Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

No I haven't. Thanks! Massively helpful.

That's true! Lots of options if I get sick of mac and cheese.

If you're into freezer bag cooking, this TVP taco mix got me through a lot of the PCT. The TVP texture is very good at simulating real ground beef and combined with the beans this is a very filling meal. It can even be done stoveless if you're into that, but I couldn't do it. I'm not sure I have my final recipe anymore, but it was generally like this:

1 cup dehydrated refried beans
2 cups TVP crumbles (textured vegetable protein)
1 cup taco seasoning
20 oz water

Boil the water, pour into freezer bag with mixture, mix well, let it sit for 5-10 minutes squishing the bag around every so often. Scoop with high calorie chips like Fritos, put it in tortillas, add rice, or even leave out the beans and add the other stuff to the mac and cheese.

You'll probably want to play with the water level until you find a texture that you like.

If you want to plan ahead, the ingredients can be found on Amazon or health food stores. Many towns on the PCT had health food stores or hiker friendly stores that might sell TVP/beans so I'd imagine you can find this stuff on the AT.

Tigren fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Stuff like this is why I don't think I'm ever going to be later to spend more than a week or so hiking. I just don't think I could eat that way and still enjoy anything else about my life.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I keep looking at the AT reddit and it seems to me there's this obsession with ultra-light. It's insane. Obviously a lighter pack makes for a better hike, but people are literally weighing everything on little scales so they know exactly how heavy their base weight is. I mean, weighing your goddamn underpants and ibuprofen. Spending hours and hours comparing products to save a few grams here and there. It's not even about the hike any more, it's just about how much lighter you are than everyone else.

I don't know, it's just weird.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Im sure that's the case to some degree for some people, especially through hikers. In cycling we called them weight weenies. It can definitely become an obsession and an expensive one at that. It's also a great way for people to occupy their time and mind in the anticipatory months leading up to a once in a lifetime adventure.

But the fact of the matter is that everything weighs something and ounces become pounds. On a weekend trip, probably not a big deal but for three months and 2,500 miles it will be noticeable. While I don't subscribe to the ultralight mentality entirely, I do try to save weight when and where I can. You move easier, faster and more comfortably with less weight. You can enjoy the scenery more and hurt less.

Some people get careless with it, trying to save weight so badly they sacrifice their comfort or safety by carrying the bare minimum. Don't do that.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Eh, I do some of that but it is easy to get way obsessed with finding the lightest gimmick BS

It's nice to have a lighter pack, and ounces add up to pounds. Save several ounces here and some more there and you've saved serious weight. Going crazy and criticizing everyone who isn't as light as you is nuts though. Only time I feel critical is when people are obviously overloaded and it's causing injuries etc

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Ultralighters are richies with more money than sense. If they were honestly going ultra-light, they'd be doing it the "Ray-Way" and taking an umbrella.

Instead they drop thousands on flimsy-rear end gear which will wear out long before they reach their destination.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ray Jardine? I feel like I heard he's basically shilling his own stuff and trying to live off past accolades

You can do UL without spending massive amounts of money since a lot of it is just taking less

Cube fiber can gently caress off though

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Absolutely weight is important. That's the reason I spent lots of money on a super light backpack, sleeping quilt and hammock. I mean I've seen some people saying they're taking a 7lb backpack on the AT and I'm like what are you doing!?

But then you have people saying "well I can't comment on your weight because you haven't weighed your down jacket or shorts you'll be wearing" and it's like c'mon son, it's a down jacket, I need to take a down jacket and it's pretty light already! I didn't weigh my tweezers? Oh poo poo

I'm definitely adopting the term "weight weeny"

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Levitate posted:

Ray Jardine? I feel like I heard he's basically shilling his own stuff and trying to live off past accolades

You can do UL without spending massive amounts of money since a lot of it is just taking less

Cube fiber can gently caress off though

Yeah, I'm talking about the peeps over at BPL who jerk off over spending $700 on a new jacket to shave half a gram off their total and then barely crank out a 20km day. Chodes, the lot of them.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Every once in a while I'll weigh stuff as a way to think of all the fun I could be having outside somewhere. My wife thinks it's kinda lame so I'll put on a show of cutting the handle off a toothbrush or something to make her roll her eyes :v:

I did go through a minor spending blitz last year but it was worth it to go from surplus poo poo to good quality gear. Going from 30 pounds base weight to less than 15 was a nice bonus, plus now I essentially have a second set of summerweight gear I can lend to people if I had friends so lonely please help.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My first week long backpacking trip a few years ago was with a 45-50 pound pack. Now I float around 30 pounds with food and water without having spent much money.

Now that I'm getting into mountaineering all that weight is going to quickly creep up again with heavier boots, crampons, helmet, ice axe, harness and ropes etc but that's a whole other beast with different needs and gear.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Never actually looked at the stuff Ray sells and

:stare:

Maybe the rest of his stuff is cool and good but seeing that kind of made me die a little inside. :eng99:

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Obsessive UL nerds are simply the hiking version of that dork with a camera who spends more time jacking off to dpreview stuff than actually taking photos.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Maybe the rest of his stuff is cool and good but seeing that kind of made me die a little inside. :eng99:

Holy poo poo! That shouldn't be legal! :wtc:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Has anyone here hiked The Wonderland Trail ?

