Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

I like how you call her chill directly underneath a picture of her gnawing your arm.

Edit: What an awful first post! I will put pictures of my ~*first foster*~ in here tomorrow morning, how about that?

P.S. I'm getting my first foster tomorrow, I am so nervous but excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Edit: no what is happening

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I really like Milly she has just a great face and great everything :kimchi:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

luloo123 posted:

This is absolutely progress. Try doing it a few times per day, skittering away less or putting it farther away from her incrementally. You're essentially training her to trust you. And keep in mind that she's eating while you're there (even if you're asleep), which is a hell of a lot better than when you got her. You're doing great.

In a week or so, you might consider sitting on the bed and playing with a dangly cat toy near where she's hiding before you feed her. (Don't stab it at her or anything). You might not know if she's actually paying attention, but ideally, a paw will poke out from her hiding place after a few days. If it does, keep playing and give her some food right afterwards. Play may help to relieve some of her stress, and the food will hopefully help with bonding as she starts to associate play with you and other happy things.

One of my cats took months to come out of hiding and half a year before she'd let me pet her. Dangly cat toys scared her for a long time but I had a lot of early success with a laser pointer. It's the least threatening toy possible and you can easily cast it across the room so the cat can run around and play without having to get closer to you than they're comfortable with.

This is just about all I saw of her for the first couple of months:

And this is her hanging out with my other cat a few months later:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Tendai posted:

I really like Milly she has just a great face and great everything :kimchi:

Me too, she's good people and really just wants play, pets or to sleep on me all the time. Have some bonus squeaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr1F9dhe_wQ

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Boogalo posted:

Milly has been here 6 months now but I'll always spam pictures on demand.

Chillest tortie ever.

I would accuse you of stealing my catte, but Milly is a short hair, while Momma Cat (or Sugar Sprinkles if you ask my niece what her name is) is a medium hair. :kimchi:

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

taiyoko posted:

I would accuse you of stealing my catte, but Milly is a short hair, while Momma Cat (or Sugar Sprinkles if you ask my niece what her name is) is a medium hair. :kimchi:

Pics or it didn't happen. :colbert:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Tiny Deer posted:

I like how you call her chill directly underneath a picture of her gnawing your arm.

Edit: What an awful first post! I will put pictures of my ~*first foster*~ in here tomorrow morning, how about that?

P.S. I'm getting my first foster tomorrow, I am so nervous but excited.

Well, to be fair, "chillest tortie ever" is relative.

Foster hissed at me again when I put her food down. I kinda gave her attitude about it ("oh you'll hiss at me but you never say no to the food") and left her alone. I think I need to spend more time in the room when she eats. I've been warming up her wet food to make it more tempting, and she usually chows down even when I'm in there. Maybe that'll help cement the connection of "person = food source."

Organza Quiz posted:

One of my cats took months to come out of hiding and half a year before she'd let me pet her. Dangly cat toys scared her for a long time but I had a lot of early success with a laser pointer. It's the least threatening toy possible and you can easily cast it across the room so the cat can run around and play without having to get closer to you than they're comfortable with.

This is just about all I saw of her for the first couple of months:

And this is her hanging out with my other cat a few months later:

This is super encouraging, thank you!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah it really can take forever, don't worry. My parents got a pair of cats from an awful home, and they hid under a radiator for weeks and weeks. Everyone was worried they were just totally broken from having had a such a tough life. They didn't like any food that was supposed to tempt them, they didn't like humans, they didn't like anything.

Today, one of them sleeps on my dad's chest every night, and the other one will just follow you around howling until you sit down so he can climb up on you and love you.

Not every cat is going to have such a dramatic turnaround, but you really won't know what's possible for a long time.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Tiny Deer posted:

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Well, to be fair, "chillest tortie ever" is relative.

She got the best behaved tortie ever award at the vet and meets me at the door every day after work, whines until I go upstairs to change and demands I lay down on the bed for a few minutes so she can lay down and drool on me. This leads to inadvertent afternoon naps. When playing she nibbles and bunny kicks with no claws and lets me bury my face in her belly fluff without clawing my ears off. Highly recommended will adopt again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEbe3BlSWo4

My lap or right in front of the keyboard are her usual spots.

http://i.imgur.com/UBrzKZ3.gifv

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

How the hell are everyone's resue torties chill af while making adorable squeaks and meows, while mine is the literal spawn of satan who only deems me worthy of attention when its food or water time and yowls constantly like she just sat on a sandspur? :downs:

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

Not every cat is going to have such a dramatic turnaround, but you really won't know what's possible for a long time.

