Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

parallelodad posted:

Rito really reminds me of Ernest from the "Ernest goes to" series of films

And a series of notorious local broadcast television commercials!
http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/2016/09/05/laser-time-the-importance-of-loving-ernest/
Laser Time is kind of a mixed bag, but this Ernest episode is really good.

Anyway, MMPR 1-3 is ridiculously long, yeah. Season 3 is even more of an editing clusterfuck than Season 2. They're still using Zyuranger suits (and a Dairanger suit) for the Power Rangers, but the monsters and zords are from Kakuranger, now. When the Alien Rangers show up, it's probably a huge sigh of relief from the production team, because those suits are actually the Kakuranger suits, so they can use un-doctored Japanese footage again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Josh Lyman posted:

I may have only seen the first 2 seasons when they originally aired. I mostly remember the original cast.

That seems crazy to me that I was in on the ground floor and abandoned it shortly before/after the movie.
I pretty much just saw the first season back then. After that, liking Power Rangers was no longer cool (and I wasn't a fan of the Thunderzords) so I stopped watching. :saddowns:

fake edit: I wasn't paying attention to the stream for a while, why is Titanus there all of a sudden

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

And a series of notorious local broadcast television commercials!
http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/2016/09/05/laser-time-the-importance-of-loving-ernest/
Laser Time is kind of a mixed bag, but this Ernest episode is really good.

Anyway, MMPR 1-3 is ridiculously long, yeah. Season 3 is even more of an editing clusterfuck than Season 2. They're still using Zyuranger suits (and a Dairanger suit) for the Power Rangers, but the monsters and zords are from Kakuranger, now. When the Alien Rangers show up, it's probably a huge sigh of relief from the production team, because those suits are actually the Kakuranger suits, so they can use un-doctored Japanese footage again.

For all of 10 episodes unfortunately, but then they shift into Zeo and from then on there's only some light shuffling of footage and not the crazy train of MMPR

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Doc Morbid posted:

I pretty much just saw the first season back then. After that, liking Power Rangers was no longer cool (and I wasn't a fan of the Thunderzords) so I stopped watching. :saddowns:

fake edit: I wasn't paying attention to the stream for a while, why is Titanus there all of a sudden

I was a huge whore for Power Rangers up until like sometime in high school. And then a couple years later, in college, I discovered Super Sentai and Kamen Rider and became a huge whore for those :v:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Which of the other seasons should I tune in for?

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
So I stopped watching before they got to this point as a kid so now watching this season as an adult I see all the bad cuts and terrible editing. I feel so bad for these video editors.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Josh Lyman posted:

In Space is fun, but its much more serialized than other Ranger series.

Lost Galaxy and Lightspeed are good. I've heard good things about Time Force. Past that, I'm lost.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Josh Lyman posted:

Zeo's alright. Turbo kinda sucks, but it's worth catching a couple of random ones because it's pretty batshit and Divatox was the first in a succession of hot lady villains.

Tune back in for Power Rangers Time Force. It's almost a verbatim re-filming/localization of Future Sentai Timeranger, and it's really good. There's a really good subplot where the red ranger falls into a weird long-term conflict with his rich tycoon dad who runs the city's privatized security firm, and his duty as a ranger to keep ordinary people out of harm's way. They inserted a really actually interesting villain? Who starts off like a generic evil overlord type, but then you learn about his tragic past that warped his worldview? Time Force is real good.

Uh, I think Time Force might have also been the start of the trend of "some or all of the rangers also have some kinda special power in their human forms, too".

Dino Thunder is pretty alright. It has JDF/Tommy return to the series after a massive hiatus, and he shifts from being the mentor character to being a ranger again part-way through the series. Also notable for having the best American-created insert villain since Zedd- Mezogog is a real good monster suit.

Ninja Storm is fine. It's not really remarkable in any particular way, but it's not The Worst, either. Notable for having really cool ranger suits.

Power Rangers RPM is kinda middling, but it's fairly unique in latter-day Power Rangers in that they didn't try to just re-film the sentai like they do for a lot of them. It's got its own plot about battling a machine empire that's already functionally taken over the world and ended the old civilization. They would have benefited by saving that for a Go-Busters adaptation, but the joke is on us: they never made a Power Rangers out of Go-Busters :v:

Dino Charge was supposedly a pretty good handling of Kyoryuger, but I've only seen the first couple episodes, so I can't say much besides I appreciated the decision to make the Blue Ranger, who does a lot of sweet wrestling moves, into an immortal caveman from the ancient past.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

deadly_pudding posted:

Zeo's alright. Turbo kinda sucks, but it's worth catching a couple of random ones because it's pretty batshit and Divatox was the first in a succession of hot lady villains.

Turbo is a mess because the Sentai it's adapted from is already a parody of other Sentai series, but they struggled with balancing serious and goofy in the US adaptation.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So Kimberly is in love with Skull now. What a time to tune in.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Skull fuckin' nailed it too, so respectful while still charming. MY MAN.

