Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Zedd: "Shut up, I'm not done monologuing yet!"

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
"An excellent plan, may I suggest..."

"Silence, you FOOL! I wasn't through talking about ME yet!"

Like really is there any villain in sentai as good as Zedd, or even slightly less overexposed ones like Trakeena or Astronema?

Edit: I guess Abarekiller was pretty cool because he went from completely uninvested to only being repentant when being evil was about to kill him. But yeah, a good PR really starts with a good villain.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 16, 2017

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

the no look bag catch was pretty hype

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
why was the 2 secs of recycled Tommy clip necessary at this point?

EDIT: Also even though I watched all of Dairanger, I remember nothing of any of the plots with most of these monsters out side of the opening episodes and a couple of recurring monsters.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Jesus ever-loving Christ, I would be on Zedd's side if one of his Evil Plans was to make a scissor-based monster whose sole purpose was to cut Tommy's hair.

Cut your drat hair, dude.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I've only seen a couple of episodes of this part of the show and I'm already seeing a ton of repeated footage of the rangers jumping in a park

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I dunno why but that Power Axe part of the big cannon thing gets me hyped up. Not the rest of it, just the cool pose I guess

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Jesus ever-loving Christ, I would be on Zedd's side if one of his Evil Plans was to make a scissor-based monster whose sole purpose was to cut Tommy's hair.

Cut your drat hair, dude.

He will.

After Turbo and before Dino Thunder.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Tommy's hair is glorious

edit: why are Squatt and Baboo even still around

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
I started watching PR with the Space and Lost Galaxy era. Every time I've tried to go back and watch early MMPR, I've just been unable to do so because I felt the quality of the show was a lot worse...did anyone else have this experience?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The show's narrative peak started with the one episode where Astronema morphed into Ashley and snuck into the Megaship, and ended with the finale of Time Force.

You walked into one of the best moments of the franchise and, yeah, the MMPR stuff is campy as gently caress. But that's also the appeal.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

"An excellent plan, may I suggest..."

"Silence, you FOOL! I wasn't through talking about ME yet!"

Like really is there any villain in sentai as good as Zedd, or even slightly less overexposed ones like Trakeena or Astronema?

Edit: I guess Abarekiller was pretty cool because he went from completely uninvested to only being repentant when being evil was about to kill him. But yeah, a good PR really starts with a good villain.

Enter from Go-Busters comes pretty close I would say, both in regards to the entertainment factor and the fact that like Zedd he actually wins a few times (though in Zedd's case, most of those victories didn't start until Season 3).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 16, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Man this "Bookalah" episode is just the weirdest drat episode

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh jesus this episode. Billy kills a monster with one loving blast from the basic gun.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Craptacular! posted:

The show's narrative peak started with the one episode where Astronema morphed into Ashley and snuck into the Megaship, and ended with the finale of Time Force.

You walked into one of the best moments of the franchise and, yeah, the MMPR stuff is campy as gently caress. But that's also the appeal.

Fair enough. Just seemed to me MMPR being held in high regard was mostly nostalgia, especially going back and seeing some of the clusterfucky elements of the series now. Mixing footage from different Sentai seasons, unrefined American fight sequences, and relatively simple, repetitive storylines.

What's particularly aggravating is Neo-Saban trying desperately to emulate MMPR since 2011 and producing consistently subpar seasons as a result (Dino Charge notwithstanding).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, Enter was a fantastic villain.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This episode.

Goldar shoots at UNMORPHED rangers from Serpentera and they come away unscratched.

Billy: "Someday, I'll see the universe." (This only is remarkable if you're aware how Billy leaves, and how far out from now it is.)

There's no time to actually fight the monster so Zedd makes it grow right away.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The problem with samurai and megaforce isn't them cribbing too much from MMPR, it's copy+pasting the original sentai storyline with half the time and effort put into it. MMPRing it would make it more original.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wow, this Shauna sounds like a jilted ex.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Also, I just realized that "Beauty & The Beast", the episode where Zedd's plan is to roofie Kim and make a high school girl his mate? Yeah, that painful, cringeworthy road to Kim's Rita impression was written by Cheryl Saban.

I mean, women can miss social cues too, I suppose, but... :psyduck:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

You heard of that new thing the Rangers do? It's called #JETTING

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

goldar all wtf kind of dumbass plan is this

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I seriously don't remember them flying at all.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Tae posted:

I seriously don't remember them flying at all.

