Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Megaspel posted:

Jay from Jay and Miles Explain the X-Men was saying that the show will most likely end in the destruction of the world. He hasn't actually watched it yet, but is guessing based on who's writing it. Makes a lot of sense, sorta seems like an inevitability with uncontrolled unlimited power.

Eh, I disagree. The show is very, very personal. Expanding that to a world-ending scenario seems to be getting away from the focus on the individuals and more on the outside world.

I would guess it's much more likely to end the way X-Men Legacy did when David was the star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Awesome. I didn't know what to expect from this show, and now I am positive I have no clue where it's going. Which is exactly what I wanted.

"Terrified, menacing rendition of The Rainbow Connection" is now a thing I have seen in a piece of fiction.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Well I don't know what that scene was, but I liked it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Well that was one heck of a cliffhanger.

This has been a real showcase for Aubrey Plaza.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 16, 2017

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Lenny is Legion's version of Cassandra Nova

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
BETTER MAKE WAY FOR HOMO-SUPERIOR

lokipunk fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 16, 2017

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dmitri-9 posted:

Lenny is Legion's version of Cassandra Nova

Nah, it's the Shadow King for sure. Maybe Xavier defeated him and he hid or took refuge in David when he was young, and was going to possess him before he learned how powerful David was.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Codependent Poster posted:

Nah, it's the Shadow King for sure. Maybe Xavier defeated him and he hid or took refuge in David when he was young, and was going to possess him before he learned how powerful David was.

I know but "I've known you since the womb" is very suggestive.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

I've never seen nor heard the word "crickets" said with such absolute menace before.

CRICKETS.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Xealot posted:

Awesome. I didn't know what to expect from this show, and now I am positive I have no clue where it's going. Which is exactly what I wanted.

"Terrified, menacing rendition of The Rainbow Connection" is now a thing I have seen in a piece of fiction.

"From the man who brought you 'menacing recitation of the Jabberwocky...'"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The preview for the next episode even outright calls him/her/it The Shadow King Amahl Farouk

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 16, 2017

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I was pretty hesitant to start this show because there is nothing more boring than Hollywood superhero poo poo, but god drat that was an excellent first episode. Keeping my fingers crossed that the next 5 eps I'm about to watch don't drop massively in quality

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scent of Worf posted:

I was pretty hesitant to start this show because there is nothing more boring than Hollywood superhero poo poo, but god drat that was an excellent first episode. Keeping my fingers crossed that the next 5 eps I'm about to watch don't drop massively in quality

Check it out: it gets even better.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Give Aubrey Plaza all the awards. She managed to take a B-/C+ villain like The Shadow King into an actual scary villain, when he was just kind of a filler villain for X-Men comics. I'm scaroused after watching her dance number. She's up there with Jessica Jone's Purple Man for scary villains.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 16, 2017

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

thrakkorzog posted:

I'm scaroused after watching her dance number.

This, but after that last therapy session.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

thrakkorzog posted:

Give Aubrey Plaza all the awards. She managed to take a B-/C+ villain like The Shadow King into an actual scary villain, when he was just kind of a filler villain for X-Men comics. I'm scaroused after watching her dance number. She's up there with Jessica Jone's Purple Man for scary villains.

This show made Aubrey Plaza grinding on you into something to be terrified of, which is pretty impressive.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Wait so if the lines/direction and such were unchanged from when Lenny was supposed to be a middle-aged dude does this mean we were robbed of the glorious internet comedy that would be the #legionfx reaction to a dude in a turtleneck, stockings and heels shimmying his way through David's memories? Because now I'm kind of upset.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

whowhatwhere posted:

Wait so if the lines/direction and such were unchanged from when Lenny was supposed to be a middle-aged dude does this mean we were robbed of the glorious internet comedy that would be the #legionfx reaction to a dude in a turtleneck, stockings and heels shimmying his way through David's memories? Because now I'm kind of upset.

