Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

Is there an extention or userscript that will stop a page from loading embedded YouTube videos? A site for a game I play lets people embed YouTube videos, and it tends to slow Firefox down for a few seconds while it processes them. Frankly, I don't care about the videos, so I'd like to just stop them from loading.

Maybe this one: https://addons.mozilla.org/En-us/firefox/addon/youtube-auto-pausestop/

Don't know if it works off the main domain, don't know what else it does. Just wanted to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Kheldarn posted:

Is there an extention or userscript that will stop a page from loading embedded YouTube videos? A site for a game I play lets people embed YouTube videos, and it tends to slow Firefox down for a few seconds while it processes them. Frankly, I don't care about the videos, so I'd like to just stop them from loading.

YoutubeCenter has options to prevent autoplay/autobuffer for embedded ("external") youtube videos. It's available as an extension and a userscript; I use the userscript one in various browsers and it works fine there. I presume the extension (use the dev one) is kept as up-to-date as the userscript.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Zenostein posted:

YoutubeCenter has options to prevent autoplay/autobuffer for embedded ("external") youtube videos. It's available as an extension and a userscript; I use the userscript one in various browsers and it works fine there. I presume the extension (use the dev one) is kept as up-to-date as the userscript.

Yeah, I've been using that for a long time now, but it doesn't do anything to websites that embed videos. The site has to query YouTube, and get the info for the video, and that's what's slowing it down. I don't think there's anything that can fix or disable that, sadly. I remember that it's one of the reasons I disabled vidoes here, and instead just get links to them.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

You can absolutely block that with uBlock or uMatrix. See this example: https://lambda.sx/cIu.webm

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Actually, I just figured out how to block it with AdBlock Plus' Element Hiding Helper. The site uses an iframe for the videos, so that really helped.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Kheldarn posted:

Actually, I just figured out how to block it with AdBlock Plus' Element Hiding Helper. The site uses an iframe for the videos, so that really helped.

Youtube's embed code uses an iframe of a specific size, and I'm pretty sure you can create an adblock filter for that, if you really wanted.
Also, ublock's UI has a nice interface so you could just shut off any connections to youtube (globally or on a specific site)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Is there a good new-extensions-framework compatible version of Snap Links Plus yet? Like from another dev, since the current one doesn't seem interested in doing that.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
there are a couple greasemonkey scripts that convert embedded youtubes into text links. at one point I had one that would fetch the video title and use that as the text link, but I think that died in a yt update.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Klyith posted:

there are a couple greasemonkey scripts that convert embedded youtubes into text links. at one point I had one that would fetch the video title and use that as the text link, but I think that died in a yt update.

YouTube Link Title lives on at greasyfork, where it's still being updated! I've been using it for years and don't know how people live without it.

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/413-youtube-link-title

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
drat you extensions.

I found an extension that does exactly what I want in the Chrome web store. It works great in Chrome.

The same company has basically the same extension for Firefox. It's a WebExtension. Looks exactly the same. The Firefox version doesn't work at all. The menu item in the context menu does nothing at all. It doesn't even say that it failed to do something. The popout window version that provides more data says "couldn't find an answer for your query" for everything. I have no idea why. Maybe it's using an outdated API call on the extension developer's end that now just returns null, and nobody bothered to update the Firefox version. I have no way of knowing. Is there a debug UI for requests sent by extensions to see? Regular dev tools isn't showing poo poo.

What I'm really saying is, drat Chrome's market share causing extension devs to only pay attention to the version of their extension that runs on Chrome. I can't really blame them though--the Chrome version has 7k users; the Firefox version has 300. We are a dying breed.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
WebExtensions haven't been around in Firefox for very long so it's pretty unlikely that something's been deprecated already. Are you sure it's not using any features that are only available in Nightly?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Last night Firefox was extremely crashy - at least half a dozen times within maybe 45 minutes. Many of the crashes were accompanied by Windows 10's low memory warning, so I've been running memtest86 for about an hour now but so far nothing's shown up. What else could cause this behavior?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

hooah posted:

Last night Firefox was extremely crashy - at least half a dozen times within maybe 45 minutes. Many of the crashes were accompanied by Windows 10's low memory warning, so I've been running memtest86 for about an hour now but so far nothing's shown up. What else could cause this behavior?

Did you already check task manager to see what process(es) might have a memory leak?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Firefox was using about 1.5 gigs of RAM the one time I was able to check while it was slowing down the it before the crash.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Anyone have issues with Sync constantly wanting to re-authenticate? It only happens on my Windows machine. Tried an uninstall (and upgrade to the 64bit version), as well as a refresh. I'll log back in and within two days I'll get the 'reconnect to sync' warning. Tried clearing out a bunch of old registered installs off my account, still happens. No issues with my macs or iphone.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

The Milkman posted:

Anyone have issues with Sync constantly wanting to re-authenticate? It only happens on my Windows machine. Tried an uninstall (and upgrade to the 64bit version), as well as a refresh. I'll log back in and within two days I'll get the 'reconnect to sync' warning. Tried clearing out a bunch of old registered installs off my account, still happens. No issues with my macs or iphone.

TIL about about :sync-log

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

hooah posted:

Firefox was using about 1.5 gigs of RAM the one time I was able to check while it was slowing down the it before the crash.

Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit Firefox? I remember having weird stuff happen (crashing, pages partially rendering) on 32-bit Firefox when it got close to 2 gigs used.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

pairofdimes posted:

Are they actually GIFs or embedded videos? A lot of sites can serve both, so the videos can be hardware accelerated but the actual GIFs won't. There also was a bug that would make Firefox hang entirely for a while processing GIFs but I think that was fixed a few versions ago.

If you want to make Firefox chug real bad, just visit the the smilies list right here on these dead forums. No videos, no 50MB gifs.

Chrome handles that page way better.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

hooah posted:

I have problem where closing some tabs with specific pages crashes Firefox.
Close the tab, Firefox crashes.
Restart Firefox, Close the tab, Firefox crashes.
Restart, change tab, Quit. Firefox crashes.
Restart, now the non-crashy tab is on foreground and the crashy tab hasn't loaded yet, so you can close it without crashing.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Wheany posted:

If you want to make Firefox chug real bad, just visit the the smilies list right here on these dead forums. No videos, no 50MB gifs.

Can you elaborate? Aside from the images taking a bit of time to load (or at least get to painting the first frame), it works just fine and everything animates smoothly.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Avenging Dentist posted:

Can you elaborate? Aside from the images taking a bit of time to load (or at least get to painting the first frame), it works just fine and everything animates smoothly.

The "first frame" on my work laptop takes like 30 seconds (although I didn't time it) of the browser being completely unresponsive. At home, it renders the first 1-2 rows okayish, then it starts chugging until it completely stops for a long time before recovering.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wheany posted:

That page works fine for me and I've seen if choke in Chrome. Have 10 tabs open in addition to it, one playing music and one paused youtube, which tend to eat a bit of resource. But the emoticons loaded quite slowly, the popped into view one by one, row by row, each row taking a second and a half or something like that. About half way down they started loading faster, once the page was fully loaded it scrolled and animated fine.

One thing that can slow down Firefox for me is my habit of browsing youtube and opening videos I'd like to see in new tabs (with pause unless in focus enabled). Chrome handles this very well, but Firefox can choke at 7 or 8. It starts using quite a bit of cpu and around 1500 megs of RAM - a bit weird that it doesn't use more of my 8 gigs installed - and it definitely is the 64-bit edition. Typing gets slow, videos won't buffer, you have to restart it. Weirdly, not always.