My wife and I are thinking about hiking it over 10 days for our summer vacation. Alternatively we are open to suggestion for a 5-10 day loop in Colorado or Utah.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Alan_Shore posted:

I keep looking at the AT reddit and it seems to me there's this obsession with ultra-light. It's insane. Obviously a lighter pack makes for a better hike, but people are literally weighing everything on little scales so they know exactly how heavy their base weight is. I mean, weighing your goddamn underpants and ibuprofen. Spending hours and hours comparing products to save a few grams here and there. It's not even about the hike any more, it's just about how much lighter you are than everyone else.

I don't know, it's just weird.

Yeah, I kind of agree with you on that. I also don't get the weird obsession with covering as much distance as possible in a day. Like if I want to move somewhere quickly, walking it's not gonna be the method Im gonna pick.

I pay a little attention to weight, but would rather carry a little more and have some additional comfort/fun items then do without.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Ropes4u posted:

Has anyone here hiked The Wonderland Trail ?

Yes. It's great. They're moving to a slightly saner permit reservation process this year so it's worth putting an application in. Walk-ins used to be easy to get if you were flexible but I don't know now with the crazy rise in popularity.

You should poke around on this guy's site in the meantime for info and pictures. He's done it like 30 times and knows more about MRNP than just about anyone.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Someone (probably Skurka) differentiated between hiking, where emphasis is on the journey and moving more efficiently, and camping, where emphasis is on the destinations and once you do when you get there. Backpacking isn't strictly one or the other but it's a handy umbrella term for the general concept and explains (in my mind) why some people will get into "no true backpacker" nerd fights over whose hobby preferences are more valid.

e. yeah, it's skurka.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 3, 2017

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

The transition of Ray Jardine from trad climbing pioneer, to somewhat crazy through-hiker, to actually crazy old man, has been sad. :saddowns:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Officer Sandvich posted:

Yes. It's great. They're moving to a slightly saner permit reservation process this year so it's worth putting an application in. Walk-ins used to be easy to get if you were flexible but I don't know now with the crazy rise in popularity.

You should poke around on this guy's site in the meantime for info and pictures. He's done it like 30 times and knows more about MRNP than just about anyone.

Thank you, half tempted to go walk up style after reading his posts.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Who do you guys like for wool hoodies? My friend has a really nice Ice Breaker one, but I dunno if I want to spend $250+ on one.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
$250 on a hoody is loving dumb. It's merino wool, you can get the same poo poo at REI for $60 tops.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Rime posted:

$250 on a hoody is loving dumb. It's merino wool, you can get the same poo poo at REI for $60 tops.

I agree, I agree. That's why I am asking for your fine suggestions.

Stryguy
Dec 29, 2004

Sleep tight my little demoman
College Slice
Are there any goons from Colorado who could give a little guidance for a 5-7 day CO trip? I see that i heart ponies (the OP) is listed as a resource for CO, but he hasn't posted anything since 2014, so I assume he's not really active on the forums anymore.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Tsyni posted:

Who do you guys like for wool hoodies? My friend has a really nice Ice Breaker one, but I dunno if I want to spend $250+ on one.

In pullover, the TAD gear wool/poly blend one is pretty loving excellent, but I found the kangaroo pocket a little low and gave it to my wife. The best zip up hoodie I found is discontinued Black Diamond one, also wall poly blend. It's my favorite thing in the world and I really wish I had bought two or three of them.

I went on a massive hoodie search about two years ago and never found an all wool one that felt like it would last any appreciable amount of time. The best ones seem to be a wool interior and a poly out face, so you really get the best of both materials.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Stryguy posted:

Are there any goons from Colorado who could give a little guidance for a 5-7 day CO trip? I see that i heart ponies (the OP) is listed as a resource for CO, but he hasn't posted anything since 2014, so I assume he's not really active on the forums anymore.

There are s few of us. Plus others have come out this way. What's your plan out here? What's your question.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

6 weeks until I hit the AT! Got almost everything. Wondering if I need a fleece as well as my down jacket? If so any recommendations for a small packable one that doesn't cost the earth?

Can't wait for that first night of sleeping in my hammock.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Rime posted:

Depending on how thick you want, take a look at the First Lite Chama Hoody http://www.firstlite.com/chama-hoody.html

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 10, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Alan_Shore posted:

6 weeks until I hit the AT! Got almost everything. Wondering if I need a fleece as well as my down jacket? If so any recommendations for a small packable one that doesn't cost the earth?

fleece unfortunately isn't really packable without also being thin and less warm. That being said, I have a Montbell Chameece that's nice to wear for a little extra warmth and it's about as light as I could find when I was looking at the time

https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=2006&p_id=2304310&gen_cd=1

Dunno about their shipping policy

Stryguy
Dec 29, 2004

Sleep tight my little demoman
College Slice
I'm planning a solo Colorado trip around the week of May 22nd. I love hiking / fishing and was hoping to combine the two. Day hikes, maybe an overnighter or two.

