Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I still have to check out DS2 but I was bummed out by the first game because it really suffered from trying to do a little bit of everything, but none of it stood out as particularly great to me. It's the sort of series I'd love to see come back just to see it get further polishing. And to, y'know, do something with that badass cliffhanger. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In Nier automata if you rub the touch pad you'll pet your little robot buddy. As far as I know this has no purpose other than him saying "affection is prohibited, but appreciated.."

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

FauxGateau posted:

In Nier automata if you rub the touch pad you'll pet your little robot buddy. As far as I know this has no purpose other than him saying "affection is prohibited, but appreciated.."

I always pet him after I'm done fishing, he does a good job.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
This borders on outside of game since it's not on the screen (PS4 controller lighting effects have been discussed ITT so I'm gonna pitch this one). Thing is you've gotta be playing on a Razer Chroma enabled keyboard to see it. Chroma is a feature of some of Razer's keyboard/mouse/gamepad/mousepad/drink coaster products built with customizable lighting effects and supporting software for each keyboard key/light element. Its cool and i use my keyboard as a visualizer for music/movies if I feel like it.

A list of games includes Shadow Warrior 2 that have a custom lighting profile for the keyboard that's automatically set when playing the game. It does different lighting effects when playing game or on menus. The main use of this in SW2 is to light up F(number) keys Green representing Health and number pad Blue for Mana. It's quick and gives live stats at a glance that carry over to the pause menu.

Here's my keyboard paused at 100HP(full)/77MP displaying each stat top Green and on the right Blue

This is the 'loading menu is done. "Press any key to continue"' static lighting:

It might be hard to read. I'm not a photographer just a phone poster. The lit up keys are W A N G. I thought it was hosed up at first until I looked at all of the letters. The little little thing I like here is that Wang put WANG on keyboard while I'm not playing game.

Lastly the game has really relaxing menu music that might have looped a bunch while I was making this post but I don't mind because it's just that inoffensive.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Enter the Wang

ENTER

Jobbo_Fett has a new favorite as of 11:06 on Mar 15, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Enter the Wang

ENTER
Sir, are you implying that The Wang is "little"?

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
The Division also had a great keyboard effect like that where, if you got set on fire, your keyboard lighting would change to faux-flames.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Universe at War: Earth Assault is an RTS where Earth ends up a battleground for three separate alien races and humanity is quickly defeated and knocked out of the picture. One of the alien races is actively hostile to humanity, one just doesn't care about humans, and one genuinely tries to protect the humans. Most maps are littered with human towns and cities, and there's some fun interactions with them. The Hierarchy can just eat human civilians for a tiny amount of resources, or turn them into zombies. Humans just run away from the Novus, and the mechanical Novus are just there to eat buildings and vehicles. But the humans don't run away from the benevolent Masari, who are the only race that doesn't need to actively seek out and destroy human settlements for resources.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nordick posted:

Sir, are you implying that The Wang is "little"?

Well, its not SHIFT Wang, nor CAPS LOCK Wang :colbert:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I like when FPSes have the edge grab function so that if you don't perfectly make your jump your character will grab hold and pull themselves up. New Doom had it and it was great.

On that topic, Turok 2 Remastered has been released. Night Dive added a whole bunch of great little features to improve the playability of the first Turok remaster, and did so with Seeds of Evil as well. One in particular: Joshua Fireseed now grabs edges and pulls himself up if you don't get a jump perfect. One of many things that is making this remaster just a blast to go through.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Really, VR needs a few basic movement things in a commonly accepted API/design sheet. There's some little things like edge grabbing that just need to be in every game.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Blind Sally posted:

I like when FPSes have the edge grab function so that if you don't perfectly make your jump your character will grab hold and pull themselves up. New Doom had it and it was great.

On that topic, Turok 2 Remastered has been released. Night Dive added a whole bunch of great little features to improve the playability of the first Turok remaster, and did so with Seeds of Evil as well. One in particular: Joshua Fireseed now grabs edges and pulls himself up if you don't get a jump perfect. One of many things that is making this remaster just a blast to go through.