Yeah, my skittish grey streak took a while, but her brother was a different story. He was super friendly at the shelter, forgot who I was when they delivered them to me, hid for a few weeks, then got over it and makes an utter fool of his big fluffy self for pets. Same bad home, much different progress speeds.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

This picture is blurry because it's the only one I was able to grab between him headbutting my hand for petting and meowing like a rusty hinge. This is Val, and he just finished a bunch of surgery to fix his face. I think he turned out quite handsome. :3:

He has cat dandruff, should I expect that to go away with better food? I've got him on Wellness Core canned and Orijin dry.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
It might, but don't be surprised if it doesn't. A lot of dandruff is actually caused by seborrheic dermatitis, which some current theories in medicine argue is caused by an abnormal immune response to a type of yeast that's part of the normal skin flora. My cat Freya had dandruff for years despite being fed the same high-quality food as the other cats in my house. We had to brush her all the time or she'd look really gross. Now she's on a long-term steroid for IBS and one of the side effects of the reduced immune response caused by the steroid is her dandruff cleared up.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Norris has had mild to moderate dandruff for years despite eating only The Good Stuff.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Bah, I'll just wipe him down for his glamour shots then. I have a feeling I won't have a cat this good for very long.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
First: It's amazing to me how this thread has just become an awesome resource and support system. I love so much that everyone jumps in to be helpful! You're all great and this little goofy corner of the internet makes me feel all tickly inside. Thanks for keeping it up!

Got a little update from the foster room. Not all of it's great news but we're still hopeful! Video update here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNInH-ZEq6g

tl;dr Blood work came back, and the poor girls seem to be showing signs of kidney failure. We've changed their diet to support them and are gonna be putting them on meds. The prognosis isn't horrible, cats get on OK with kidney failure for some time and they're not canceling Pie's dental surgery which is a good sign that they're optimistic about their chances of living good kitty lives.

Pie seems to hardly ever be able to keep herself upright when she's near me. She loooooves belly rubs.

Peaches is a good catte too:

A follow up to this:

Marchegiana posted:

It might, but don't be surprised if it doesn't. A lot of dandruff is actually caused by seborrheic dermatitis, which some current theories in medicine argue is caused by an abnormal immune response to a type of yeast that's part of the normal skin flora. My cat Freya had dandruff for years despite being fed the same high-quality food as the other cats in my house. We had to brush her all the time or she'd look really gross. Now she's on a long-term steroid for IBS and one of the side effects of the reduced immune response caused by the steroid is her dandruff cleared up.

Dandruff has been a consistent struggle with Pie. A daily coating in Coconut Oil seems to help a fair bit. You can also supplement their food with fish oil or even coconut oil to promote less itchy/dry skin.

And a quick hello from out permacats:

Monty doesn't seem to think that taking my bag and going to work is all that important.

And Butters on guard duty while mom takes a nap.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can't believe there aren't tons of people interested in getting two cats who are friends when it's so often a total mystery whether cats will tolerate or hate each other.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jack Gladney posted:

I can't believe there aren't tons of people interested in getting two cats who are friends when it's so often a total mystery whether cats will tolerate or hate each other.

That has always confused me too. It's not actually harder to take care of two cats over one and it's only a little more expensive. Plus, double the snuggles.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Chili posted:

First: It's amazing to me how this thread has just become an awesome resource and support system. I love so much that everyone jumps in to be helpful! You're all great and this little goofy corner of the internet makes me feel all tickly inside. Thanks for keeping it up!

Got a little update from the foster room. Not all of it's great news but we're still hopeful! Video update here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNInH-ZEq6g

tl;dr Blood work came back, and the poor girls seem to be showing signs of kidney failure. We've changed their diet to support them and are gonna be putting them on meds. The prognosis isn't horrible, cats get on OK with kidney failure for some time and they're not canceling Pie's dental surgery which is a good sign that they're optimistic about their chances of living good kitty lives.

Pie seems to hardly ever be able to keep herself upright when she's near me. She loooooves belly rubs.

Peaches is a good catte too:

A follow up to this:

Dandruff has been a consistent struggle with Pie. A daily coating in Coconut Oil seems to help a fair bit. You can also supplement their food with fish oil or even coconut oil to promote less itchy/dry skin.

And a quick hello from out permacats:

Monty doesn't seem to think that taking my bag and going to work is all that important.

And Butters on guard duty while mom takes a nap.

Renal food can be a godsend. When my girl was diagnosed, the vet said the right diet could give her 5 high-quality years. And she loved the food. She ultimately died about 2 years later, but it wasn't from kidney failure--her kidneys stayed at Stage II the entire time. Keep up the great work!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kwyndig posted:

That has always confused me too. It's not actually harder to take care of two cats over one and it's only a little more expensive. Plus, double the snuggles.

