Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My son has gotten really into sonic boom on Hulu so I've caught a few episodes and they're actually pretty decent. Lots of jokes for the adults as well as goofy callbacks to the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Heran Bago posted:

The SMS versions are much better, including the fan port of Sonic Triple Trouble.

I kind of see the appeal but I don't enjoy the 8-bit Sonics. At least they're not too difficult.

That's the point. All must suffer as we, the elect, have suffered.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
hey

Sonic Triple Trouble is

passable

Look it has Nack in it

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do you have this uploaded to YouTube? If not, you should

I have pretty poor upload speed and still haven't figured out a good bitrate+resolution to make it not look like rear end on stream. I should probably just record locally. Here's that attempt.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My son has gotten really into sonic boom on Hulu so I've caught a few episodes and they're actually pretty decent. Lots of jokes for the adults as well as goofy callbacks to the games.

I've heard that the show is the best part of the sub-franchise... not that that's saying much.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So in the NWR interview with Webber he says "...It's got stuff from Sonic 1, from Sonic 2, from Sonic 3 and from Sonic & Knuckles... It's got references to Sonic CD, maybe even Knuckles Chaotix..."

Unless he's implying a chaotix level I guess no levels from Cd in mania :( (or he hasn't seen)

On the other hand he confirmed all classic zones have act 1 referencing act 1, but then act 2 will be new. So really most of the game will be new stuff. Assuming the 20 acts estimate, you'll have 6 old acts and 14 new. I'm imagining the later game act 1s won't be as overhauled as the GHZ take, but still, the game looks to be 75% or more new content.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 4, 2018

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

I've heard that the show is the best part of the sub-franchise... not that that's saying much.

Tbh I think the boom cartoon is very hit or miss. Sometimes it'll do a genuinely funny/clever joke, while other times it won't stick the landing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Every joke with Knuckles is painful. I don't get why people like him. People were angry for years that Sega was making him too stupid, and then this stuff comes out where he can't tell left from right or even count and suddenly it's the funniest poo poo ever.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Also in the interview Webber mentions they'll discuss pricing "in the coming months" and argggh don't tell me this game is coming out in June I will be so sad.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

TFRazorsaw posted:

Every joke with Knuckles is painful. I don't get why people like him. People were angry for years that Sega was making him too stupid, and then this stuff comes out where he can't tell left from right or even count and suddenly it's the funniest poo poo ever.

Knuckles has been an idiot in every generation so I'm not sure where this anger is coming from. Tricked by Robotnik in Sonic 3, AND in Sonic Adventure.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Knuckles has been an idiot in every generation so I'm not sure where this anger is coming from. Tricked by Robotnik in Sonic 3, AND in Sonic Adventure.

There's being gullible, and there's "stupidity is the only defining element of his character". And he was dumb, but not "every word out of his mouth is a confused non-sequitur" dumb.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

TFRazorsaw posted:

There's being gullible, and there's "stupidity is the only defining element of his character". And he was dumb, but not "every word out of his mouth is a confused non-sequitur" dumb.

At least he don't chuckle.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
I hear he's also particularly strong.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TFRazorsaw posted:

Well if people like him dumb, like I remember a while back someone posting a page from the comic that had Knuckles' memories portrayed as a child's drawing and everyone was into it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
That's a one off comedic bit in a series of specials that's light hearted by design where he does other things. Not to mention, the primary joke is that Knuckles is short sighted and foolish, not simple.

You seem to think I'm against him being portrayed as unintelligent at all. That's not the case. The issue is that Boom Knuckles is nothing but this one joke, and that many of said jokes cross over into the realm of mocking the developmentally unintelligent (can't tell left from right, can't read, has trouble counting, poor sense of reality in general) as opposed to a character flaw where he has poor judgement like in the Archie comics, Sonic X, or the main series.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Were we getting the release date today?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
it's me, i'm the one troubled by the inconsistent characterisation of knuckles the echidna

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Frankston posted:

I don't know, but we are getting some stuff about Mania and Sonic 2017 at their SXSW panel, which is at 6PM EST I believe?

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
knuckles was better when he was still a mole

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Frankston posted:

That was the rumor but sorry to say interviews implied otherwise at PAX, so probably not. Seemed to imply it's out late may / june.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

hey

Sonic Triple Trouble is

passable

Look it has Nack in it

I liked Tails Adventure but I'm also a broken human being so

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Chieves posted:

I liked Tails Adventure but I'm also a broken human being so

Tails Adventure is a legit good game. If you only play one Game Gear/Master System game than I'd say that one.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wheres sonic mania.......

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.twitch.tv/tssznews these guys are streaming the panel. if you hate the quality of this the official channel will have a recap put up in like an hour. but i need this now

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Aaaaaand release date is now Summer 2017 :smith:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

sonic mania is never coming out

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
flying battery confirmed for sonic mania

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Flying Battery is cool but wake me up when they bring back Ice Cap

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
Project 2017 is called "Sonic Forces"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Xad posted:

Project 2017 is called "Sonic Forces"

lol

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Xad posted:

at least now I have time to find a Switch before it comes out.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Xad posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

gently caress

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/sonic_show/status/842507963017416705/photo/

they're doing it, they're actually leaning into Ow The Edge again.

But, this might actually be the exact perfect time to do that.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i need edgey sonic more than anything in my life.

the gameplay they showed looked real good. as if there was any doubt they confirmed that the classic sonic gameplay from generations was going to return as well. curious what the third gameplay style they mentioned will be though. And most importantly they confirmed that the game's theme song is going to have vocals THank God. its been too drat long since the last one

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Here's some terrible off-screen quality recording
https://twitter.com/Balvinsanity/status/842512173922422788

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's a one off comedic bit in a series of specials that's light hearted by design where he does other things. Not to mention, the primary joke is that Knuckles is short sighted and foolish, not simple.

You seem to think I'm against him being portrayed as unintelligent at all. That's not the case. The issue is that Boom Knuckles is nothing but this one joke, and that many of said jokes cross over into the realm of mocking the developmentally unintelligent (can't tell left from right, can't read, has trouble counting, poor sense of reality in general) as opposed to a character flaw where he has poor judgement like in the Archie comics, Sonic X, or the main series.

It's a different character, settle down beavis

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Sonic Forces itself on you this 201x

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Forces is a Generations clone, then. Ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Augus posted:

Forces is a Generations clone, then. Ok.

why can't games be new with literally every iteration