Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
WMOTYC: Cesaro vs. Jinder, WWE Fastlane, 3/5

Nominating this for how it killed the crowd, and was the first time I've heard that much negative reaction for a Cesaro match, and we should've gotten Cesaro/Rusev and Jinder getting smashed into dust by Big Show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It was a perfectly fine match and it wasn't either of their faults that they were put in that position, so I don't second

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Frankston posted:

I'd second KO vs Goldberg for wmotyc because it was poo poo, boring and a bad wrestling match.

I agree with this, I'm just baffled as to why essentially the same match with Lesnar got a bunch of MOTY nominations. I guess people were really sick of Lesnar's poo poo.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Just caught up with the two shows.

HM: Shibata/Sabre Jr.
HM: Okada/Tiger Mask W
HM: Neville/Gallagher
WMOTYC: Owens/Goldberg

DJExile posted:

plus what else are you gonna do with Goldberg? If you're that committed to putting him on TV/PPV that's about all you can do at this point. Dude's 50 years old.

If he's not capable of doing more than 20 second matches, maybe just let him squash nobodies and not put the title on him. How many more network subscriptions will Goldberg/Lesnar for the Universal title do vs. just Goldberg/Lesnar, anyway?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Stale Saltines posted:

I agree with this, I'm just baffled as to why essentially the same match with Lesnar got a bunch of MOTY nominations. I guess people were really sick of Lesnar's poo poo.

Lesnar was built as a monster and so seeing him get squashed was loving rad as hell and totally new, plus he's essentially a part timer so it didn't really matter. Owens getting squashed AND losing the belt was basically a massive wet fart that stole the belt for literally no reason for a fued that in no way needed it, destroyed a main event full time dude AND was the same match AGAIN.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Baron Corbyn posted:

WMOTYC: Owens/Goldberg

2nd. What a colossal waste of time.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

HM: Goldberg/Owens at fastlane

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Nevermind

Senerio fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 3, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

flashy_mcflash posted:

You can absolutely count it as a third.

Cheers, I hadn't but I will now. Adding it to the MOTY list.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Alain Post posted:

HM: Braun Strowman v. Roman Reigns, WWE Fastlane 3/5

Frankly I would go MOTYC because no match where BRAUN attempts a Superfly Splash should go below a MOTYC but I think HM is more likely.

gently caress it, thirded

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Stale Saltines posted:

Overpushed Brock who was no longer internet darling compared with underpushed Kevin Owens who everyone loves. Plus surprise vs. everyone seeing it coming.

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

WMOTYC: Cesaro vs. Jinder, WWE Fastlane, 3/5

Nominating this for how it killed the crowd, and was the first time I've heard that much negative reaction for a Cesaro match, and we should've gotten Cesaro/Rusev and Jinder getting smashed into dust by Big Show.

2nd. So dang boring.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I've updated the second post with February's nominations as far as I can tell. I haven't counted where people have just talked in general about the match without saying if they think it is Match of the year/Worst of the Year, an HM etc - if I've missed or miscounted anything let me know.

I think you missed Naito/Elgin. It got four nominations, I think that's the minimum?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

owens/goldberg wmoty. it made no sense for the ref to wait 10 years for the perfect conditions to ring the bell, and then only actually ring the bell once someone's music has hit and they've started walking toward the ring. distraction finishes suck and distraction finishes abetted by the referee are worse. they could have achieved the same result in any number of more creative ways

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Baron Corbyn posted:

I think you missed Naito/Elgin. It got four nominations, I think that's the minimum?

