Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Did they make up that quote or did they get it from somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mraagvpeine posted:

Did they make up that quote or did they get it from somewhere?

TheMcD posted:

...hold the gently caress up, I just noticed. Ezekiel 25:17? Oh, now I get it.

Pulp Fiction.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Oh, I missed that. Thanks.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

NATSUHIKO'S PERSPECTIVE: 09/16/2030, 15:16

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

But by the time Natsuhiko said that-- --Watase had already lost consciousness.

Hey, c'mon! This is no time to sleep! Wake up!

But no matter how many times he tried to rouse him from his slumber, Watase did not awaken. On the contrary.

H-hey!? What's wrong!?

No response. There was clearly something wrong with him.

(What's going on!? Is it because Ms. Tachibana struck him!?)

As that thought crossed Natsuhiko's mind, he began to hear the whirring of the gigantic machine surrounding him.

When he switched it on, the reading spiked to ''13492 mSv''.

(!! That's huge!)

According to the ''WX particle amplifier'' manual, values over 8000 mSv can cause symptoms including unconsciousness.

(And it's about time for Watase's AD to wear off... If this machine's dispersing harmful particles, then could his unconsciousness and convulsions be due to that!?)

But-- if that were the case, then why was Natsuhiko okay? He didn't particularly feel a headache. His gunshot wounds hurt, but he managed to keep standing. Natsuhiko's condition had improved thanks to Watase and Kazami's treatment.

(It's far from a complete recovery... but it's not like I have to keep myself wormed into someone else's mind to stay alive anymore. On the other hand, Watase looks like he's in danger here. I gotta get him out of Area N!)

Right when he thought that, he caught sight of a certain something in the corner of his eye: A security card split in two. It was the ''Lv. N'' card that Natsuhiko had at one point that Watase had snapped.

(Can it... still be used?)

When he picked up both halves, he noticed that the part that was swiped through the slot reader was apparently still intact. He put the card fragment in his pocket, wedged his blood transfusion kit under his arm, and grabbed Watase's hand.

Khh... heave!!

He thus started dragging Watase across the floor.

(Can't go towards Area 2... Ms. Tachibana's on the other side. Areas 1 and 3 are dangerous too. We could very well run into Mr. Ukita or Jun. And Areas 4 and 5 are contaminated in their inner rings... so that narrows our options down to just Area 6.)

With that thought in mind, Natsuhiko desperately dragged Watase.

(drat he's heavy... Just how many kilos does he weigh?)

Judging by his physique, he must've been nearly 90 kg.

Ugh... ghh....!

The more strength he used, the more his entire body hurt. The gunshot wound in his arm opened up and seeped with blood. And Natsuhiko was now trying to save the one who inflicted that very wound upon him.

And once he finally reached Area 6--

--Natsuhiko collapsed on the spot, his strength shot. He'd used up what little stamina he had regained. He tried to catch his breath. His body felt too heavy to be his own. It was too much of a bother to even sit up.

(But... it should be fairly safe now that we've gotten this far away, right?)

He checked the Procyon. The reading had dropped to ''3911 mSv''. A value quite lower than what it had been when Watase had gone to Area 6 before.

(... Hmm!? Now that I think about it, that's the first time I've seen the reading decrease, isn't it?)

The readings had always been rising, but it was only after they'd come this far that he finally saw a reading decrease. He didn't know why that was, but--

(For now, I guess we should be thankful... both me and Watase.) Hey, Watase... feeling a little better now?

Right after he called out to Watase, Natsuhiko suddenly noticed something.

(Wait... If I called him casually by his first name like that, he'd definitely think it was strange.)

Natsuhiko adjusted his tone and addressed him more formally.

Captain Kasasagi, please wake up...! Can you hear me, Captain? Captain Kasasagi!

Natsuhiko kept calling out to him-- --and eventually Watase weakly began to move.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

TheMcD posted:

What... am I...?

Say what again.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's weird how Natsuhiko doesn't seem to have any problems. Is he a ghost possessing himself?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
:10bux: says BC-capable people aren't affected by the 'radiation'.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I still like how Natsuhiko woke up for his grand speech to an unconscious Watase.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Wasn't Natsuhiko's body in Area N the whole time he was riding Watase's consciousness? Heck, this radiation might even improve BC :shrug:

But bear in mind that I've been embarrassingly wrong before...

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Haifisch posted:

:20bux: says the "radiation" is Natsuhiko's own BC, BC is made up of "WX particles", Procyons detect WX particles like they do radiation, and the WX amplifier is amplifying Natsuhiko's BC and allowing him to do basically everything he did in Current.

EDIT: Did we ever see any character besides Watase experience any kind of harmful effect from the "radiation"?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

EDIT: Did we ever see any character besides Watase experience any kind of harmful effect from the "radiation"?

In one of the bad ends, you see everyone slowly staring to pass out and drop off, leaving only Watase stumbling around at the end until he too collapses.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
They mentioned the radiation was those WX Particles, which are what they dump onto BC users to turn them into Type S IGF2R gene whatevers. I want to say Natsuhiko said he turned Type S after the Case N nine years ago but I can't find the specific passage, either way it can't be that bad for him :v:

Also now that I say that, I just remembered they suspected Mashiro would turn Type S under radiation.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Danaru posted:

They mentioned the radiation was those WX Particles, which are what they dump onto BC users to turn them into Type S IGF2R gene whatevers. I want to say Natsuhiko said he turned Type S after the Case N nine years ago but I can't find the specific passage, either way it can't be that bad for him :v:

Also now that I say that, I just remembered they suspected Mashiro would turn Type S under radiation.

