Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Even as somebody who reviews Palladium books and has gotten so jaded on useless statistics that I barely mention them anymore, that's somehow even more baffling. I struggle to envision a game that would demand any use of that statistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I struggle to envision a game that would demand any use of that statistic.

"Roll to see if the NPC you're banging is fertile." :shepface:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I assume the idea is for GMs who, for whatever reason, want to model how the population would change if they're running their game X years into the future of the setting.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

As promised, we're finally back to Deathwatch after a year-long hiatus! To start, we'll generate a character which means we begin with...

Deathwatch Chapter 1: Character Creation

Creating a character in Deathwatch borrows many of the standard elements from Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader with a few twists of its own. However, those systems really focused on building a character, especially their past and how they got to the shithole they’re in now (Dark Heresy) or the decadent lifestyle they occupy (Rogue Trader)

Deathwatch is a little simpler. You see, Deathwatch is about being a Space Marine, and being a Space Marine is pretty straightforward.

First off - no girls allowed. :biotruths: According to the reams of fluff jam-packed into Warhammer 40k, only dudes can be Space Marines because reasons (insert vaguely sexist argument here). If I were running a game though, I wouldn’t care.

Second off - you’re every single Arnold Schwarzenegger character ever. Thanks to a battery of implants collectively known as the geneseed, Space Marines are super-human kill-monsters and that’s even before you hand them their gear: once they get that, they’re basically walking around in tank armor wielding guns that explode most regular humans like a blood sausage.

Another fact - In the other systems, facing down some of the horrors of the universe that Space Marines regularly encounter might actually cause you to die of sheer terror. Not a Space Marine. They literally have a trait (taken from the tabletop, you nerds) called ‘And They Shall Know No Fear’. Essentially, you’re all badasses and you should play that to the hilt.

Still, there’s some room for roleplaying even as Space Marines, and that all comes down to one of the choices that you make during Character Creation - your Space Marine Chapter!

Before we get there though, let’s walk through the steps as the God-Emperor Fantasy Flight Games intended, shall we?

Step 1: Generate Characteristics

Remember how I mentioned previously that Deathwatch uses d100 (as represented by 2d10) as its resolution mechanic? It also uses it to generate characteristics! However, we won’t be reading it as d100 - instead, we’ll read it as 2d10. 40k RPGs use nine characteristics to represent characters and their abilities. Your characteristic score also influences a few derived attributes, and the tens digit is considered your ability score ‘bonus’. Finally, skills in this game are tied to the relevant characteristic score, plus any training modifiers.

To generate characteristics, the game has you roll 2d10 and add 30 to result. To sort of explain how much better Space Marines are than normal humans, I’ll compare characteristic generation in Deathwatch to other systems in the line.

Dark Heresy: Roll 2d10, add 20. On average, you’ll have a score of 30 with 40 being the best that you could ever hope to be and 20 being just the pits.

Rogue Trader: Roll 2d10, add 25. You’re pretty decent with average scores of 35, highs of 45, and lows of 25.

As you can see, Space Marines start on average at the highest possible score you can roll in Dark Heresy. Even your lowest score matches their average.

But what do these numbers contribute to? The nine key characteristics, derived from WHFRPG, are:

Weapon Skill - Weapon Skill represents how good you are at chopping people up/beating them to death with melee weapons. Melee weapons in Deathwatch deal high single-hit damage, but don’t handle hordes (which we’ll get into later - it’s definitely one of the coolest aspects of Deathwatch) as well. Naturally you want a high score here if you like going toe-to-toe with Orks.

Ballistic Skill - How good you are at gun. Being good at gun is really, really good in Deathwatch. Melee weapons can hit hard, but guns hit a lot.

Strength - How swole you are. Strength affects how hard you hit with melee weapons and also contributes to your carrying capacity (which no one really bothers with unless you’re doing weird-rear end edge cases - see Dougie McIsaac below). Because Space Marines are genetically modified, they double their strength bonus. For example, a Space Marine with a Strength of 40 has a strength bonus of 8 (The tens place multiplied by 2), while an ordinary human with a Strength of 40 still only has a strength bonus of 4. Even at equivalent strengths, Space Marines hit twice as hard as regular people.

Toughness - How ded ‘ard you are. Toughness in Warhammer RPGs is directly tied to damage reduction. Also, because Space Marines are genetically modified, they double their Toughness bonus. To extend the example from Strength, a Space Marine with a Toughness of 40 has a Toughness bonus of 8 (which is also their damage reduction), while an ordinary human with the same score still only has a Toughness bonus of 4. Not only do Space Marines hit twice as hard, but they ignore twice as much damage.

Agility - How fast you are. Agility directly impacts your movement speed, but is also the characteristic that is tied to the Dodge skill. We’ll get into how important Dodge is later, but for now we’ll just say that having a high Agility score is really good at saving your rear end thanks to Dodge.

Intelligence - How smart you are. Intelligence is tied to every single lore skill in the game and is thus very good to have around if you want to ‘remember’ some of the more intricate details of monsters and the setting. Certain Space Marines might also find it valuable if they work with technology, as the Tech-Use skill is directly tied to it.

Perception - How good at noticing things you are. Space Marines do have some organs which boost their perception rolls (hearing and sight), but nothing as extreme as the super-strength and toughness they get.

Willpower - How strong-willed you are in the face of everything. Willpower is the most useful characteristic for Librarians, as psyker powers rely on Willpower, but it can be pretty useful for ‘squad leader’ builds too.

Fellowship - How much people like you/how able you are to negotiate… gently caress it, it’s just Charisma. Squad leader types will want to boost this characteristic really high, as it will allow you to command and motivate NPCs a lot easier.

So now that we’ve done that, let’s generate our Space Marine’s characteristics!

And Orokos tells us… We’ve got an interesting guy. We’re rolling them all in order, so here we go:
pre:
WS: 47 (This guy is going to be really choppy)
BS: 38 (This guy is almost certainly going to be choppy)
S: 33 (This is a problem)
T: 38 (...Could be better, as it’s below average)
Ag: 44 (Much better)
Int: 40
Per: 39
WP: 42
Fel: 43
We’ll reroll the 33 to wind up with a Strength of 41, which is a lot better.

And now we get to pick our Chapter!

Step 2: Picking your Chapter

Hoo boy. You’re going to get a lot of nerds’ hackles raised talking about what Chapters are good and which ones are bad. Chapters are important to the Space Marines because they form a core part of their identities and separate them from the rest of their Brothers. It influences who they are, how they act, how they conduct themselves in battle, etc. In fact, this is what makes the Deathwatch really interesting fluff-wise - they are comprised of brothers from every single chapter, and oftentimes even chapters that dislike each other learn to work together.

Chapters in Deathwatch do a lot. They give you additional access to skills and talents that you might not otherwise have. They give you an attitude common to brothers from your chapter to give you a hook to roleplay with. They affect which statistics you get to apply a +5 bonus to during character creation. For Librarians, they determine which bonus psyker powers you have access to, and for everyone else they determine which Solo Mode and Squad Mode abilities you have access to. We’ll get into Solo/Squad mode later, but what you need to know is that your Chapter influences how your character acts more than anything else.

In the Core Rulebook, Fantasy Flight only included the most popular chapters (plus one of their own creation). These chapters are:

The Ultramarines: No, they’re not called that because they’re more Marine than every other Marine out there - they just occupy a region of space known as Ultramar. Really. You either love these guys because they’re one of the few that actually give a poo poo about human life, or you hate them because GW can’t stop making these guys power-armored Mary Sues.

