Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
eat some more ramen and don't buy a few extra DLCs and then get a real chair jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

what is ur chair sens at

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Thinking of selling my Aeron because I don't love the hard plastic front edge.

DXRacer and Maxnomic are universally poo poo, yeah? They're just that vinyl that peels after 2-3 years like every other cheap chair?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Futaba Anzu posted:

what is ur chair sens at

800 psi

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Just bought this on sale, use coupon 73438964 for $25 off to bring it under $150

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/277968/WorkPro-Maverick-Multifunction-High-Back-Fabric/

It's kind of a gamble since they didn't have one in store to sit in, but it's relatively cheap and has a 10 year warranty so :rolldice:

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

CloFan posted:

Just bought this on sale, use coupon 73438964 for $25 off to bring it under $150

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/277968/WorkPro-Maverick-Multifunction-High-Back-Fabric/

It's kind of a gamble since they didn't have one in store to sit in, but it's relatively cheap and has a 10 year warranty so :rolldice:

"limited" warranty. That thing will only last a year or two.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pretty standard-looking seat and back bolted to an off-the-shelf pressed steel base. I think you paid about what those things are worth.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Maybe so. The last chair I bought 7 years ago was a Best Buy $180 generic office chair with only a tilt lock and height adjustment, so being able to adjust back height and seat depth should be nice. I'm just hoping it has decent lumber support, if not it's going back immediately

CloFan fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 18, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone know anything about Lazy boy office chairs?

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

Flying Spaghetti posted:

My wife use to work from home. In a chair, 8 hours a day, in a carpeted office. We went through a lot of chair mats, never found a great solution. The plastic ones, no matter how thick, eventually became brittle and cracked. The chair wheels will rub a fine dust of plastic off the mat that gets in the carpet around the edges of the mat. This dust seemed to permanently discolor the carpet and could not be vacuumed or cleaned out. In general the mat will protect the carpet under it but the carpet around it will still wear normally. When you go to move the mat, you now have this square of perfect carpet that really stands out and looks bad. The longest lasting solution we found was a bamboo mat. It held up much longer than the plastic ones and didn't leave the plastic dust in the carpet. Personally though, I hate all mats, and will be putting solid flooring in all future office spaces.

Bamboo mat example:
https://www.amazon.com/Anji-Mountai...amboo+chair+mat

sorry for the ancient quote, but as this is probably still a problem for some people who want lower rolling resistances, a buddy of mine made himself a oversized mat out of a slab of MDF. Routed the edges so it was toe friendly and it seems to be pretty solid. You could probably do the same thing with any number of construction materials used in flooring.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I work from home two days a week, with 1-2 hour gaming sessions on not-those-days. My work chair is fine but I've been getting back pain at home. Blaming the crappy office depot chair seems easy enough.

How are those kneeling chairs? example. I used one as a kid and loved it, but in retrospect I probably could have been sitting on a concrete brick and been okay.

Alternatively, how is the Steelcase Drive? A local office supply wholesaler has a used one for $100 (is that a good price?) They have Leaps and Aerons, but since I'm not spending 40 hours a week in this chair I'm a little hesitant to spend more than a couple hundred.

EDIT: I haven't heard of Haworth. https://stlouis.craigslist.org/fuo/6013701803.html

Boxman fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 27, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sounds like your local place wants a bit too much cash for their chairs if a pretty bog-standard and ancient chair is going for $100. Keep looking around.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

As far as kneeling chairs go, I'm sure they work for some people but I always developed soreness in my shins, regardless of the adjustment angle. Other than that it was fine, but they're not something that I would recommend to everyone.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Haworth is good stuff, we had Haworth Zody chairs at my last job and they were comfortable and sturdy. I don't know anything about that model specifically, but I liked the Zody.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
The used market around me for good chairs suuuuccckkkks as other people have also mentioned in their areas. Our used office furniture stores have total junk when it comes to chairs. I've been waiting to pick up a chair for about 4.5 years now, and I'm finally in a position to maybe buy new. I'm going to swing by our local dealer to check out some chairs Friday.

I'm sitting well over 40 hours a week in my desk chair right now, so I need something that is going to help my back.

With that in mind, is the Embody the way to go? Which fabric is the best? Are the translucent casters worth the $40 more (what are they for)? How does it measure up to the new model Aeron?