They added a lot of little things that make that much better overall. Like fast travel from the save points. It's also neat that they i guess tracked down all the original voice actors? Because if you turn on cheats Adon now will have some comments to make when you turn them on and off.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Fast travel has been a godsend. It's made Lair of the Blind Ones so much more manageable. Also, I forgot how messed up the Cerebral Bore is. If a group of Raptoids come rushing at me and I tag one of them with it, the rest start panicking and run away while their buddy's brain matter flies at them.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The Cerebral Bore is definitely up there with the Super Shotgun or the Bioshock 2 Speargun for the most richly satisfying guns in FPS.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

I know it's some sort of drill device but every time I hear that name I imagine a space marine running around brandishing a volume of Hegel at confused dinosaurs

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RyokoTK posted:

The Cerebral Bore is definitely up there with the Super Shotgun or the Bioshock 2 Speargun for the most richly satisfying guns in FPS.

FO3 Railway Rifle

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Action Tortoise posted:

FO3 Railway Rifle

Not an FPS, but the RYNO V from Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time remains one of my favourite weapons in gaming.

In universe, the RYNO V (or Rip Ya a New One) is the latest in a series of BFGs that range from rocket machine guns to insta-kill lasers. The best way to describe the RYNO V is shoulder-mounted rocket minigun. It can destroy the toughest bosses in the game without even using all of its ammo, which ranges in the thousands.

And, most importantly, it plays the 1812 Overture while you hold the trigger. :allears:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
So many guns in Turok 2 are that level of satisfying. The Shredder shotgun with explosive shells, for example. The Plasma Rifle. The Tek Bow and Tek Arrows. I can't remember if these guns always felt this good or if this is more of Night Dive studio's magic at work.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Blind Sally posted:

So many guns in Turok 2 are that level of satisfying. The Shredder shotgun with explosive shells, for example. The Plasma Rifle. The Tek Bow and Tek Arrows. I can't remember if these guns always felt this good or if this is more of Night Dive studio's magic at work.

Probably a bit of both. Turok 2 is probably the N64 shooter that stands out in my mind most of all because of how cool the guns were. The bore is still one of my favorite FPS weapons and I might have to buy the remake soon to play with it again.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jetamo posted:

And, most importantly, it plays the 1812 Overture while you hold the trigger. :allears:

Die Hard: Vendetta was a pretty crummy console FPS from 2002 but the one thing it did so, so right is that whenever you entered its version of Max Payne's bullet time it would play Beethoven's Ode to Joy :krad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SItneaCQEKs

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It's 25% off on Steam right now and if you have the Turok: Dinosaur Hunter remaster in your Steam library, you get another 25% coupon--so you can get the game for half price!

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
Just picked it up and it has unimaginable stutter. Checking the support form it seems anyone with any sort of AMD card is mostly being hit by this one, in their stickied topic of "poo poo we are looking into" AMD compatibility is one of their listed issues.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Not all AMD cards are affected. I have a Radeon card and it's been working great. Reading the discussion topics, though, I feel like a dodged a bit of a bullet. They have some work-arounds for some issues, but I didn't see one for stutter yet.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

Not all AMD cards are affected. I have a Radeon card and it's been working great. Reading the discussion topics, though, I feel like a dodged a bit of a bullet. They have some work-arounds for some issues, but I didn't see one for stutter yet.

Out of morbid curiosity what are you running?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

Die Hard: Vendetta was a pretty crummy console FPS from 2002 but the one thing it did so, so right is that whenever you entered its version of Max Payne's bullet time it would play Beethoven's Ode to Joy :krad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SItneaCQEKs

That and John McClane is left handed in the game.

Edit: Oh, poo poo I was thinking of a different Die Hard game.

MrJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:53 on Mar 18, 2017

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Feonir posted:

Out of morbid curiosity what are you running?