I can't find the passage either, but I know what you're referring to.

You're technically conflating two things - the document stated "showed no signs of genetic mutation via WX particles" in relation to Subject Y and "Ma: Level 5 -> consider irradiation test", but it's really not a huge leap to make.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

edit: nvm

eternaldough fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 14, 2017

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Watase's Perspective: 09/16/2030, 15:20

Can you hear me, Captain? Captain Kasasagi!
... Ghh... ugh...!

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

A-aren't you!?

Watase was surprised to see the one who'd woken him up.

Na-Natsu... hiko.

He'd been awoken by the same person he'd been trying to save.

Where are we...?
We're in Area 6's inner ring.
Did you bring me all the way here...?
Yeah. It looked like being in Area N was taking a toll on you, so I figured it'd be best.
I see... thank you.

His head still throbbed as always, but it wasn't anything he couldn't shake off. Watase forced a smile on his face.

I'm impressed that you brought me so far. I probably weigh a ton.
Well... I managed.
But if you open any of your wounds up--

Just then, Watase noticed something that made his blood run cold. The blood dripping to the floor from Natsuhiko's arm.

You -did- open your wounds! I have to treat you!
No, it's just a scratch--
You can't act that way! Not in your condition!

--What's more, they'd likely run into Kazami or one of the others if they stayed in the hallway. Watase lifted Natsuhiko up and dashed into a nearby room.

Then he removed the needle and reinserted it into one of Natsuhiko's veins. Last, he ripped off part of his shirt and wrapped it around Natsuhiko's arm.

I know it's just simple first aid, but... you think you'll be okay?
I-I think I'm all right.
I see... Sorry, I would have used Chiron to seal it up if I had any left...

Even so, the reopened wound appeared to be getting smaller. Watase's treatment seemed to have stopped the bleeding. Watase then tended to his own gunshot wound in his side before finally turning his full attention to Natsuhiko.

How's the transfusion going? Is the blood flowing properly?
Yeah... thanks to you, it looks like I'll be fine in that regard, at least.
Great. But let me know right away if you start feeling worse.
...Thanks.

Natsuhiko gave him a feeble answer. The weakness of his voice and the delay in his response was likely due to his injuries.

Man, those are some terrible wounds... I mean, that Salyu girl got hurt in her arm, but this is just...
Weren't you, Salyu, and that Mashiro Toba girl together at first?
...Yes.
So you got separated from them?
...Yeah. It happened when we were running around the facility, trying to get away from all those fires and explosions...
I see... It truly was a disaster. But you're safe here for now. I know you must be worried about your friends, but take a moment to rest.
Okay... though I don't think we'll be able to stay here for long. Ms. Tachibana and the others could be chasing us, after all...
Hmm, it looks like you know about our current situation, huh... How long have you been awake?
--

Natsuhiko hesitated to answer that question for a moment-- then replied in a low voice.

Just around the time you went into Area N.
Huh? You were already conscious by then?
Just barely... Anyways, I just happened to see what occurred after that. I wasn't focused on what was going on, though. I also know you lost your memories, yet still tried to save everyone in spite of that. And... I also saw Ms. Tachibana suddenly go nuts and attack you...
Yeah. As far as I know, I've got three other enemies aside from her. Old man Ukita, Moribe... and Salyu.
...So we're surrounded on all sides, aren't we.
Yeah, that's a good way of putting it. Teach's gone off who knows where, and I don't even know if Yuuri's alive or not... So with those two out of the equation, I guess that means... you might be my only ally here.
Me?
Well, yeah, you did save me.

Natsuhiko didn't answer. He just stared at Watase.

Wh-what's wrong? Did I say something weird?
No... it's nothing.

Natsuhiko muttered to himself-- then looked away from Watase.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

TELEPATHY: 09/16/2030, 15:24

(Allies, huh... I can't say I completely agree with that word-- --but Watase certainly is the one I can trust the most right now.)

--Indeed. Natsuhiko had the best seat in the house to witness the amnesiac Watase's desperate struggle. So he could attest to his reliability. Now that they were face-to-face like this, things could finally begin.

(Let's investigate each matter one at a time, including whether or not a ''monster'' exists here... First, what's the current situation? Who's friend and who's foe?)

Could Natsuhiko consider anyone else an ally besides Watase?

Those three were completely deranged. Trying to talk things out with them would likely be a fruitless endeavor.

However, there were too many mysteries surrounding Ena.

He knew next to nothing about this ''Yuuri''. The girl mysteriously appeared and mysteriously disappeared.

(Who in the world is she...?)

(I-Is that even possible...!?)

The moment that thought crossed his mind, he suddenly heard something in his head--

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

--A familiar voice.

!?

Natsuhiko gasped as the echoing voice continued inside his brain.

♪ BGM: Extra-Sensory Perception

There was no mistaking it. That was BC. And it sounded like Yuuri's voice.

{Y-Yuuri!?}
{Huh... Hikorin!?}

An attempt at telepathy on Natsuhiko's part garnered a response from Yuuri.

{Are-- are you Yuuri!? You are, aren't you!?}

{I know you might find it hard to believe, though...}
{Then is this voice your telepathy!?}
{Yeah... You see, I'm a Communicator.)