As the cat thread so eloquently put it: cats are assholes, get two

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

butterscotch big

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Renal food can be a godsend. When my girl was diagnosed, the vet said the right diet could give her 5 high-quality years. And she loved the food. She ultimately died about 2 years later, but it wasn't from kidney failure--her kidneys stayed at Stage II the entire time. Keep up the great work!

Hey you've reminded me of something, there's a non-terrible brand out, Dave's, that makes cat (and dog!) food that fits some of the parameters that prescription foods pretend they're the only ones doing. Low protein and phosphorus (kidney issues), and low magnesium and phosphorus (urinary). It uses brown rice and alfalfa as opposed to corn, and just eliminated carrageenan, a controversial thickener made with seaweed, as an ingredient. A 5.5 oz, 24 case of the "urinary" formula goes for $33.99 on Chewy's right now - though I'll always say check locally first.

I in no way mean to encourage people to toss what their vet has said aside for a post some random chick made on an internet forum, but I do think it's wise for your wallet (and the sake of your pets, there are some questionable/undesirable ingredients in prescription foods, and a lot of bullshit that goes with it) to explore other options. After all, if the prescription foods tout that they have less x and y, and more z, then it's valid to explore options that fit x, y, and z that don't beggar you and might end up working better.

For example I have a cat with renal issues, and balked pretty hard at feeding prescription due to the research I've done on the companies and ingredients and the simple fact that my dude hated it. Like, just despised it and was severely underweight. I found out a few things that fit the bill better by being more palatable and affordable and he's sooo much better, like begging for dinner and running around like an rear end in a top hat again better.

Again, I will stress, I am not a veterinarian. But I have spoken to my vet about my choices and she is 100% supportive. Also I realize that a simple post about a brand I just found out about and might be helpful turned into a tirade. Sorry, dudes! Keep up the good work!

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

dismas posted:

butterscotch big

yeah yeah yeah

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

This is very :3:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
How do I idiot proof my house from my brain damaged kitty?

He had some issues when he was born including not breathing for a few scary moments but he pulled through and he's strong boy now but he's SUPER dumb, the brain damage doesn't affect his motor functions but he's just not bright at all, it took a long time for him to learn that the litterbox isn't for patting and he still makes a gigantic mess when he eats wet food(he takes it out of the scary can with his paw), I tend to keep him in a play room when I'm not home and there's nothing in there he can hurt himself with yet he still finds new and exciting ways to hurt himself, today he has the corners of his mouth slightly swollen and he's missing a patch of hair near his whiskers(oddly enough no blood, he's just missing hair there.)

So either he's going off on adventures or I don't know. :confused:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Alteisen posted:

He had some issues when he was born including not breathing for a few scary moments but he pulled through and he's strong boy now but he's SUPER dumb, the brain damage doesn't affect his motor functions but he's just not bright at all, it took a long time for him to learn that the litterbox isn't for patting and he still makes a gigantic mess when he eats wet food(he takes it out of the scary can with his paw), I tend to keep him in a play room when I'm not home and there's nothing in there he can hurt himself with yet he still finds new and exciting ways to hurt himself, today he has the corners of his mouth slightly swollen and he's missing a patch of hair near his whiskers(oddly enough no blood, he's just missing hair there.)

dont feed them out of the can get a dish they cant flip, back paw scratching maybe? make sure you have toys with feedback keeps em more engaged and less likely to start trying to climb walls or parkour

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
or get like 5 more cats

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah it's possible the cat just can't get his head/mouth comfortably into the can. If their whiskers get compressed against something they can assume that there's high risk of getting stuck in some kind of hilarious Winnie-the-Pooh situation.

Also it might not be brain damage. Some cats are just kind of stupid. If he's getting into poo poo during the day he might just need more amusement

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

So I need some advice for my diabetic fluffy boy. He was diagnosed last year in August and has been on insulin since then (2.5 unites of vetsulin a day). He's lost a LOT of weight since then, went down from about 13.5 pounds to 10, so the vet recommended we put him on a better wet food diet, with good calories-from-carbs food. He's really liked it, but the problem is, he is always howling and bugging me for more. And since the other two also want some, I can't tell if he's genuinely super hungry or he just wants more of the delicious smelling new wet food.

