Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

The Gunslinger posted:

Is there an Easy Transfer replacement for Windows 10? I have a buddy who doesn't have all of his favorites/contacts/etc in the cloud yet and wants all of his old stuff swapped over. Easy Transfer used to be great for this kind of tedious crap.

I would like to know this also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

PirateBob posted:

Is there a way to create a shortcut or .bat file to deactivate (or activate) a certain device (Nvidia High Definition Audio)?

While I'm not aware of any, making something around this that could do that should be possible.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

On the off-chance you're using it as a means to switch between sound sources, you can do so by just clicking on the sound icon to get a drop down menu.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I use an old autohotkey script to cycle through devices when I press a key on my keyboard. Googke should find scripts.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not looking to switch between sound sources. Nvidia HD Audio seems to cause a crash in a game, so I need it disabled at those times, but need it enabled at other times when I need it to play audio on my TV through HDMI from the PC. Never mind though, I just made a desktop shortcut to Device Manager. Disabling/enabling it doesn't take much time. :)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

PirateBob posted:

I'm not looking to switch between sound sources. Nvidia HD Audio seems to cause a crash in a game, so I need it disabled at those times, but need it enabled at other times when I need it to play audio on my TV through HDMI from the PC. Never mind though, I just made a desktop shortcut to Device Manager. Disabling/enabling it doesn't take much time. :)

You can also en/disable audio devices from the Sound control panel right click menu. Just make sure "Show disabled devices" is on.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!
Is it common to have a slight visual stutter when gesturing to switch virtual desktops in windows 10? I don't have any lag or issues when I use the task switcher and then pick a new desktop. It only seems to stutter when switching side to side to pick a new desktop via 4-finger switch left/right with a precision touchpad. I will say it's a fast switch, just a stuttered animation.

Otherwise everything is snappy (i7/16GB/512 Toshiba SSD).

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

PirateBob posted:

Is there a way to create a shortcut or .bat file to deactivate (or activate) a certain device (Nvidia High Definition Audio)?

Autohotkey and this interface

https://www.autohotkey.net/~Lexikos/docs/VA.html

I used it to build a toggle menu in my taskbar for my 3 audio devices.

http://pastebin.com/raw/b1DVzYkf

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Could somebody please recommend a calculator replacement for win10?
Should I dig up calc.exe from win7?

VVV I need a non-store app. Someone else recommended SpeedCrunch.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 15, 2017

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

~Coxy posted:

HP brought their calculators to the Windows Store.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

~Coxy posted:

VVV I need a non-store app. Someone else recommended SpeedCrunch.

Why do you want to replace it? You might get better recommendations if people know what you're missing. The stats stuff?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

~Coxy posted:

I need a non-store [calculator] app.

LTSB?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Sound levels being wildly different between apps drives me insane. Especially when I have more than one running at once.

whisperSOwhisperVERYwhisperLOUDwhisper

I like TuneIn Radio, but it's just so goddamn loud compared to everything else on my system and doesn't come with its own volume slider - despite what the screenshots show, those ones are from the iPad version. The makers even say they have no interest in putting one in and to use the system volume. But that's no help when the only way to set TuneIn to a comfortable level is to have everything else at the level of a mouse fart.

Thankfully another app called Ear Trumpet lets you adjust the volume of any app currently playing sound, so I can adjust TuneIn down to around 10% and put it at the same volume as everything else.

But there's no way to save those levels :(

So every time I start my computer, or restart TuneIn, I have to leave/turn the speakers off until TuneIn starts up and I can turn it down with Ear Trumpet or else I get my own ears blown out.

Does anyone know if there are any apps which act like Ear Trumpet, but save volume levels?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Gorilla Salad posted:

Does anyone know if there are any apps which act like Ear Trumpet, but save volume levels?

Is the built-in Windows sound mixer inadequate for this?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Sorry, I should have pointed out that apps use the system volume, TuneIn Radio certainly does. And nothing can be louder than system volume.

