Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if mokichi was gonna win he would have needed a much more impressive background. he is the master of an obscure martial art, but that's just not enough narrative weight to tip the scale. but who knows, maybe he has something else up his sleeve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mokichi definitely still has an ace up his sleeve. Before the fight the chairman kept talking about his bloodline, but he's not a descendant of the guy who invented baritsu, just one of the last practitioners.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I bet he's going to literally be the descendant of King Arthur or something.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
He is actually the direct descendant of Sherlock Holmes whose legendary adventures were falsely believed to be fictional because they were so incredible.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Chapter 55

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this doesn't work for me I just see CDN UK on every page

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
under settings change the image server

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think Mokichi will at least do some sort of comeback in the next chapter, though that doesn't necessarily mean he'll win (it might be the sort of thing where he just manages to force Raian to take him seriously while using his bloodlust).

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Alright, now Mokichi can lose.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Oh, almost certainly. Seeing someone outmatched trying to stage a comeback tends to be when these fights are at their most interesting, though. And who knows, sometimes it even works! Probably not this particular time, however.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Interesting that the bloodline they were talking about was apparently not the martial artist bloodline, given by the implications at the end of the chapter.

I'm excited.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
no westerner can hope to overwhelm the power of the yamato bloodline...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Relin posted:

no westerner can hope to overwhelm the power of the yamato bloodline...

As I mentioned in an earlier post, that is because all the strongest westerners are fighting for Exxon, Goldman Sachs, etc in the international Kengan matches.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

As I mentioned in an earlier post, that is because all the strongest westerners are fighting for Exxon, Goldman Sachs, etc in the international Kengan matches.

So the winner of this Kengan (Japan Division) Tournament will go on to fight in the World Kengan Cup and that will be the next major arc?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there is no world kengan cup, or even international kengan matches. corporate arbitration deathmatches are unique to japan, though foreigners are more than happy to spectate.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
As mentioned earlier in the manga there are definitely other fighting leagues in Japan/the world though.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah but Kengan appears to be the biggest and the best and the strongest, what with national leaders coming to watch.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It doesn't allow weapons though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are other fighting leagues, but not corporate arbitration fighting leagues. bringing business into it paradoxically makes kengan matches less corrupt than usual competitive fighting, as there are very large incentives to not throw matches.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RatHat posted:

It doesn't allow weapons though.

Well, look what happened to the one that did allow weapons.

Everyone died.

But Setsuna.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Internationals with a presence in Japan appear to have Kengan competitors, ref McDonalds and Disney. There likely isn't a discrete US version.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Mochi didn't want to use it this early, but he's going to have to bring out his trump card: the ultimate technique of the soul reaper, it is called "bankai".

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

Mochi didn't want to use it this early, but he's going to have to bring out his trump card: the ultimate technique of the soul reaper, it is called "bankai".

He's going to bust out the Adamic martial arts used by Jacob to wrestle down God

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kengan-Ashua/Vol-007-Ch-056?id=349808

New Chapter

e: JESUS CHRIST

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 16, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Welp.

lol at Setsuna's reaction though

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy poo poo that was brutal.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

F.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Well then.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I blame the ref.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
And this is only the third match of the tournament. :stare:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This Kure dude is destined to get completely decimated by a future opponent.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

REST IN PEACE

Fabricated posted:

This Kure dude is destined to get completely decimated by a future opponent.

Well, as the winner of the third match, Raian's second-round opponent will be the winner of the fourth match, which just so happens to feature our protagonist.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Good drat. That was intense.

I actually hope he somehow lives.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Then I got back up and owned him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
That was brutal. Is the fang of metsudo the guy who kicked the person off the boat?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nah, those were generic tournament enforcers. fang there is the chairman's fighter, meaning he is effectively the reigning champion.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jose posted:

That was brutal. Is the fang of metsudo the guy who kicked the person off the boat?

Nah, those were the bodyguards, who were later effortlessly killed by that guy who's obsessed with the main character (it's been so long since he was in focus I've honestly forgotten his name). We haven't seen the Fang actually do anything yet, but he's the reigning champion so it's safe to assume he's pretty tough.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mokichi... :(

I liked him.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The author really wanted to make sure we'd be happy when this rear end in a top hat gets killed.