Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Roads Untravelled is actually my favorite song off that album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

A game of Pop Music Would You Rather:

Would you rather:

Listen to a new John Mayer song

Listen to a Coldplay/Chainsmokers collab

Tear your ears off of your skull and eat them

Development
Jun 2, 2016

loving Selfish by Virginia to Vegas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P88sWR0XN0Q

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I keep reading articles that says that Katy's new song is good and I feel like I'm being gaslight'd. It's really bad, right?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Katy Perry Magazine gives it a 10 out of 10!

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

New Lorde single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMK_npDG12Q

Seems alright but I'm not too into it. Hard to pin down why, but I haven't liked any of her stuff as much as her first EP.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Tired Moritz posted:

I keep reading articles that says that Katy's new song is good and I feel like I'm being gaslight'd. It's really bad, right?

The Rebecca Black cover turned it into a good song.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

less laughter posted:

The Rebecca Black cover turned it into a good song.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7hvuTfY5XA

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Looks like she still hasn't gotten any better as a singer. I can hear the auto tune on my iPhone.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

plz dont pull out posted:

New Lorde single.

Seems alright but I'm not too into it. Hard to pin down why, but I haven't liked any of her stuff as much as her first EP.

It sounds like two or three different songs smushed together IMO. Like, 2 or 3 perfectly fine songs, but frankensteined because that's how pop music is supposed to sound this year. It's very different from her first album, especially Royals and Team, which flow very well both individually and with each other. Green Light is just a little schizoid.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
That Lorde song played four times in a row in a cafe earlier, I didn't like it much before but listening to it four times in a row made it kind of tolerable?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I just want to say I really like Green Light but I also laugh every time I remember the part of the video where she's dancing on some Uber driver's car

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Scylo posted:

That Lorde song played four times in a row in a cafe earlier, I didn't like it much before but listening to it four times in a row made it kind of tolerable?

This is most pop songs really. It's really rare for me to hear something once and fall completely in love. Those songs are v special though, because they tend to be the ones that never get old. (see: Here, the entirety of Emotion)

Speaking of songs that instantly made me go "drat": Here is the inevitable song of the summer by Calvin Harris, featuring Frank Ocean(!) and Migos(!!!)

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

https://youtu.be/slff3_3-ioQ

Lea Michele is coming out with another album.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

plz dont pull out posted:

New Lorde single.

As per usual NZ has this on absolute saturation right now. I think I just don't like her voice, but maybe that's a local/regional thing.

Ladyhawke is still the best NZ pop by miles anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?855oIILQNP0

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ed Sheeran's rubbish, isn't he?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ed Sheeran's rubbish, isn't he?
Shape of You is a great song but the rest of the album is meh.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Agreed, there are a few alright tracks but nothing as good as the last album.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked "Sing" off his last album but I think that's more because it was a pretty good Justin Timberlake song than because it was Ed Sheeran.

I was listening to some of the songs off his new one and it's all "Being rich and famous is sooooo haaaaard for a nice guy like me, maaaaan!" (there's one that's basically the musical equivalent of having a Che Guevara poster as the background on the home screen of your £500 smartphone) and then there's all the lyrics about listening to some Van the Man singing "Carrickfergus" on the jukebox. Kevin Rowland can do credible Van Morrison references, Ed Sheeran can't.

And just look at the British singles charts. Nine out of the top 10 songs are Ed Sheeran songs and most of them aren't even singles.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Wheat Loaf posted:

And just look at the British singles charts. Nine out of the top 10 songs are Ed Sheeran songs and most of them aren't even singles.

This is just the new age of streaming, whenever someone drops a new disc they try and tout this. After Starboy dropped, the Weeknd charted the entire album at one point.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think streaming has been a very mixed blessing for pop music, to be honest. It isn't about the charts - I don't really follow the charts these days - but my impression is that it becomes much more difficult for new artists to break through when streaming is the dominant thing.

