Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Our necromancer has been surprisingly bloodless, if that whole blood writing thing was supposed to be necromancer work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Look, when you haven't got any ghosts you work with the materials at hand.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 21. I already used "You're Not Supposed To Be Here" back in EO2U, so, uh...

Incidentally, look forward to EO2U finally hitting the LP Archive within a day or so (I think).

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Hey hey, look what hit the Archive 3 hours after I posted the update.

Relive all the fun memories of EO2U, such as Ranger decimating several postgame bosses, and Fetus smashing his head on the wall known as Ur-Devil! Marvel at how far I've come with regards to writing in every aspect! Gasp in horror at how bad the early enemy images and writeups were! It's fun for the whole family!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Was that an actually useful* status effect weapon? :psyduck:
*actual usefulness might vary, but it's not dead weight

It must have been an oversight, everyone knows status effect weapons in EO must have negative stats, passively buff the enemies just in case and half of them are actually Fire Emblem's devil axe.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It's pretty useful. I didn't even realize it had a status attached because it had actual stats. A free blind going off in a few encounters made things unexpectedly easier in those instances. Also Blind isn't a status that Reapers normally have access to, so it wasn't redundant with their skillset at all. (Not that you should be trying to inflict it in the big fights.) I'm not sure when the next scythe upgrade is, but that one lasted me for a good while.

Also hooray for getting more EO LPs on the archive! :toot:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I never understood why status effect weapons in EO are that bad. I understand dropping the stats a bit, but in a series where:
-status effect weapons can't proc off skills and player damage is anemic outside of skills
-basically all your offensive stats come from the weapon

giving them 0 (technically 1) attack is a tad overkill.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's pretty useful. I didn't even realize it had a status attached because it had actual stats. A free blind going off in a few encounters made things unexpectedly easier in those instances. Also Blind isn't a status that Reapers normally have access to, so it wasn't redundant with their skillset at all. (Not that you should be trying to inflict it in the big fights.) I'm not sure when the next scythe upgrade is, but that one lasted me for a good while.

Not that far off--an enemy we'll meet on 15F has a drop that makes a new Scythe, which outpaces the Darkness Scythe with a forge or two.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I wasn't available to give commentary this time, but the Lord of the Dead speaks in all-caps there because his Japanese dialog uses katakana instead of hiragana (he still uses kanji though). If you don't know what that means, he's basically speaking in all caps. I'd imagine it's meant to emphasize his unnatural, alien voice rather than him being shouting all the time though.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
So we are already on the point that no one made it past?
Usually when NPCs start hyping up the next boss you are in for quite the battle. (rear end in a top hat Bird, Scylla, Ketos, ... uh... Berzerker King? Or rather Boiling Lizard)

These secret areas are strange - since they have no new enemies I assume you can just waltz right in on your first exploration? No level requirements to meet or keys to be found?
Well, I guess the rewards are not too outstanding but that makes these secrets even more strange...
Although the skeleton dormitory looked cool.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

werbear posted:

Usually when NPCs start hyping up the next boss you are in for quite the battle. (rear end in a top hat Bird, Scylla, Ketos, ... uh... Berzerker King? Or rather Boiling Lizard)

These secret areas are strange - since they have no new enemies I assume you can just waltz right in on your first exploration? No level requirements to meet or keys to be found?
Well, I guess the rewards are not too outstanding but that makes these secrets even more strange...

Isn't it usually the third stratum then?

The secret areas aren't really secret; if you're paying attention you can find them on the first try. And you probably will. Although I totally failed to notice the one in the 1st stratum until I looked at the strategy guide.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Omobono posted:

I never understood why status effect weapons in EO are that bad. I understand dropping the stats a bit, but in a series where:
-status effect weapons can't proc off skills and player damage is anemic outside of skills

Mainly because they're meant to give you another method to snag certain conditional drops, nothing more. I'm not sure why the Dark Scythe is like the sole exception in the entire series. (Discounting forged weapons you can make yourself.) No matter what role the Reaper is put in, they're certainly gonna appreciate that weapon.

I think the reason they don't straight up give them 0 attack is that certain damage formulas wouldn't play nicely with them. (though they would work fine in EO3 and 4.) Mainly because in the EO games, forcing the game to divide by 0 straight up halts any ongoing calculations, and causes the game to give up and use whatever numbers it had in there before that happened.

werbear posted:

The only thing blocking off discovery of them is if you realize that they're there or not. There are no tells on the walls that there's a passage there. Your only hint that they exist is that the map fog lights up a specific area on the map, despite the fact that you seemingly explored the entire floor. I'm pretty sure this is the first time since EOU that there have been unmarked passages.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
So these secret areas are essentially bigger versions of the hidden rooms that contain a single chest?
Interesting yet still strange. I guess finding them is a bit more exciting from an exploration standpoint than finding the small rooms in other titles.