I'm not looking for any crazy terrain. Just good scenic hikes, seclusion, fishing opportunities, and a little altitude. One of my goals is to "climb a mountain", somewhere in the 12,000-14,000 ft range. When I say climb, I really mean hike a mountain, as I don't possess the skill or equipment to literally climb a mountain. Are there any mountains in northern CO that don't require a lot of skill to get to the top?

I hate tourist traps and touristy things, so would like to steer clear of that kind of stuff as much as possible. The less people, the better.

Any suggestions as far as locations go? I'm looking for a good home base location that I can fish/relax/clean up at with nearby easy to moderate hiking opportunities in Northern CO. I also wouldn't be opposed to a guided fishing trip if someone knows of a good person / place to connect with.

Stryguy fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 22, 2019

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Just moved to Portland, where there seems to be no shortage of hikes. And rain. Any locals can PM me if they want a hiking buddy, and in the meantime there's like 50 Meetup groups for hiking. Pretty cool.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Stryguy posted:

I live in Kansas and I'm planning a solo Colorado trip around the week of May 22nd. I love hiking / fishing and was hoping to combine the two. Day hikes, maybe an overnighter or two.

I've done very little hiking outside of Kansas, so I'm not looking for any crazy terrain. Just good scenic hikes, seclusion, fishing opportunities, and a little altitude. One of my goals is to "climb a mountain", somewhere in the 12,000-14,000 ft range. When I say climb, I really mean hike a mountain, as I don't possess the skill or equipment to literally climb a mountain. Are there any mountains in northern CO that don't require a lot of skill to get to the top?

I hate tourist traps and touristy things, so would like to steer clear of that kind of stuff as much as possible. The less people, the better.

Any suggestions as far as locations go? I'm looking for a good home base location that I can fish/relax/clean up at with nearby easy to moderate hiking opportunities in Northern CO. I also wouldn't be opposed to a guided fishing trip if someone knows of a good person / place to connect with.

That early in the year you are still going to run into the problem of snow high up. Most of the 14'ers don't become free of snow until nearly August. Lost Creek Wilderness is a place to consider, a few backpacking options and fishing rivers/lakes nearby. Also pretty low altitude so you aren't going to run into much snow but probably still a little. At least I did when I did an overnighter there around the last week of May last year. Not enough to cause any problems though.

Edit: for some reason I was missing the Northern CO part, maybe others have some info I haven't gone anywhere there for awhile besides RMNP.

copen fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 10, 2017

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Alan_Shore posted:

I love my r1 fleece. I tend to wear it as a midlayer and works well. I also like the R3 for colder conditions but weighs more.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
As much as I oppose trekking poles, I must admit that my spikes failed this morning. Pacific Northwest Concrete dumped 6--12" of slush in the last few days and I was slipping everywhere during the first half and had to double step to get even minimal traction. Broke out the poles.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Verman posted:

My first week long backpacking trip a few years ago was with a 45-50 pound pack. Now I float around 30 pounds with food and water without having spent much money.

Now that I'm getting into mountaineering all that weight is going to quickly creep up again with heavier boots, crampons, helmet, ice axe, harness and ropes etc but that's a whole other beast with different needs and gear.

I learned an important trick for dealing with this from a very experienced and wise mountaineer the very first time I went winter climbing. If you take a 15l sack that barely fits your lunch, helmet and crampons, you can get your newbie climbing partner to carry all the gear and ropes and tell them your pack is full and anyway it's good training.

Have to say I didn't appreciate it at the time though.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
Does anyone own the Osprey Sirrus 36? Looking to replace my daypack/possibly carry on luggage. Currently own an REI 25 and wanted a little extra room but nothing crazy huge... Mostly looking for good hip belt pockets and integrated rain cover, but neither are a must if there's a better bag out there.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

This isn't what you asked but the osprey kestrel 45 is just perfectly carry on sized and I've found it fine for even like 4 day trips

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

liz posted:

Does anyone own the Osprey Sirrus 36? Looking to replace my daypack/possibly carry on luggage. Currently own an REI 25 and wanted a little extra room but nothing crazy huge... Mostly looking for good hip belt pockets and integrated rain cover, but neither are a must if there's a better bag out there.

This is my Gregory Savant. I went with a 45 liter version and I love it. It's become my "middle" bag for times that my 70L bag is overkill and my 20l day pack isn't enough. I've traveled with it on everything from long weekends to multi week backpacking trips through Europe. I also use it for summer backpacking and hiking where I'm not bringing tons of gear. It's also my winter day pack for snowshoeing etc.

It can buckle down incredibly compact which makes it nice for travel. It fits into overhead bins without issue (how a normal carry on would go, not sideways). The U shape zippers make access much easier to the main compartment versus to our bottom load.

Also it has a build in rain cover.

I haven't carried traditional luggage in years.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I am amazed that people prefer hiking backpacks to traditional luggage. I would so much rather have a nice rolling box that unpacks flat so I can easily sort my poo poo without taking everything out to get to that one thing at the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
My 65L pack has half-zippers on the sides so you can reach in to grab stuff.

Saw a bunch of neat caves this weekend on a private property near the TN/AL border: