Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

RUMBY

MY DEACS MADE IT YAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Probably Magic posted:

Michigan State gonna oust Kansas in the second round.

At least I know the fate now. Feels good to gain some closure.

A Kansa/Iowa State sweet 16 match up is too perfect so it's gonna be Michigan State and Purdue who make it to that game.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Thoguh posted:

A Kansa/Iowa State sweet 16 match up is too perfect so it's gonna be Michigan State and Purdue who make it to that game.

Stop peeking at my bracket, jerk!

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

Grittybeard posted:

Vandy's pretty beatable too,

Says you

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

MourningView posted:

UVA has a good offense they just play really slow.

I'll admit that I haven't seen UVA play a whole lot this year. Just seems like whenever I do watch them.....they play at a snails pace.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I'll admit that I haven't seen UVA play a whole lot this year. Just seems like whenever I do watch them.....they play at a snails pace.

Which is, of course, entirely a separate question from how good they are.

UVA will always be susceptible to big runs by athletic teams, or a hot hand from a streaky shooter; they're probably the only team where "momentum" is actually a thing because their pace makes points more valuable and they're gambling that they can outlast any brief bursts. Generally under Bennett that's proven true.

Their problem this year is lacking the one Mike Scott/ Justin Anderson / Malcolm Brogdon type guy who will take over single-handed when everything's starting to head downhill. Kyle Guy might be that next year if he adds some muscle.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I updated the first post because the brackets have times now. ISU plays at 9 PM Central. I guess it beats the last two years of playing like the second game of the tournament. Just wish it was slightly earlier than that.

First game looks to be Notre Dame/Princeton.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

Purdue is a really bad matchup for ISU. Swanigan is gonna have like 75 rebounds

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
can Iowa State press at all? Because the key to beating Purdue is applying literally any scant amount of press

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

No. We barely learned to play defense the past two years so I wouldn't expect them to put together an effective press in 5 days. It sounds like we just need to count on our small ball lineup to make 30 threes if we make it past Nevada.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
so is illinois going to be able to get wichita state's coach?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mastershakeman posted:

Lol

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Ugh, why does Butler always have to play when I'm at loving work. 1:30 pm. dammit

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

dont be mean, illinois is going to have a systemic shock from seeing NU in the tournament. the sputnik moment, if you will, leading to UIUC's space race and eventual moon landing of a national title under the best coach & players money can buy

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Poque posted:

can Iowa State press at all? Because the key to beating Purdue is applying literally any scant amount of press

The only time ISU has ever pressed is when they're down late in a game, so desperation time. They do not play great defense, and they suck at rebounding.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bird in a Blender posted:

The only time ISU has ever pressed is when they're down late in a game, so desperation time. They do not play great defense, and they suck at rebounding.

Well, that makes me feel good even if I'm still pessimistic about our matchup in the first round.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

mastershakeman posted:

back off fucker

he's coming to MIZZOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

the mean lunch lady posted:

back off fucker

he's coming to MIZZOU

Better back up the Brinks truck then. No way he leaves for that dumpster fire unless he gets PAID.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I've had Gregg Marshall pegged for Mizzou for years.

Also, do we need a new GDT thread?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

back off fucker

he's coming to MIZZOU

please, the bragging rights series shows illinois gets whatever it wants in this rivalry

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

RUMBY

MY DEACS MADE IT YAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

I'm so loving happy for you, dude. :unsmith:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Marshall isn't going to UI or MU.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Oh good, UVA's tip time Thursday is almost the exact same time as one of my freshman comp classes. Wonder how many will even show up.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Probably Magic posted:

I've had Gregg Marshall pegged for Mizzou for years.

Also, do we need a new GDT thread?

Yea, we'll need one. I think last year we did it by day or by round, can't remember. Might be good for one each day for at least the first weekend.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

back off fucker

he's coming to MIZZOU

Gregg Marshall doesn't need to make lateral moves to Mizzou or Illinois.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

It is interesting to think where Marshall might go. He's mid-50s so any move is likely to be his last (and has to happen soon), but there's just not that many traditional powers in decent enough shape to afford him that will also have vacancies any time soon.

At the same time I can't imagine him being happy wrecking the Valley year in year out, only to get stuck with another double digit seed.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Yea, we'll need one. I think last year we did it by day or by round, can't remember. Might be good for one each day for at least the first weekend.