So, if I turn it down enough to get TuneIn to a proper level, everything else goes down as well.

That's why Ear Trumpet is good - it lets you turn down the volume of an individual app without messing with system volume. What would make it perfect would be if you were able to save the settings you choose rather than having them all reset everytime you either restart Windows or restart the app.

isndl
May 2, 2012
That's the thing, Windows lets you set volumes on a per app basis with the mixer. Try right clicking the volume button in the tray.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Oh good, they finally fixed the issue with gaming on multiple monitors.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

baka kaba posted:

Why do you want to replace it? You might get better recommendations if people know what you're missing. The stats stuff?

In the interests of the XY problem:
This might blow up on me, but I have UAC turned off. The group policy setting that allows store apps to run while UAC is off is disabled on my company SOE, so as far as I can tell I can't fix it.

I don't need anything crazy, just the standard calc with advanced mode in Win7/8 worked fine.

Right now I have settled on SpeedCrunch renamed to calc.exe and put earlier in my PATH than system32.
If I find something better I'll post it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

isndl posted:

That's the thing, Windows lets you set volumes on a per app basis with the mixer. Try right clicking the volume button in the tray.
Apps don't appear on the sound mixer.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9nblggh516xp

Is that of any use?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Gorilla Salad posted:

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Ghostlight posted:

They do for me?

But it seems the levels don't save after a reboot.

EDIT: You could probably script something using this freeware NirCmd.

http://blog.nirsoft.net/2011/02/25/how-to-control-the-volume-level-of-specific-application-from-command-line-on-windows-72008vista/

I never use "apps" from the app store, so I think I got confused.

LampkinsMateSteve fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 15, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

None of those are apps, they're all desktop programs or components.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

None of those are apps, they're all desktop programs or components.

Microsoft! Why gently caress everything up?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
You know it only now occurs to me that I'm going about this whole thing backwards.

The real issue here isn't Ear Trumpet not saving the levels, that was a workaround in the first place. The real issue was the app I'm using not having a bloody volume control.

Solution - use a different app for internet radio :doh:

So, hopefully easier question - what's a good internet radio app which does have a volume slider. The windows store seems to have a great deal of them and they all look exactly the same to me.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Gorilla Salad posted:

You know it only now occurs to me that I'm going about this whole thing backwards.

The real issue here isn't Ear Trumpet not saving the levels, that was a workaround in the first place. The real issue was the app I'm using not having a bloody volume control.

Solution - use a different app for internet radio :doh:

So, hopefully easier question - what's a good internet radio app which does have a volume slider. The windows store seems to have a great deal of them and they all look exactly the same to me.

As revealed above, Store apps do not appear separately in the volume mixer. You will have to find a desktop version.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

nimper posted:

As revealed above, Store apps do not appear separately in the volume mixer. You will have to find a desktop version.

Gorilla is asking for an app to play internet radio where the app playing the radio also has a built-in volume control for said radio, and remembers the volume setting between sessions.

Any reason it has to be an app and you can't use something like Foobar2000 installed as portable?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

nielsm posted:

Gorilla is asking for an app to play internet radio where the app playing the radio also has a built-in volume control for said radio, and remembers the volume setting between sessions.

Gotcha, thanks.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

nimper posted:

Try Eartrumpet from the Store: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...w7pDjRKg8Ubg5VA

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

A new thread title approaches

isndl
May 2, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

I didn't know this, and after I did some digging... it's supposed to? Or at least they had it working in an insider build, said they were going to roll it out as part of the Anniversary update, but never did?

It's not working on my machine, though I'm using the normal retail build and I think I have the 'defer feature updates' checked so I don't really know what update I'm on.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

isndl posted:

I didn't know this, and after I did some digging... it's supposed to? Or at least they had it working in an insider build, said they were going to roll it out as part of the Anniversary update, but never did?

It's not working on my machine, though I'm using the normal retail build and I think I have the 'defer feature updates' checked so I don't really know what update I'm on.

Look at my post up there.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

isndl posted:

That's not working period, but there's a feature request for it:

feedback-hub:?contextid=68&feedbackid=23cdf6d2-c52d-467a-b840-4a84d02ca51d&form=1&src=2

Dan P, Microsoft engineer posted:

First, thanks everyone for using Windows 10!

We are aware of the demand for a way to control UWP app volume - this is a popular feature request. If you like, upvote it here.

We also know that the Volume Mixer has been around for a long time and is in need of a new look so that it fits in with Windows 10.

In case you're curious about why UWPs don't show up in the Volume Mixer today, here are the gory details (warning: geek-speak ahead):

Back in Windows 8, when we introduced the precursor to UWP apps (what were, then, called "Modern" apps), they looked very different.

In particular, they would take over the whole screen. There was a very large experiential change between the "Desktop world" and the "Modern world."

Also, there was really no way to *close* a "Modern app". So we got into the situation where every Modern app you had ever opened showed up in the Volume Mixer.

Rather than ship this way, we added code into the Volume Mixer to check whether the app was a "Modern app," and if so, hide it from the mixer.

We haven't touched the Volume Mixer since. But playing audio from a Modern/UWP app has changed quite a bit - especially playing audio "in the background."

Starting from Windows 8 and through Windows 10, we’ve introduced new ways to play audio in the background depending on the type of app (browser, music, VoIP, etc.).

These differences introduce application compatibility challenges with the Volume Mixer, and we want to get those right.

Fortunately, in the Anniversary Update we’ve taken big steps to simplify everything.

At //build, Steven Willsens demoed using Capability Name="backgroundMediaPlayback" to get the coding simplicity of a one-process model with the memory savings of a two-process model.

https://channel9.msdn.com/events/Build/2016/B876 - jump to timestamp 0:18:36 for the background audio stuff.

With some of these ways to play audio, the Volume Mixer "just works" – it recognizes the audio session as coming from a Modern/UWP app, and the slider is hidden.

But with others, the Volume Mixer gets confused, and the slider slips through.

This is why, in build 14316, you see Edge – because it plays audio in a way that confuses the Volume Mixer.

It is also why you see *half* of some apps, like Candy Crush - because Candy Crush plays its background music in a way that confuses the Volume Mixer (so you see a slider), but it plays its game effects in a way that the Volume Mixer recognizes as coming from a UWP app (so the slider is hidden.)

Therefore, in builds after 14316 we pulled UWPs to no longer show up in the Volume Mixer while we try to design the best solution to this problem.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

~Coxy posted:

This might blow up on me, but I have UAC turned off

God why.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is it possible to add a new user to Windows 10 without a Microsoft account?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Nevermind I figured it out. They really hide it and make you disclaim a lot of poo poo.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

astral posted:

That's not working period, but there's a feature request for it:

feedback-hub:?contextid=68&feedbackid=23cdf6d2-c52d-467a-b840-4a84d02ca51d&form=1&src=2
And here I was giving them the benefit of the doubt that it was something to do with the sandboxing of them. Nope, just can't figure out how to add and remove them from sound mixer so they're manually hidden all the time :cripes:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Windows once again did not reboot automatically to install updates. This is despite the tablet being on charger all day while I was away, and active hours set as evening and night. So instead of installing and rebooting during the 12+ hours it had, it informed me it required one when I picked it up to use it.

I really wish Windows 10 would be more aggressive about just rebooting to install updates, when it has plenty of opportunity.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

If UAC is on, you can't do stuff like drag documents into elevated windows.
Also, my media keys don't work when elevated applications are in focus. Although I suppose I could set iTunes to be elevated too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

~Coxy posted:

If UAC is on, you can't do stuff like drag documents into elevated windows.
Also, my media keys don't work when elevated applications are in focus. Although I suppose I could set iTunes to be elevated too...

What are you running that needs to be elevated and that you also want to drag documents into?