Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

give me make over maven anyday

let me download and manage my own dependencies

I hate having to manually manage my maven repository because a project won't build with an updated dependency and I have, on my computer, the best version of the dependency to build the project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

on a similar vein, I dislike pip and npm too

but all of this is the wave of the future like systemd, so I have to work with it rather than avoid it completely

so what about them desktop linuxes huh

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

el dorito posted:

I hate having to manually manage my maven repository because a project won't build with an updated dependency and I have, on my computer, the best version of the dependency to build the project

lol

Beldantazar
Sep 10, 2011

el dorito posted:

You know you can specify the version of the dependency, right? You can even make it a property so you can override it in child projects if you have to. I literally do not understand how you could ever have this issue.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

el dorito posted:

dude the whole point of maven is that you specify the best version for your project in your pom and then you always get exactly that version. there is no situation in which you will ever get a different version than the one you specified in the pom. it will not download a newer version unless you tell it to by editing the pom.

unless you're doing something dumb like depending on snapshots. don't do that.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
using snapshots makes sense if they are your snapshots from your other projects

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

el dorito posted:

on a similar vein, I dislike pip and npm too

but all of this is the wave of the future like systemd, so I have to work with it rather than avoid it completely

so what about them desktop linuxes huh

my man have you heard about gentoo

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

el dorito posted:

as a c++ programmer, let me just say 'gently caress you'

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Beldantazar posted:

You know you can specify the version of the dependency, right? You can even make it a property so you can override it in child projects if you have to. I literally do not understand how you could ever have this issue.

Soricidus posted:

dude the whole point of maven is that you specify the best version for your project in your pom and then you always get exactly that version. there is no situation in which you will ever get a different version than the one you specified in the pom. it will not download a newer version unless you tell it to by editing the pom.

unless you're doing something dumb like depending on snapshots. don't do that.

suffice it to say that I can't check in pom changes

also, I'm just using maven, I'm not writing these config files and it's been a confusing time trying to figure out if a configuration item was being honored or was ignored.

like I said, I bet I'll have to learn it inside and out but make is much more straightforward

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Tankakern posted:

my man have you heard about gentoo

this will never stop being funny

fritz posted:

as a c++ programmer, let me just say 'gently caress you'

works for me

you're using maven for c++? are you generating native code or something?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

el dorito posted:

suffice it to say that I can't check in pom changes

if you're in a position where you've been given hosed-up broken build files that you cannot fix, how would it help for the hosed-up broken build files that you cannot fix to be called Makefile instead of pom.xml?

also your make scenario becomes a nightmare as soon as you don't already have the right dependencies lying around. if you don't then make sure isn't going to help you identify the right version and download it and install it in the right location! unlike maven, which does exactly that, if your pom isn't broken.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Soricidus posted:

if you're in a position where you've been given hosed-up broken build files that you cannot fix, how would it help for the hosed-up broken build files that you cannot fix to be called Makefile instead of pom.xml?

also your make scenario becomes a nightmare as soon as you don't already have the right dependencies lying around. if you don't then make sure isn't going to help you identify the right version and download it and install it in the right location! unlike maven, which does exactly that, if your pom isn't broken.

different strokes, each system has its own flaws.

The only thing I was bringing up was the auto downloading of dependencies and trying to get maven to just use a different, local version of a file. I'm not advocating that everyone must stop using maven and use Makefiles, I'm just identifying an issue that was particularly irksome and that it took too long for me to get maven to make sense.

If I was building my project fine now, I should be able to build it fine later if I'm just updating my own code. I'd rather not have to interrupt my thought process to figure out why my build suddenly broke. Your "nightmare scenario" happens if I'm merging, which really is just what I could expect and I'm ok with. I've been doing this awhile and it works out.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

el dorito posted:

If I was building my project fine now, I should be able to build it fine later if I'm just updating my own code.

maven does exactly this, though.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

el dorito posted:

you're using maven for c++? are you generating native code or something?

no im using cmake and dependency management in c and c++ is hell and has always been hell and at this rate will always be hell

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

fritz posted:

no im using cmake and dependency management in c and c++ is hell and has always been hell and at this rate will always be hell

very true

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the only flaw in maven is lack of pki

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i put fedora on my xps13, sorry shaggar.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
shameful

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i'll probably go back to win10 just because it's my c# machine, but it runs fedora like a champ.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

jony neuemonic posted:

i'll probably go back to win10 just because it's my c# machine, but it runs fedora like a champ.

very nice

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://github.com/bus1/dbus-broker

:popcorn:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

mentioned it in the laptop recommendations thread, but i915 just got a fix for making cheap usb-c -> hdmi dongles work with resolutions over 720p! finally!

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
gnome 3.24 is out and has a built in f.lux feature that works on wayland (unlike redshift)

so thats something to look forward to next year

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Rufus Ping posted:

gnome 3.24 is out and has a built in f.lux feature that works on wayland (unlike redshift)

fedora 26 is coming out this summer though

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Rufus Ping posted:

or june if you use fedora

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

debian on the desktop lmfao

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

current desktop debian status

they finally rebranded icedove back to thunderbird but somehow managed to gently caress up the migration script that, as far as i can tell, just symlinks ~/.thunderbird to ~/.icedove

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

spankmeister posted:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Remember:
CentOS in the street, Fedora in the sheets.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Remember:
CentOS in the street, Fedora in the sheets.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

is it worth giving fedora a go on my laptop? theres nothing glaringly wrong with debian atm and the closest thing ive used before is probably rhel 3 as a teenager

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Rufus Ping posted:

is it worth giving fedora a go on my laptop? theres nothing glaringly wrong with debian atm and the closest thing ive used before is probably rhel 3 as a teenager

I use Debian on my work laptop and Fedora on my home desktop. It is very needs suiting. The upgrade process used to be complete rear end (even OpenBSD was smoother), but it improved a lot in the last release or so.

Post-install you'll need to fight Stallman to install whatever non-free codecs you need, but it's at least pretty well documented.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Rufus Ping posted:

if you've already got a linux somehow working decently on a laptop, i say you've done well for yourself and shouldnt tempt fate and waste any more time switching to another broken linux distro.

i recommend going for a walk with a loved one or pet instead

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

that was my gut feeling unless theres something im obviously missing out on atm

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

fedora plays mp3s as of 25

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fedora has the best gnome and wayland implementation

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

hifi posted:

fedora plays mp3s as of 25

whoa

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Fedora is good

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

Fedora is good

Fedora is the only competent Linux distribution out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Fedora is pretty great but lol at trying to get media stuff like VLC working since the switch to wayland, such as https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/98107/vlc-picture-freezes-on-fedora-25/

It will be even more cool and good when they're able to support that stuff better and bring it out of rpmfusion.