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 8, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

The used market around me for good chairs suuuuccckkkks as other people have also mentioned in their areas. Our used office furniture stores have total junk when it comes to chairs. I've been waiting to pick up a chair for about 4.5 years now, and I'm finally in a position to maybe buy new. I'm going to swing by our local dealer to check out some chairs Friday.

I'm sitting well over 40 hours a week in my desk chair right now, so I need something that is going to help my back.

With that in mind, is the Embody the way to go? Which fabric is the best? Are the translucent casters worth the $40 more (what are they for)? How does it measure up to the new model Aeron?

Sit in different chairs, for some people the Embody is going to be great, for others it will be terrible.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Sit in different chairs, for some people the Embody is going to be great, for others it will be terrible.

Yeah I've done that before, but I'll only have a brief time to evaluate (30 minutes maybe). I'm trying to figure out which ones to specifically focus on.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
I don't know, when I was doing research on chairs I do not recall anyone ever complaining about the Embody other than the price. The balance fabric is definitely softer compared to the rhythm, no idea about the mercer. I think the translucent coasters are just aesthetics?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Yeah I've done that before, but I'll only have a brief time to evaluate (30 minutes maybe). I'm trying to figure out which ones to specifically focus on.

It's going to be difficult for you to know for sure, but I believe the good HM chairs have a satisfaction guaranteed sort of warranty where you can return it if you don't like it. That's what helped me drop $1300 on one.

http://store.hermanmiller.com/Returns-And-Exchanges

Also, as an owner of the embody I really think it's one of the best chairs I've ever owned.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Yeah the Embody reviews just seem so solid everywhere. I'm just now finding out about the Gesture from Steelcase from this thread. I only read right when it just came out; is this comparable to the Embody? I loved the Leap V2, but the Embody is just so sexy and from pictures at least it looks sturdier than the Leap even if that's not true.

I set an appointment for Friday to go check out the Herman Miller distributor here in town. I'll be trying the Mirra 2, the updated Aeron, and the Embody. I'll write up a trip report if there's anything interesting to share. They said they'd work with me on price, so maybe they can take it down a bit. I feel a little irresponsible considering a $1,200 chair, but it is a business write off or a home office write off since I work remotely... I may go with an alternative just because of that price point though (among other things like if I don't like how it feels).

I'll ask them about returns if I don't love the chair, good advice.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Yeah the Embody reviews just seem so solid everywhere. I'm just now finding out about the Gesture from Steelcase from this thread. I only read right when it just came out; is this comparable to the Embody? I loved the Leap V2, but the Embody is just so sexy and from pictures at least it looks sturdier than the Leap even if that's not true.

I set an appointment for Friday to go check out the Herman Miller distributor here in town. I'll be trying the Mirra 2, the updated Aeron, and the Embody. I'll write up a trip report if there's anything interesting to share. They said they'd work with me on price, so maybe they can take it down a bit. I feel a little irresponsible considering a $1,200 chair, but it is a business write off or a home office write off since I work remotely... I may go with an alternative just because of that price point though (among other things like if I don't like how it feels).

I'll ask them about returns if I don't love the chair, good advice.

I bought a Leap V2 new, I figured that at the rate I had to replace chairs it ends up costing the same as cheaper chairs over the life of the warranty on the Leap so it's worth it to have a much better chair the whole time and get rid of the back pain I was getting from sitting in a lovely chair all day. Also the medical bills from dealing with the sort of long term problems you can get from sitting in a bad chair are far higher than what a good chair costs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You get a 12-year warranty, so even if it breaks right as the warranty expires, $100 a year for something that is designed to not destroy your back seems like a bargain.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Yeah good point on the back re: medical bills. I'm a little more sold now, because holy poo poo going from the ergo chairs to my busted chair with a piece of metal digging into my skin (lol) is a tough transition.

I got quoted $935/$917 on the Gesture (depending on the back style)
$835 on the Leap V2

Just an FYI for anyone else in the market - tell them you own a small business for better pricing. They don't require proof AFAIK.

I tried the Mirra 2, new Aeron, and the Embody. I actually liked the Mirra 2 better than the Aeron for everything but the lumbar support.

Embody. Jesus gently caress no wonder everyone rants and raves about this chair... my back already feels better, and I can actively feel it getting a little worse sitting in this broken thing I'm currently in.

It'll come down to price at this point. I'm waiting to see what HM quotes me for the Embody (with the small business discount as well) They're all amazing, though the Steelcase dealers were way less knowledgeable than HM, where the Herman Miller lady got me perfectly adjusted on each chair.

Thanks for the help.

e: for more info for anyone else wondering I was told that the balance/rhythm fabric comes down mostly to looks. They have the same wear rate. The Mercer fabric has double the wear tolerance of Rhythm/Balance, but it's also super gritty feeling.

e2: went with the Embody. I bought on Amazon from OfficeDesigns to avoid the 4-6 week ship time from the local dealer (since my chair is broken).

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 10, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

AFAIK the Mirra (and Mirra 2) are many years newer than the Aeron and lots of people find them to be better. I think HM keeps the Aeron around mainly due to momentum, or furnishing TV sets with.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Thanks Ants posted:

AFAIK the Mirra (and Mirra 2) are many years newer than the Aeron and lots of people find them to be better. I think HM keeps the Aeron around mainly due to momentum, or furnishing TV sets with.

Please don't ever buy an Aeron

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

ILikeVoltron posted:

Please don't ever buy an Aeron

Please explain

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

qsvui posted:

Please explain

The design is ancient, it's not for sitting in all day, it was originally a task chair. The loving thing gave me sciatic nerve damage. So yea, gently caress the Aeron. Read the Ergonomics section on the wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeron_chair

There's like a million reasons why this chair is horrible but people have it in their head it's the "high end chair for all things sitting!!!!!1"

Read, it's not.

Edit: Also, read this thread, many other people share this opinion but you might have to go back 20 pages or so.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Local dealer got back to me (72 hours late) the small business pricing for the following chairs:

Embody: $846
Mirra 2: $740
Aeron (revamped): $970

So the Embody is about $400 cheaper through a dealer. That's the Embody with the white base also, so it may be a bit cheaper with the graphite base.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Local dealer got back to me (72 hours late) the small business pricing for the following chairs:

Embody: $846
Mirra 2: $740
Aeron (revamped): $970

So the Embody is about $400 cheaper through a dealer. That's the Embody with the white base also, so it may be a bit cheaper with the graphite base.

You might want to check to see if this business is a certified dealer where the manufacturer will honor the warranty. If you even care about that.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ILikeVoltron posted:

The design is ancient, it's not for sitting in all day, it was originally a task chair. The loving thing gave me sciatic nerve damage. So yea, gently caress the Aeron. Read the Ergonomics section on the wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeron_chair

There's like a million reasons why this chair is horrible but people have it in their head it's the "high end chair for all things sitting!!!!!1"

Read, it's not.

Edit: Also, read this thread, many other people share this opinion but you might have to go back 20 pages or so.

I'd like to not use my Aeron, but it's comfortable in warm settings on account of the seat and back being mesh.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Etrips posted:

You might want to check to see if this business is a certified dealer where the manufacturer will honor the warranty. If you even care about that.

Yeah they're a certified dealer. I found them from Herman Miller's website.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'd like to not use my Aeron, but it's comfortable in warm settings on account of the seat and back being mesh.

mesh backs are fine but mesh seats apparently cool less efficiently than more conventional seat materials

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mesh seats are good for letting farts waft through

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

Mesh seats are good for letting farts waft through

Thanks Ants

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

ILikeVoltron posted:

Read, it's not.

Could you elaborate on that a bit? Just from wikipedia, it sounds like if it a) goes higher, a la type C and b) you sit 'perched' on the front portion, then that's basically ok. Is it more of an issue if you like, sit/lean back in it?

Basically, I got a type C (admittedly a lot of list price) so I'm kind of committed to using it atm, but also don't want to gently caress up my sciatic nerve...

e: Ok, having read the linked article, it kind of sounds like the answer is either a) use a high stool or b) don't sit at all... well poo poo.

foutre fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 14, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Avoiding chairs with headrests because it will weaken your neck muscles is such a ridiculous critique compared to ending up hunched forward because you spend 8 hours+ at the computer each day.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Josh Lyman posted:

Avoiding chairs with headrests because it will weaken your neck muscles is such a ridiculous critique compared to ending up hunched forward because you spend 8 hours+ at the computer each day.

Why not go for the full mile and just get a LAZYBOY.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

wormil posted:

Anyone know anything about Lazy boy office chairs?

Etrips posted:

Lazyboy actually makes office chairs.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Lazyboy is for dumbs, get yourself an ekornes. http://www.ekornes.com/us/stressless-office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Etrips posted:

My old bachelor setup was like this.