They're not flying, they're jetting.

Didn't know Kimberly's parents were divorced.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Didn't know Kimberly's parents were divorced.

I don't remember the details, so I might be getting it wrong, but they hired the same actor to play Kimberly's uncle and her mom's new boyfriend/husband.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

I don't remember the details, so I might be getting it wrong, but they hired the same actor to play Kimberly's uncle and her mom's new boyfriend/husband.

:allears:
This was the best show on television.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Craptacular! posted:

I'd extend that to the Time Force/Wild Force crossover.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I completely forgot that Goldar and Tommy had an ongoing feud.

Edit: Also, the Tommy AFK joke is still pretty apt, since Kibaranger was gone for so much of the footage.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 16, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

I'd extend that to the Time Force/Wild Force crossover.

To be honest the only real blemish on the Disney era was Operation Overdrive, everything else was fairly decent. More recently, I thought Dino Charge was pretty good overall too.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I love that chanbara-inspired sunset for the zord fight. I remember one episode of Akibaranger showed how they make those.

Larryb posted:

To be honest the only real blemish on the Disney era was Operation Overdrive, everything else was fairly decent. More recently, I thought Dino Charge was pretty good overall too.

Mystic Force was meh and I didn't see Jungle Fury but people didn't respond too well.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, Enter was a fantastic villain.

The best sentai villains in recent memory, to me are Enter, Basco and the Shadow Line as a whole.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Larryb posted:

The Time/Wild crossover was this Big Emotional Deal that the show still has yet to match or surpass.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

I love that chanbara-inspired sunset for the zord fight. I remember one episode of Akibaranger showed how they make those.

Mystic Force was meh and I didn't see Jungle Fury but people didn't respond too well.

Jungle Fury is alright, if a bit too plain, but it has the best mentor.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I have no idea why anyone would think there were monsters in the lake and...

:giant monster attacks city:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

Operation Overdrive was basically the nadir of Disney's PR. With Mystic Force showing signs of decline after SPD and Jungle Fury being its climb up and culminating with RPM. Neo-Saban has largely been going up, but it's hard to get worse than Super Megaforce.

We're going to get to Super Megaforce in a week or two aren't we. Ye gods will that be an experience.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

Also, I just realized that "Beauty & The Beast", the episode where Zedd's plan is to roofie Kim and make a high school girl his mate? Yeah, that painful, cringeworthy road to Kim's Rita impression was written by Cheryl Saban.

I mean, women can miss social cues too, I suppose, but... :psyduck:

I mean to be fair, sort of, Lord Zedd is literally an emperor of evil who has murdered trillions of people over at least ten thousand years.

You think he gives two flying fucks about age of consent or anything in that vein?

Don't forget the way he gets married is basically a reversal of that very idea!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well that's more power rangers than I've seen in forever. Very nice to have on in the background while doing boring video game grinding. Wonder where it will have reached by the time I get up

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

I thought Dino Charge was pretty good overall too.

Eh, I watched about a season or so of it before the marathon hit (as part of my every-few-years-PR kick), and it felt kinda middle-ground. It felt like there was a decent bedrock for interesting stories, I never felt it went as far as I would've liked. Like, the Ice Queen mentor kinda averaged out to a just-kinda-prissy lady, the cocky-as-poo poo Black Ranger averaged out to a moderately-cocky dude. Plus, holy poo poo the amount of Rangers and corresponding Zords meant every battle felt like a gamble of which 3-to-6 iterations of the Megazord they have are they gonna use .

I dig the bad guy of the second season. Dude is playing a low-rent version of Doctor Who, and I can respect that idea for a Power Rangers villain.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tommy: Okay guys you handle the big guy (because my Zord's not in the footage) and I'll handle the stuff down here.

It's like Go-Busters!

Edit: Twitch Chat: "WAIT THE SWORD TALKS?" :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Operation Overdrive was basically the nadir of Disney's PR. With Mystic Force showing signs of decline after SPD and Jungle Fury being its climb up and culminating with RPM. Neo-Saban has largely been going up, but it's hard to get worse than Super Megaforce.

We're going to get to Super Megaforce in a week or two aren't we. Ye gods will that be an experience.

Mystic Force mostly gets a pass from me because I like the characters, it is a very flawed show though (too much Nick focus, Madision barely gets any at all, and the whole show is basically an heavily abridged version of Magiranger only with the family aspect mostly gone and a few key plot points cut out).