Space Wolves: They wolf wolf and wolf your wolf all wolf long. These guys are more or less Space Vikings with a side of Wolfman. You love these guys because they’re SPACE VIKINGS and they know how to have a good time. You hate them because GW can’t stop making overpowered Codexes for them in the tabletop version of the game. If you play a Space Wolf, you can’t play as an Apothecary (don’t worry - they have their own version of Apothecaries in a later supplement and - you guessed it - they made it overpowered as gently caress).

Black Templars: BURN THE WITCH! These guys do not gently caress around, and they hate psykers almost as much as Khorne does. Black Templars play up the Space Knight archetype to the hilt, and unsurprisingly they favor assault actions. Playing a Black Templar actually limits you a lot in terms of what specialties you can play as: Black Templars can’t be Librarians (they like burning psykers instead) and they can’t be Devastators (because sitting in the back firing at people is for pansies - real knights put swords in people’s heads). Since they are successors to the Imperial Fists, some of their geneseed is also malfunctioning a bit (but nothing that’s terribly useful anyways). You love them because they’re metal and 40k as gently caress, you hate them because the guy at the table playing them won’t stop trying to put a Power Sword through your Librarian’s skull.

Blood Angels: Edward Cullen-type Space Vampires. Blood Angels are said to look like they’re well-sculpted, but the Chapter hides a dark secret - at some point in their lives, they lose all pretense of sanity and desire nothing more than to kill the enemy and drink their blood. This is because one of the Big Bads of the setting murdered their founder (known as Primarchs) really badly, and said founder also had a few unpleasant run-ins with Greater Daemons of Khorne. You love them because they’re all bound to be tragic heroes - you hate them because they’re all bound to be tragic heroes.

Dark Angels: Brooding dudes who are in a secret club that has a secret club inside a secret club. No, that’s actually true. Dark Angels are generally secretive dudes who are hunting down renegade members of their chapter so that no one ever finds out that half of their chapter actually betrayed the Imperium during the near-apocalyptic times known as the Horus Heresy. You love them because they enjoy Plasma Weapons and being able to get secrets out of drat near everybody. You hate them because for crying out loud, do we need another Chapter full of moody-broody dudes that also has Angel in the title?

(Yeah, there’s no old arts for these guys because…)
Storm Wardens: Wait, you didn’t read about these guys in a GW Codex? That’s OK - this is actually FFG’s home-brewed Chapter that GW allowed them to make for the 40k RPG line. Storm Wardens are essentially Space Scotsmen, down to the point where you can actually opt out of the standard Combat Knife that all Space Marines get and instead take a Claymore. This makes them completely awesome. One guy on /tg apparently played the Space Scotsman angle to the hilt, and the result is Brother Dougie McIsaac. You love them because for gently caress’s sake, they’re Space Scotsmen. You hate them because you’re a GW purist and these guys aren’t technically canon nowadays.

And that does it for our Chapters! There are additional supplements that add a gently caress-ton of Chapters in case you wanted to be from a different kind of Chapter. For instance, First Founding lets you roll up Space Marines from every other original chapter except the Imperial Fists (and the Chaos ones, obviously). Honour the Chapter contains a huge butt-load of Successor Chapters for even more variety. For some reason or another though, Rites of Battle has a chapter in it, and it’s the Imperial Fists (who aren’t in First Founding)

Because I’m actually going to skip ahead a bit and say I’m making a Librarian (because I hate myself and feel like you need to see how rules for Psykers work), that actually limits what Chapters we can select. Seeing as how GW doesn’t really want them to be canon anymore, we’re going to roll with a Storm Warden because gently caress GW.

Storm Wardens don’t actually get two characteristic bonuses (they get one plus a stat bonus), but they do add 5 to our Strength score. After picking our chapter, our stat block now looks like this:
pre:
WS: 47
BS: 38 
S: 46 
T: 38 
Ag: 44
Int: 40
Per: 39
WP: 42
Fel: 43
Our chapter has more mechanical consequences that we’ll get into as we come across them in later steps. For now, we’ll move onto:

Next time: Step 3/Chapter 2 - Picking your Specialty

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 13, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hostile V posted:

How much of the population is capable of making babies to repopulate.
Is this like, including children and old people? What is causing all of this, are the dolphins just repeatedly hammering everyone's junk because they're assholes? Or is it the Generic Postapocalyptica?