It wouldn't be too surprising if Google developers wrote better code than the Mozilla foundation, used resources more efficiently etc. But Google has a toddler's attention span and as soon as they have perfected a feature it is discarded and replaced or tweaked and broken. Maps 3D still doesn't work in my Chrome browser, it works fine in Firefox.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Sexual attraction in this context is not a part of my programming
Never heard of uBlock before but just switched to it, also enabled my tracking protection, cheers dudes

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

pairofdimes posted:

Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit Firefox? I remember having weird stuff happen (crashing, pages partially rendering) on 32-bit Firefox when it got close to 2 gigs used.

64-bit

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ok, here's a weird issue. On one specific site, right clicking any link causes both mouse events to be triggered, i.e. both the right click context menu opens and the link is left clicked.

The site in question: https://www.nrk.no/ (Norwegian news site)

It doesn't happen in Chrome and it doesn't happen on other sites, even the subdomain https://tv.nrk.no/

Any ideas on what's up?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Misbehaving add-on, maybe? It isn't doing it for me.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bieeardo posted:

Misbehaving add-on, maybe? It isn't doing it for me.

I had ruled that out, since my only addon is uBlock and I had disabled it for that site. But when I enable it, the problem goes away. So thanks! Only when it's disabled does the problem occur. Tested disabling it on another site, same problem doesn't appear. Some weird combo of factors triggers a bug in uBlock I guess.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
My suspicion is they're using some kind of scripting in an attempt to keep people from copying text or whatever. Wouldn't be the first site doing that.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Ola posted:

I had ruled that out, since my only addon is uBlock and I had disabled it for that site. But when I enable it, the problem goes away. So thanks! Only when it's disabled does the problem occur. Tested disabling it on another site, same problem doesn't appear. Some weird combo of factors triggers a bug in uBlock I guess.

I just poked at it again with ublock turned off and it still worked properly, so your guess is as good as mine. Glad to have been of help though!

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I've got a few machines running v51 that refuse to see v52. Some see 52.0.1 and update but others dont. Does Mozilla stagger the update? I'm lazy to click 3 more times and manually grab the installer

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Mozilla does gradually push out update notifications but they usually roll out in a few days. There's probably something wrong with those machines.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
You should be able to go Help > About Firefox (or hamburger, question mark, About Firefox). If there is a new update it will start to download it immediately. It will also tell you both the release and the update channel you are on.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Thats the thing, I'm going to Help>About and clicking Check for updates. Nothing. Not a big deal tho, I'll download the stub

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
My Firefox had been using 2 processes since the past updates, but now it's back to one process. Did something happen?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

about :support (no space) will tell you if it's doing that and why under Application Basics > Multiprocess Windows.

Firefox considers Windows' touch keyboard an accessibility feature.

Mozilla has problems dealing with user accessibility.

More details here.

Fix: go to about :config (also no space) and make a new boolean named browser.tabs.remote.force-enable and set it to true.

Also even if multiprocess is fine it won't actually start new processes until it has to start rendering Web content and even then only something like one per window.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 26, 2017

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011

dont be mean to me posted:

about :support (no space) will tell you if it's doing that and why under Application Basics > Multiprocess Windows.

Firefox considers Windows' touch keyboard an accessibility feature.

Mozilla has problems dealing with user accessibility.

More details here.

Fix: go to about :config (also no space) and make a new boolean named browser.tabs.remote.force-enable and set it to true.

Also even if multiprocess is fine it won't actually start new processes until it has to start rendering Web content and even then only something like one per window.

Thank you for your help. Turns out it was one of my addons. I got rid of it and it seems to be working great.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Can anyone recommend a replacement extension for Web of Trust?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Is there a decent alternative to tree style tab yet? So far the only ones I've found are Vertical Tabs Reloaded and Tab Tree, neither of which let you actually collapse trees.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Wait, why are you trying to find a replacement for tree style tab? It's still actively updated and works with versions as high as 55.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Google related stuff seems to be eating plenty of ram lately, like watching a youtube stream or accessing Gmail.