After a short, silent pause, she continued.

{... I know it doesn't make any sense coming from me when I'm supposed to have died nine years ago... ... but please... believe in me, Hikorin. You see, I'm actually still alive... And I knew you were here in this facility. This whole time, I've been thinking... if only I could see you...!}

The tone of her voice perfectly matched that of the one Yuuri used in his memories. No, it was more than just that. The emotions conveyed with her telepathy and the contents of her words-- both seemed to indicate that Yuuri was indeed the owner of that voice.

(Yuuri...!)

Various emotions ebbed and flowed within Natsuhiko's mind. He was convinced that she was no monster. There were countless things he wanted to tell her. Countless things he wanted to ask her. But Natsuhiko stayed his heart and responded.

{Of course, Yuuri... Of course I believe you. I believe anything you say. I've wanted to see you all this time, too.}
{...! Th... thank you, Hikorin.}

Her telepathy conveyed to Natsuhiko how touched she felt. So he continued as a means to give her some peace of mind.

{By the way, Yuuri, are you safe?}
{Y-yeah! I'm not hurt in particular or anything.}
{Thank goodness. So where are you now?}
{Um... I'm in a place called the ''shelter''.}
{Shelter?}
{There's a secret room in Area 5.}
{A-a secret room!?}

He was surprised for a second, but now that he thought about it, he -was- in an peculiar facility. Perhaps it wasn't such an oddity for it to have a secret room or two.

{Yuuri, please give me the details. Where exactly is that room?}
{Area 5's outer ring, B1. There should be a numeric keypad on the wall lose to the emergency staircase... If you press in 107215, the wall should open, revealing a door.}
{So that's it...!}

Now that she mentioned it, he did see something like that when he had been inside Watase's mind.

What do you think this is?

Attached to the wall was a small panel that read ''EMERGENCY''. Right below it was a keypad of sorts with ten buttons labeled from 0 to 9.

{Yeah, but... When I tried using empathy on everybody, I heard such horrid thoughts coming from them... I'm scared...!}
{Okay, Yuuri. I'll be right there, so wait for me!}

Khh...
Hmm? What's wrong?
I've gotta go...

Natsuhiko withstood the pain in his entire body and started to rise to his feet.

H-hey, hold up! Where do you think you're going!? You're severely wounded, you know? The transfusion's not even done yet. And Tachibana and the others could be lurking out there. It's too dangerous to leave this room.

Watase was right. Natsuhiko was indeed severly wounded. He could very well use up the rest of his strength trying to look for Yuuri.

(Guess that leaves me with no choice...!)

With that thought in mind, Natsuhiko looked Watase squarely in the eye.

...In that case, Captain Kasasagi... Can you bring me to where Yuuri is?
Hmm? You know her?
Yeah... she's a precious friend of mine.
I see. I'd love to bring you to her, but I don't know where she--
There's a secret shelter in Area 5's outer ring on B1. If you can't find her, that might be where she is...
A shelter!? How would you know about something like that!?
Well-- only LABO staff members know about it. Did you happen to find a place in the Area 5 hallway that had a numeric keypad?
Y-yeah, now that you mention it...
That was the shelter entrance. Yuuri and I are both children of LABO staff members, you see... so we heard about it from our parents.

Yuuri had told Watase that she was a relative of a LABO staff member. So Natsuhiko thought that Watase would buy that half-truth, but--

Wait a sec... I'm confused about a few things here.
Huh?
How'd you even know Yuuri was here in LABO in the first place? Yuuri disappeared before I found you out cold, you know? Did you guys meet up somewhere before you passed out in Area N?
That's the one thing I can't tell you for now... but please, believe me...
...But still...
I understand why you'd doubt me. But there's one thing I can say for sure-- You and I share the same desire to save Yuuri.
...So please...

Natsuhiko bowed his head down and pleaded to Watase. Watase hesitated for a while-- but he eventually nodded meekly.

...Okay. I'll believe in you.

With that affirmation, Watase carried Natsuhiko on his back. And as he held the blood transfusion kit underneath his arm, they left the room.

So we'll take a detour through Area 1. Kind of a roundabout way, but you okay with that?
Yeah. I'm counting on you.
All right. Hang on tight.

Watase walked on with Natsuhiko on his back. And as Watase carried him, Natsuhiko sent telepathy to Yuuri.

{Yuuri, can you hear me?}

An answer soon came back.

{Watase and I are heading your way.}
{Huh...!? C-Captain Kasasagi's with you too!?}
{Don't worry. Watase's our ally now.}
{Our ally...?}

Natsuhiko could feel Yuuri's surprise and bewilderment. So she really was being extremely cautious about Watase, then.

{... I don't really understand what kind of person Watase is either. I think he probably was a human filled with malice originally.}
{Y-yeah.}
{But now that Watase's lost his memory, he's become a harmless being.}
{... That's true. He's saved me several times too, after all... But why did he lose his memory? Do you have any idea, Hikorin?}
{You might not believe this-- But it's because I erased his memory.}
{!!}
{And after that, I've even been sharing his senses. Seeing his actions through his eyes. I guess I've got that sort of ability now, apparently.}
{Hikorin, you mean-- You've completely mastered the ''third ability''!?}
{W-wait, what!?}

Hearing that phrase took Natsuhiko by surprise.