You'd think they'd try to figure out how to make some Zentraedi clone cylinders instead of loving around with supercavitating torpedoes.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Fossilized Rappy posted:

SR-71 Blackbird: After the military decommissioned the SR-71, most of the stock that didn't get transferred to NASA went into the hands of Aegis, and players with a pilot profession can access these famously fast spy planes for their own use. The Blackbird is the only non-secret aircraft that is actually fast enough to take on extraterrestrial vessels in combat, and as a result Aegis SR-71s are often fitted up with salvos of heat-seeking missiles. Players are required to keep their SR-71s in a hanger whenever they aren't in use as part of secrecy and security protocols.

Ah yes, famous for their ability to barely turn at all, their capacity to carry 3 missiles to fool congress into thinking they're fighter planes, and their incredible function of leaking all their fuel all over the place when they're on the ground. Truly the fighter plane of the ages.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

theironjef posted:

Ah yes, famous for their ability to barely turn at all, their capacity to carry 3 missiles to fool congress into thinking they're fighter planes, and their incredible function of leaking all their fuel all over the place when they're on the ground. Truly the fighter plane of the ages.
I assume they're like the ones the X-Men had.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

theironjef posted:

Depending on your choices you can get something better (in earlier rulesets and hopefully here too). The Blackbird is just what any old Cell can get.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

theironjef posted:

Weren't they also capable of carrying nuclear ordinance?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

theironjef posted:

To be fair, there was a proposed interceptor variant of the SR-71's predecessor, the A-12, IDed as the YF-12. And their form factors are similar.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

theironjef posted:

Yeah but no other plane can catch the UFOs apparently. I guess maybe they should have a modified MiG-25 variant but the excuse holds up at least superficially.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Librarians: Almost as good in melee as the Assault Marine with better weapons and incredibly powerful special abilities.

So balanced.

Though really every DW character is such a massive murder machine that it's a little irrelevant. I mean, I was, as I said, a totally average Tactical Marine using Bolter Mastery and a Heavy Bolter and Sgt. Martinez cleaned right up every battle.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 13, 2017

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Davin Valkri posted:

To be fair, there was a proposed interceptor variant of the SR-71's predecessor, the A-12, IDed as the YF-12. And their form factors are similar.

It was a lie. The YF-12 was basically a way to get government funding for an interceptor and spend it on spy planes without a lot of public uproar. I mean, it was designed, and could hold the aforementioned three missiles, but it wasn't really meant to be a thing. It would have been terrible.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Even as somebody who reviews Palladium books and has gotten so jaded on useless statistics that I barely mention them anymore, that's somehow even more baffling. I struggle to envision a game that would demand any use of that statistic.

I remember fertility percentages being a thing between the different factions, like "X has high tech, but trouble with their population due to low fertility," and that informs why/how they hate each other. But for the individual colonies? I guess it's a way to represent general health and sustainability, and a low fertility colony is going to have a Sword of Damocles just hanging over their future. But what can you do about it in a game that isn't super gross?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Night10194 posted:

Librarians: Almost as good in melee as the Assault Marine with better weapons and incredibly powerful special abilities.

So balanced.

Though really every DW character is such a massive murder machine that it's a little irrelevant. I mean, I was, as I said, a totally average Tactical Marine using Bolter Mastery and a Heavy Bolter and Sgt. Martinez cleaned right up every battle.

I actually have specialties written up, I just don't have the rest of Chapter 1 done yet. I decided to post to keep moving forward and to make next week's update a lot easier on my schedule. Needless to say, I do try to address this disparity. There's not a lot of balance in Deathwatch in general.

