Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Get a ultrawide setup instead.-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I did the 'tabletop on two Alex cabinets' setup for my old desk and worked out alright. Had the slipping issue, the little rubber button pads I got from somewhere (the Alexes? Not sure) didn't have strong enough adhesive and slipped out, said gently caress it and just put the board flat on the Alexes and made minor adjustments every couple months to reseat it (only because it shifted like a millimeter and wasn't perfectly aligned anymore). Tiny bit of bowing on the tabletop I used, probably because it was from one of the cheaper Ikea tables and it was hollow cardboard internal construction instead of solid wood, but not obvious unless you're looking for it. You may want to get something to raise the height of the surface because the arms of the Markus chair I was using would just barely fit under the tabletop when set to the absolute lowest height.

I'd be willing to do it again, although the two things I'd pay extra attention to a second time would be to get the Alexes properly leveled and aligned (the feet are non-adjustable if I remember correctly and I was putting them on carpet, and the floor itself wasn't perfectly level), and the spacing of the Alexes (I think the tabletop I used was approx 60", so after subtracting the widths of the Alexes I had enough room to slide my chair in but not a lot to shift left/right). I like my desktops deep at 3', so a support leg or two where it hangs off the back of the Alexes wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

isndl posted:

I did the 'tabletop on two Alex cabinets' setup for my old desk and worked out alright. Had the slipping issue, the little rubber button pads I got from somewhere (the Alexes? Not sure) didn't have strong enough adhesive and slipped out, said gently caress it and just put the board flat on the Alexes and made minor adjustments every couple months to reseat it (only because it shifted like a millimeter and wasn't perfectly aligned anymore). Tiny bit of bowing on the tabletop I used, probably because it was from one of the cheaper Ikea tables and it was hollow cardboard internal construction instead of solid wood, but not obvious unless you're looking for it. You may want to get something to raise the height of the surface because the arms of the Markus chair I was using would just barely fit under the tabletop when set to the absolute lowest height.

I'd be willing to do it again, although the two things I'd pay extra attention to a second time would be to get the Alexes properly leveled and aligned (the feet are non-adjustable if I remember correctly and I was putting them on carpet, and the floor itself wasn't perfectly level), and the spacing of the Alexes (I think the tabletop I used was approx 60", so after subtracting the widths of the Alexes I had enough room to slide my chair in but not a lot to shift left/right). I like my desktops deep at 3', so a support leg or two where it hangs off the back of the Alexes wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I think I've addressed most of this in order, let me see.

Slipping: doing the non slip mats, should be great. I rent currently, so i'm heistant to bolt it down, since it'll be easier to move if not.
Bowing: Using an solid oak countertop (hammarp), so it should be fine, was gonna buy a leg to go in back center just in case
Height: I've got an Aeron B that I put bigger casters onto, so I should be okay, although I am right at the top of the Aeron's lift height limit. I'm not averse to a shorter leg solution. When i set my feet flat on the floor and my knees are at 90 degrees, there's about 3-4" of space between my legs and the desk.
Width: The HAMMARP is 98" wide, and i intend to use it fully wide, uncut. Width of a single Alex is 14-1/8", so that'll leave me with (98 -14.125-14.125) = 69.75 inches of between space, which is more than enough.

Price on this ends up being Two Alexes, an Oak Hammarp, A Signum, and a cheap leg

$363 before Tax. The oak bit will definitely be solid, and this will give me more desperatley needed storage, as well as being able to later drill a monitor arm onto it. Once finished there, i intended to do something like this, with the tile backsplash, but in a less LOLGAMER color (photo shamelessly stolen)

All of this being said, I'm open to other suggestions I might not have thought of, even if that's a radically different style. I just thought the 98" oak countertop would make for a great, solid base that would last me basically forever.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 13, 2017

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Might want to edit out your fancy durrrrgrees back there buddy

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Deviant posted:

All of this being said, I'm open to other suggestions I might not have thought of, even if that's a radically different style. I just thought the 98" oak countertop would make for a great, solid base that would last me basically forever.

Have you considered a gladiator workbench? The 8 foot bench is only $449 msrp, is height adjustable, and will hold up to any amount of abuse you can throw at it.

If I hadn't gone for a sit-stand desk, I would have gone for a gladiator.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

Might want to edit out your fancy durrrrgrees back there buddy

Not my photo. Stole it off Google. Don't care. But good of you to admit you didn't read the post.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
all of this being said

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Deviant posted:

Not my photo. Stole it off Google. Don't care. But good of you to admit you didn't read the post.

Was worried you absentmindedly doxxed yourself as soon as I saw the image. Glad to hear it was some other idiot.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

Was worried you absentmindedly doxxed yourself as soon as I saw the image. Glad to hear it was some other idiot.

Point taken. TF had me loving jumpy about shitposting in the *desk thread* of all loving places

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Weedle posted:

Obviously I spend most of my computer time not at a desk, but this is how it's set up when I am.

