Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

iospace posted:

Aren't most 1000km races around 10hr anyway? I know Petit Le Mans was a 1000km race (or 10 hours, whichever happened first), but switched to 10 hours recently.

it was 1000mi or 10 hours (whichever was shorter), but they changed it to straight up 10 hours with the IMSA/ALMS merger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kilonum posted:

it was 1000mi or 10 hours (whichever was shorter), but they changed it to straight up 10 hours with the IMSA/ALMS merger

Right, miles :downs:

Ah well.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Kilonum posted:

Yeah, and the only time it ever went to time was if there was a whole bunch of rain or cautions.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cool thing, British GT will actually have a UK TV deal this year. It's on Front Runner which is a seemingly new channel I've never heard of but it's a free channel and they'll be airing the Mini Challenge support races as well.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I heard something about Stadium Super Trucks today that I hadn't before today. I don't know how accurate it is because someone on Reddit mentioned it in passing, but it does make a lot of sense in retrospect.

Remember the first season of SST? When it raced in actual stadiums and did things they way that Mickey Thompson used to do them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ocW0PE050U

Halfway through that first season, SST abruptly changed course, cancelled events in other stadiums, and stuck to smaller venues and Indycar support races. At the time I had thought the financial expenditure was just too much and Robby put the series into survival mode.

But if a Random Internet Commenter That Seems to Know What He is Talking About is to be believed, what really happened is that Feld, they of Supercross and Monster Jam, saw SST as a threat to their stadium shows and pressured stadiums that had booked SST and Feld events to pick us or them. That was a pretty easy choice, one that screwed Robby and robbed us of a proper revival of stadium truck racing.

I wonder why Feld wouldn't have seen an opportunity with this, as stadium racing pairs splendidly with monster trucks. (Robby had monster trucks in some of his first stadium SST races.) Monster Jam x SST crossover events would have made a killing.

SST as it is now is still fun as hell. But seeing that first season stadium race in San Diego, and now learning that Feld may have done something like this, really makes me sad. Oh, what could have been.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

I mean Stadium Super Trucks on the Long Beach street course is better than any motorcross race in history so thanks, I guess.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Rally Mexico going on now. First gravel rally of the year. It started yesterday with 2 special stages in Mexico City. Unfortunately, the car transporters got stuck when a highway closed due to an accident, so the first few stages of today are canceled.
http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/livecenter/page/4175----.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDGUfmUIeDs

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Oh shoot, PWC is this weekend too. Forgot to put a post up.

SHORT VERSION OF RACING THIS WEEKEND

Pirelli World Challenge Round 1 and 2

Streets of St. Petersburg, FL
http://www.racingcircuits.info/north-america/usa/st-petersburg.html

Classes:
GT/GTA: GT3 cars. GTA is Amateurs
GT Cup: 911 GT3 Cup cars
GTS: GT4 cars

Streaming: http://motortrendondemand.com/
probably requires a login, but the races are free

Schedule:
Race 1 GTS already happened.
Saturday:
9:35am-10:35am EST - Race 1 GT/GTA/GTC
12:55pm-1:45pm EST - Race 2 GTS
Sunday:
3:15pm-4:15pm EDT - Race 2 GT/GTA/GTC

Oh and there's some boring open wheel stuff going on there too

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Well, Meeke won Rally Mexico but he sure as hell made it interesting on the last stage.
https://twitter.com/Mattzel89/status/841007620500705280

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I like Kris Meeke more and more every rally.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So wait, we have parity this year in wrc?

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
3 different winners in 3 different cars thus far. It looks like only a matter of time before Neuville in the Hyundai gets one based off his previous pace. This could be a good season, but Ogiers consistency is starting to tell already.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah last season had a relative amount of parity too, it's just that nobody but Ogier was able to put together a full season of good results, despite all the different winners.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
BoP for Sebring is out.

P:
Cadillac got another nerf, -.6mm more restrictor, and 20kg
Total nerf since Daytona: +20kg, -2.5mm intake, -7L gas, -2.5mm fuel filler
Mazda got a *huge* body gurney, 65mm maximum, googling says that should increase rear DF quite a bit, but also increase drag, so expect lower top speeds and higher cornering I guess.

GTLM:
BMW +4L fuel tank
Ferrari 2mm wider fuel filler
Porsche +3L and 1mm wider fuel filler

GTD:
Acura +20kg, +1L, more boost in the low revs
Audi +5kg
Lexus -1L
Merc +20kg, 1.5mm wider restrictor plate (x2), +2L
Porsche +2L

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Remember the Goodwood Members Meeting is this weekend and has a bunch of cool poo poo going on.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Penske wanted to run customer Audis in P1 at LeMans this year, Audi said no. Ban Audi.

https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/news/penske-approached-audi-to-run-lmp1-cars-at-le-mans-882782/

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Cygni posted:

Ban Audi.