Nevertheless, all the specialties are pretty good because you're SPACE MARINES and most things you face (except maybe Necrons) are typically inferior to you in some way. The Assault Marine gets Lightning Attack at Rank 2, meaning even pretty early in their career they're hitting three times to the Librarian's one.

It's just the Librarian's one hit is enough to kill most things in one hit. Balance! And he has a ton of ways to negate having a lovely BS. More balance!

By Rank 3, the Librarian will have Swift Attack though, and by Rank 7 they'll finally get Lightning Attack (and Psy Rating 9).

Apothecaries kind of get the poo poo end of the stick, as they don't get to be as good in melee as Assault Marines and their special abilities and gear tend to pale in comparison to Librarians. Still, thematically a lot of Watch Captains are going to mandate that you need someone to be the bitch Apothecary because to lose any of a Chapter's geneseed is a Bad Thing for the Deathwatch.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

theironjef posted:

It was a lie. The YF-12 was basically a way to get government funding for an interceptor and spend it on spy planes without a lot of public uproar. I mean, it was designed, and could hold the aforementioned three missiles, but it wasn't really meant to be a thing. It would have been terrible.

There were CIA predecessor models of the SR-71, what, 10 years before they were ever remotely public?

Night10194 posted:

So balanced.

Please direct all questions on Assault Marines to Tormagoden the Eviscerator, Flesh Tearer with lightning attack and a breaching augur.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Precambrian posted:

I remember fertility percentages being a thing between the different factions, like "X has high tech, but trouble with their population due to low fertility," and that informs why/how they hate each other. But for the individual colonies? I guess it's a way to represent general health and sustainability, and a low fertility colony is going to have a Sword of Damocles just hanging over their future. But what can you do about it in a game that isn't super gross?
Fire up the cloning vats, Citizen.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

wiegieman posted:

Please direct all questions on Assault Marines to Tormagoden the Eviscerator, Flesh Tearer with lightning attack and a breaching augur.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Nessus posted:

Is this like, including children and old people? What is causing all of this, are the dolphins just repeatedly hammering everyone's junk because they're assholes? Or is it the Generic Postapocalyptica?

You'd think they'd try to figure out how to make some Zentraedi clone cylinders instead of loving around with supercavitating torpedoes.

It was mentioned earlier in the setting that a huge percentage of humanity is sterile, meaning that sustaining the population is fairly huge. This is used to justify lots of really gross poo poo in the setting.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

senrath posted:

I assume the idea is for GMs who, for whatever reason, want to model how the population would change if they're running their game X years into the future of the setting.
Yes, pretty much this. Polaris loves having the GM do middle school math.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Asehujiko posted:

Yes, pretty much this. Polaris loves having the GM do middle school math.

Does Polaris actually have some kind of empire development system or something? I mean, yes, you could use it as a means to track settlement growth, but is there a conceivable situation in which that would be important to track?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I ran Deathwatch one time. Turns out a system designed to handle rat-catchers with a small (but vicious) dog doesn't handle power-armoured post-humans with Plasma Guns very well.

The Heavy Bolter on the Devastator was especially, ludicrously, over-powered.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

One major criticism I have with the system is that it doesn't do middle grounds very well. Either you absolutely devastate the opposition, or the opposition absolutely devastates you. It gives some loose guidelines for creating a 'fair' fight, but even then there's nothing in the system that's codified like Challenge Rating to help you gauge threats accordingly as a GM.

It's definitely led to a GM getting very deflated when the Ork Warboss he had planned out as a major boss encounter simply got turned into Swiss cheese by the Heavy Bolter we had on the team.

Maybe someday I'll go more into it with the Necron stat blocks. They're pretty much one of the few enemies that can credibly stand up to Space Marines. However, their melee weapons (and even their ranged ones) are ludicrous. They pretty much negate anything short of Terminator armor, and even then that only offers token resistance. Necrons also have high Strength and weapon damage, so it basically becomes a 'if you get hit, you go straight into criticals' kind of scenario.