Brother laser thats whats up.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

TheMadMilkman posted:

If I hadn't gone for a sit-stand desk, I would have gone for a gladiator.

How's the SmartDesk working for you? Do you stand all day? Have you noticed improvements to your health? Any problems with it?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Just got the chair delivered today.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 14, 2017

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

tvgm2 posted:

How's the SmartDesk working for you? Do you stand all day? Have you noticed improvements to your health? Any problems with it?

Overall it's working out really well. I stand for at least 2 hours a day. I don't find standing all day to be particularly comfortable, but the 2 hours definitely helps my posture. I'm not slouching as much as I used to. I will say that my upper back ached for the first two weeks while I adjusted to standing so much.

The issues that I've had are minor and easily dealt with. I'm over 6'4", and the single motor desk gets just high enough for me (like it couldn't be more perfect), but the standard dell monitor stands didn't allow enough height adjustment to be comfortable -- I was stuck looking down at the monitors. I ended up with a metal monitor platform to get an extra 5" of height, which put the screen up to a comfortable height.

The desk does have some wobble at full height, which is expected. It's particularly bad if the keyboard is right at the edge of the desk. But push the keyboard in 4-5 inches and the wobble is reduced substantially.

I tried an amazon basics dual monitor arm at first. It only gave about 2" of extra height, which wasn't enough, and the screen wobbled horribly.

The only other thing to note is that cabling really needs to be thought out if you keep your pc on the floor.

While I don't think that everyone needs a standing desk, if you have back issues I would highly recommend it. After the initial adjustment time, I've had noticeably less back pain.

I would also get an ultra wide monitor instead of two screens, since readjusting the two screens to line them up perfectly gets old really quickly.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

TheMadMilkman posted:

Overall it's working out really well. I stand for at least 2 hours a day. I don't find standing all day to be particularly comfortable, but the 2 hours definitely helps my posture. I'm not slouching as much as I used to. I will say that my upper back ached for the first two weeks while I adjusted to standing so much.

The issues that I've had are minor and easily dealt with. I'm over 6'4", and the single motor desk gets just high enough for me (like it couldn't be more perfect), but the standard dell monitor stands didn't allow enough height adjustment to be comfortable -- I was stuck looking down at the monitors. I ended up with a metal monitor platform to get an extra 5" of height, which put the screen up to a comfortable height.

The desk does have some wobble at full height, which is expected. It's particularly bad if the keyboard is right at the edge of the desk. But push the keyboard in 4-5 inches and the wobble is reduced substantially.

I tried an amazon basics dual monitor arm at first. It only gave about 2" of extra height, which wasn't enough, and the screen wobbled horribly.

The only other thing to note is that cabling really needs to be thought out if you keep your pc on the floor.

While I don't think that everyone needs a standing desk, if you have back issues I would highly recommend it. After the initial adjustment time, I've had noticeably less back pain.

I would also get an ultra wide monitor instead of two screens, since readjusting the two screens to line them up perfectly gets old really quickly.

Thank you! Just ordered a 70".

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

tvgm2 posted:

I converted my existing desk with one of the Autonomous dual-motor DIY kits back in January and I basically mirror TheMadMilkman's experience.

It was mildly painful the first week or so, especially if I'd go the whole day standing, but that was only temporary. I ended up buying a thick foam floor mat to stand on as well because my feet were aching from the lovely padding under my office carpet.

The most noticeable effect so far has definitely been on my posture. I can tell I'm standing straighter all the time, both from how I feel and surprisingly how people act around me.

I also have a leg injury that requires me to stretch it regularly or else things start to tighten up and I start to lose range of motion. When I was sitting all day there were some times after a long day where I'd be hobbling around for a few minutes when I finally got up before I could actually walk normally, where standing for even an hour or two a day makes it basically pain free. I also rack up a few thousand steps a day according to my watch just fidgeting around, that's got to be good for something.

Same basic experience with wobble, if I'm standing back and typing heavily my upper monitors start to wiggle noticeably, but it's not bad unless I'm basically trying to force it. I love the dual motor base's power, even with three monitors and a heavy PC it has no trouble moving around quickly.

We'll see how reliability goes, a bit over a month is nowhere close to enough time to judge that but the warranty is five years so the company seems confident.

edit: Apparently I haven't posted any pics since getting that, I thought I had...

Seated mode

Standing mode

and yes I know I need to do something about the cable nightmare back there.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 15, 2017

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

wolrah posted:

and yes I know I need to do something about the cable nightmare back there.

I can sympathize. I have 3 monitors, 2 of which are hooked up to both a laptop and a desktop PC using a USB switch for peripherals, with the other being hooked up as a touchscreen to a 3rd PC.