{You know about the existence of the third ability too!?}
{Yeah... That explains a lot, then. I didn't even consider that possibility... but I guess I should've expected you could do it.}

Yuuri spoke as if she were talking to herself. She seemed to know a lot more than Natsuhiko did.

{... Let's save the details for when we can talk face-to-face. We're almost there.}
{Okay. I'll be waiting...}

And thus, their communication ended-- --and Natsuhiko entrusted himself to Watase's back.

Whit27
Oct 14, 2012

Wh-What do you mean that's the actual plot?!
Gotta say, I'm loving this LP. I was a big fan of Ever 17 and 999 so this sort of science/psychological mystery is right up my alley. When I was binging the previous episodes and Watase was attacking Natsuhiko, Imagine Dragon's song "Monster" kept coming to mind. I played it while reading and it fits suprisingly well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhSA9H9Iaqw

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Well, I've been reading this and just caught up.

It's long beyond the point of it mattering, but there were several instances of foreshadowing that I picked up on.

Can't find the exact pictures for it, but when they were looking at the fire report on the computers with the red dots, the core was conspicuously free of those dots.

No one else mentioned it, probably because it was overshadowed by the gun, but that Watase knew about the bomb was pretty clear foreshadowing.

Also, something else I noticed: When they left the cargo lift the first time there was an 'Um, hello?' Mashiro's still in there.

Finally, looking at that picture of the crazy Kazami in front of the door... is that her shadow? I'm not sure if that's the same hairstyle.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I don't believe it ever comes up, but I'm about 80% sure that there's a way to read that password as something approaching "Tenkawa Natsuhiko".

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Cyouni posted:

I don't believe it ever comes up, but I'm about 80% sure that there's a way to read that password as something approaching "Tenkawa Natsuhiko".

10 - ten (from English)
7 - na (from "nana")
2 - tsu (from English)
1 - hi (from "hitotsu")
5 - ko (from "go")

Close enough? :v:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

AlphaKretin posted:

10 - ten (from English)
7 - na (from "nana")
2 - tsu (from English)
1 - hi (from "hitotsu")
5 - ko (from "go")

Close enough? :v:

And here I was thinking the only numerical fun was going to be Observation Target Na2 being Na-tsu-hiko.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Friends: 09/16/2030, 15:28

Though he didn't let it show, he was suspicious about this whole situation. It was due to the boy he was carrying-- He was still uncertain if what Natsuhiko Tenkawa had told him was the truth.

(Is Yuuri really alive...?)

Of course, if that were true, then it would definitely be a cause for celebration. But how did Natsuhiko know that?

(Could this boy be hiding something? Is it really okay to take him to where Yuuri is?)

When that thought hit Watase, he tried to shake it out of his head.

(Crap, I'm starting to jump at shadows again. I know that no one trusts me... but that's exactly why I, at the very least, should trust others. Natsuhiko saved my life... and to begin with, I'm a rescue worker. I came to this place to save people. I'm not here for the sake of doubting them...!)

Watase scolded himself as he walked.

Is this it...?
Yeah. Please input the password. The wall should open up if you press 107215.

Watase input those numbers as he kept carrying Natsuhiko. And when he did--

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

Ah...!

The wall opened, revealing a narrow passage. At the other end of the passage was a sturdy-looking iron door.

...It really opened...
Please go in. Yuuri should be right through that door.
R-right.

Watase walked up to the iron door. He timidly opened it.

It was too dark to see anything clearly inside. But he could hear grunting coming from a corner of the room.

???: Mmm, mmm...!
!!

Watase gasped and turned to that direction to see--

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Yuuri!
Wha!? What happened here!?

Yuuri was lying on the floor. Her hands and feet were bound, and her mouth was gagged.

P-please just untie her for now!
Yeah!

Watase lowered Natsuhiko to the floor and rushed over to Yuuri. He then untied her bonds.

--All right, that should do it. You okay, Yuuri?

Once she said that-- her eyes suddenly welled up with tears.

*sniff*...
Wh-what's wrong!? Does it hurt somewhere?
N-no, that's not it...

Yuuri looked at Natsuhiko. He lifted his body up from the floor.

Y-Yuuri...!
Hikorin...!

In a quivering voice, Yuuri called out what seemed to be a nickname for Natsuhiko--

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

--and she jumped at him.

Ow ow ow!
Ah, I-I'm sorry!

Yuuri panicked and loosened the grip in her arms. Natsuhiko's eyes welled up with tears of pain, but he smiled nonetheless.

All that matters is that you're okay...!
I'm fine... but what about you, Hikorin?
It hurts like hell, but I'll manage... Captain Kasasagi and Ms. Tachibana patched me up.
I see... but still, thank goodness.

Watase watched their reunion with a wry smile.

(Looks like he really is Yuuri's friend...)

No, the two of them perhaps looked more like lovers than friends from the way they were acting.

I'm really glad that you're okay. I guess this is what they call a 'touching reunion'?
Y-yes...
...Thanks to you.

Watase gave them a smile, but soon looked serious again.

Huh?
What happened to you? Who tied you up?

Yuuri answered Watase's question in a frightened voice.

It was Mr. Ukita...!
The old man!?
Why would Mr. Ukita do something like that!?
Well... It didn't look like he had sinister motives or anything.
Huh?
It looked like he just wanted to keep me protected somewhere safe, after having seen that dead girl by the lift. He tied me up so that I couldn't run off on my own.
I see... but it looks like he still did it against your will.
And that also means the old man knew about this secret room the whole time, yet he kept his mouth shut about it. His actions are just way too suspicious. It's practically the definition of 'acting behind someone's back'.
Just what in the world was he after...?

