Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Arino just turned 45 in Japan, so send some love.
https://twitter.com/arimorokoshi415

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WesY2K
Mar 26, 2013

zari-gani posted:

This is all I can reveal for now (and Kan announced it at the book signing back in December which is why I think it's safe for me to say) but "Game no Naka" will be released here in English, and I'm translating it.

This is super awesome!

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

zari-gani posted:

This is all I can reveal for now (and Kan announced it at the book signing back in December which is why I think it's safe for me to say) but "Game no Naka" will be released here in English, and I'm translating it.

I was going to buy it originally, but I didn't have any money and now I have money and I'll buy it in English instead. Congrats.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Will the Arino-esque character be replaced by a Conan-esque character?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Will the Arino-esque character be replaced by a Conan-esque character?

That would actually be awesome... but no.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

zari-gani posted:

That's great! I can't wait to own it in English and in Japanese!

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

zari-gani posted:

They're eating him!

And then they're going to eat me!

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013
Bless your soul for that Troll 2 reference. That corner piece of cake with the eye staring blankly is a bit unsettling, imo :P

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

zari-gani posted:

He got a lot of cakes.

http://415yoiko.jp/arino/2017/02/post-688.html

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

The next game has a female protagonist.

Something unusual about the Super C episode: they didn't show the cartridge during the intro, and it wasn't a prize at the end. I'll check when I rewatch it (I'm not very attentive at 5 AM), but I can't recall seeing the game at all.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Do you see it in the system?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

Do you see it in the system?

Like I said, can't recall. I didn't realize they didn't show it and weren't giving it away until the end, and I was close to being late for work.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Weird. We'll see what happens next time then.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

Weird. We'll see what happens next time then.

Apparently a boxed copy with the instruction manual costs 20000-40000 yen, so I guess they didn't want to give it away.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Has that ever stopped them before?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

Has that ever stopped them before?

I think I remember Super Spy Hunter being expensive as well, and seeing as cartridge only goes for about 40,000 yen, and a CIB copy goes for 218,780 yen (230,000 for an unopened copy), I think that was it. They still gave it away though, IIRC. Collectors in Japan who watch the show sometimes moan on Twitter about how a game appearing drives up it's price.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Gimmick and Battletoads come to mind too.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

Gimmick and Battletoads come to mind too.

CIB, 30,000-60,000 yen for each of them.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Kakaricho posted:

Apparently a boxed copy with the instruction manual costs 20000-40000 yen, so I guess they didn't want to give it away.

My completely uninformed guess: they played it on a flashcart or via emulation.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

My completely uninformed guess: they played it on a flashcart or via emulation.

I can't imagine them doing that, I just think it was too expensive to let Arino scribble on it and give it away.

Another candidate for best eyecatch ever.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kakaricho posted:

So I'm guessing Arino aced Super C? Did he use the 30 lives code?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

Finally, Legend of Zelda! :v:

Kind of a broad category and there are a few interesting ones. I'm going with one of the Valis games since the show hasn't touched them yet.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

TeaJay posted:

Just to play with Inoue and reminisce on when they played the first one eleven years ago.
Also, it seems Inoue chose his career over continuing his family's liquor store, which closed in 2013. He also was recently promoted to being a group leader at Gas Coin.

Regarding the cartridge issues, they're clearly playing with one, it just wasn't featured in the intro or given away as a prize.

Random Stranger posted:

Kind of a broad category and there are a few interesting ones. I'm going with one of the Valis games since the show hasn't touched them yet.

I'm not a praying man, but if Arino could play Mischief Makers...

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 4, 2017

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

That's not how you use spoilers

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

A Layla revenge attempt, finally.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

March 6th is Matsui's birthday, but he doesn't have his own public Twitter account. Send some love to https://twitter.com/gccx_official.

Or don't, I'm not your dad. Do as you please.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

TeaJay posted:

It looks like he opted to use the stage select code with 3 lives instead.

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 14, 2017

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Kakaricho posted:

I'm not a praying man, but if Arino could play Mischief Makers...

I'll add that if he gets to properly play Super Metroid, I'll become very devout towards God.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

It's Inoue's birthday, send him some love!

@inokomax

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kakaricho posted:

CIB, 30,000-60,000 yen for each of them.

So that's... 2 dollars AUS, right?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

So that's... 2 dollars AUS, right?

Given the cost of games in Australia, I think it's all the dollars.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Inoko MAX wished me back a happy birthday. I feel like my life is complete :buddy:

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Inoko MAX wished me back a happy birthday. I feel like my life is complete :buddy:

Happy birthday!

Next game and last episode of Season 20 is Märchen Maze.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 9, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

Next game and last episode of Season 20 is Märchen Maze.

This is one of those obscure choices that will probably turn out to be something that Arino enjoys.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

This is one of those obscure choices that will probably turn out to be something that Arino enjoys.

They're certainly getting their mileage out of TurboGrafx-16 games in the last season or two.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

That looks like a game that Arino will be terrible at, should be fun.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I tried Märchen Maze on my PCE Duo and boy, does it get hard fast. Second level was all kinds of pandemonium and you fight the boss on a conveyor belt going in all directions. There is a stage select when you continue, though.

Heigen
Mar 10, 2017
I just hope the new subbed episode comes out sooner than later, made even this account because of that. It's been awhile from the last ep. Keep up the good work.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Random Stranger posted:

Super C is easier than original flavor Contra, but it's still no cakewalk. However, there is a thirty lives code in the Famicom version and a stage select so my guess is after letting him have some initial struggles, they take mercy on him. First by letting him just stage select, and then if he's really pressing for time they'll let him use the thirty lives code. That'll make it a ten hour clear.
I went back and played Super C again (for the first time in quite a few years), and beat it in less than 30 minutes only using 1 continue (US version so only 10 lives with the code). So I could agree that it's a bit easier. Arino did surprisingly well with only 3 lives and 3 continues, although there's no way he would have beat it from stage 1 with only 3 lives and 3 continues.

Can someone explain what the gimmick was with the rainbow in the episode?

TeaJay posted:

I tried Märchen Maze on my PCE Duo and boy, does it get hard fast. Second level was all kinds of pandemonium and you fight the boss on a conveyor belt going in all directions. There is a stage select when you continue, though.
I gave it a try on my Turbo Duo last night and I will add that it's not a very good game. It has a unique gameplay in that the only way to kill (or be killed) is by being pushed off of the platform your traversing.

I was playing a translated version of the game, which appeared to have an Alice in Wonderland tie in. I'll assume that they won't have the rights to reference Alice in Wonderland too much during the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

cubeboy posted:

I was playing a translated version of the game, which appeared to have an Alice in Wonderland tie in. I'll assume that they won't have the rights to reference Alice in Wonderland too much during the show.

C.S. Lewis' book is very much in the public domain, and even the original Disney animated movie is in Japan because it's a pre-1953 film (you can get non-Disney sketchy-looking rough transfer DVD's of it for 500 yen, or $5ish, 100% legally, carried in regular stores).