I am also in the market for a height-adjustable desk and eventually a desk treadmill. Anyone have experience with Uplift or Fully height-adjustable desks? I would like to prevent the wobble, and I'm looking for a longer desk than Autonomous offers anyway.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
On the longer desk aspect, my desk is 5.5 feet long and based on the amount of cable I have wrapped up underneath between the control box and the motors the kit I used could go at least another two feet. An eight foot long desk should be entirely doable without huge overhangs.

As far as wobble goes, I think anything with a two post design is going to have some inherent wobble. Four posts would solve that pretty easily, but that increases cost and complexity. It's really not bad though, it's not like it actually shakes around during normal use, but if I bump it or my cat jumps on/off the desk it'll shake a bit.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Bleh. I went ahead and got the Fully Jarvis with a decent amount of addons. I wanted the 6 foot top with the front contour.

Should have it in a week or so I guess, will be a neat before-after set of pics.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Smiles posted:

My Bekant is pretty sturdy, I've got my case sitting on it and a monitor arm attached to it and there's no wobble, though I did hammer those plastic bolts into the inserts something fierce. Maybe use a screwdriver to pry them out and try again?

EDIT: oh no a terrible page snipe, here's an old pic of my desktop

replaced the monitor with a 144Hz Benq but it's pretty much the same

From awhile back but what case is that on the left? It looks great.

Confusion
Apr 3, 2009
Looks like an NCASE M1 to me.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Awesome, thanks!

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

signalnoise posted:

Bleh. I went ahead and got the Fully Jarvis with a decent amount of addons. I wanted the 6 foot top with the front contour.

Should have it in a week or so I guess, will be a neat before-after set of pics.

Report back on the stability (or anything else) of that desk, I've had my eye on a standing for a while and it's one of the few I was looking at.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

ILikeVoltron posted:

Report back on the stability (or anything else) of that desk, I've had my eye on a standing for a while and it's one of the few I was looking at.

Sure. loving amazing so far, they've already shipped the thing. I haven't had shipping turnaround like that ever outside of Amazon Prime.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Confusion posted:

It is the new micro hotness that can actually fit a graphics card in it and is going to be the basis of my next build when I also redo my desk to standing.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Confusion posted:

How loud is this case? It looks great but I wonder if it being that small would make it sound like a hairdryer when the system really starts running hard.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
It's not as loud as you might think. You can fit four 120mm fans in there (two on the bottom, two on the left side) and with a bit of cable and hose management two 120mm AIOs (or one 240mm). If you install a 3.5" drive or an ATX power supply you do lose out on some fan mount points though.

Wearing headphones, I can't really notice it while playing games.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

ive posted it in the SFF thread but heres what it looks like on the inside now

its not dead silent but its more of a gentle whirr than a grating shriek so i dont really mind

for even newer microer hotness theres the dancase a4 but i cant really justify getting that one so soon after building my ncase

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Smiles posted:

ive posted it in the SFF thread but heres what it looks like on the inside now

its not dead silent but its more of a gentle whirr than a grating shriek so i dont really mind

for even newer microer hotness theres the dancase a4 but i cant really justify getting that one so soon after building my ncase
What are the specs on that? Have any issues using a 2.5" spinning disk?

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

heres my specs: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/gdQ4m8

my os and programs are all on the ssd, i only keep my animes on the spinning drive (and it only spins up when i watch gundams) so it suits my needs ok

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

GreatGreen posted:

How loud is this case? It looks great but I wonder if it being that small would make it sound like a hairdryer when the system really starts running hard.

The case itself isn't loud, it's what fans you put into it that might or might not be loud. I personally went with a noctua cpu fan and one of the PSU's that doesn't require the fan be on. Overall I'm ok with the volume but the entire case is porous so you're going to get sound leakage all over.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Oh word? The case itself doesn't make noise? Cancelling my order then.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
What's the best multimonitor manager for Windows 7? I just want different wallpapers on each of my three monitors. It doesn't even need to support spanning.

Light and simple is what I'm looking for.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ziploc posted:

What's the best multimonitor manager for Windows 7? I just want different wallpapers on each of my three monitors. It doesn't even need to support spanning.

http://dualmonitortool.sourceforge.net/dualwallpaper.html

I know it's called 'dual', but it works on n monitors according to it.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
It's hacky but you could try stitching together a wide image out of separate pictures and using that. Are you arranging them as one large desktop via eyefinity or something?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Elsa posted:

It's hacky but you could try stitching together a wide image out of separate pictures and using that. Are you arranging them as one large desktop via eyefinity or something?

They're all managed by windows. One on the Sandy Bridge iGPU, and two on a 560ti.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I forgot that I want them to cycle.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ziploc posted:

I forgot that I want them to cycle.

http://dualmonitortool.sourceforge.net/dmt_wallpaperchanger.html

:v:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Nice suggestion. Thanks!

This also looks promising.

http://windowbox.me/multiwall/news.php

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Ziploc posted:

i'm just going to say it

just upgrade to windows 10 already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Photex posted:

i'm just going to say it

just upgrade to windows 10 already.

Just for a wallpaper feature? Mhmm, great justification