It's a Radeon HD8200M series. Built into a laptop.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Not sure if it can be really classed as a "game" but it is a test of some skills that does have a failure state (messing up and having to erase and start again) so I'll count it here: I've been doing a lot of Logic Puzzles lately, mainly Hanjie (Picross) Books and the Grids where you tick/cross what some people did/didn't do in a situation (4 names, 4 objects, 4 locations, given these clues can you figure out who used which object in which place). Something I really like is the feeling when the logic clicks after not being able to see the next step, then everything falls into place. In a Killer Sudoku book in particular (normal rules apply, but also numbers within an outline have to add up to the number given) I've been stuck on a particular mid-book puzzle for a few days after the initial stages, but it just "clicked" and the puzzle is now complete. That's a really satisfying feeling. :allears:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
The password side quest in Yakuza 0 is both clever in execution and has a stupidly amusing ending.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Getting back into DS3 for the next dlc.

http://i.imgur.com/NSpU1yf.gifv

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Blind Sally posted:

It's 25% off on Steam right now and if you have the Turok: Dinosaur Hunter remaster in your Steam library, you get another 25% coupon--so you can get the game for half price!

Petty but still annoying - the coupon applies to the sale price, so it's actually a little more than half price. I'm not sure if the similar GOG deal avoided that or not.

Not that it matters too much for me. Even after fiddling with the settings, Turok 1 was triggering my motion sickness but good. :(

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I don't know if this is a Wii U thing or just Breath of the Wild, but in that game you can plug your headphones into the gamepad and get the full game audio that way, even if you're playing on the TV. This is great for me because I have fancy Sennheiser headphones and my TV's speakers are tinny and lame.

Also, if you max out your bond with a horse, there's an NPC that will allow you to style its mane. You can braid wildflowers into it. :3:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

In Nier Automata at the beginning of the game, when you are configuring your settings, you are told its being recorded for prosperity. In the new game+, the recording is played back to you.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

IShallRiseAgain posted:

In Nier Automata at the beginning of the game, when you are configuring your settings, you are told its being recorded for prosperity. In the new game+, the recording is played back to you.

My favorite thing about Automata so far is the dumbest. If you run full tilt into a bush, your character will stumble and flail around.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Nuebot posted:

My favorite thing about Automata so far is the dumbest. If you run full tilt into a bush, your character will stumble and flail around.

It was pretty funny the first thing it happened, but after the millionth time it's killed your momentum you want to go scorched Earth

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Dr Snofeld posted:

I don't know if this is a Wii U thing or just Breath of the Wild, but in that game you can plug your headphones into the gamepad and get the full game audio that way, even if you're playing on the TV. This is great for me because I have fancy Sennheiser headphones and my TV's speakers are tinny and lame.

The PS4 does the same thing and it's the best. The walls here are lovely and thin, so it's awesome to be able to play a game or watch a movie in the middle of the night and actually be able to hear it.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Xbox does the same and I think its probably one the greatest new standards for controllers in recent history.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Switch does not do this, per se, but you can just undock it and play it on your couch with your headphones plugged in to the unit.

See: My many sleepless nights and strong desire to not wake up my girlfriend.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Dr Snofeld posted:

Also, if you max out your bond with a horse, there's an NPC that will allow you to style its mane. You can braid wildflowers into it. :3:

I just noticed this post, for some incredibly stupid reason being able to use is the headphones with the tablet is on a per game basis. Which means that for some games, you can't use headphones at all.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This could be seen as a complaint but it always amuses me when in open world games you go gently caress around before doing the main quest. In Horizon Zero Dawn I put off the main quest for a long rear end time and now I have the top tier weapons of every category, all bandit camps cleared, all but one corrupted zone/cup/vantage point to get, and am level 48 going into a quest set for level 14. The mysterious voice that's helping Aloy put a "powerful weapon" in a box near my destination. I get there and it's a poo poo green tier weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Len posted:

This could be seen as a complaint but it always amuses me when in open world games you go gently caress around before doing the main quest. In Horizon Zero Dawn I put off the main quest for a long rear end time and now I have the top tier weapons of every category, all bandit camps cleared, all but one corrupted zone/cup/vantage point to get, and am level 48 going into a quest set for level 14. The mysterious voice that's helping Aloy put a "powerful weapon" in a box near my destination. I get there and it's a poo poo green tier weapon.

That's always funny and I love it when games don't account for people minmaxing side poo poo to do that and play the story up to be life or death when you've got god tier sets.