Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Peace Walker is the poo poo. Seriously the next best MGS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
the new mass effect looks kind of bad. animations are hosed up and the voice acting is pretty lovely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGs-pLmDd1s

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Mike-o posted:

I played the gently caress out of MGS2 when it came out and somehow love it in spite of the poo poo controls. I don't think I'd touch it if I'd never tried it before and someone tried to get me to play it right now.

there are a lot of really iconic play station/ps2 games that I could never get into because of incredibly poo poo control schemes. It's all weird and clunky fixed camera bullshit.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 16, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

the new mass effect looks kind of bad. animations are hosed up and the voice acting is pretty lovely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGs-pLmDd1s

LA la la la la I can't hear you

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
the environments look real pretty tho v:shobon:v

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm going to be slutted if it's poo poo since I never preorder games

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
everything about whats happening in this scene is real questionable, but especially from 1:40-1:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqVsNOqMWyA&t=100s

:stonk:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Jesus. Assassin's Creed has had better than that. Not that janky facial animations haven't been a staple of Mass Effect so far, but you'd think they'd put more effort into the ones that aren't... Whatever the Shepard is now. Especially coming off the heels of a game like Horizon which has really believable character and facial animation for the most part. One would have thought that they'd have at least figured out the weird stilted animations during dialogue. "Here I am in my neutral pose, now I am in my inquisitive pose, now I am in my neutral pose."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

OK just finished torment and I don't know that I think it's quite as good as the original but it's a drat fine game and well worth playing.

I bought it at full price because I'm dumb, but you won't regret picking it up.

Steam reckons I put 26 hours into it so it's a decent length too, and I didn't get a lot of the samey repetitive filler bullshit content.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 16, 2017

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

everything about whats happening in this scene is real questionable, but especially from 1:40-1:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqVsNOqMWyA&t=100s

:stonk:

LOL the faces actually look worse than the original

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I like how the Mass Effect series has gradually dropped everything that made it unique and cool. First it was the exploration and puzzles. Then, the combat mechanics (gotta reload those space guns that never need reloading!), ammo upgrades and armor options. Next, the impact of your ethical choices. Now, at last, the dialog and interesting characters.

I look forward to the next game, where you run forward in a straight line while holding down the multipurpose hack/shoot/win button.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

gently caress. Now I'm really starting to question if I should cancel my preorder or not. That poo poo is awful.

EDIT:
https://twitter.com/truongasm/status/842138336764416000

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 16, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I really really hope they haven't fallen prey to the thing where a game/movie/show becomes more and more popular until its mainstream so the people in charge for mass appeal instead of staying true to its roots

Mass effect and zelda are my fiance's two favorite series. She hates open world games though, so if mass effect sucks she's gonna be sad.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

gently caress. Now I'm really starting to question if I should cancel my preorder or not. That poo poo is awful.

EDIT:

They look like ventriloquist dummies.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

They look like ventriloquist dummies.

yeah its looks like something made in gary's mod.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why preorder ME: A? I don't think it even comes with any significant bonuses.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

why would you preorder games in 2017

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Best Buy had a spend 100, get 25 taken off your order promo back in January. I bought a $50 PSN card and pre-ordered Mass Effect to take advantage of the promo. Though now, I could cancel it and I'd get to keep the discount.

Other than that, the only other game I've preordered over the past few years was Civ VI, so I could get the collector's edition.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I used to pre-order Command and Conquer games because Tiberan Sun and RA2 came with free poo poo

That was also before online ordering was a big thing and Electronics Boutique and Babbage's were still around

shyduck fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 16, 2017

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Reverand maynard posted:

I really really hope they haven't fallen prey to the thing where a game/movie/show becomes more and more popular until its mainstream so the people in charge for mass appeal instead of staying true to its roots

Mass effect and zelda are my fiance's two favorite series. She hates open world games though, so if mass effect sucks she's gonna be sad.

That's what ruined the third game. The majority of writing decisions had to pass a gaggle of idiots that where more focused on "OMG WHO IS SHIPPING WHICH CHARACTER WITH WHO DO YOU WANT TO READ MY SPACE WAIFU TALI-CHAN SLASH FIC??? XD" garbage than actual plot and player agency.

Considering one of your squad mates is introduced as quirky space waifu bait, I don't think anything's changed.

I watched a little bit of the multiplayer, the only good part of 3 and hopefully good again, but nah. Basic cannon fodder enemies are bullet sponges that need an entire mag to drop.

