Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Policenaut posted:

Revelations 1 is coming to PS4/Xbox One. Retail and digital release this Fall.

I was. gently caress yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Leon should really use his powers of flight more often.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

jet skis can't go very far and he was heading into the open ocean. Assuming they were rescued by helicopter the jet ski was abandoned and wrecked

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
He reached the island via motorboat on the same night after spending a large chunk of time in the Village and Salazar's Discount Theme Park, so it probably wasn't far from the coast.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Steroids are the only healing item in RE7 's Adventures of Skinny Redfield DLC.

We can only hope that he gets progressively larger throughout the mission before culminating in a final grudge match against RE5's long thought-defeated mastermind...

the BOULDER

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would love a coop game of Leon and Chris where theyre hunted by the vehicles Leon has destroyed and Chris dead comrades before a final battle against the Boulder and Jetski.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Barudak posted:

I would love a coop game of Leon and Chris where theyre hunted by the vehicles Leon has destroyed and Chris dead comrades before a final battle against the Boulder and Jetski.

The Sorrow developed a sense of humour after Operation Snake Eater

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

I was. gently caress yes.

If they like double or triple the raid mode xp gain I might be kinda excited about this.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Hopefully they just give dodging a straight up button like they did in Rev 2, poo poo was annoying to do intentionally in 1.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I forgot about the terrible dodge combo poo poo.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Much like RE3 I'm pretty sure the only time I ever used the dodge in Rev1, besides the forced tutorial, was completely by accident.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Kibayasu posted:

Much like RE3 I'm pretty sure the only time I ever used the dodge in Rev1, besides the forced tutorial, was completely by accident.
I keep forgetting it's even a thing in either game. Back whenever I tried using it in RE3 it only ever sent me into the path of another enemy anyway, so gently caress it all. Just let me press a goddamn button & direction combo to avoid oncoming attacks.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think RE6 and Rev 2 were the only ones where the dodging ever felt natural to me. In Rev 1 and RE3 it felt like I was just stumbling around.

On a related note the guarding in RE7 never felt psychologically right to me, though mechanically it seemed functional.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I totally forgot about guarding in 7 mainly because my brain was going 'there's no way he could block that with his arm anyway'.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Raxivace posted:

On a related note the guarding in RE7 never felt psychologically right to me, though mechanically it seemed functional.

Sakurazuka posted:

I totally forgot about guarding in 7 mainly because my brain was going 'there's no way he could block that with his arm anyway'.
I don't recall any instance of guarding in RE7 up until the end where it's actually mandatory. Even now when I pick it up for a quick fuckaround after four plays through the game, I just don't do it. Probably because it just seems dumb as gently caress to block any and all attacks by just putting your arms across your face, and I subconsciously refuse to accept it as a thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guarding is insanely effective but it doesn't look like it should be. They did a bad job of visually communicating it and there's a reason a lot of people just never do it despite repeated prompts.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They should have given Ethan a medieval knight's shield.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

CJacobs posted:

They should have given Ethan a medieval knight's shield.

That would apparently be a downgrade from his bare arm, which handles chainsaws with ease.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Maybe if when he takes the hit while blocking he shoves the hit to the side so it looks more like a glancing blow. Obviously this doesn't work with something like a crab claw chain saw.

Then if you do it enough he goes full Gunkata at the end.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ImpAtom posted:

Guarding is insanely effective but it doesn't look like it should be. They did a bad job of visually communicating it and there's a reason a lot of people just never do it despite repeated prompts.

you can basically walk into any of the explosives in the game and take negligible damage if you're guarding. now i know why monsters always put their hands in front of their face

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

While it would probably be hilarious cartoonish, I almost think what they should have done is play up the arm-removal thing. You can block with your arm but it takes damage and something like a chainsaw cuts it right off and you have to pour Health Drank on it to reattach it. I mean Ethan does that when his leg gets cut off, just play with that, making Ethan a bizarre superhero who takes advantage of his amazing regeneration to gently caress with monsters.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

While it would probably be hilarious cartoonish, I almost think what they should have done is play up the arm-removal thing. You can block with your arm but it takes damage and something like a chainsaw cuts it right off and you have to pour Health Drank on it to reattach it. I mean Ethan does that when his leg gets cut off, just play with that, making Ethan a bizarre superhero who takes advantage of his amazing regeneration to gently caress with monsters.
I'd be really surprised if this wasn't the plan at some point. Like part of why I wasn't guarding throughout the game was that I legit thought this is what would happen, especially since you can pick up Ethan's hand in the prologue.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Capcom explained why Redfield looks the way he does

- Game is photorealistic, and Old Redfield is a cartoon
- RE7 literally requires a human face with mapping software to create assets
- There is no way whatsoever to use existing art assets without recreating them from scratch, so if any other old timers show up, they're going to be portrayed by a real life model that looks kinda like them

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Well that kind of sucks. I liked RE5/6 Chris!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

- There is no way whatsoever to use existing art assets without recreating them from scratch, so if any other old timers show up, they're going to be portrayed by a real life model that looks kinda like them

Interesting, so now it's easier to scan a person into a game than it is to have your art team do it. How times have changed.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's still a little weird they didn't bring the old voice actor back.

SettingSun posted:

Interesting, so now it's easier to scan a person into a game than it is to have your art team do it. How times have changed.
A lot of pre-release material for Metal Gear Solid V showed off similar technology and methods that they used in that game- they could even scan objects like rocks to create in-game assets. Its really interesting stuff. For some of the more iconic characters though they did create some face models from scratch.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 16, 2017

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

More reasons why RE7 is the worst game in the history of games.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

There's also the weird bit where he has what, two lines(?) in the game, yet the Japanese credits lists 5 different voice actors. The English credits only list a single name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsNJWGBNfJA&t=427s

After looking at that list though, it looks like that might be an error in the credits where they forgot to list the soldiers and the pilot in the left hand column next to the people who voice and mocapped them in the Japanese credits.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Even if his face is different, they surely would have been able to bulk him up a bit in post or something, right? Do they have no wiggle room for how characters look beyond choosing who to cast? That's weird.

Maybe he just stopped juicing after he murdered Wesker. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The only healing items in Not a Hero are steroids, no joke. Hopefully he'll be jacked up by the end.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It feels good to be right.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

SettingSun posted:

Idiots, they just needed to hire David Boreanaz, BANG! instant RE5/6 Redfield.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Boreanaz

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Recast Chris as Dwayne Johnson.

Actually, now that I think of it, I like to think he would've said no to Capcom.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
rip chris "man mountain" redfield
hello chris "some random twink idk" redfield

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
All the Likeness-Models are just regular-rear end people (models living in Toyko, appears to be the casting criteria). You can google their names and the top results are their facebook/instagram/twitter and whatnot. I wonder if they get heckled by RE Nerds asking if Wesker's dead and when we get to kill Lucas

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Too bad they couldn't find a real life actor that looks kind of like him.

I'm sorry but I don't buy that they couldn't have made him resemble Chris more in post. They can make people mutate all over place but they can't change someones hair color or bone structure a bit? I'm admittedly not a game developer but these reasons seem completely outlandish to me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Tbh if this is the issue people take a stand over, I'm satisfied, because if that's the most harsh complaint you've got then RE7 did pretty well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's just a fun thing to talk about because either the conspiracy theories are right or it was a pretty big/hilarious flub because they confused just about everyone with it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't see why it's a flub on their part, video games and movies recast characters as totally different looking people all the time. The counterargument to which has consistently been "but it's Chris" :T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The face models actually look unbelievably, eerily, perfectly accurate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/residentevil/comments/5og1vo/spoiler_re7_face_models/

The only one that had any significant modification is Grandma Baker http://www.acquamodels.com/model/1033

Apparently the models "got scanned" in 2015 and that was the whole process. Stand in one of those Airport Dick Detector Tubes for a moment, and they've got an art asset ready to go.

I'm willing to bet they did their best to find a Redfield lookalike. They literally chose exclusively models who already lived in Tokyo. They're not flying David Boreanaz to Japan on an RE Game Budget.