But I assume you can still report your map to Remus even if the secret areas are missing, correct?

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.

Omobono posted:

Sometimes I just throw them on support classes that wouldn't be using their regular attacks anyway, so on turns where they're not buffing or healing or whatever and I don't have another ailment I'm trying to land, I can bet on the RNG. Situational, without a doubt, but I'm stubborn and don't like spending TP outside of bosses/FOEs.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Efe posted:

Sometimes I just throw them on support classes that wouldn't be using their regular attacks anyway, so on turns where they're not buffing or healing or whatever and I don't have another ailment I'm trying to land, I can bet on the RNG. Situational, without a doubt, but I'm stubborn and don't like spending TP outside of bosses/FOEs.

I do this too... except my supporters never have a free turn because either the battle ends too quickly or I've given them too many jobs.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how we unlock better recipes for dungeon cooking just by talking to a cooking fanatic.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Glazius posted:

I like how we unlock better recipes for dungeon cooking just by talking to a cooking fanatic.

I can't remember if Ragnar made this clear, but the latest recipe involves cooking Skeletal Fish that we found swimming around in the labyrinth. That always amuses me.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Clarste posted:

I can't remember if Ragnar made this clear, but the latest recipe involves cooking Skeletal Fish that we found swimming around in the labyrinth. That always amuses me.

It's not really a swimming fish skeleton, is it?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It is. You fish it up from pools.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

...video game logic, I guess.

Sounds... delicious... no, not really.

Fish bone turned into actual food.

Actually that just sounds painful. I love fish, but fish bones are the most hated part of it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You could use them to make a soup stock! Slice up some Mandragora, a pinch of Alraune shavings... Yeah, we can work with this.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I believe bisque is made by grinding fish and shellfish bones into paste, and then using it to thicken a cream base for a soup. So the idea isn't without precedent, assuming these fish are just straight skeleton.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 22. End of the 15th floor. You know what that means, right?

BOSS TIME BABY HELL YEAH GO READ THIS AND THEN GO VOTE FOR THE PARTY

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Raven Death-Bringing, Sasha Adamantine, Mio Love

Reco fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 18, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Raven

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hivac posted:

Raven, Sasha, Mio

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I should note, btw: if you don't specify a spec, I'll just default to whatever that character currently has.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Raven, Alexis, Cecil, Mio

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Raven, Gram (Falcon), Mio (Love), Lanzon (Destroying)

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Lanzon (Destroying), Kaelin (Ruler), Alexis

And may I just say that I'm pretty jazzed about how you chose to use my ghost backstories/personalities, because it wouldn't be nearly as funny if B didn't know that repeatedly exploding and re-coalescing was his entire afterlife's purpose.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
So there is an enemy that is a coffin filled with mummies.
Its drop is an Empty Casket.
And it's used to build either a Scythe or Heavy Armor but not Coffin weapons for the Necromancer...
Sure, why not.

(Alcharagia's link to the secret Joestar technique has the wrong background color.)

The goblet event is pretty cool. Hallucinations are not used that often in EO probably because they usually try to be rooted more in the ancient technology setting.
This time around they are far more willing to go for outright magic and stuff like necromancy.
("but the other other skeletons keep laughing" - it's right before you lose the 140 TP and I think there's an "other" too much.)

alcharagia posted:

hi my names wiglaf
Wiglaf is excellent at activating Links and that's all she ever needs to do.

Going back to town at this point is so anti-climactic it's hilarious.
"I will hold them off, you go on ahead."
"Yeah, ok. We go back to town. Have fun with the undead."

Anyways:
Gunpowder Sasha, Spirit-Destroying Lanzon, Single Peerless Jana and Does Not Get A Cool Title Dosen

Blue Link
Apr 22, 2014
Sasha, Lanzon

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Lanzon (Destroying), Mio (Love), Raven, and Sasha (Gunpowder)

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Alexis, Lanzon (Destroyer), Raven (Death-Bringer), Mio (love)

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
That winged form boss design is really cool looking.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Raven, Alexis, Mio, Lanzon

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Current results are:

quote:

Raven Death-Bringing: 8
Mio Love: 7
Lanzon Destroying: 7
Alexis: 4
Sasha Adamantine: 3

Sasha Gunpowder: 2
Cecil Combo: 1
Gram Falcon: 1
Kaelin Ruler: 1
Jana Single: 1
Dosen: 1

...Uh-oh.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Raven, Sasha, Lanzon, and Cecil.

Base classes.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Undead King looks rad. I didn't expect an colorful Egyptian themed boss from how the Stratum is like, but he still looks great. Mechanically interesting, too. I'm really liking how the boss encounters are designed in this game.

And, uh, Ragnar's choice x4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Raven, Ragnar's choice x3

• Locked thread