Agreed. Ban Audi for taking away Montoya's shot at a triple crown.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Montoya, Webber, Alonso super team driving the third Porsche at Le Mans this year.... make it happen!

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
JDC-Miller on top in FP1 at Sebring.

Looks like the BoP is fairly decent, at least on raw pace. The fuel stuff with the caddy could be a backbreaker for them. ESM's a bit off though.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

freeranger posted:

Montoya, Webber, Alonso super team driving the third Porsche at Le Mans this year.... make it happen!

No, let's not turn Nando's Le Mans winning LMP1 into an airplane.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Cygni posted:

Penske wanted to run customer Audis in P1 at LeMans this year, Audi said no. Ban Audi.

https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/news/penske-approached-audi-to-run-lmp1-cars-at-le-mans-882782/

When they canned their LMP program earlier this year, I recall them literally openly stating that they would sell and help support (i.e. Spare parts, insights, etc) a privateer team if someone wanted to buy the completed 2017 car

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Question, easiest way to watch the Sebring 12H this weekend?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

JDC-Miller on top in FP1 at Sebring.

Looks like the BoP is fairly decent, at least on raw pace. The fuel stuff with the caddy could be a backbreaker for them. ESM's a bit off though.

ESM's car/package is probably the least developed so that kind of tracks.

GramCracker posted:

Question, easiest way to watch the Sebring 12H this weekend?

In the US: all the fun is on Fox Sports One (or streaming there)

Outside the US: IMSA streams it live (with Radio Le Mans broadcast team).

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Love me some Sebring. I'm so happy lots of racing is back.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

When they canned their LMP program earlier this year, I recall them literally openly stating that they would sell and help support (i.e. Spare parts, insights, etc) a privateer team if someone wanted to buy the completed 2017 car

I think there's a bit of power wrangling going on within VAG right now so while they might have said that at the time I think it's a very different environment now. From what I've read it sounds like anything that isn't contributing to a production car is off the table right now.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

harperdc posted:

In the US: all the fun is on Fox Sports One (or streaming there)

Outside the US: IMSA streams it live (with Radio Le Mans broadcast team).

Thanks, appreciate it. I'll need a lot of luck if I'm to get my bar to switch off the stupidity that is March Madess

1500quidporsche posted:

I think there's a bit of power wrangling going on within VAG right now so while they might have said that at the time I think it's a very different environment now. From what I've read it sounds like anything that isn't contributing to a production car is off the table right now.

There absolutely is, everything is way more up in the air than people probably anticipated. The whole diesel thing ran waaay deeper than expected and is going to take a ton to turn around. Kinda sad the car ended up stillborn and will never turn a wheel.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sebring quals will be starting in an hour. GT3 Cup race currently going, for those looking for stuff to put on their second monitor at work that the boss cant really see

http://imsatv.imsa.com/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/842806483934961664

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That was unexpected.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Note for fox users, the fs1 coverage starts at 12:30. Fsgo has it from 10:30, flag to flag.

I'll personally be watching on the IMSA TV stream, through a paid VPN to dodge the geoblock.

Sorry about the lack of a post this weekend, been busy.

12h mugello is also a thing this weekend, probably on YouTube but who cares, Sebring.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

12h mugello is also a thing this weekend, probably on YouTube but who cares, Sebring.

http://www.radiolemans.co/2017/03/17/mugello-12h-2017/

It'll kill some time until Sebring

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Goodwood stream is here if you want something to watch before Sebring, today's mostly practice but there'll be 70s touring cars and 60s F3 cars racing before the end of the day.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Wakeywakey, cars are rolling and the streams are up

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
And one of the fords is acting up already

e: flat for the 55 mazda

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 18, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Oh poo poo race is already going and I won't be home for a couple hours. =/

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Oh Mazda...

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Why do racecars have such trouble with starters? are they underbuilt for lightness or something?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Why do racecars have such trouble with starters? are they underbuilt for lightness or something?
It's probably because a race car's engine bay is extremely cramped and extremely hot.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

What happened to half the prototype field so early in the race?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

dentist toy box posted:

What happened to half the prototype field so early in the race?

Sebring happened.

70 speared the tires, brake failure
55 had engine trouble
2/22 had engine trouble,
90 i believe engine trouble
52 engine trouble
13 engine trouble
31 starter trouble

The gibson V8 is not looking very strong here

it's currently only the 3 caddies and JDC's oreca ahead of the other classes, with 85 and 31 2 and 3 laps down, respectively

• Locked thread