There's a term that somebody threw around earlier called 'rocket tag' in reference to high-level Deathwatch combats, and that's pretty accurate.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
For me, the 40k system is the contemporary equivalent of all those 80s superhero games that model the difference between Batman's STR and Green Arrows STR, and then also model the difference between both of them and Superman. Just way too fine-grained for most of what you're doing with it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

One Chapter that isn't covered in Deathwatch is the Grey Knights. Instead FFG put them in a Dark Heresy book.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What was the reasoning for excluding the Imperial Fists in the main book? I never really thought about it before but it seemed odd to exclude them since they're from the first founding. The proto-Deathwatch was founded by an Imperial First marine too but that's more recent, after the publishing of the main book, and I don't know what the original fluff was outside of, Space Marine Predator the movie simulation squad.

GW fluff is all over the place and contradicts itself all the time. I imagine it was a pain in the rear end to write Deathwatch material since it was the only line that GW actually cared about.

EDIT:

SirPhoebos posted:

One Chapter that isn't covered in Deathwatch is the Grey Knights. Instead FFG put them in a Dark Heresy book.

They're a different branch of the Inquisition so I guess that was the logic. :shrug: They're also formed from the remnants of the traitor legions who stayed loyal but that's a more recent thing I think as well.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 13, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Halloween Jack posted:

For me, the 40k system is the contemporary equivalent of all those 80s superhero games that model the difference between Batman's STR and Green Arrows STR, and then also model the difference between both of them and Superman. Just way too fine-grained for most of what you're doing with it.

Except everyone involved is also made of tissue paper.

Marines are the toughest PC type in the system and even with them, the sorts of weapons that can actually get through the base armor will kill them fairly quickly.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

They're a different branch of the Inquisition so I guess that was the logic. :shrug:
40KRPG accurately models the organizational horseshit of a real military organization.

They just need a Lord Admiral Halsey to get suckered into leaving all their Frigates unguarded.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I don't find it quite as surprising seeing how the whole setting seems to revolve around fertility. For some reason. You'd think "Everyone's living under the sea!" would be the main focus.

(I expect the GM sectoin to have a formula where you can figure out how long it will take an individual colony to go extinct from lack of babies.)

LuiCypher posted:

First off - no girls allowed. :biotruths: According to the reams of fluff jam-packed into Warhammer 40k, only dudes can be Space Marines because reasons (insert vaguely sexist argument here). If I were running a game though, I wouldn’t care.

Do Metroids count as Tyranids?

theironjef posted:

I bet Airbus could top that.

Night10194 posted:

So balanced.

Then again, Assault Marines can fly, and depending on which power you get, they can smash into hordes to hard they make a couple critters explode. Also none of their abilities can accidentally summon Daemons and stuff. Still, psykers rule.

Halloween Jack posted:

Though I'd say the 40k RPGs would run a lot smoother when ported to Hero System.

SirPhoebos posted:

Makes sense if you ask me. The Grey Knights don't have a whole lot to do with normal Chapters and aren't recruited into the Deathwatch. Also they're even more overpowered because every single one of them is a badass warrior psyker.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

SirPhoebos posted:

Probably because Grey Knights are not a Marine chapter per say not to mention part of a different Ordos. Deathwatch is under the purview of Ordo Xenos and mainly deal with aliens while GKs are somewhat part of Ordo Malleus and deal pretty much exclusively with daemons and nothing else.
They're also supposed to be a step above normal Marines, with being all Psykers as well.

efb somewhat.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

GW fluff is all over the place and contradicts itself all the time. I imagine it was a pain in the rear end to write Deathwatch material since it was the only line that GW actually cared about.

FFG's writers are on record as saying Games Workshop were all over them throughout Deathwatch's product cycle. Every little thing had to be signed off by them because the Space Marines were such valuable IP.

