Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gerg_861
Jan 2, 2009
In terms of providing some hard data, I had a countdown deal this week and decided to run a $38 (found a $2 off coupon) bargainbooksy on the Fantasy list for my one, completely dead book. At 99cent/pence I was thrilled to move another 50 units and pretty much make my ad money money back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

HOLY poo poo, Book Report is even better now.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I've been in the beta since last week, and it's basically flawless. Logged in on four devices too (laptop, IMac, phone and iPad) and it just works.

Just like macs really.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Huh. I bothered to check my monthly report for January (my first month) and my KU royalties outstripped my actual sales royalties by 3 to 1. Is that typical?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

freebooter posted:

Huh. I bothered to check my monthly report for January (my first month) and my KU royalties outstripped my actual sales royalties by 3 to 1. Is that typical?

I'd say about that, yeah.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Weird, you'd think they'd play that up more when asking whether you want to put your book in KU.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

freebooter posted:

Weird, you'd think they'd play that up more when asking whether you want to put your book in KU.

The history of KU is pretty checkered. For a while (when it first started) it was BANK, then it went to poo poo a few times and got changed a few times.

The draw is still there, but if you think about it, you lose several storefronts. So if it doesn't earn in KU what it would earn with Kobo, B&N, Smash, Fiction4all, iBooks AND Lulu all combined...

I just put all my poo poo in KU because I was lazy.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
holy poo poo new book report owns owns owns

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
So what are people reading right now? Anything interesting to share?

Welcome to Nightvale tried too hard and fell horribly flat as a result. It had its moments of hilarity, but the amount of effort required to sustain the style of humor really just didn't work outside of a podcast/radio format. I'd recommend reading the first 1/4 of the book or so just to get an example of the style, but don't try quite so hard if comedic (insert genre here) is your cup of tea.

The Girl With All The Gifts was a different take on zombie post-apoc stuff. It has five different viewpoints, each narrated competently with enough distinction to feel like they're different voices. The ending was a bit of a letdown in terms of "wait... seriously? That's it?" but the rest of the book up until that point was pretty great.

1Q84 was very enjoyable for the portion of it I got through (50% or so) before I ran out of time and had to return the 900-page monstrosity to the library. My biggest problem with Murakami is that he takes anything that could be said in three paragraphs and instead makes it three chapters. It's like that section in the middle of the Hunchback of Notre Dame where Hugo decides that yes, he will spend over one hundred pages describing the history and construction of the cathedral, except instead it's his breakfast and what he thought of the morning newspaper. There's a really neat story in the back behind it, but oof, it's a slog to get through it.

I actually haven't ready any romance lately. I'm getting lazy or something. :v:

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
I finished reading Girl With All The Gifts yesterday and had the exact same feeling of "What? Really? You want to end it how?" Without spoiling it, it seems like the author came up with his "clever" ending well into the writing of the book.

Another similar "wait, what?" ending was another postapoc, the Passage trilogy by Justin Cronin. The first two books were mostly compelling, if overly stuffed with lengthy asides. But I spent most of the last book going "why am I supposed to care about this?" before an ending that was... well, lets it felt far from earned.

I've been bingeing James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux southern detective thrillers - mostly because they're interesting, if schlocky, genre pieces with some lovely evocative scene setting. I started reading Burke with his best book, Rain Gods. Nothing else I've read of his has lived up to that, but they're still enjoyable and occasionally beautiful.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I read The Screaming Mimi by Frederic Brown, a noir mystery that has some nice "meta" narration and a fairly freaky resolution. The title refers to a statuette of a nude, screaming, terrified woman. I think the book is out of print; I got my copy at a vintage paperback show.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Picked up a few "best of 2016" short fiction collections. Trying to write more saleable shorts this year, so decided to do some market research.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
I'm almost finished my sequel to Ebb Tide :toot:

it seems like anyone with spell check and a thesaurus is offering editing services these days. Can anyone recommend an copy editor that they've worked with? I want to find someone I can have a good ongoing relationship with on this and future books. I've queried booksidemanner, who has been recommended elsewhere in this thread.

jazzyjay fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 3, 2017

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm just going to recommend Bookside Manner over and over again. :v:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Sundae posted:

I'm just going to recommend Bookside Manner over and over again. :v:

Not empty quoting.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
Haha well hope she can fit me in then!

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Am I the only one who thinks that a 0.007 rate for simple proofing is pretty :lol: ?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
It's a little more than half what you'd pay on the low end of the price spectrum for "professional" basic copy-editing according to EFA, and that lines up with quotes I've had from other editors. Also, she does great, fast work and has always given me back more than I've paid for (as if she can't help but comment on things beyond the pricing scope :v:). I think the reliability and general trust that she'll do a good job is worth more than hunting for someone who will cut $0.002 off the price per word.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 4, 2017

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Don't get me wrong, she sounds amazing.