I don't want to overfeed him, and the dry food the other cats like is still there if he really is hungry (I feed Leo separately now in another room for his wet food, but the other two are free fed so rather than changing their habits as well I just leave it out like normal for them), and I don't want to get him into bad habits, but the constant complaining is driving me nuts. He's never done this before. Is this just going to take time for him to adjust to as he gains a bit of weight back or will I just have to live with him being complainy about food now that I've found one he really really likes? Old wet food we've tried before they'd just lick the juices off and be done with it, but all three go nuts for this stuff (Friskies classic pate).

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 18, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Safari Disco Lion posted:

So I need some advice for my diabetic fluffy boy. He was diagnosed last year in August and has been on insulin since then (2.5 unites of vetsulin a day). He's lost a LOT of weight since then, went down from about 13.5 pounds to 10, so the vet recommended we put him on a better wet food diet, with good calories-from-carbs food. He's really liked it, but the problem is, he is always howling and bugging me for more. And since the other two also want some, I can't tell if he's genuinely super hungry or he just wants more of the delicious smelling new wet food.

I don't want to overfeed him, and the dry food the other cats like is still there if he really is hungry (I feed Leo separately now in another room for his wet food, but the other two are free fed so rather than changing their habits as well I just leave it out like normal for them), and I don't want to get him into bad habits, but the constant complaining is driving me nuts. He's never done this before. Is this just going to take time for him to adjust to as he gains a bit of weight back or will I just have to live with him being complainy about food now that I've found one he really really likes? Old wet food we've tried before they'd just lick the juices off and be done with it, but all three go nuts for this stuff (Friskies classic pate).

yeah this is you training. monitor weight (obvs) and adjust to fit but dont change your schedule unless you would love an eternally yelling for food at 2 am cat.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Gladney posted:

Yeah it's possible the cat just can't get his head/mouth comfortably into the can. If their whiskers get compressed against something they can assume that there's high risk of getting stuck in some kind of hilarious Winnie-the-Pooh situation.

Also it might not be brain damage. Some cats are just kind of stupid. If he's getting into poo poo during the day he might just need more amusement

No its damage, when the momma cat cat him I had to rush her to the vet when I noticed something was wrong, I have never broken so many speed laws in my life but gently caress it lives where at stake, they couldn't quite tell how long he'd been out not if he'd pull through but thankfully he did.

The derp himself.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Alteisen posted:

No its damage, when the momma cat cat him I had to rush her to the vet when I noticed something was wrong, I have never broken so many speed laws in my life but gently caress it lives where at stake, they couldn't quite tell how long he'd been out not if he'd pull through but thankfully he did.

The derp himself.

Yeah I would just try dumping that can out onto a plate. Or maybe a big heavy dog bowl that he can't overturn.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Alteisen posted:

My cat is also hella dumb and likes to pull food out of her bowl with her paw (and dip her paw into her water rather than drink it sometimes) and I deal with it by feeding her in a broad bowl on a plastic mat to eliminate mess, and also owning another cat who comes and hoovers up all the food debris when the first cat is done.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Alteisen posted:

It has never occurred to me to trust any of my cats with a can, I always just put it in a neat little pile on a plate for them while singing.

Pretty cute for an apparent dumbass.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Some cats are just messy. I think the trick is to clean up after them and love them anyway, faults and all.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It has never occurred to me to trust any of my cats with a can, I always just put it in a neat little pile on a plate for them while singing.

Yeah do this (singing included).

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

I always tell my cats what they're having for dinner, including the stupid product name.

"Oh boys, tonight we're having Weruva's Tuna and Beef Baby-Cakes*! You're gonna love it!"

*actual name of actual food

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Currently when I peek at my foster, she stares at me with more curiosity than dread, and the other day when I slid the food dish under her hiding place, she briefly stopped staring at me to glance over at the food. She didn't wait till I was gone to start eating.

It's been three weeks and I'm calling it progress!

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Currently when I peek at my foster, she stares at me with more curiosity than dread, and the other day when I slid the food dish under her hiding place, she briefly stopped staring at me to glance over at the food. She didn't wait till I was gone to start eating.

It's been three weeks and I'm calling it progress!

That counts! Letting you see her eat and be slightly vulnerable is a big step for a cat. You're no longer definitely planning to eat her, only probably planning to eat her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Tiny Deer posted:

That counts! Letting you see her eat and be slightly vulnerable is a big step for a cat. You're no longer definitely planning to eat her, only probably planning to eat her.

Well to be fair, I stuck the food in her hiding place and walked away, but she ate while I was still in the room. Progress!

Over the last couple days I've been dangling a feather toy a few feet away from her when I peek at her. She'll definitely take her eyes off me long enough to catch a few glimpses.

I'm wearing you down, kitty!