I've read about hip-hop artists in the American south who can become regional stars and sometimes earn about as much as some mainstream pop stars through relentless live touring on a kind of 21st century chitlin' circuit, but you'd never have heard of them.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Oh I believe it. The way playing shows was explained to me was that you do a tour as the opener to make connections and then immediately do another tour of the same loop as the main act. Selling records and radio helps I'm sure, but if you're decent and the crowds dig you, I imagine you could make a decent living just touring even as a relatively unknown act.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I reckon it's a constant. I read a book about the origins of the aforementioned chitlin' circuit which explained how, all the way back in the 1920s and 1930s, bandleaders like Walter Barnes, who recorded relatively little and who a lot of swing fans probably haven't heard of, could pay the musicians in his band $60 a night playing out-of-the-way juke joints, nightclubs and theatres throughout the south, whereas Duke Ellington paid his orchestra $30 a night playing Carnegie Hall.

That sort of pop trivia really fascinates me. It's like how gospel groups in the 1940s and 1950s had these really carefully planned out touring itineraries which involved hitting each state based on when the harvests came in, because that's when prospective audiences would likely have some money to spend on a gospel programme.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Do you remember the name of that book?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, I've got it on my shelf right now. It's called The Chitlin' Circuit and the Road to Rock 'N' Roll by a guy called Preston Lauterbach.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Cool thank you!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

A game of Pop Music Would You Rather:

Would you rather:

Listen to a new John Mayer song

Listen to a Coldplay/Chainsmokers collab

Tear your ears off of your skull and eat them

Coldplay is great and that song is awesome so whatever.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't really understand the appeal of Coldplay.

They're like if you could hear the colour beige to me.

I think Chris Martin is a pretty bad singer. He sounds like he has a cold.

Did anyone see that godawful live tribute to Adam Yauch they did?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Coldplay has written some phenomenal pop songs. I wouldn't say 6 (7?) whole albums' worth, but I can certainly understand their appeal.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly it's almost as bad as Duran Duran's version of "911 Is A Joke".

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

I like that a lot actually. It's prettier than the original.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Chris Martin is a pretty bad singer. He sounds like he has a cold.
and yet he still manages to play music :downsrim:

Seriously though, this:

Sir Lemming posted:

Coldplay has written some phenomenal pop songs.
until like 10 years ago when that stopped being true.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

and yet he still manages to play music :downsrim:

Seriously though, this:
until like 10 years ago when that stopped being true.

False. Also, they are the best live show I've ever seen.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Do they do any other unexpected covers like that? I've never been much of a fan before but maybe I like them doing other people's music better than their own.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
The problem I have with the Coldplay / Chainsmokers song is that despite Coldplay allegedly contributing to the song, it still sounds exactly like Roses. The Chainsmokers make some catchy stuff for sure, but for me it has already gotten insanely repetitive. My wife and I sang a mashup of Closer, Paris, All We Know, and Don't Let Me Down together over the Paris track and it works far too well.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I saw Coldplay at our theater in LA and it was really good, they do put on a great show. Second best there next to janelle monae (who ran outside and gave my camera team fits doing a show on the sidewalk)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LionArcher posted:

False. Also, they are the best live show I've ever seen.
I imagine they would've been awesome to see on the Viva La Vida tour or any tour before that, but literally everything they've put out since then is soooooooooooooo booooooooooooring.

From what I remember, I tried listening to A Head Full Of Dreams and I couldn't even make it all the way through because I was just bored out of my loving skull. No part of it was interesting or even catchy in any way.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Coldplay are dogshit

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Linkin Park tries Pop again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7ab595h0AU

quote:

I got a long to way to go
And a long memory
I've been searching for an answer
Always just out of reach
Blood on the floor
Sirens repeat
I've been searching for the courage to face my enemies

When they turn down the lights
I hear my battle symphony
All the world in front of me
If my armour breaks
I'll fuse it back together
Battle symphony
Please just don't give up on me
And my eyes are wide awake

For my battle symphony
For my battle symphony

You say that I don't belong
You say that I should retreat
That I'm marching to the rhythm of a lonesome defeat
But the sound of your voice
Puts the pain in the reverse
No surrender, no illusions
And for better or worse

If my armour breaks
Battle symphony

If I fall, get knocked down
Pick myself up off the ground
If I fall, get knocked down
Pick myself up off the ground

If my armour breaks
Battle symphony

For my battle symphony
For my battle symphony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I mean, they've always been pop, but this is upsettingly generic pop. Certainly an odd trajectory their career has taken.