Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play FreezeMe

FreezeMe is a darling, underrated gem of a 3D platformer. And when I say underrated, I mean absolutely nobody gives a drat about this game. Clive 'N Wrench gained more popularity. But unlike any other recent attempt to revive 3D platformers, FreezeMe has a special place in my soul. It had the courage to stand up tall and shout, “I am not trying to be Banjo Kazooie!”

So what is it trying to be?

Well, Mario. This game captures the spirit of Mario's game design better than any other game inspired by him. The developer himself is quick to compare it to Mario 64, but it feels more like a hybrid of Sunshine and Galaxy, combining elements of both for a colorful, fast-paced mix of instant gratification and whimsical exploration. If you're only in the ride to count the number of references, paint strokes, and ideas borrowed from the plumber's games, let me save you the trouble: it is a low budget, unlicensed Mario game with a freeze ray. You're gonna have to bite that bullet if you want to enjoy it.

It's good at being a knockoff?

Absolutely! As I said, you'd be hard-pressed to find another non-Mario game with a better understanding of Mario's design.

What's this about a freeze ray?

The advertised “twist” in FreezeMe is the main character's camera, which can be used to freeze objects in time. Get it, because it's a camera? And cameras preserve moments in time? Okay, I think you've got it. It's an interesting idea, but if you're coming to FreezMe to see game design thoroughly based around it, then you've also come to the wrong place. Don't get me wrong, the camera has its shining moments, but it's more an appendage to the player than anything else.

How's this going to work?

I'm going to be 100%ing the game, collecting all the Golden Cubes, Green Coins, and uh... Salamanders. Be aware that the playthrough is going to have a drastic shift in style around halfway through, though.

Why?

You'll see. Let's get down to business.

Videos

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
This seems like a remarkably fun and charming game. I like the little details, like how R's glasses don't warp at the same time as her.

Also, random, but could you use the camera on the crumbling blocks to make them last longer?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

Also, random, but could you use the camera on the crumbling blocks to make them last longer?

I actually don't know, but I do know that I have never considered trying it for whatever reason.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The game's music really feels Mario as gently caress. Like if this was a Mario 64 bootleg, I wouldn't even feel ripped off cause of how well it captured playing a Mario game.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
It certainly seems to have the feel of a Mario game down pat. The Sunshine influence is pretty clear to see in particular.

Does seem to be on the easy side judging from the first level... what's the difficulty curve like? Does it pretty much stay easy, or do they ramp up the challenge at any point?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

Chimera-gui posted:

The game's music really feels Mario as gently caress. Like if this was a Mario 64 bootleg, I wouldn't even feel ripped off cause of how well it captured playing a Mario game.

I was thinking the same thing!

Going from this first level, it really seems like a shame that it's an unknown entity in indy games. Like, I can see so much potential here!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

The music is the most polished part of the game.

KieranWalker posted:

Does it pretty much stay easy, or do they ramp up the challenge at any point?

It actually gets outright loving brutal toward the very end, but it's a slow burner.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Going from this first level, it really seems like a shame that it's an unknown entity in indy games. Like, I can see so much potential here!

I think the hype for Yooka-Laylee and A Hat in Time might've overshadowed anything else.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I feel nothing toward this boss battle.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012
I love the dickens out of this game and am sad it doesn't get more love. Chilly Cool Frozen Mountain (dang that name is bootleg mario as heck) is definitely one of my favorite stages. If I'm not mistaken, R's character texture is just sitting in a game folder so that you can edit it. In my playthrough she was dressed as Max Caulfield.

There's also another 3D indie platformer out right now called "Poi", and it's also cute and fun.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

LoseHound posted:

I love the dickens out of this game and am sad it doesn't get more love. Chilly Cool Frozen Mountain (dang that name is bootleg mario as heck) is definitely one of my favorite stages. If I'm not mistaken, R's character texture is just sitting in a game folder so that you can edit it. In my playthrough she was dressed as Max Caulfield.

There's also another 3D indie platformer out right now called "Poi", and it's also cute and fun.

I am playing the PS4 version, so I can't really muck around with anything, but I definitely would've if I had the option.

And yeah, there's both Poi and Macbat 64, for anyone who's interested in more indie 3D platforming goodness.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Littlebit too much sand. But no seriously this is my favorite level.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

We stop Fat the Cat and nothing goes wrong and everything goes right.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I... have to admit I was not expecting that. Talk about coming out of nowhere.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Hm, yes. You're now the angriest entity in fat the cat land.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

So not just a game that wants to be mario, it also wants to be dragon ball.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

KieranWalker posted:

I... have to admit I was not expecting that. Talk about coming out of nowhere.

This is always the best reaction to showing people the twist.

Mzbundifund posted:

Hm, yes. You're now the angriest entity in fat the cat land.

Except maybe Piggleton's dad.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I'm not qualified to give you business advice sir I'm just here to take your money.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
so what are the mechanics of rage mode, it looks like if you get hit you revert back to normal? do you have to be full health for it?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

so what are the mechanics of rage mode, it looks like if you get hit you revert back to normal? do you have to be full health for it?

You do need full health for rage mode.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I must've felt off while recording this one.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Condensing hours of real-time effort.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Feels like the game could definitely have used more sections where you need to use the slide, yeah. Seems like they had the fundamental mechanics decently implemented if they'd bothered to use it anyplace else.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

KieranWalker posted:

Feels like the game could definitely have used more sections where you need to use the slide, yeah. Seems like they had the fundamental mechanics decently implemented if they'd bothered to use it anyplace else.

I spite of my saying that, you actually use it a third time I had completely forgotten about. Of course I find a way to completely break it, but hey, it's there.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Most of these are actually fun.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Most of the challenge missions (minus the gravity spheres) actually look pretty good. I think I would actually like that one in the dark without the time limit, though. Or maybe with a slightly longer time limit. Precision platforming with limited visibility isn't something I excel at when rushed.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

KieranWalker posted:

Precision platforming with limited visibility isn't something I excel at when rushed.

Thankfully it's a short challenge.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Sayonara.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for showing this off.

Does 100%ing this game unlock anything interesting?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

Thanks for showing this off.

Does 100%ing this game unlock anything interesting?

I've got one extra video left to show off the unlockables. And no problem! I had a great time playing it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

How horrifying

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wait. Wait.

That's an UNLOCKABLE? I'd assumed the fact that it plays that whole animation every time you handed in coins to the Hubbiton statue was some kind of game engine limitation.

I do not support the decision to put this behind an optional collection quest.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

Wait. Wait.

That's an UNLOCKABLE? I'd assumed the fact that it plays that whole animation every time you handed in coins to the Hubbiton statue was some kind of game engine limitation.

I do not support the decision to put this behind an optional collection quest.

I definitely would've preferred that to be unlocked by default.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Does seem like some bullshit, yeah.

I mean, indie game loaded with questionable design choices, but hey. Having seen it through to the end, I would say it's a competent game that didn't really capitalize on all the ideas its creator put into it, not even (most bizarrely) the one it's named after. Thanks for showing it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

KieranWalker posted:

Does seem like some bullshit, yeah.

I mean, indie game loaded with questionable design choices, but hey. Having seen it through to the end, I would say it's a competent game that didn't really capitalize on all the ideas its creator put into it, not even (most bizarrely) the one it's named after. Thanks for showing it off.

Yeah, it's lacking in the polish department big time, and people who bought it for the freezing mechanic were probably disappointed. It does have Mario-inspired design though, which was the selling point for me.

• Locked thread