There's been so few posts about college basketball this year that it might be better one per weekend. I dunno, I put up a tester GDT, we'll see from there.

Competition welcome, of course, but bring your poll game.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You need 4m to get Marshall. MU and Illinois aren't going to pay that because the fear is Roy or Coach K retires and they immediately call Marshall.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

^^^^
Didn't Marshall turn down big offers from better schools already too? I know Illinois and Mizzou both have some deep basketball history, but it seems like forever ago for Mizzou. Illinois has been downhill ever since they made the finals in 2005.

Probably Magic posted:

There's been so few posts about college basketball this year that it might be better one per weekend. I dunno, I put up a tester GDT, we'll see from there.

Works for me. I guess we can always see how many posts we get on Thursday and judge from there.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 13, 2017

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Wouldn't that be why you build in a huge poison pill if he leaves before the contract is up? I can see Mizzou spending the money on Marshall, but I seriously doubt he ends up in Columbia.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Regnevelc posted:

Gregg Marshall doesn't need to make lateral moves to Mizzou or Illinois.

the lateral move from a team in a conference that he owned so hard he got a 10 seed to a conference where it's pretty hecking easy, where a team with 15 losses got a 9 or to the Big Ten. It'd be lateral money-wise since his salary is paid by the KOCHS, but he has to be tired of getting hosed because the MVC.

I mean I don't think he's coming to CoMo either, but they might as well try. They're apparently willing to spend big on this hire, which is different than the last three. Mizzou hasn't been amazing since '12, but they were fine until the Kim disaster.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Probably Magic posted:

Honestly I don't post much about basketball just because there's no back and forth, if you're lucky there might be one other person who also makes 1-2 posts about a given game. I'd expect that to jump since there will a critical mass of people watching for the tournament.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The problem with this year's 12/5s is I feel bad picking all of the 12s. The one 12/5 I want to go chalk on is Iowa State and they are playing a nasty Nevada team with tons of offense. Iowa State is already licking their chops about playing in KC.

Don't look past Nevada. A looming KU/ISU game in Sprint Center needs to happen.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

kiimo posted:

The problem with this year's 12/5s is I feel bad picking all of the 12s. The one 12/5 I want to go chalk on is Iowa State and they are playing a nasty Nevada team with tons of offense. Iowa State is already licking their chops about playing in KC.

Don't look past Nevada. A looming KU/ISU game in Sprint Center needs to happen.

I'm picking Nevada and Middle Tenn. as my two 12s to upset 5s.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mastershakeman posted:

dont be mean, illinois is going to have a systemic shock from seeing NU in the tournament. the sputnik moment, if you will, leading to UIUC's space race and eventual moon landing of a national title under the best coach & players money can buy

First off I'll agree that Marshall in like 99.95% of possible worlds isn't going to leave for Illinois or Mizzou, but out of curiosity how is Illinois money wise these days? I remember you guys were broke not too long ago, and you need to get to like 3.5/year just to pay him more than he's already making at Wichita State (that Koch money flows freely for him). And to entice him to a currently bad school in a tougher conference yeah I'd say kiimo's right and the bidding would start at somewhere around 4 million/year and that might not be enough to even make him think about it.

Having said that if you've got the money he's still the first call you make just to see if there's a possibility.

I know Illinois and Mizzou both have some deep basketball history, but it seems like forever ago for Mizzou.

It was only five years ago Mizzou was a #2 seed (and flushed out of the tournament in the first round, but still they were one of the better teams in the nation). Which is insane, it certainly feels like it's been about 20 years.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 13, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lonzo Ball's dad is batshit.

He just demanded a billion dollar shoe contract.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

It was only five years ago Mizzou was a #2 seed (and flushed out of the tournament in the first round, but still they were one of the better teams in the nation). Which is insane, it certainly feels like it's been about 20 years.

Ha this was like exactly the same for ISU. Got bounced as a 2 seed and then spent the next 9 or so years being pretty bad. Hoiberg finally turned it around, and I'm hoping we don't go back.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

kiimo posted:

The problem with this year's 12/5s is I feel bad picking all of the 12s.
Nothing I've seen from Princeton screams 'upset alert'. I'm also confident Virginia keeps it together for at least one game.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/841331656128638977/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

NO CHILDREN ON THE COURT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
People loving suck sometimes.

• Locked thread