I just can't imagine a scenario where I'd ever pay that much for proofing. I'm either writing a Big Important Thing where I'll happily shell out the big bucks for proper line/copy editing like a big boy, or I'm churning pulp where one of the kajillion .003/word proofers I trust would do a perfectly adequate job. I just don't see a middle ground where premium proofing like that would ever pay off...?

Somebody's gotta be into it, though, I guess, or she wouldn't offer the service.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Trustworthy posted:

Don't get me wrong, she sounds amazing.

I just can't imagine a scenario where I'd ever pay that much for proofing. I'm either writing a Big Important Thing where I'll happily shell out the big bucks for proper line/copy editing like a big boy, or I'm churning pulp where one of the kajillion .003/word proofers I trust would do a perfectly adequate job. I just don't see a middle ground where premium proofing like that would ever pay off...?

Somebody's gotta be into it, though, I guess, or she wouldn't offer the service.

I've gone both sides of the board. The cheaper one was OK but not quite what I wanted. The more expensive ones were very much more expensive and didn't offer anything more than I got Bookside.

Bookside has been a pleasure to work with and will definitely do my next book once I finally get done with the draft review.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Top dog nomination has closed and top dog subforum voting has started!

Go there and vote, then go out and vote up all the other dogs in the other forums, but make sure to only vote for the bad ones (tactical dog voting)

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Released the second book in my series a few days ago and somebody on Goodreads who didn't even rate the first has given it one star, which somehow breaks the space-time continuum and gives you a -2 rating.... https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34447188-end-times?ac=1&from_search=true

edit - My mistake, they also gave the first book a meh rating. I'm just bemused by how it's actually possible to get a sub-zero rating.

edit 2 - Goodreads is really fascinating. I never would have thought the vast majority of readers of a zombie series would be women.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 5, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

freebooter posted:

Released the second book in my series a few days ago and somebody on Goodreads who didn't even rate the first has given it one star, which somehow breaks the space-time continuum and gives you a -2 rating.... https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34447188-end-times?ac=1&from_search=true

edit - My mistake, they also gave the first book a meh rating. I'm just bemused by how it's actually possible to get a sub-zero rating.

edit 2 - Goodreads is really fascinating. I never would have thought the vast majority of readers of a zombie series would be women.

If she didn't like the first book, why go and read the second? People are weird.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Facebook Aunt posted:

If she didn't like the first book, why go and read the second? People are weird.

Two possibilities;

1) The genre has readers with more money than discerning options to spend it on, meaning that it's definitely a good genre to be putting out a buttload of content in

or

2) People are weird.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

freebooter posted:

Goodreads has twice as many female users as male, though, so you're going to get a skewed perspective if you rely on those reviews to figure out your audience.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

freebooter posted:

Thank you for posting this. I never looked up my mystery on Goodreads, and even with my lovely cover I have a 4 star rating. :woop:My romance series (different name) has 2 stars :(

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Oh yeah, my reviews on Goodreads are TERRIBLE - way worse than my Amazon reviews for some reason.

Anybody else not able to get into KDP currently? Keeps throwing an error message at me.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

moana posted:

Goodreads has twice as many female users as male, though, so you're going to get a skewed perspective if you rely on those reviews to figure out your audience.

Ah, that hadn't occurred to me - cognitive bias I guess, since I'm male and a heavy user of Goodreads.

Whatever happened to LibraryThing, do people still use that?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I released the second part of my series on March 1, and made the first part free for a week to promote it. I guess people love free stuff:

http://i63.tinypic.com/2afc4cl.jpg (SA doesn't seem to show images for me anymore?)

Anyway, pretty pleased with that obviously, especially cracking the top 10 free horror downloads. But I'll wait to see if it flows through to actual ratings, reviews and subsequent purchases. I think a lot of people probably just harvest the free lists to add to their TBR pile and maybe never get around to actually reading what they download.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

freebooter posted:

I released the second part of my series on March 1, and made the first part free for a week to promote it. I guess people love free stuff:

http://i63.tinypic.com/2afc4cl.jpg (SA doesn't seem to show images for me anymore?)

Anyway, pretty pleased with that obviously, especially cracking the top 10 free horror downloads. But I'll wait to see if it flows through to actual ratings, reviews and subsequent purchases. I think a lot of people probably just harvest the free lists to add to their TBR pile and maybe never get around to actually reading what they download.

Linking in-line images requires a host that uses https instead of http, so try imgur. :)

Anyway, good job!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Are any other romance authors struggling to get decent traction these days? It seems like the market is so ridiculously saturated right now that I'm really finding it difficult to get my new releases to stick. I am writing in probably the most competitive genre (Bad Boy) so maybe it's time to switch things up a little and try another niche.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bardeh posted:

Are any other romance authors struggling to get decent traction these days? It seems like the market is so ridiculously saturated right now that I'm really finding it difficult to get my new releases to stick. I am writing in probably the most competitive genre (Bad Boy) so maybe it's time to switch things up a little and try another niche.

Try M/M.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

freebooter posted:

It's frustratingly difficult to find decent studies on this, but from the ones I've found it seems like women read more than men do in general.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

psychopomp posted:

Picked up a few "best of 2016" short fiction collections. Trying to write more saleable shorts this year, so decided to do some market research.

Do you publish short stories individually, or in collections?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I tried both in the days of yore, 2011-2012. Sales were weak either way, at least compared to novels.

These days I'd rather just submit them to magazines, then later collect them and sell an anthology almost as an afterthought, without expectation of much in the way of sales.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Wow, I didn't know about this and it's amazing. My royalty statements have so far been a pleasant surprise because (as far as I know) there's no way to track what you're earning with Kindle Select before the statement is generated, unless you feel like cracking out the calculator yourself. But it's now 4x what I make from actual sales.

I've also cracked over $1,000 AUD in less than three months of sales, which I realise is chump change compared to what some of you make, but I'm honestly stoked about that. Way more than I ever would have imagined making from this.

On a less e/n note, it's really fascinating to see how heavily concentrated sales are in the US:

quote:

Earnings by Store

96.9% from the US store.
2.2% from the UK store.
0.5% from the AU store.
0.4% from the CA store.

Just taking those four countries, all of which speak English (and I'm an Australian author writing a book set in Australia), Australia/UK/Canada make up 25% of the combined population but only 3% of the sales. Goes to show just how much new technology like ereaders and Amazon is invented and propagated in the US, and only slowly trickles out to the rest of the world. Certainly I know very few Australians with an ereader, and none at all who would buy from Amazon.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
Yeah Book Report is fantastic. Now instead of refreshing my KDP Reports page every 10 minutes to see if someone's bought a copy, I can just have it running in the background, ready to ruin my writing flow when I forget about it and it suddenly goes KA-CHING.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

freebooter posted:

Wow, I didn't know about this and it's amazing. My royalty statements have so far been a pleasant surprise because (as far as I know) there's no way to track what you're earning with Kindle Select before the statement is generated, unless you feel like cracking out the calculator yourself. But it's now 4x what I make from actual sales.

I've also cracked over $1,000 AUD in less than three months of sales, which I realise is chump change compared to what some of you make, but I'm honestly stoked about that. Way more than I ever would have imagined making from this.

On a less e/n note, it's really fascinating to see how heavily concentrated sales are in the US:

Just taking those four countries, all of which speak English (and I'm an Australian author writing a book set in Australia), Australia/UK/Canada make up 25% of the combined population but only 3% of the sales. Goes to show just how much new technology like ereaders and Amazon is invented and propagated in the US, and only slowly trickles out to the rest of the world. Certainly I know very few Australians with an ereader, and none at all who would buy from Amazon.

Some of those US sales may be lying about their nationality though. I'm in Canada, but I have an Amazon.com account as well as an amazon.ca account. I do Mechanical Turk tasks sometimes and those pay out in amazon.com (not .ca) credits, so if I buy anything but e-books and apps I have to pay international shipping and customs charges. I've bought a few e-books from the US site, but never from the Canadian.

monkfoot
Jul 21, 2007
Whoops
Just published a cyberpunk/mystery novella. First in the series. Anyone know any paid newsletters that are good for scifi?

quote:

In the wired future, how can someone just…disappear?

Glitch, a retired cybercriminal, wants to stay hidden, but when her neighbor knocks on her door, her whole life changes.

A missing girl is on a long list of things that are not Glitch’s problem, but the curious case dredges up fears hidden in Glitch’s shadowy past.

Alphaville has a habit of sucking the life out of the innocent, and there is only so much time to spare.

https://www.amazon.com/neon-echo-Seth-Ross-ebook/dp/B06XQYQFB6/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

monkfoot posted:

Just published a cyberpunk/mystery novella. First in the series. Anyone know any paid newsletters that are good for scifi?

http://www.readersintheknow.com/list-of-book-promotion-sites