Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just got mine in the mail today. There's a bubble envelope around a clear plastic envelope. In that there's a paper envelope with a warning sticker over the flap, so you pretty much have to see the warning before you even open it. Here's the text, underlined stuff is in red.

quote:

To be read IN ITS ENTIRETY before opening. Actions have
consequences!
N.T.A.E. may contain subversive elements that
produce feelings of euphoria and may be harmful and unsettling
to the consumer. Likewise, this physical package may lead to
unrealized expectations or unexpected results upon opening.
Caution should be exercised with both. AND THIS IS IMPORTANT...
This will make a mess.
By opening this envelope in any way, you
assume all risks to your person and/or property, and waive any
claim against The Null Corporation, any of its subsidiaries or
affiliated entities from any and all damages or harm you may
incur.

I've not yet opened it yet, since I'm working. But I'm sure there's an Imgur album somewhere that shows what's in it.

EDIT: Here's one.
http://imgur.com/gallery/WCkDO

IUG fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I just opened my NTAE envelope.

I'm pretty okay with Trent trolling the absolute poo poo out of me.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Need a hotel soon?

https://twitter.com/pitchfork/status/839319700735672320

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Does this pretty much confirm the rumor that someone in massive attack is actually banksy?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Photex posted:

Does this pretty much confirm the rumor that someone in massive attack is actually banksy?

Banksy is not one person

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Photex posted:

why, because one of the artists involved is 3D? might as well say this suggests that banksy is Hans Zimmer or Flea for that matter

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I can go with that theory.

Year Zero has aged better than I expected when I first listened to it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ZearothK posted:

I can go with that theory.

Year Zero has aged better than I expected when I first listened to it.

You have Trump and Obama to thank for that!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's kind of darkly funny to go back and listen to all the bands that thought Bush II merited dystopia concept albums.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Entropic posted:

It's kind of darkly funny to go back and listen to all the bands that thought Bush II merited dystopia concept albums.

It did merit that.

The really funny part was watching all of those people blissfully go back to sleep for 8 years during Obama's administration, which continued most of Bush's policies.

(that and I was live at the first show where Trent played The Hand That Feeds with an image of Bush morphing into McCain. now bush is dancing with ellen and mccain's here to save us from the russians. lol)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 12, 2017

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Call Me Charlie posted:

It did merit that.

The really funny part was watching all of those people blissfully go back to sleep for 8 years during Obama's administration, which continued most of Bush's policies.

(that and I was live at the first show where Trent played The Hand That Feeds with an image of Bush morphing into McCain. now bush is dancing with ellen and mccain's here to save us from the russians. lol)

The biggest problem comes from believing celebrities have some sort of political insight the rest lack.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I kind of dismissed the With_Teeth era singles and remixes because I was way more into the post-Fragile and Year Zero material in the 00s, but I recently started going back through some old B-sides, and drat the El-P remix of Only is loving great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bonk posted:

I kind of dismissed the With_Teeth era singles and remixes because I was way more into the post-Fragile and Year Zero material in the 00s, but I recently started going back through some old B-sides, and drat the El-P remix of Only is loving great.
This loving rules. I'm a huge Run The Jewels fan and actually just saw them live for the 3rd time last night, and I've always loved Flyentology, but I don't think I've ever heard this one before. It almost feels like it comes closer to achieving Trent's general aesthetic than the original does.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

It did merit that.

Pft, McCain ain't done poo poo besides cover his rear end for when things inevitably hit the fan for the current administration. He's as complicit as anyone else in his garbage party, gently caress him. :toughguy:

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
After giving the new EP some time, I still don't think it's that good. Probably my least favorite NIN release.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Leon Einstein posted:

After giving the new EP some time, I still don't think it's that good. Probably my least favorite NIN release.
I completely forgot that it existed. The last track is worth it for the novelty but I agree, it's not very good or memorable. It did cause me to listen to Hesitation Marks again which is better than I remembered (and much better than the EP), but it has the same problem that there's not a lot of stuff that sticks with you.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

david_a posted:

I completely forgot that it existed. The last track is worth it for the novelty but I agree, it's not very good or memorable. It did cause me to listen to Hesitation Marks again which is better than I remembered (and much better than the EP), but it has the same problem that there's not a lot of stuff that sticks with you.
I think HM is really good actually. I just can't get into this. I really love HTDA as well. I pretty much love everything he touches, but this is just not my cup of tea. I wonder if he rushed it to keep his promise of new NIN in 2016?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I like HM's music, but that's about it. Trent's never been an amazing lyricist, but HM's lyrics are particularly egregious, and lazier than they've ever been.

"What rhymes with 'hey'? OK, day, way, say..."
"What rhymes with 'done'? Fun, one, begun..."

It's the Dr. Seuss of NIN albums.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

In terms of lyrical quality I can't tell the difference between anything from the past 12 years. And before that it wasn't so much the lyrics themselves but their arrangement that was better

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

TRez lyrics have been bad from the beginning. It's just that sometimes they aren't as bad.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bonk posted:

I like HM's music, but that's about it. Trent's never been an amazing lyricist, but HM's lyrics are particularly egregious, and lazier than they've ever been.

"What rhymes with 'hey'? OK, day, way, say..."
"What rhymes with 'done'? Fun, one, begun..."

It's the Dr. Seuss of NIN albums.

How soon you forget "Where Is Everybody?"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I GOT MY ARMS A FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP FLIP

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I still have the album labeled as [AWITHA_TEETHA] in iTunes.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

How could you turn me into this
After you just taught me how to kiss
You

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Even when I was 16 I knew the lyrics to Down in It were kinda dumb

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Vince MechMahon posted:

You
That will always be his worst lyric. Always.

There was some cover of that song where they replaced the second line with "I'm gonna have to give this line a miss"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

david_a posted:

That will always be his worst lyric. Always.

Kelp Me! posted:

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Kelp Me! posted:

For the millionth time, that was a Pere Ubu homage.

Pretty Hate Machine owns, even if the lyrics are laughable.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Leon Einstein posted:

For the millionth time, that was a Pere Ubu homage.

Pretty Hate Machine owns, even if the lyrics are laughable.

Source?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

https://genius.com/Pere-ubu-navvy-lyrics

They're from Cleveland too so it's not a stretch that Trent was listening to them growing up.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

You

One cover version of it changed it to 'How could you turn me into this/I'm gonna have to give this next line a miss' or something like that. :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

They're from Cleveland too so it's not a stretch that Trent was listening to them growing up.

Makes sense, thanks!

I like the live version of Closer because you would be amazed how many people never realized there's a whispered verse during the bridge, and it's much more pronounced live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd5TBCu9hgM&t=155s

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Asnorban posted:

TRez lyrics have been bad from the beginning. It's just that sometimes they aren't as bad.

I mean yeah, obviously, but there's a difference between trite and lazy.

I actually do like a lot of the lyrics on Broken and Year Zero though - he writes better when he's angry.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Kelp Me! posted:

Makes sense, thanks!

I like the live version of Closer because you would be amazed how many people never realized there's a whispered verse during the bridge, and it's much more pronounced live:

Maybe I'm biased having listened to that album a million times on headphones as a teen, but how do you not hear that on the album version?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
A billion times at karaoke I see girls go clueless because they don't know that part.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Entropic posted:

Maybe I'm biased having listened to that album a million times on headphones as a teen, but how do you not hear that on the album version?

Honestly? I got into NIN really late (With Teeth/YZ era) and had heard Closer so many times on the radio or MTV or whatever when I wasn't that into them that I never really paid attention to it. I knew there was something being said but I never heard it clearly, so it almost seemed like a new part of the song on the live version.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BANME.sh posted:

Woah. The line sounds way less groanworthy in that song.

That's pretty cool seeing where Trent got some influence from. I don't think I'd ever even heard the name Pere Ubu before this.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Kelp Me! posted:

Makes sense, thanks!

I really dig that live bassline coming in at the end of that verse :discourse:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Samopsa posted:

I really dig that live bassline coming in at the end of that verse :discourse:

TBH that live album/DVD (Another Version of the Truth: The Gift) is one of my absolute favorite NIN recordings. I've always respected how NIN was 99.9% Trent for the longest time, but I really love the sound that comes out of a live band. That live recording breathes awesome new life into already great songs and it loving rules. It doesn't hurt that the light show on that tour was absolutely insane.

loving Justin Meldal-Johnsen, his bass tone is so sick :kimchi: that whole lineup for this tour was stacked as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNXHR_Pe5JI

e: also the entire concert is free in HD, it's an absolute must-watch:
http://toiou.org/downloads/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Kelp Me! posted:

TBH that live album/DVD (Another Version of the Truth: The Gift) is one of my absolute favorite NIN recordings. I've always respected how NIN was 99.9% Trent for the longest time, but I really love the sound that comes out of a live band. That live recording breathes awesome new life into already great songs and it loving rules. It doesn't hurt that the light show on that tour was absolutely insane.

loving Justin Meldal-Johnsen, his bass tone is so sick :kimchi: that whole lineup for this tour was stacked as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNXHR_Pe5JI

e: also the entire concert is free in HD, it's an absolute must-watch:
http://toiou.org/downloads/

agreed, I listened to that live album an amazing number of times. Josh, Justin, Robin, Allesandro... amazing band.

I also like the line-up with Ilian Rubin as the drummer, like this version of Last (one of my favourite NIN jams anyway) :monocle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL7iGw5nm1k

e: this is also loving amazing, can't believe that tour is 8 years old already
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02tL7YymAmc