Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

The courtroom/lawyering is pretty much complete bullshit though.

It's probably less realistic than the blind guy martial arts but I still enjoy it.

Finn Jones posted:

"Well I think there’s multiple factors. What I will say is these shows are not made for critics, they are first and foremost made for the fans. I also think some of the reviews we saw were seeing the show through a very specific lens, and I think when the fans of the Marvel Netflix world and fans of the comic books view the show through the lens of just wanting to enjoy a superhero show, then they will really enjoy what they see. I think it’s a fantastic show which is really fun and I think it stands up there with the other Defenders’ shows without a doubt."
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/m...reviews-a149583

Whew, that's a relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Huh, I didn't know the fans wanted boring, sluggish action sequences that make the character seem like a complete amateur.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just don't understand how they can go

Catholic lawyer struggling against themes of injustice & guilt
Woman struggling with themes of helplessness and rape culture
Black man struggling with themes of racism, gang-violence and corruption
White dude struggling with themes of Kung-Fu and demanding people take you seriously despite dressing like a beach bum

"oh yeah this checks out"

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Bust Rodd posted:

White dude struggling with themes of Kung-Fu and demanding people take you seriously despite dressing like a beach bum

White able-bodied male privilege?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
idk why but when I saw the first teaser for Iron Fist I thought it was gonna be like what Legion turned out to be but also Kung Fu.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Why is the answer always, "Oh sorry, this wasn't for the critics?" At least claim it's because the poor bastards have only seen part of the picture, and when seen in totality all will be right. poo poo man, at least go with some old, homespun, wisdom about assholes and opinions.

I would really love to see a critical darling/financial failure apologize because it wasn't for the critics though.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Finn Jones keeps going on record saying that Iron Fist is going to be exploring the 'problematic' aspects of the show's premise.

Is it fair to hope that the back seven episodes turns things around? I mean he might just be blowing smoke, but it's a very impassioned defence for there to be nothing going on at all. I'd understand if the show tried to address whitewashing, cultural appropriation, et al. and botched it; but that's not what critics seem to be claiming. It's a weird disconnect.

Also, I'm pretty sure some the reviews so far have come from critics familiar with the source material. I'm also pretty sure Finn Jones has never read an Iron Fist comic in his life. It's really disingenuous for him to be playing the 'true fan' card.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Everyone's a true fan once they get hired.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yakmouth posted:

Finn Jones keeps going on record saying that Iron Fist is going to be exploring the 'problematic' aspects of the show's premise.

Is it fair to hope that the back seven episodes turns things around? I mean he might just be blowing smoke, but it's a very impassioned defence for there to be nothing going on at all. I'd understand if the show tried to address whitewashing, cultural appropriation, et al. and botched it; but that's not what critics seem to be claiming. It's a weird disconnect.

Also, I'm pretty sure some the reviews so far have come from critics familiar with the source material. I'm also pretty sure Finn Jones has never read an Iron Fist comic in his life. It's really disingenuous for him to be playing the 'true fan' card.

If you're hired and in part paid to go on press junkets then you're contractually obligated to talk up whatever marketing tells you to, or something. Even lovely movies have their stars try to sell it to people...and only later will they (maybe) come back and apologize for how dreadful the movie was. Doesn't take away from them lying about it in the first place, tho.

Could be also that he's just too close to view it without extreme prejudice.

I'm guessing it's not the latter, however.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yakmouth posted:

I mean the other shows arguably fell off during the last 6 episodes of their seasons, so it's possible that this is somehow the opposite of those. Not likely, but you never know.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Clarke Greg also kept arguing that fans should stick with SHIELD over the initial growing pains and you know what? He was right.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Obviously Iron Fist is in full-blown damage control mode right now, I get that. What I guess I'm curious about is if Jones actually is parroting the party line here, or if he's going rogue. I can't imagine his comments so far are having a positive or calming effect.

On the one hand, I expect Disney PR to be better than this. On the other hand I know for fact they know how to keep their cast on-message, so I'm at a real loss to understand what's going on.

I'm starting to suspect that Jones is being set up as a sacrificial lamb to protect the IP.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

PriorMarcus posted:

Clarke Greg also kept arguing that fans should stick with SHIELD over the initial growing pains and you know what? He was right.

True that!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PriorMarcus posted:

"Trust me guys, after the first season it gets WAAAAY better."

:rolleyes:
Maybe, but haha, Jesus Christ.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Yakmouth posted:

Nah, he probably read at least one before auditioning, then probably a bunch of them afterwards. Actors usually go and get at least casually acquainted with their character material when they get a part. Plus it's a series of around 20 page picture books with pretty colors, dragons, and cool onomatopoeias. It's not 10,000 page Russian novels on why life is meaningless or yet another century plus British novel on class about the most boring twiddlefucks to ever eat blood sausages.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Bust Rodd posted:

Thank you for summing it up so perfectly.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Gyges posted:

another century plus British novel on class about the most boring twiddlefucks to ever eat blood sausages.

Looks like someone hasn't read the limited series about Mr. Darcy becoming the Iron Fist.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Drifter posted:

"Trust me guys, after the first season it gets WAAAAY better."

:rolleyes:
Maybe, but haha, Jesus Christ.