Watase then suddenly remembered the time Yuuri went missing.

(Even though he was the one who actually hid Yuuri here... So does that mean-- the old man was trying to frame me!?)

So Ukita really was Watase's enemy. Regardless--

(... He'll pay for laying a hand on Yuuri. I have to keep these kids safe, no matter the cost...!)

Watase looked at Natsuhiko and Yuuri, then reaffirmed his decision.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Oh man Ukita, you done messed up. Now the Watase-mania's coming for you and not even the Undertaker will save your soul!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Oh god, my bullet wounds!
W-wait, you've been shot?!
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I mean

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Oh, something else I noticed awhile back.

TheMcD posted:

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (click me!)

Salyu was chosen by the teacher right off the bat to read out of the textbook. Once Salyu finished reading, the teacher spoke.

English Teacher: Excellent. Your pronunciation was quite beautiful. Now, can you translate it into Japanese, Ms. Sannomiya?
'People are unable to see things accurately except with the heart; the essential details cannot be seen with the eyes.'

Without love, it cannot be seen.

Whee, references to other series.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

BenRGamer posted:

Oh, something else I noticed awhile back.

Without love, it cannot be seen.

Whee, references to other series.

It's actually one of the game's many references to The Little Prince. Of course the meaning is roughly the same in both works.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

NRVNQSR posted:

It's actually one of the game's many references to The Little Prince. Of course the meaning is roughly the same in both works.

I thought The Little Prince was about how Seere stopped the giant pregnant lady from the sky from eating all the time

That sounds way loving dumber when I type it out.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hey, it's time for another...

Psychology Time with Junpei!

Alright, today's lesson is about our rescue squad members!

The Loyalist and The Challenger

Kazami:
The committed, security-oriented type. Sixes are reliable, hard-working, responsible, and trustworthy. Excellent "troubleshooters," they foresee problems and foster cooperation, but can also become defensive, evasive, and anxious—running on stress while complaining about it. They can be cautious and indecisive, but also reactive, defiant and rebellious. They typically have problems with self-doubt and suspicion.
At their Best: internally stable and self-reliant, courageously championing themselves and others.
Basic Fear: Of being without support and guidance
Basic Desire: To have security and support

Jun:
Eights are self-confident, strong, and assertive. Protective, resourceful, straight-talking, and decisive, but can also be ego-centric and domineering. Eights feel they must control their environment, especially people, sometimes becoming confrontational and intimidating. Eights typically have problems with their tempers and with allowing themselves to be vulnerable.
At their Best: self- mastering, they use their strength to improve others' lives, becoming heroic, magnanimous, and inspiring.
Basic Fear: Of being harmed or controlled by others
Basic Desire: To protect themselves (to be in control of their own life and destiny)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

AFTER PARTING: 09/16/2030, 15:31

(I'm happy to see Yuuri again... but there are some things I need clarified first.)

Natsuhiko resolved himself and sent her telepathy.

{--Professor, can you hear me? It's me, Natsuhiko Tenkawa. I'm still here in LABO. Where are you, Professor?}

He followed up with empathy-- and immediately heard Ena's mental voice.

(I got through to Prof. Tsubakiyama!)

Natsuhiko rejoiced in his mind as he made use of telepathy and empathy to try and hold a conversation with Ena.

{That's right! And I'm reading your mental voice with empathy!}
{H-hold on a second...! Nobody told me you could use empathy! Don't tell me you falsified your ability level!?}
{!!? N-no, that's not it at all! My ability's just been rapidly advancing these past few days...}

At that very moment, Natsuhiko clearly felt wariness from Ena.

{Professor, are you putting up your guard!?}

When he tried using empathy,

{... --'m not p--...!}

Ena's mental voice was coated with noise.

{P-Professor! Are you closing your heart again!?}
{--...---rry... --..--...-- --GF--... ene... --'s--...--... ...--...--...}
{Please wait! Professor! Professor!}

--Natsuhiko tried to speak to her, but he could no longer hear Ena's mental voice.

(Is there nobody we can trust...!?)

Considering how her heart was closed, perhaps it would be too dangerous to blindly trust her.

(... Guess I've got no choice. Let's not count on Prof. Tsubakiyama for now. Who else could we trust...?)

Ena was suspect, and Kazami, Jun, and Ukita were completely out of the question.

Natsuhiko focused his mind and sent telepathy to Salyu.

{Salyu, can you hear me!? Answer me if you can!}

But when he tried to use empathy--

(... Huh?)

There was no response from Salyu. She was either out of Natsuhiko's empathy range, or--

(Don't tell me... she's been knocked out this whole time after falling from the staircase!?)

He didn't think Kazami would attack her, but he felt Salyu would be in danger if she were still unconscious.

(I gotta get to Salyu quick--)

The moment that thought crossed his mind-- --he suddenly heard a voice echo in his head.

{... Natsu... hiko...}
!?

It sounded like telepathy coming from Mashiro. But she was supposed to have escaped!

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

{M-Mashiro! Why am I getting telepathy from you!? Didn't you escape!?}

{... Or am I hearing things...?}
{You're not just hearing things! It's me! I'm using telepathy! Hang in there, Mashiro! What happened!?}
{Ah... I'm sorry, my head's all hazy... Uh... you see... I... I still... haven't actually... escaped from LABO...}
{Wh... why not!? Weren't you able to escape through the cargo lift!?}
{Well... the lift did get to the surface level... But there was a wall or something... blocking the way right outside the lift... so I couldn't get out.}
{...!}

Natsuhiko's eyes widened at those words.

