Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Burkion posted:

God I wish we could get new shows as loving insane as Season 2 was.

Just you know, without the unfortunate loss of half of the cast, and then the loss of the ENTIRE CAST at the end because they had to film a movie, and the lack of monster suits and no budget for a good third of it

What episodes were filmed along with the movie? I want to pay attention to the editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Some Numbers posted:

What episodes were filmed along with the movie? I want to pay attention to the editing.

The ones where they're in Australia. The Wedding part 1 and 2

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

They filmed a bunch of stuff in Australia late in the season, it'll be pretty obvious when we get there.

Also, I have to say I really don't care for the Thunderzords. I think as a kid I stopped watching pretty soon after the first couple of S2 episodes, and that would've been one reason why.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I forget what all the episodes were off the top of my head.

I know the Green Ranger Returns multiparter was also Movie filming time- I don't think Wild West Rangers was, that was after they got back to the States.

There is a specific point where in the show they literally go to Aussie land to justify shooting around there, so those are obvious. And yeah, the Wedding two parter.

Green Ranger Returns I don't think they were SUPPOSED to be there, but they were still filming there so that's why a lot of the locations are atypical.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Doc Morbid posted:

They filmed a bunch of stuff in Australia late in the season, it'll be pretty obvious when we get there.

Also, I have to say I really don't care for the Thunderzords. I think as a kid I stopped watching pretty soon after the first couple of S2 episodes, and that would've been one reason why.

I like the Zords themselves, and their relatively intricate combining scene. But yeah, the combination of having to splice it into footage from Zyuranger, and the fact that Dairanger's robot battles were all really dumb (pretty much summon the robot and do the slice with no fanfare) really makes the robot scenes in MMPR season 2 extra lovely.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I just really loved the Dinozords (the fact I never got that Deluxe Megazord haunts me to this day... well not really but you know what I mean) and was disappointed when they turned into the Thunderzords. I was a pretty dumb kid.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
They're still writing "AHHHHHH" at the start of episodes. I suspect that'll quit by Zeo and it's far superior "zeoooo gooooooo zeeoooo" open.

Watching this now I realize that Jason was the best ranger and I was a fool to be part of the Tommy fan club. Also since people are watching this who weren't even alive in the Zordon era and are just now paying attention to it, oh boy oh boy is Countdown To Destruction going to be BibleThump Central if it doesn't air at 3AM Monday morning or some poo poo.

Finally, I didn't realize Jason went to Poor VO Imitation in the middle of an episode. drat.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Doc Morbid posted:

:same:, especially as a kid.

I can appreciate them a lot more now, visually.

Holy poo poo, I forgot all the characters they added briefly to set up that someone other than Tommy was the White Ranger.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 15, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

They're still writing "AHHHHHH" at the start of episodes. I suspect that'll quit by Zeo and it's far superior "zeoooo gooooooo zeeoooo" open.

Watching this now I realize that Jason was the best ranger and I was a fool to be part of the Tommy fan club. Also since people are watching this who weren't even alive in the Zordon era and are just now paying attention to it, oh boy oh boy is Countdown To Destruction going to be BibleThump Central if it doesn't air at 3AM Monday morning or some poo poo.

Finally, I didn't realize Jason went to Poor VO Imitation in the middle of an episode. drat.

I have a feeling that if the characters were introduced today with the same level of popularity it had back in the day, there'd be shipping wars with Kimberly at the middle between Tommy and Jason

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm the guy that likes the Thunder zords over the megazords. Transforming red dragon that then made the other pieces its armor is way cooler to me

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
When did Zordon go from a dude who was trapped somewhere and was just sticking his head into something to communicate with the Rangers to a literal head-being?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I'll admit the red dragon is pretty drat cool.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MisterBibs posted:

When did Zordon go from a dude who was trapped somewhere and was just sticking his head into something to communicate with the Rangers to a literal head-being?

After Lerigoh freed him. Apparently he was a head being the whole time and ALSO in a time warp.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The red dragon thunderzord is dope as hell :colbert:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

parallelodad posted:

After Lerigoh freed him. Apparently he was a head being the whole time and ALSO in a time warp.

The Deepest Lore

MMPR S2 and 3 is probably the kookiest parts of PR over its entire span. Turbo as it tried to transition from serious to comedy comes right behind I think. Nothing else matches the craziness that MMPR had.

It's only a shame that we wont get to see Big Bad Beetleborgs streamed and see ghost clown Jay Leno

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 15, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

Turbo off screen. He was finally able to be rescued but his original body had basically turned into pure energy due to how long he was stuck in the time warp.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He was a head in a tube in a time warp, who found a machine or cast a spell to project his head into another tube. Then an ewok got him out of the time warp back into his regular tube, then his tube got jacked on the way to his home planet.