So I imagine the Imperial Fists were either held back a book or two while GW demanded amendments, or for the more cynical motive of making people buy multiple books.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

You got me curious ,warhamms: Is there a marine organization supporting the Ordo Hereticus?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Imperial Fists are used as an example of the chapter creation mechanic. They also make the best Librarians.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Cooked Auto posted:

They're also supposed to be a step above normal Marines, with being all Psykers as well.

Probably thanks to their mysterious origin. They might have the Emprah himself as their Primarch, but it's pretty sketchy. Maybe they're created through a whole different process.

They've also been shown wearing Terminator Armor so often that I'm not even sure if they even get the normal armor.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

You got me curious ,warhamms: Is there a marine organization supporting the Ordo Hereticus?

Space Marines aren't so numerous that they can be bothered with simple heretics. But don't worry, the Inquisition has more than enough manpower for that job.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 13, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
So what's the most fanboyishly written Space Marine chapter? I'm guessing Ultramarines or Grey Knights?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

No marines, they are supported by the Sisters of Battle instead.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

LordAbaddon posted:

No marines, they are supported by the Sisters of Battle instead.

Ordo Malleus gets Kamen Riders.
Ordo Xenos gets Sentai teams.
Ordo Hereticus gets Pretty Cures.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Halloween Jack posted:

40KRPG accurately models the organizational horseshit of a real military organization.

They just need a Lord Admiral Halsey to get suckered into leaving all their Frigates unguarded.

I'm not sure if you jest, but they really do that in Only War. Depending on the state of the war, how many resources the Imperium's willing to devote to it, your equipment request, and your requisition roll, you can end up with anything from a relic weapon to a crate full of lho sticks.

By the way, all you asked for were a couple of extra lasguns to equip the new guys you recently 'acquired'.

wiegieman posted:

The Imperial Fists are used as an example of the chapter creation mechanic. They also make the best Librarians.

You say that, but there's always the Space Sharks Carcharodons in Honour the Chapter, and maybe the Blood Ravens from the same book.

Also, Chapter Creation mechanics are really wonky and confusing because there's technically two books that delve into Chapter Creation, and having both is recommended. Both Rites of Battle and Honour the Chapter contain these vital details. I'm gonna say it's GW being greedy with money.

It's also very telling that if you look at the 40k RPGs pre-Black Crusade and post-Black Crusade, there's a huge difference in the number of supplements. Dark Heresy 1e, Rogue Trader, and Deathwatch had a metric gently caress-ton of splatbooks. Black Crusade, Only War, and Dark Heresy 2e had very few. I think BC had an adventure book and four splatbooks, Only War had an adventure and two splatbooks, and DH2e maybe had three splatbooks and an adventure? The point I want to make is - GW probably saw the RPG line as less-profitable because Deathwatch (which has Space Marines, their most lucrative IP) likely did not sell as well as projected.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Halloween Jack posted:

So what's the most fanboyishly written Space Marine chapter? I'm guessing Ultramarines or Grey Knights?

Alluded to in my review, but pretty much. A lot of people who follow GW will point to Matt Ward turning both Chapters into Power-armored Mary Sues who don't lose battles and never do anything wrong ever. Also, all other Space Marines venerate the Ultramarines as Marneus Calgar (Chapter Master and thus head of the Ultramarines) is their 'spiritual liege'.

I am not making this up. Go to the Quotes section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I don't know why they had such high expectations when Space Marines are really dull rpg characters. You are a brainwashed warrior monk who barely remembers their own backstory outside of their warrior monk brainwashing which deliberately scrubbed the individuality out of them. They only become interesting as characters when they go renegade, regain their individuality and have character flaws besides "being too much of a fascist".

Inquisitors, Rogue Traders, Chaos Renengades and even Imperial Guard are way more interesting since they have some semblance of individuality and have motivations that include nuance.