(Was there never an escape route to begin with!? But that's the same place we escaped through nine years ago--!)

Security apparently grew stricter since that incident.

So that meant she'd been in the lift the whole time, unable to escape outside or return to the basement...!

{O-okay, Mashiro! I'll come save you right now!}
{Yeah... thank... you...}

--Natsuhiko deeply regretted his shallow planning. Even though he thought he had no other options, what he did still failed to get Mashiro out of there in the end.

(Even worse. It looked her up all alone for hours...! I need to save her as soon as possible!)

That part could perhaps be used to repair the lift, but could Natsuhiko even get there with his body in that condition?

Yuuri, I'm sorry, but wait for me here. I'm going to go save Mashiro.
Huh?
What?

Not just Yuuri, but Watase spoke up too.

Look, Natsuhiko, I'm telling you you can't be moving about on your own. You could open your wounds and die, you know?
No, but...
No buts. I know you're worried about your friends, but calm down and think straight for a second. If you want to search for that Mashiro girl, then I'll go in your stead.

Watase spoke firmly. But what he said made sense. If Natsuhiko went to save Mashiro with his body in its current state, it could easily be double trouble. So in the end, he had no choice but to rely on Watase. Natsuhiko reluctantly asked him.

...Okay then, Captain Kasasagi. Please rescue Mashiro.
Of course. But I still don't know where she is. We've searched every corner of the facility and haven't found her.
Then have you checked inside the cargo lift?
Inside the cargo lift?

Natsuhiko tried his best to act casual in response to the dubious look Watase shot him with.

Mashiro and I got separated in the factory. If she hasn't escaped, then it's highly possible she's inside the cargo lift.
But the Commander said that 'three high school students have yet to escape'. If she escaped to the surface from the cargo lift, wouldn't the Commander have her under their protection?
No, if you think about how the bulkheads lowered above the emergency staircases-- the same could be true for the cargo lift.
Ah, I see...! Now that you mention it, you've got a point.

Watase's eyes widened as that realization hit him. Natsuhiko nodded and continued.

So even if Mashiro managed to get to the surface floors with the lift, a bulkhead could still stop her in her tracks... So it's possible that she's been left behind there this entire time.
That would explain why we haven't been able to find her so far... I can't think of any other places to look either, so I think it's worth a shot!

And then, as if he had felt a sense of hope, Watase spoke out in a cheerful voice.

All right! Then I'll try to repair the cargo lift and bring it back down here!
Please do. --Oh, right, this might come in handy...

Natsuhiko used that opportunity to bring the control panel part out of his pocket. With its torn cables and its up and down buttons.

I found this on the floor by the lift. It's probably a part of the control panel.
A part?
I tried repairing the control panel with this, but I didn't have the skills to pull it off... so I put it in my pocket and forgot about it. But I thought you might be able to fix it...
Got it. I'll use this to try and repair the lift. But then again, if I go, that'll leave the two of you completely defenseless...
True...

Natsuhiko looked around the room as he spoke.

Typing the password into that keypad would probably open up the wall outside.

Okay then, Captain Kasasagi. Can you destroy the password keypad when you get outside? If you do that, then nobody can get into this room unless we open it from the inside.
I see, that sounds like a plan. Okay, then I'll give you a signal when I'm back, so open it up for me on the inside, okay?
Understood.

Watase consented to Natsuhiko's plan and promptly exited the shelter. As Watase walked away, Yuuri called out to him.

U-um, Captain Kasasagi... thanks for everything.
Hey, c'mon, it's not over yet. I'll be back, so sit tight, you two.

And with those parting words, Watase left the shelter.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I personally don't see what can go wrong. This sounds like a solid and well thought-out plan.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Uh, Natsuhiko. I think you forgot to tell Mashiro something.

It's kind of important.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

It's somehow better than his first plan, which was to have Watase go talk to Salyu.

The dude has lost a lot of blood.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Yep, I foresee nothing wrong happening at all. This plan seems completely fool-proof.

to be fair he's lost a lot of blood but still loving hell Natsuhiko you idiot

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

It's a pity someone failed to learn from the last time the "smash the entry panel" plan was used.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
So uh just a thought, Watase nearly got his memories back/caught the NBC like a dozen times back there, and Natsuhiko mopped it up every time. Natsuhiko's not in Watase's brain zone anymore

also we've seen like... a lot of CGs of Watase pointing a gun at Natsuhiko in the various openings,

just a thought.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wait, why would you need to know a password to get out of a secure room? That seems mad suspicious.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Glazius posted:

Wait, why would you need to know a password to get out of a secure room? That seems mad suspicious.

Everything in this update is hilariously suspicious!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yuuri Kotono: 09/16/2030, 15:33

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

Hikorin, Captain Kasasagi really is our ally, huh...
Yeah, Mashiro should be safe now.

Natsuhiko looked Yuuri in the face as he spoke.

But anyway... you really are Yuuri, aren't you?

He still couldn't believe she was alive. But now that Watase was gone, he felt he had to make sure again. She smiled and answered him.

Yeah... It's me, Hikorin. I'm no phantom, nor an impostor. I'm the real Yuuri Kotono...!

Her voice, her looks, her expressions, and mannerisms were all the same as the Yuuri he knew. Yuuri held his hand and continued.

...See, Hikorin? You can feel me, can't you?
...Yeah.
A hallucination wouldn't have human warmth, right?
Right.

He could feel her warmth through her small hand. And finally, Natsuhiko was convinced.

(... She's real... Yuuri's alive...!)

And with that thought in mind, Natsuhiko felt his whole face break out into a smile. --But he couldn't stay happy for long. Natsuhiko vocalized the questions that he could by no means ignore.

I... I know it might be odd for me to ask this, but... Well... how are you alive?
!

Yuuri's face froze as soon as that last word left Natsuhiko's lips.

They were so fresh in his mind and seemed to be the true reality. And it wasn't just his memory. According to Mashiro's memory, Yuuri had died nine years as well. Natsuhiko couldn't think of a way to reconcile the contradictions.

... That's--...

After a moment of severe hesitation, Yuuri quietly answered.

...Actually, that was a lie fabricated by LABO.
--Huh?
Nine years ago, LABO announced to the world that 'Yuuri Kotono died as a result of the LABO fire'. They lied to you, and Mashiron... and my parents, the school, and the media too.
What...? Why would they do that!?
That's because this facility's been founded upon countless such lies, you see. A facility coated with lies everywhere-- that's what LABO is.

Natsuhiko was puzzled by her words.

A facility coated with lies...? What do you mean?
I'll start with the biggest lie... You may have already realized this, but-- this isn't even a nuclear power research facility to begin with. It's a BC research facility.
I knew it...!

Natsuhiko had already guessed that. But that affirmation only raised more questions.

But the entire city believes that LABO is a nuclear research facility, right? So why would they make that lie?
Because it's more convenient that everyone thinks that way. If they have the excuse that they're dealing with a nuclear reactor-- --nobody would question why their security is so strict, or why they're so strangely thorough with their information management, would they?
True... I never questioned it either.
So in other words, it was all a front. To hide what LABO was doing behind the scenes.
...So that's it.

It would only be obvious for a nuclear power research facility to be secretive about its research. So using that false identity as a front would indeed be suitable for hiding something. However--

...But in that case... What exactly is LABO hiding?

Natsuhiko posed that question out to Yuuri.

Does this facility really have a secret they'd need to go to such lengths to hide? The reason they falsified your death has something to do with it too, doesn't it?
...Yes.
Please Yuuri, tell me. What happened nine years ago? What happened to you after that fire? What have you been doing and where have you been all this time?
...Is it something you can't tell me?
N-no! Not at all, but-- ...It's too hard to explain in just a few words.
Huh?
It'll take a long time to tell you everything and I'm not confident I can put it in words... so...

Yuuri grasped Natsuhiko's hand and continued.

Dive into my mind and see it with your own eyes.
Huh?
You can dive into people's memories by now, right? So if you use that ability to see my memories, you'll understand everything.
But won't it take along time to go through nine whole years of memories...?
It'll be fine. When you watch people's memories, almost no time passes at all in the real world.

Now that she mentioned it, when he saw Mashiro's memories, he looked through them fairly leisurely compared to how little time actually passed. In that case, it certainly would be faster to watch Yuuri's memories firsthand rather than talk it out. Besides-- Natsuhiko himself wanted to know the detailed truth as soon as possible.

...Are you sure, Yuuri? Are you really okay with me peeking into your mind...?
If it's you, then yes... I'm sure it'll be an uncomfortable truth and you might start hating me for it... But I want you to know everything that I've experienced.

Yuuri softly shut her eyes. Her hands trembled slightly. --Natsuhiko didn't get why she was so afraid. He didn't understand what she meant by ''you might start hating me for it''. But he steeled himself. He swore that no matter what he learned, he would not let it agitate him.

...Okay, I'm ready now.
Go ahead.

His sight was engulfed in darkness. It was the same phenomenon that happened when he had dived into Mashiro's mind.

(These are Yuuri's memories...!)

These were the memories of various scenes she had experienced in the past. Natsuhiko gently peeked into the oldest memory...

Strap in, folks. The entire rest of my 1.5 hour long footage is going to be Yuuri's memories (barring one short book-end scene at the end). There's going to be a lot of things revealed here.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Heart of Darkness: 07/07/2021: 16:19

Automatic PA: In accordance with this emergency, security has shifted to Blockade Mode. Looking down all gates and bulkheads.

Don't cry, Yuuri! I'll do something!

--Natsuhiko found himself standing in the midst of fire.

(Is this... nine years ago...?)

Okay, so this has been pointed out in the thread before, but it's particularly pertinent now. The point of view from which we're seeing the events unfold is marked by the color of that little bar below the name in the text window. Currently, we're viewing it from the point of view of Natsuhiko, who is looking into Yuuri's memories, which is represented by this yellow color. However, we will soon switch directly to Yuuri's point of view inside the memory, which will be represented by a green color. This will be switching around as we jump from memory to memory, so some narration might seem to be a little disjointed if a switch happened and you didn't notice.

It was the day Yuuri and Natsuhiko had sneaked into LABO. Natsuhiko was watching the memory of when they were trapped in Area 5, but through Yuuri's eyes--

♪ BGM: Abyss

But the smoke and the heat had sapped Yuuri's body of its energy. Natsuhiko looked at her with tears welling in his eyes.