What a shitshow.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I didn't play the series until a few years after the second one was released. First was okay and the second I never finished because I didn't want to spend half the game gathering a crew, again, and I didn't give a poo poo about the new characters (garrus is the only 💯 crew member). So from the outside looking in, I've always felt like it's only been so well received because it was the only game in town doing the whole space opera thing and, waifu bioware writing. Not trying to be an elitist- i guess it just never clicked for me

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Handsome Ralph posted:

EDIT:

I canceled mine until some lengthy reviews come out. I don't expect my video games to be the sharpest written poo poo ever. I understand that for a gigantic game, quality won't remain high throughout. I expect basic competency. This is hokey as hell.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
witcher 3 has poisoned the well for anything that isnt written, acted and animated with some modicum of competency. the new mass effect is a big budget character driven rpg, and that example is from very early in the main questline, ie poo poo that should be top notch. its a fuckin joke man

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Blood and Wine is my benchmark for DLC now. I would have bought that as a stand alone game.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I still haven't gotten around to Blood and Wine. I got through Hearts of Stone but then started another play through. Hearts of Stone was really good.

gently caress that game is big. I do a couple of hours a day just rolling through and chopping up monsters, do a couple of quests, and look, barely made a dent.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

like with bioware games theres kind of an understanding that they're gonna be a bit cheesy and not soul stirring stuff, but gently caress me dead that's terrible

oh well i'm going full retard and just paid for the early access so i can see if the multi's any good

you can cancel within thirty days and

OH gently caress ME THE FIRST MESSAGE IS YOUR CHOICES CAN HAVE LASTING CONSEQUENCES

THEY HAVEN'T LEARNT A loving THING

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

more like you haven't learned a thing lol :homebrew:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

more like you haven't learned a thing lol :homebrew:

yeah this hahah

you can get a refund on the EA access if you cancel within thirty days and it's early enough now that i can cancel my preorder too

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If the multiplayer is anywhere near as good as 3 then I'll play the gently caress out of it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

not caring here posted:

If the multiplayer is anywhere near as good as 3 then I'll play the gently caress out of it.

that's why i sprung for early access

i'll hammer it today and post my opinions tonight

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

witcher 3 has poisoned the well for anything that isnt written, acted and animated with some modicum of competency. the new mass effect is a big budget character driven rpg, and that example is from very early in the main questline, ie poo poo that should be top notch. its a fuckin joke man

:same: Witcher 3 is also the first game I've played in loving forever where I genuinely wanted to do the side missions

I generally assume everything is terrible so as to avoid disappointment, but goddamn I can't help but be excited about Cyberpunk 2077

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

FastestGunAlive posted:

I didn't play the series until a few years after the second one was released. First was okay and the second I never finished because I didn't want to spend half the game gathering a crew, again, and I didn't give a poo poo about the new characters (garrus is the only 💯 crew member). So from the outside looking in, I've always felt like it's only been so well received because it was the only game in town doing the whole space opera thing and, waifu bioware writing. Not trying to be an elitist- i guess it just never clicked for me

If you don't have Garrus on your team in every mission, you're playing it wrong.

Mass Effect 1 was so fundamentally different from 2 and 3 in its scope, I always felt that they used all the good ideas and then fell back on bad character drama and sci-fi cliche. I really liked how the original didn't have reloadable weapons, and how you actually explored uncharted worlds, and how the main quest worlds generally had multiple ways to complete an objective. You were the first human to really kick rear end and take names in a galaxy run by aliens, while trying not to embarrass humanity too much. Teammates died on your orders, and there was nothing you could do to stop it. Even the things that people complained about took some basic level of player skill. Trying to defuse a ticking bomb by playing frogger was something I'll always remember about that drat game. ME1 felt new and ambitious and it stood apart from every other shooter and RPG on the market, so I think that was enough to excuse its mechanical shortcomings.

2 and 3 just turned into linear cover shooters, right down to the guns with pitifully low ammo (excuse me, *heat sinks*). The hacking mechanic turned into "hold down the hack button for three seconds and the door will unlock." Everybody acted like humans had been running around in the galaxy for centuries - instead of literally 25 years - and every alien in the galaxy seemed to have a bunch of lifelong human friends. And, of course, the female characters now went into battle dressed like strippers, for reasons.

The ME1 -> 2 -> 3 progression almost mirrors Dragon Age Origins -> 2 -> Inquisition. All style and no substance. And now Andromeda doesn't even have style. I mean, jeez, that Twitter video from Handsome Ralph. Man. ME1 is one of my favorite games, and I replay it every couple years. I was really hoping for more out of Andromeda.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

agreed

don't pay a studio full price for this loving garbage heap.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I absolutely loved ME1 and everything that came with it. I was a little disappointed by how they scaled back 2's RPG mechanics, but the story made up for it and it was still a really fun game.

3 wasn't bad, it was just forgettable.

If this ends up being meh, I'll just return it without opening it and focus on replaying through the original trilogy instead.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Arc Light posted:

If you don't have Garrus on your team in every mission, you're playing it wrong.

Weird way to spell Thane and Zaeed you got there

Also Blood and Wine is amazing just for the wedding sequence and Geralt strutting around in his dude robe alone.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

Weird way to spell Thane and Zaeed you got there

Also Blood and Wine is amazing just for the wedding sequence and Geralt strutting around in his dude robe alone.

My boy Grunt wants a word

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

For real, ME2 was always Grunt + Miranda for me, both for Krogan shotgunning and dat rear end. (Side note it's hilarious to me that if you GIS "Miranda dat rear end," exactly what you'd expect comes up.)

ME3's real flaw was no Krogan teammate outside of the Citadel DLC.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Male Shep, Garrus and Wrex. Bros before ho's, bros forever.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
just lol if you didn't femshep :colbert:

those ME:A videos are... disconcerting :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

just lol if you didn't femshep :colbert:

100% agree, renegade vanguard femshep 4 lyfe.