Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ten Wasted Dollars
Oct 24, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

I turned it off after Katherine became pink ranger, because I have to do other things and I remember this being a not so great period, but anyway...

A new viewer's guide to Katherine:

MMPR S3: Fine. She's mostly filling the action girl role in fight sequences and buddying around with Aisha. Not too much time goes by before everyone becomes kids anyway.

Zeo: Katherine becomes Tommy's de-facto love interest, which annoys fans who were invested in Tommy/Kim because even if AJJ isn't realistically coming back to the show again they could at least chill out a little, or use Adam instead? Anything but what actually happens, which is Katherine screaming for Tommy repeatedly like a damsel in distress, and visions of a future where they're an old couple with children who are rangers themselves oh GAWD.

Turbo: The script now seems to be pushing her and kiddie ranger Justin together as a unit, in this awkward motherly angle. People on IRC were bitching about this back in the day. "What's next, breastfeeding?"

Nothing against Catherine Sutherland, who gets through it as best as she can, but man oh man did the producers make me glad to meet Cassie. It feels like a lot of the positive messaging from ye olden days of Kim and Trini are lost once Kat is reduced to Tommy's Morphing Girlfriend Who Is In Danger A Lot.

Yeah but she's hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I missed so much of these shows when they were originally aired that I had to watch reruns the following summer to catch up. I knew how to tape shows on the VCR, but it was the fact that I was a nine-year-old that wouldn't remember to do it or it was a fight over the VCR so my mother could tape Days of Our Lives. I swear, I saw maybe two episodes of season three on TV and had to settle with reading about it all on Geocities-hosted fan sites in 1996 when my family got Internet.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Didn't they move to Saturday mornings by In Space or Lost Galaxy? I remember the wonderful days of Saturday morning cartoons and watching Beetleborgs and Power Rangers on Saturdays. Fox was the poo poo back in the day.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

I turned it off after Katherine became pink ranger, because I have to do other things and I remember this being a not so great period, but anyway...

A new viewer's guide to Katherine:

MMPR S3: Fine. She's mostly filling the action girl role in fight sequences and buddying around with Aisha. Not too much time goes by before everyone becomes kids anyway.

Zeo: Katherine becomes Tommy's de-facto love interest, which annoys fans who were invested in Tommy/Kim because even if AJJ isn't realistically coming back to the show again they could at least chill out a little, or use Adam instead? Anything but what actually happens, which is Katherine screaming for Tommy repeatedly like a damsel in distress, and visions of a future where they're an old couple with children who are rangers themselves oh GAWD.

Turbo: The script now seems to be pushing her and kiddie ranger Justin together as a unit, in this awkward motherly angle. People on IRC were bitching about this back in the day. "What's next, breastfeeding?"

Nothing against Catherine Sutherland, who gets through it as best as she can, but man oh man did the producers make me glad to meet Cassie. It feels like a lot of the positive messaging from ye olden days of Kim and Trini are lost once Kat is reduced to Tommy's Morphing Girlfriend Who Is In Danger A Lot.

To be fair, the writing had gotten lazy in this regard back in S2. Once they ran out of Zyuranger footage of Mei being awesome and doing cool poo poo, they basically said "Kimberly needs something to do, so let's make all of her characterization about her relationship with Tommy". So the girl that was the first Ranger to solo kill a monster became completely incapable of not tripping all over herself without Tommy's help.

I love Tommy and Kimberly together, but AJJ saw that she'd stagnate in this role and left while she was still popular for a reason.

I remember being completely blindsided by the transition from Kimberly to Kat, and then being doubly pissed that they put 0 effort into the transition from Aisha to Tanya. I like Tanya a lot, but what they did to Karan Ashley was trash.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MisterBibs posted:

I can't remember which is viscerally worse, the MMPR ending, or the Turbo one.

The MMPR ending is WHAT THE gently caress JUST HAPPENED and the heartbreaking thing is Alpha sounding like he knows he's going to die and begging Zordon for an answer. The usual command room goes down in sparklers and that's that.

The Turbo end is a lengthy siege, with the rangers throwing everything they have at a whole monster army up the hillside to the command center, barricading the doors and watching them getting bashed in, fighting throughout the command center set and eventually deciding to just surrender the building and flee. It is more visually more exciting though less emotional than the first time.

Morby posted:

I remember being completely blindsided by the transition from Kimberly to Kat, and then being doubly pissed that they put 0 effort into the transition from Aisha to Tanya. I like Tanya a lot, but what they did to Karan Ashley was trash.

They must have begun running out of contracts and not caring. I remember being disappointed by Ernie never getting a proper send-off, but figured what happened because the guy wasn't looking good after season 2. The rest of the school cast just... disappeared.

Okay I turned the stream back on. I always thought it was funny when Vile actually takes over the world it turns out that what they wanted to do all this time was... hold a ball at the juice bar.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 16, 2017

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

They must have begun running out of contracts and not caring. I remember being disappointed by Ernie never getting a proper send-off, but figured what happened because the guy wasn't looking good after season 2. The rest of the school cast just... disappeared.

IIRC, they basically just gave no fucks. In an interview Karen Ashley said she told the writers and staff way in advance that she wouldn't be returning for Zeo. She was either lead to believe or assumed that they would treat Aisha the way they did Kimberly and, welp! They clearly didn't.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Was Ninjor the first gay character on kids' tv?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pinterest Mom posted:

Was Ninjor the first gay character on kids' tv?

That was Richie and Curtis.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Morby posted:

IIRC, they basically just gave no fucks. In an interview Karen Ashley said she told the writers and staff way in advance that she wouldn't be returning for Zeo. She was either lead to believe or assumed that they would treat Aisha the way they did Kimberly and, welp! They clearly didn't.

I would bet that by that time they had steeled themselves to the fact that the show would have a rotating cast, and that nobody would get Special Sendoffs.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I forgot Kat was a cat and also Australian

E: are they streaming the movie

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought the send off for Aisha as a character was actually decent. Even though it's just a child actor, she did some good cry acting and all the characters telling her through the viewing globe that they loved her and would miss her was better than what the Peace Conference Trio got, better than Rocky or Billy, and arguably better than Tommy, Kat, Adam, and Tanya.

It was a terrible send off for Karan Ashley though.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Crip walkin LOL i love the chat

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The REAL Goobusters posted:

E: are they streaming the movie

Fox owns the movie rights, at least for the first one, and I believe the second one as well.

The first movie was an excuse to sell toys. The second movie was just an extra large TV episode that got a slightly higher budget by getting a film deal (and Saban could take the effects and improved CGI for things like teleporting to the Turbo TV show afterward.)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Its all good the movie is on HBO Go I think as well as Turbo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I have to say this US footage isn't as balls-to-the-wall amazing as the sentai footage. Way less reverse-jumping off of cliffs and wirework.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Oh poo poo thats the megazord from the movie. I completely forgot about all of this poo poo lmao

E: first movie owns because of the amazing soundtrack. The first scene when they're base jumping off the plane and then roller blading set to red hot chili peppers is amazing

E2: HOLY poo poo TITANUS LMAOOO and then they just combine it with toys hahahahaha

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 16, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So, like, they just noticed they could fit the ninja house megazord in the titanus space and ran with it?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So, like, they just noticed they could fit the ninja house megazord in the titanus space and ran with it?

Yup. It was effective, too, because I desperately wanted both toys.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I completely blocked out this glitter armor from my mind lmao

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The reverse time turned that dog into a different breed

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What's interesting is Master Vile just resurrected a lot of dead old people, and the Power Rangers are going to have to kill them.

Master Vile scared the poo poo out of my kid btw. He was fine with everything else but anytime he's on screen my kid jets outta the room.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
No not the abandoned warehouses! Anything but those!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Whoever dubbed Rito is having the time of their lives. "And awaaayyy we go!"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Things I've been experiencing at work (I work with kids) thanks to this marathon:

- "You know Power Rangers?""
-" Power Rangers existed when you were little?"
- "Can we see Your Power Rangers?"
- About a billion talks between the kids if {MMPR Ranger} could beat up {Some Ranger I don't know}
- A five year old boy who so intensely crushed on AJJ that he practically hides and peaks when she's on screen
- "Can we watch Your Power Rangers now?" (every 3-5 nanoseconds)
- Anger at Zordon for letting Jason/Zack/Trini/Kimberly leave

What have I done?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I want to see the scene where Zordon on tells a ranger they AREN'T allowed to leave, and that this is for life.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

These kids are better at fighting Tenga than adult rangers. Amazing.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

These kids are better at fighting Tenga than adult rangers. Amazing.

Home Alone tactics are overpowered.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Things I've been experiencing at work (I work with kids) thanks to this marathon:

- "You know Power Rangers?""
-" Power Rangers existed when you were little?"
- "Can we see Your Power Rangers?"
- About a billion talks between the kids if {MMPR Ranger} could beat up {Some Ranger I don't know}
- A five year old boy who so intensely crushed on AJJ that he practically hides and peaks when she's on screen
- "Can we watch Your Power Rangers now?" (every 3-5 nanoseconds)
- Anger at Zordon for letting Jason/Zack/Trini/Kimberly leave

What have I done?

you a real one for this (and a monster, those poor kids)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

drat, I have to go look at a house. No way I'll make it home in time for the start of Zeo.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

parallelodad posted:

drat, I have to go look at a house. No way I'll make it home in time for the start of Zeo.

Good news if they keep breaking the stream you probably will be!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
That reminds me to ask, how are they actually streaming this? Like, one big video? Set up to just load PowerRangersSXEX2.mpg after PowerRangersSXEX1.mpg?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MisterBibs posted:

That reminds me to ask, how are they actually streaming this? Like, one big video? Set up to just load PowerRangersSXEX2.mpg after PowerRangersSXEX1.mpg?
Considering how they've broken the stream and replayed whole/sections of episodes, probbaly a playlist.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

That's how it seams because other than the two movie adverts and the 3 rerun clips they keep playing over and over there are no breaks between episodes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The interesting thing with Rito is that he is Goldar on steroids.

He starts out actually menacing and evil, with a really good goddamn voice.

By the end of it he is just a big doofus and moron who is a bigger liability to the villains than the Rangers

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Rocky would be the kid to have a rat tail.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In the end though Goldar is the one who drops the dang Zeo Crystal.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Aliens have arrived!!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
"So I failed? So what? Master Vile is here to stay!"

[Leaves after two monster deaths and one semi-successful plan]

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Who could possibly forget Aurico, Delphine, Cestro, Tideus, and the other one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Rocky would be the kid to have a rat tail.

Kid Rocky has to be the most aggressively 90s thing I've ever seen, and it is glorious.