I'm sorry, Yuuri... it's all because I took you with me... I tried to act cool and say I'd save Mom... But I couldn't, and now I got you trapped in this mess... I'm sorry. I'm so sorry...!

It wrenched Yuuri's heart to hear those words. So she gently wiped away his tears.

...It's okay, Hikorin... It's because you're always trying your hardest, for everyone else... I loved that about you... So I'm glad... that you stayed with me... until the end.
Yuuri...!

Natsuhiko embraced Yuuri.

As her consciousness faded, only one thing remained in Yuuri's mind.

(... Please, God... I don't care... what happens to me... But if you can save at least one of us... please save Hikorin...!)

And as if in response to her prayer-- Yuuri heard a voice beside her ear.

{We're in Dr. Tenkawa's room!}

--No, it wasn't beside her ear. It sounded like it was echoing directly inside her head--

(T... telepathy? Hikorin used telepathy...?)

As her sight and hearing faded-- Yuuri heard another voice.

???: --hiko! Natsuhiko!

M-Mom...!
Thank goodness you're safe! I came here to save you! Let's take Yuuri and get out of here!

And right after she barely managed to hear the professor yelling--

------
----
--And after who knew how long--

...ri...! Yuuri...!

Yuuri woke up at the sound of her name.

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

When she opened her eyes, she saw Dr. Tenkawa.

Thank goodness. You're awake.
Huh... what...? What happened... to me...?
You don't remember? After you got caught in a fire in LABO, you were asleep for an entire day.

Yuuri looked around. She appeared to be in a hospital room, but Natsuhiko was nowhere to be seen.

Umm... where's Hikorin?

But without answering Yuuri's question, the professor asked her a question of her own.

By the way, Yuuri. I'm sorry for asking this right after you woke up, but... can I get you to take a little test with me?
A test?
We need to make sure your body hasn't developed any problems. You two were bombarded with hazardous particles, you see.

Yuuri didn't know what ''hazardous particles'' were and her head felt a little groggy-- but she answered obediently nonetheless.

Okay.

They took blood and urine samples and put her inside a giant machine to take pictures of what was inside her head. At first, Dr. Tenkawa seemed the same as usual-- but as the tests progressed, the look on her face froze over.

--Yuuri's 'IGF2R gene' is Type S...!?

Dr. Tenkawa perused the test results on a PDA as she spoke with someone who appeared to be an assistant.

That's impossible. Are you sure there's no mistake?
Assistant: W-we've redone the test several times... and it's turned out Type S each time.
No, it couldn't be...!

Yuuri, what was your BC aptitude? They've measured you in school, right?
Umm... it's 'C'.

As the professor sunk into silence, her assistant whispered into her ear.

Assistant: It's exactly as she says... All of her past examination results have recorded her IGF2R gene as Type C.

Her gene mutated!?

Even the look on the assistant's face changed when she said that last word.

Y-Yuuri! Can you try using telepathy for me!?
Huh? But I haven't been able to use telepathy yet--
That's what I thought, but please, try! Focus on something you want to tell me. Anything!

It was hard to think of something on the spot like that-- but Yuuri did as she was told.

(I've never used telepathy before, but... Um... Let's see...)

The professor audibly gasped. And at the same time, Yuuri felt something strange as well. It felt completely different from all the times she had tried and failed to use telepathy before. --It was almost like the thought she had weaved inside her head had spewed out--

...Yuuri, you're worried about Natsuhiko, aren't you...
Ah... y-yeah.

The professor responded to Yuuri's question. The question she only thought of inside her head.

...Okay, then. Now I'll think of the answer to your question inside my head. Use BC to try and read that answer.
Huh? But isn't that empathy...?
Please, just try it.
(B-but why? I can't pull that off... Mashiron said hardly any kids out there can use empathy...)

But even so, Yuuri focused hard to try and read the professor's mind. And soon enough-- Yuuri heard a voice echoing inside her head.

This time Yuuri was surprised for sure. The professor hadn't moved her mouth at all. And yet Yuuri heard her voice--!!

(Her mental voice...!)

Yuuri relayed what she heard from that voice back to the professor.

H... Hikorin's... sleeping?
...!! ...That's right. That's exactly right.

The assistant spoke up mere moments after the professor had just barely managed to wring those words out.

Assistant: P-professor, could this be...?
It's hard to believe... but it appears she's rapidly begun to demonstrate use of both telepathy and empathy. There's no room for doubt here... She's an Acquired Rank S Aptitude Communicator.
Assistant: B-but how did this happen!?
During the accident, the WX particle energy in Area 5 reached a maximum of 9500 mSv-- --which damaged her gene and caused it to reconstruct itself to best suit its environment. But I never expected a theoretical phenomenon like that to be realized in such a fashion.
Assistant: Then do you mean-- the same happened to the boy that was with her!?
I cannot rule out that possibility...!

The professor looked at Yuuri and spoke in a low voice.

I'm sorry, Yuuri, but please wait in this room for a little while. I need to go do some tests with Natsuhiko too.
Um... was something wrong?
...Normally, I'd say these were good results, but... Anyway, I'll be back soon.

And with that, Dr. Tenkawa and her assistant left the room.

Left all alone, Yuuri suddenly felt scared. Even an easygoing person like her could tell... that things were about to get out of hand somehow...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So whatever radiation Yuuri was bombarded with acted as some sort of BC power booster?

• Locked thread