It's more that 2/3rds of the first season are not representative of the rest of the series in any way

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also he didn't say stick around it gets better, he said people who don't like the show are losers.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

Also he didn't say stick around it gets better, he said people who don't like the show are losers.

Well, poo poo. I don't want to be a loser...

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I'm willing to let Clark Gregg get away with anything. Agents of SHIELD is the best thing that's been on TV in years that isn't Fargo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even if that were true it doesn't even negate having been in The New Adventures of Old Christine.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Can someone quickly explain what Agents of Shield is? I don't know anyone watching it and the commercials make me think it's like X-Files but with Marvel universe dudes in a "monster of the week" thing but I've done literally no research and now the Internet tells me it's super good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The first ~15 episodes of season 1 are mostly Monster of the Week. The monsters are mostly the work of a single organization so there's a bit of an overarching plot though.

Then Winter Soldier happened and shakes up the show a bunch. It got a lot more into extended plots and story arcs after that.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
If you like Doctor Who then you will probably enjoy AoS.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I really like Agents of shield but honestly it all kind of blurs together other than Brett Dalton being fun to watch. It's still definitely worth watching, the show takes a huge quality turn mid late season 1 which doesn't excuse it but there's a lot worse things to watch on tv.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bust Rodd posted:

Can someone quickly explain what Agents of Shield is? I don't know anyone watching it and the commercials make me think it's like X-Files but with Marvel universe dudes in a "monster of the week" thing but I've done literally no research and now the Internet tells me it's super good.

Its not "super" good, but it's really entertaining, they have 1/10 the budget of a marvel movie to shoot 10x the content of a marvel movie so you get a LOT of the character and villain development the films get flack for glossing over. And it's the better for it. Like you're just fooling yourself if you saw there was a ghost rider arc coming up and expected the effects to be on-par with the film version, but they STILL did a drat good job with it, not hiding the head behind large props like a pregnant lady's mid section.

One of the best arcs in the entire series is one of the team members eventually turning evil and this happens over like 40+ episodes, you're NEVER getting that sort of slowwwww reveal in a film. The show has it's problems but it also has a ton of positives.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Adding that AoS is good. There's a lot of entertainment there if you start from the beginning (just keep low expectations for the first half of the first season).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The Hydra stuff was pretty cool, the Inhuman stuff is poo poo.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

HIJK posted:

If you like Doctor Who then you will probably enjoy AoS.

This amazingly accurate and can be read as either a compliment or an insult

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Piell posted:

The Inhuman stuff in season 2 isn't so much about Inhumans, it is about Daisy finding her parents. Otherwise Inhumans are just this shows way of doing powers which saves us from technological horrors or Doctors Becoming Mr Hyde...which they've done already by actually using Mr. Hyde.

EDIT: First 15 episodes are a bit of a drag with some highlights, but it is on Netflix and you can breeze through it quickly. They actually drop hints at S1's overall plot as soon as the second episode. And after the big "reveal" in episode 16, it makes one character's lines and actions very interesting in retrospect.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I consider the ups and downs of AoS to be comparable to Fringe - a show I enjoy that certainly has low points made more bearable by solid characters/acting and with some pretty memorable highs if you stick around for them. Not as X-Files as Fringe, but it has more fun with the setting in season 2+ than the CSI-lite it feels like in the early going.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Uhhh, with the caveat that FRINGE is actually good, though.

...people trying to compare AoS to Fringe for gently caress's sake... :rolleyes:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Honestly the only thing that matters for my family's viewing choices is if Iron Fist is better than International House Hunters.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

notthegoatseguy posted:

The Inhuman stuff in season 2 isn't so much about Inhumans, it is about Daisy finding her parents. Otherwise Inhumans are just this shows way of doing powers which saves us from technological horrors or Doctors Becoming Mr Hyde...which they've done already by actually using Mr. Hyde.

EDIT: First 15 episodes are a bit of a drag with some highlights, but it is on Netflix and you can breeze through it quickly. They actually drop hints at S1's overall plot as soon as the second episode. And after the big "reveal" in episode 16, it makes one character's lines and actions very interesting in retrospect.

Yes and Daisy's quest was boring as hell

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Drifter posted:

Uhhh, with the caveat that FRINGE is actually good, though.

...people trying to compare AoS to Fringe for gently caress's sake... :rolleyes:

Yeah, both high-concept shows with garbage beginnings that find their footing after a while and scrape by in the ratings. Maybe you have some rose-tinted glasses about it, but it was pretty bad at times. Also I'm not people, I'm just one person.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Piell posted:

The show has become a great deal more entertaining since Ghost Rider and LMDs showed up.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Electromax posted:

Yeah, both high-concept shows with garbage beginnings that find their footing after a while and scrape by in the ratings. Maybe you have some rose-tinted glasses about it, but it was pretty bad at times. Also I'm not people, I'm just one person.

Fringe had some preeeeeeeetty loving atrocious parts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiDLGMYf_UU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hakkesshu posted:

Fringe had some preeeeeeeetty loving atrocious parts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiDLGMYf_UU

That actually owns. Torv ended playing like 6 different versions/characters by the time the show ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fringe was overall decent if you leave out most of the first season because it doesn't matter, that one season where they rewrote the timeline so the main character never existed and it was all about getting him back even though nobody remembered him, and the last season where they were canceled and decided to just skip ahead seventeen seasons