Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Calaveron posted:

- The bad fire nation general didn't limply stab a fish in a burlap sack, he loving burnt it alive and the entire world turned blood red afterwards

It is hilarious how much more "cinematic" the tv show is compared to the movie. Like using a prison in the middle of the ocean as a setting or turning the moon red after someone kills the moon spirit or including a map to give context to a sprawling adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh something else, the show had actual levity and humor in it. The movie as we know is dire and depressing and gray

Vakal
May 11, 2008
i think the problem with making a movie based on a property aimed at kids is time.

You basically have a year, maybe two tops before the kids age out and move onto something else.

So whatever you make has to be made fast, and preferable cheap. So no going out of your way to hire a martial artist to teach a bunch of middle grade actors how to throw a convincing punch on screen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Vakal posted:

i think the problem with making a movie based on a property aimed at kids is time.

You basically have a year, maybe two tops before the kids age out and move onto something else.

So whatever you make has to be made fast, and preferable cheap. So no going out of your way to hire a martial artist to teach a bunch of middle grade actors how to throw a convincing punch on screen.

But you have the Harry Potters which they took there time with and they got the investment back. The Last Airbender franchise was alive from 2005 to 2014, so its not like it was just a flash in the pan.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Timeless Appeal posted:

No, it's a really good cartoon.

Korra,on the other hand...

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Holy gently caress, those comments. What a bunch of sad, sad people.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think last air bender resonated with a lot of older people which is why it was as popular as it was.

Cardamommy Issues
Feb 16, 2005

I've waited around for more important things
The Randy Newman bit was killing me in the Airbender episode

Airbender boulevard (we love it!)

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

That guy is a piece of poo poo. Seriously try to watch two minutes of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j38aX4JxINQ

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Calaveron posted:

Oh something else, the show had actual levity and humor in it. The movie as we know is dire and depressing and gray

The movie somehow removes all the character and personality from our three heroes and gives us no reason to care about any of them. I don't understand how you watch a second of that show and decide that Sokka needs to be mopey and whiny or that Aang should be depressed.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I just listened to the SWAT episode again today and I think that Eric's story about going to watch In Bruges might be the funniest moment of the whole series.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lemon posted:

I just listened to the SWAT episode again today and I think that Eric's story about going to watch In Bruges might be the funniest moment of the whole series.

Is that "Try it, old man"?

Funniest moment to me is "Did you hear? They finally locked up the 'Eat poo poo!' lady"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

But you have the Harry Potters which they took there time with and they got the investment back. The Last Airbender franchise was alive from 2005 to 2014, so its not like it was just a flash in the pan.

Moreover, it's not like it's impossible to make a film based on an existing property from the past that was well-liked and have it be successful. Hell, a good portion of Hollywood these days is based on doing exactly that. "Hubris" is my go-to explanation for the movie falling apart so spectacularly, but it really does boggle the mind when you have a director making what is clearly a martial arts film without a single recognizable martial art in it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Somebody please tell Andrew Alex Jones impressions are the Borat impressions of this decade

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Catch em in BED with a Borat

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Catch 'em in bed with ah my wiiife :q:

Edit: goddammit :mad:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Calaveron posted:

Somebody please tell Andrew Alex Jones impressions are the Borat impressions of this decade

Douchebag bros at parties don't know who Alex Jones is.

The Bill Nighy BAFTA stuff made me laugh harder than anything in some time.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

weekly font posted:

Douchebag bros at parties don't know who Alex Jones is.

The Bill Nighy BAFTA stuff made me laugh harder than anything in some time.

#BAFTAsowhite

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Bill Nighy was so on point for an impression that no human has ever bothered cooking up in advance before.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Calaveron posted:

PrisonPlanet.Borat\verynice.mywife

Violator
May 15, 2003

Man, I love the Alex Jones impressions. :(

I'm also a big fan of the new "hang up on 'em!" and all of the other material that came from the Tango & Cash episode. Nice to hear some of that stuff come back in the mailbag.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Calaveron posted:

*calm, completely flat voice* Catch 'em in bed with a Goblin. -Alex Jones *calm, completely flat voice*

Checks out.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
No Korra's okay too and that guy is an rear end in a top hat. Korra's just not as good.

But that guy is once again an idiot and I turned it off when he talked about NICK EXECUTIVES. To be clear, The Legend of Korra is a heavily serialized steampunk series with characters who are exclusively Asian or Native American in appearance and features intense violence. One of the biggest plot threads in the show is that the hero of the previous show turned out to be kind of a lovely dad who has left his middle aged children still trying to come to terms with where they stand with their no deceased father. Like even if you don't like the show, it's kind of hard to argue that it's the product of EXECUTIVES.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
please listen to the views of this dude and his 4 part video series 'legend of whorra', this dude totally doesn't have a basement that smells very off and a drawer full of sorority girls' IDs.

In non weirdo news, Andrew's getting spicy on Twitter

https://twitter.com/jupin/status/841491826930520064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

https://twitter.com/brandocalreezy/status/841658085399789569

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Prior to this episode, if you had put a gun to my head and asked me to tell you the name of Mario Van Peebles' character in Highlander III, I would have closed my eyes and accepted death. And I've seen it at least 5 times. I can remember the Kurgen, Kitana, and even Jacob freaking Kell (Huh, lots of K's), but not MVP.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Why does Captain Kurgen want the detectives to go to bed?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Oh my god, Eric stopping Steve dead in today's episode, I'm losing my mind

"After Eric's great montage [of a sword being forged] we get the most insane sex scene in cinema history"
"Dude, you make a sword, you fuckin' make a meat one next"
"It's cra:stare: "

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Zore posted:

Its weird listening to old episodes and hearing the genesis of running jokes.

Just heard the first 'bend over and I'll show ya' and its hilarious how much Eric is pulling back in case it doesn't land.

Also the proto Martin Cinemax the 3rd stuff in Batman Forever.

What episode was the first bend over joke in?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

What episode was the first bend over joke in?

I want to say either Bordello of Blood or K-911. I've been binging so I don't remember exactly.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FswhQmILLU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I don't think they've ever mentioned law and order without bringing up the Cragen and the Ape episode.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pops Mgee posted:

I don't think they've ever mentioned law and order without bringing up the Cragen and the Ape episode.

iconic

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I don't think a lot of people really appreciate how well versed in cinema these four guys are. They will always bring up some oft forgotten film or character actor randomly in any episode and mention every movie they've ever been in better than the IMDB Tribune ever could and I always took it for granted. But what blew my mind was that in this latest mailbag episode Cabin remembers, off the top of his head, the year Adam Sandler's Click was released. Why would you waste precious space in your brain for such incredibly useless information unless it's a byproduct of your deep love and appreciation for the art of cinema and its history.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Connor MacLeod puppet show is thing of genius and still making me laugh

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Calaveron posted:

I don't think a lot of people really appreciate how well versed in cinema these four guys are. They will always bring up some oft forgotten film or character actor randomly in any episode and mention every movie they've ever been in better than the IMDB Tribune ever could and I always took it for granted. But what blew my mind was that in this latest mailbag episode Cabin remembers, off the top of his head, the year Adam Sandler's Click was released. Why would you waste precious space in your brain for such incredibly useless information unless it's a byproduct of your deep love and appreciation for the art of cinema and its history.

I would like to know what scene they sometimes reference from the movie Barfly because I have no idea what they are trying to do from it.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

bobkatt013 posted:

Connor MacLeod puppet show is thing of genius and still making me laugh

Bad impression Christopher Lambert doing a bad impression of Sean Connery was priceless.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Stabler eating tiger meat and a monkey popping out of a basketball and hugging Cragen are peak SVU.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm surprised there isn't more love for Chris Cabin, Slob ImmortalHighlander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I just finished rewatching The Last Airbender, my girlfriend had never seen it, and for two people in their 30s it still holds up. poo poo is good.

Dmitri-9 posted:

It is hilarious how much more "cinematic" the tv show is compared to the movie. Like using a prison in the middle of the ocean as a setting or turning the moon red after someone kills the moon spirit or including a map to give context to a sprawling adventure.

I liked how the WHM guys were brainstorming about how to make the prison escape better, and they ended up describing exactly how it was set in the show.