Kimberly (stroking her hair): I HAVE TO PROTECT SKULL.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I can safely say with episodes like this and Power Ranger Punks, it makes a great deal of sense why the implication for Spike in Samurai is that Skull hooked up with Kimberly.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Honestly everything after in space was poo poo to me. Lost galaxy was ok because it kinda continues the angel grove continuity, but once that goes out the window there's no point to keep watching imo.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Turbo through Lost Galaxy is worth watching. Lightspeed Rescue is okay. Then Time Force and Wild Force has Forever Red at the very least.

Edit: Dino Thunder is apparently worth watching, but at that point I stopped watching. SPD is also worth watching. RPM has a few gems that get very meta (and two of the actors got together IRL which is :3:). Dino Charge is apparently watchable to decent.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 16, 2017

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Unknown Quantity posted:

I can safely say with episodes like this and Power Ranger Punks, it makes a great deal of sense why the implication for Spike in Samurai is that Skull hooked up with Kimberly.

I need more information.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Samurai sucks majorly, but I really like the narrative that, somewhere along the line, Bulk became a massive weeaboo and fell in love with cool swords and the Code of Bushido.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love Lightapeed rescue. It's the first time the series is like "These are adults. This is their job." Their mentor is Ron Swanson. It has the first and only American created ranger and he's awesome. Their megazord is top tier design-wise and the best combination sequence (though you only see the full sequence about twice).

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

MillennialVulcan posted:

I need more information.

There were a lot of scrapped details from Forever Red. Kat was going to show up as Tommy's wife, Eric and Wes were going to contact Trip to see if their fight changes anything in the future timeline, Tommy and Alpha 7 were going to have a scene, there were several possible rangers who would've made a heroic sacrifice in the final battle, and, most pertinently, the original script had Kimberly married to Skull, presumably having caught him on the rebound after giving Tommy his Dear John letter.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

parallelodad posted:

I love Lightapeed rescue. It's the first time the series is like "These are adults. This is their job." Their mentor is Ron Swanson. It has the first and only American created ranger and he's awesome. Their megazord is top tier design-wise and the best combination sequence (though you only see the full sequence about twice).

Too bad it was LAME

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kimberly and Skull getting married is just too :3: to not fit into my headcanon.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Unknown Quantity posted:

There were a lot of scrapped details from Forever Red. Kat was going to show up as Tommy's wife, Eric and Wes were going to contact Trip to see if their fight changes anything in the future timeline, Tommy and Alpha 7 were going to have a scene, there were several possible rangers who would've made a heroic sacrifice in the final battle, and, most pertinently, the original script had Kimberly married to Skull, presumably having caught him on the rebound after giving Tommy his Dear John letter.

Hell yeah hell yeah

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Too bad it was LAME

The cowboy chopper hotshot was not lame :colbert:

parallelodad posted:

Arguably Lost Galaxy was the one that dropped the whole "Teenagers with attitude" stuff and made them relatively proper adults with actual jobs/roles.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wtf this was... a good Christmas episode?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I had the VHS for this Christmas special

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

parallelodad posted:

Turbo is goofy as hell, but I still like their combination sequence the most, a bunch of cars smashing into each other and then hitting the brakes, making the Megazord slide up into standing position.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Xelkelvos posted:

The cowboy chopper hotshot was not lame :colbert:

Arguably Lost Galaxy was the one that dropped the whole "Teenagers with attitude" stuff and made them relatively proper adults with actual jobs/roles.

In Lost Galaxy I think they were still keeping their identities secret for some reason, but you're right they were grown ups with jobs.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MillennialVulcan posted:

Turbo is goofy as hell, but I still like their combination sequence the most, a bunch of cars smashing into each other and then hitting the brakes, making the Megazord slide up into standing position.

I love that too, but the gyrocopter crane lifting the torso onto the legs and then the top half extending it's ladder arms and pulling itself up beats it in my mind.

It is also my belief they were made from Turbo's destroyed Rescue Zords.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, they upgraded again.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Ninjor out of nowhere is the most hilarious thing.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
:siren: This series that's one now is one of the better ones of MMPR. New zords, kidnapping/jostahe intrigue, Zedd goes into the Command Center *and* fights Tommy 1v1.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Ninjor is the best. :allears:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Zedd in the house Command Center, baby.

"I don't like you, Ed."
"Its Zedd! Lord Zedd!"

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Zedd comes into the Command Center complete with his throne!! :allears:

Zedd is the goddamn best.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Zedd comes into the Command Center complete with his throne!! :allears:

Zedd is the goddamn best.

I was just going to post this, I love that it also has it's own spotlight that got turned on when it appeared.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I tune in and Tommy's agreed to pilot zords for Zedd?!

"There's always the backdoor :shepface: "

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 16, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
"There's always the back door!" :yosbutt:

E: wait, so Adam can become a giant at random?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 16, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

I was just going to post this, I love that it also has it's own spotlight that got turned on when it appeared.

Which is almost certainly the same spotlight that was used when the White Ranger was introduced?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Adam just turned into a giant??? :stare:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ohhhhh gently caress it is on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
"Are those hi-ya's really necessary?"