I believe that was just an out of media foreshadow about benny.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I hope there's some pay-off for Kerry; it's pretty tiring to have her be "The Warrior" of the group in attitude but the damsel in distress for most of her on-screen time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This was the first episode where the weirdness tipped over into actively annoying imo. Shame :(

e: but not the dance and final scenes those were rad as poo poo. mainly I just think this shouldn't have taken up an entire episode

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 16, 2017

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve
It's totally not spotlight material, but I really enjoyed Harris/Ptonomy in the episode. It was really nice, despite the situation, to see a guy who is so reserved and cynical be vulnerable and smile. When he tells the story of his mom dying, it felt like Harris was getting to stretch his legs and it felt good.

Also, I have been under the assumption that David is the *memory* of his dad. It's clearly Stevens with a shadow cast over his face. This could be as much a production trick as it could be him looping back around to his youth, but I never really questioned it.

I'm leaning that they'll go the Ultimate Comics route on his parentage, but we may never see either Xavier or McTaggert.

Really, I'm just glad I live in a world where Aubrey Plaza is the Shadow King.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

datingvolcanoes posted:

I want to go back in time and tell myself, watching the first season of Parks and Rec, and say "See her? That's the loving Shadow King, and it's going to be amazing".

Then I'd of course have sex with myself, because that's the true use of time travel.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

datingvolcanoes posted:

I'm leaning that they'll go the Ultimate Comics route on his parentage, but we may never see either Xavier or McTaggert.

Patrick Stewart has said he's totally open to doing a cameo. Of course it was just during a talk show interview so it isn't exactly casting news or anything like that.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
The music in David's session is from 28 days later (Jim's hallucination of his parents) but I have no idea what it is since its not on the soundtrack. Anyone know?

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

This was the first episode where the weirdness tipped over into actively annoying imo. Shame :(

e: but not the dance and final scenes those were rad as poo poo. mainly I just think this shouldn't have taken up an entire episode

This was probably my vote for weakest episode of the show too. I wouldn't say it got too weird for me (I liked the weird parts of the episode the most), but it was a really slow episode overall. It did have some cool/interesting parts, but it also had a lot of plodding "huh, something is wrong here. Not sure what it is though" conversations... which really missed the mark for me because we already know EXACTLY what's wrong about what's happening.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I'm really glad they didn't have Cary/Oliver do an exposition dump back in the ice cube. I'm sure the decision was more rooted in "let's not pay Oliver for an ep" but that arc was just enough to show how they were helping/subverting King's actions. Melanie's in a weird spot, in some overlay of the Real without quite seeing how to use it yet. We were convinced she was setting up a self-sacrifice for the bullets. But then the paint stains on David's shirt don't make sense.

The flipped Syd/David conversation was amazing. There's stuff like that where I wonder just how planned out the whole series was, like was it taking the old script and using what was possible or crafting it once knowing it'd be used twice?

Elite posted:

This was probably my vote for weakest episode of the show too. I wouldn't say it got too weird for me (I liked the weird parts of the episode the most), but it was a really slow episode overall. It did have some cool/interesting parts, but it also had a lot of plodding "huh, something is wrong here. Not sure what it is though" conversations... which really missed the mark for me because we already know EXACTLY what's wrong about what's happening.
I always just leave the tv on FX and let the episode play again. I agree that it's a lot of setup for the next episode, but it was a great exploration of some of the side characters. Even the early "what's going on" conversation lets Cary drop an ice cube reference. "I'm sensing hostility..." floored me and Lenny's other line about Walter make him a little more real. I took the scene after he talked to Kerry, when she doubled over and he was Pepe Le Pew'ing it up behind her and eating an apple to mean he was doing *something* to her, if not the consumption he alluded to then otherwise weakening.

The biggest mystery to me was Amy. Everyone else just gets blanked and put in patient's clothes, it's reasonable to think they'd accept the situation like Ptolemy did. Is it just because she's human and Lenny can control her more effectively?

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Comfortador posted:

The music in David's session is from 28 days later (Jim's hallucination of his parents) but I have no idea what it is since its not on the soundtrack. Anyone know?