He did have a corporeal body in one flashback where he collected some singing squash or something though, I can't explain that one.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Xelkelvos posted:

The Deepest Lore

MMPR S2 and 3 is probably the kookiest parts of PR over its entire span. Turbo as it tried to transition from serious to comedy comes right behind I think. Nothing else matches the craziness that MMPR had.

It's only a shame that we wont get to see Big Bad Beetleborgs streamed and see ghost clown Jay Leno

oh man, speaking of Kooky:

Do you think we'll see the Ninja Turtles and Masked Rider crossover episodes?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Apparently this episode currently being shown on Twitch is called "Orchestral Maneuvers in the Park", which just might be the best name for a Power Rangers episode I've ever seen.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

Turbo off screen. He was finally able to be rescued but his original body had basically turned into pure energy due to how long he was stuck in the time warp.

On another show, that'd be equal parts awesome and dark as poo poo.

"Hey, you're freed from a nebulous prison you've been in for ages! Your body died long ago, you just didn't realize it, though, so here's a basically identical prison new tube!"

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 15, 2017

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

Ninja turtles ep in space power rangers was the loving poo poo

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

I really hope so. Ninja Turtles was during In Space or Turbo, right? Masked Rider might've been before I started to actively watch PR

MisterBibs posted:

On another show, that'd be equal parts awesome and dark as poo poo.

"Hey, you're freed from a nebulous prison you've been in for ages! Your body died long ago, you just didn't realize it, though, so... "

It'll be fun when it gets to Lost Galaxy when the bad guys have Zordon all locked up in a tank in the first epsidoe

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I like the Dairanger mecha and will stab any dissenters in the leg.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Ninja turtles ep in space power rangers was the loving poo poo

That episode was awesome because it had a lot of Astronomema in it. :swoon:

E: holy christ, did I just make myself forget all the stock VOs and blatant different voices as a kid? :lol:

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 15, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh man, I forgot about Kimberly hamming it up and pretending to be Rita. :allears:

Along with a truly terrible Trini overdub.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

Some Numbers posted:

Oh man, I forgot about Kimberly hamming it up and pretending to be Rita. :allears:

Along with a truly terrible Trini overdub.

Good it's not just me that had to do a double take at Trini's voice.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Curtis aka MR STEAL YO GIRL

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

:woop: IT'S TIME FOR WHITE LIGHT! :woop:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Curtis is Richie's boyfriend. This is canon. You even see them go on a date in the park

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Some Numbers posted:

:woop: IT'S TIME FOR WHITE LIGHT! :woop:

HYPE

Also, I'm continuously amused by Zedd's weird hate boner for Tommy specifically.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Time for white power to reign in Twitch chat

like it always does

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's always bugged the poo poo out of me that the blurry effect on Zordon left this wobbly dangling bit on the camera-left side, likely the actors neck. Won't inline it because I'm lazy to re-upload it, bottom left.

Asymmetry bugs me.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Lmao holy poo poo this statue

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

parallelodad posted:

then his tube got jacked on the way to his home planet.

I was always under the assumption that Zordon's homeworld was taken by Dark Specter, and the SOS that sent him home was a ruse to kidnap him. Especially since while he's gone, the Phantom Ranger from the same homeworld shows up, acting solemn and mysterious and throwing weapons galore at the Rangers.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That phantom ranger is Billy and needs the suit to prevent aging and I will hear no different.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Maybe it's just nostalgia talking, but I really enjoy Wasserman's soundtrack.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MisterBibs posted:

I kinda want Rifftrax to do a chunk or six of the series, now, because of the actually-kinda-funny cracks the chat is pulling out.

E: vvv Iirc, they couldn't even do fight scenes because the costumes were so lovely they'd tear them apart.

Which is really weird since the Dark Ranger suits are supposedly just recolored Z-Putty suits, and those got plenty of fight scenes

MisterBibs posted:

Ya know, it would've ruined a great scene in PriS, but I kinda wish Bulk and Skull knew who the Rangers were, with the Rangers ignorant of the fact that they knew.

Cause I'm one of those people who likes fanfiction and coming up with ideas for it, was fiddling with a concept for an AU for MMPR where Bulk & Skull are part of the original 5 Rangers instead of say Billy & Trini

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I still like to think the Phantom Ranger is Zordon's son

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Okay, but why are Bulk and Skull dressed like Part 3 Joseph and Jotaro??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
drat, you know ASJ didn't know that Zordon's line was "How cool is it to have a new leader?" when he was grinning and agreeing.