You're right, I missed the 4th in among the Elimination Chamber nominations. Adding it now.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Can commentary turn a pretty average match into a WMOTY?

https://twitter.com/polwres/status/840200747153264641

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Can commentary turn a pretty average match into a WMOTY?

https://twitter.com/polwres/status/840200747153264641

Genuinely the worst commentary I've ever heard. Give me the guy from Heroes of Wrestling calling "flying leg kicks" any day of the week.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Bobby Fish vs Jay Lethal, ROH 15th Anniversary

One of the best submission near falls I've seen in awhile. Must see match.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

From Dragon Gate's March Korakuen Show, 3/8
HM: Over Generation with Doi vs. Verserk Headhunting Match - CIMA, Dragon Kid, Eita, Takehiro Yamamura, and Naruki Doi vs. Shingo Takagi, T-Hawk, "brother" YASSHI, El Lindaman, and Punch Tominaga

Yamamura has been getting pushed hard in the past couple of months and he's been really impressive stepping up to the plate.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna give Hardys Bucks and Ropongi Vice the MOTYC

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Yeah, yeah why not 2nd

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

3rd. Every second of that match was great

I'll also agree with the hm for Scurll vs Lio Rush

schweens fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 11, 2017

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MOTYC - Hardy's vs. Young Bucks vs. Roppongi Vice
HM - Bobby Fish vs. Jay Lethal
HM - Marty Scurll vs. Lio Rush
HM - Adam Cole vs. Christopher Daniels

From ROH 15th Anniversary, 3/10

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

WMOTYC: Yuji Nagata vs. Tanga Roa, New Japan Cup 1st Round, 03/11

Roa is just not good at singles matches, and it didn't help that Nagata is kinda past his prime. Also, it dragged on for those 11 minutes. Kinda like Cesaro/Jinder from Fastlane. Really bad match.

HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Evil, New Japan Cup 1st Round, 03/11

Made both of them look strong, didn't bury LIJ at all. Lovely middle with the chairs, and a pretty good gently caress finish too.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Sure

HM: Tanahashi/EVIL

Tanga Roa's running commentary was entertaining enough to keep that match above WMOTYC though.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Baron Corbyn posted:

Tanga Roa's running commentary was entertaining enough to keep that match above WMOTYC though.

Agreed.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Kenny Omega vs. Tomohiro Ishii, New Japan Cup 1st Round, 03/12

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

Seconded. Holy poo poo what a match.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Baron Corbyn posted:

2nd

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Corbyn posted:

I don't see what Ishii added that couldn't be seen in basically any of his other matches and Kenny has at least two well discussed in this thread that was better than this and I think maybe the early morning is to blame for such a high appraisal but on the other hand, I must say emphatically that I love cum.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Baron Corbyn posted:

Nth

I don't see what Ishii added that couldn't be seen in basically any of his other matches and Kenny has at least two well discussed in this thread that was better than this and I think maybe the early morning is to blame for such a high appraisal but on the other hand, I must say emphatically that I love cum.

Nth, cum is great

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Baron Corbyn posted:

Any other year this is a really strong contender. Felt like it's #3 behind the Dome match and Okada/Suzuki. But still really awesome.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Baron Corbyn posted:

Yup

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

2nd

But also

HM: Omega v. Ishii, New Japan Cup 1st Round, 3/12

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
MOTYC: L.A. Park vs. Rush, Baracal Entertainment, 3/11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cohQCntAx7c

These dudes were born to beat the poo poo out of each other

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

Nthing.

In what other matches has Ishii done a top-rope frankensteiner? This is a serious inquiry. I wanna see him do more stuff like that.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

When ishii reversed the one winged angel into a stunner only it being 5am stopped me from losing my mind.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

sportsgenius86 posted:

MOTYC - Hardy's vs. Young Bucks vs. Roppongi Vice
HM - Bobby Fish vs. Jay Lethal
HM - Marty Scurll vs. Lio Rush
HM - Adam Cole vs. Christopher Daniels

From ROH 15th Anniversary, 3/10

I agree with this list.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Suplex Liberace posted:

When ishii reversed the one winged angel into a stunner only it being 5am stopped me from losing my mind.

I like Kenny but I hope they have him continue to lose so we get more ridiculous counters to the OWA.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

MOTYC: L.A. Park vs. Rush, Baracal Entertainment, 3/11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cohQCntAx7c

These dudes were born to beat the poo poo out of each other

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012