I could be wrong, but I think God Speed You Black Emperor did the soundtrack to 28 days later.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
DIS FUKKIN SHOW :magical:

Also, rawr Lenny. Blobs of grey desiccated flesh have never looked so foxy.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xand_Man posted:

I hope there's some pay-off for Kerry; it's pretty tiring to have her be "The Warrior" of the group in attitude but the damsel in distress for most of her on-screen time.

Well. Right now she's freaked out because she's being blocked from remembering who she is and her body-partner's just been dumped out of this area of the astral plane without her.

Lenny's control is breaking down and Walter's going to get very disappointed when she remembers how to fight and brings out the spiked baseball bat.

Also I was rooting for The Eye to be a mercenary so he could be reintegrated into the team but uh. I don't think I want that anymore :stare:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

This show is mind boggling. I don't know much about the Marvel universe, but I feel like I'm experiencing something amazing when I watch this. Even if I'm uncertain of what's actually going on, it's just so visually appealing that I can't look away. The things they do with the camera and special effects are praiseworthy for a cable show and almost reason enough to watch and appreciate.

Kudos to Aubrey Plaza too. I didn't think much of her in Parks and Rec, but she loving steals scenes in this show. I'm so glad this got picked up for another season.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I would like to see them take on new villains in subsequent seasons, so (on the face of it) Plaza couldn't necessarily return as King. It would be interesting to see her... it? turned into a reluctant sidekick character, like Dimple in MP100.

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

datingvolcanoes posted:

My theory is that David's parents are Dr. Bird and Oliver.

There's no cerebro, so how else would Dr. Bird know about David? Also she is the right age and is strangely invested in him.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

There's no cerebro, so how else would Dr. Bird know about David? Also she is the right age and is strangely invested in him.

I was so confused during the first episode I had partially checked out, but wasn't there some implication about Melanie being his mom in there somewhere?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

sector_corrector posted:

I would like to see them take on new villains in subsequent seasons, so (on the face of it) Plaza couldn't necessarily return as King. It would be interesting to see her... it? turned into a reluctant sidekick character, like Dimple in MP100.

I could see her being a fractured part of Shadow King turning up every once in a while to be a loving weirdo with no real power.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

This is the best show out there at the moment. A great example of the power of creative storytelling.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

Also I was rooting for The Eye to be a mercenary so he could be reintegrated into the team but uh. I don't think I want that anymore :stare:

I'm wondering if Walter "remembers" more than what he's letting on. Why else would he start stalking Karrie again?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm wondering if Walter "remembers" more than what he's letting on. Why else would he start stalking Karrie again?

My guess is that he knows exactly what's going on because SK is starting to attach itself to Walter. He's already a straight up sociopathic loon, might as well hop on board and get in on that sweet sweet optical control action.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Grem posted:

I could see her being a fractured part of Shadow King turning up every once in a while to be a loving weirdo with no real power.

My hope is that David finally boots SK out of his mind, it turns out he was just attached to Lenny's mental patterns, and we segue into the "David absorbs personalities from the dead" story arc.

Lenny is just so delightfully nutty that I hope she never goes away. :allears:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I have to say, I've never in my life seen a better "literally rampaging through your memories" scene than the one we had with Lenny and her dance number.

Everything you've ever known and everything you think you are exists only for me to play with. Or break.

Also, great to see the return of guy hiding in foliage :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

They "picked up" on him when Syd got in his body and blasted Human Lenny, it's implied that Division learned about him from that event too. The times that have been stated are David's about 30, Oliver's been on ice for 21 years. "Your father tried to hide you" makes it sound like the father knew, and Oliver wasn't keen on the Monster's presence on his first dips into Astral. It's a bit of a stretch.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I have to say, I've never in my life seen a better "literally rampaging through your memories" scene than the one we had with Lenny and her dance number.
Yeah, every set and background video shot was one of David's explosions. The kitchen, the lab where he teleported the MRI, etc.

Also this:

Gorilla Salad posted:

Also, great to see the return of guy hiding in foliage :thumbsup: