Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Hate-Senpai posted:

Naruto's circumstances were really weird cause it's like...

He's the son of the 4th Hokage, a respected dude, and then the 3rd Hokage just let Naruto grow up in abject poverty surviving on ramen and curdled milk and suffering the scorn of the villagers for.... no good reason.

He wanted to follow Ging's footsteps on how to raise a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dexo posted:

Yeah. Sai was brought up in Root. he has no emotions. And ended up with Ino because when he was reading his books on emotions and working on them she would conveniently be the one that he said the really sweet thing to.

ino liked handsome guys, but as she wasn't crazy sasuke's bullshit was too much for her to handle. post-time skip she mostly pretended to still care about sasuke for sakura's sake. sai was handsome and as someone raised as a disposable assassin with no understanding of human emotion he was obviously a much more pleasant person with much less baggage when compared to sasuke.

ino got over the crush from when she was 12 years old and managed to have a decent life.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Alder posted:

He wanted to follow Ging's footsteps on how to raise a child.

ging dumped his kid, but he dumped his kid on a caring, responsible foster parent. taking gon to mito was probably the best decision he ever made.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ino liked handsome guys, but as she wasn't crazy sasuke's bullshit was too much for her to handle. post-time skip she mostly pretended to still care about sasuke for sakura's sake. sai was handsome and as someone raised as a disposable assassin with no understanding of human emotion he was obviously a much more pleasant person with much less baggage when compared to sasuke.

ino got over the crush from when she was 12 years old and managed to have a decent life.

Hey Sakura's persistence paid off. With the only side effect being her kid thinking that her actual mom is a side chick.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dexo posted:

Hey Sakura's persistence paid off. With the only side effect being her kid thinking that her actual mom is a side chick.

her husband abandoned her and she is prone to uncontrollable destructive fits of rage.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

her husband abandoned her and she is prone to uncontrollable destructive fits of rage.

He didn't abandon her he's just totally really busy at work. It's really all Naruto's fault Sasuke keeps going on missions to investigate the moon people. I'm sure Sasuke would love nothing more than living with Sakura and his kid day in and day out...

And in Sakura's defense I've seen parents get angry at kids and like slam their hands on a counter or something. They just aren't strong enough to destroy a house.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sasuke definitely has at least one other family

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dexo posted:

He didn't abandon her he's just totally really busy at work. It's really all Naruto's fault Sasuke keeps going on missions to investigate the moon people. I'm sure Sasuke would love nothing more than living with Sakura and his kid day in and day out...

And in Sakura's defense I've seen parents get angry at kids and like slam their hands on a counter or something. They just aren't strong enough to destroy a house.

Naruto keeps Sasuke away because he still he has sights on Sakura.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sasuke keeps sasuke away and naruto makes excuses for him the same way he did for most of the manga. sasuke doesn't feel comfortable in konoha and he doesn't particularly like his wife. sasuke is a ninja. if he wanted to see his family but not the rest of the village, he was absolutely capable of sneaking in unnoticed every once in a while. instead, he spent years away without even a letter. but hey, it was all for the best since it allowed salad to grow up sane.

the funniest part is that sasuke is perfectly willing to keep in touch with at least two other obsessive stalkers (naruto and karin), but his wife still gets the cold shoulder.

really though, it has nothing to do with consistent character motivations and everything to do with kishi's (completely understandable) fixation on absentee fathers.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ging dumped his kid, but he dumped his kid on a caring, responsible foster parent. taking gon to mito was probably the best decision he ever made.

No, it was creating Greed Island so we could have a cool video game and training arc for Gon.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

sasuke keeps sasuke away and naruto makes excuses for him the same way he did for most of the manga. sasuke doesn't feel comfortable in konoha and he doesn't particularly like his wife. sasuke is a ninja. if he wanted to see his family but not the rest of the village, he was absolutely capable of sneaking in unnoticed every once in a while. instead, he spent years away without even a letter. but hey, it was all for the best since it allowed salad to grow up sane.

the funniest part is that sasuke is perfectly willing to keep in touch with at least two other obsessive stalkers (naruto and karin), but his wife still gets the cold shoulder.

really though, it has nothing to do with consistent character motivations and everything to do with kishi's (completely understandable) fixation on absentee fathers.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Left to right, shaking my head.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
wow I totally forgot about Danzo

anyway tanjiro is just a better kid than all of the above

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

wow I totally forgot about Danzo

anyway tanjiro is just a better kid than all of the above

agreed. he is a good boy and i wish him well.

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
His defining characteristic is being kind, the swordsman rejects the idea of training him initially because the guy sees him and thinks "This kid won't be able to kill demons he's too nice"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Jim Dwyer posted:

His defining characteristic is being kind, the swordsman rejects the idea of training him initially because the guy sees him and thinks "This kid won't be able to kill demons he's too nice"

the interesting part is how killing demons and kindness aren't always mutually exclusive.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I am enjoying Dr. Stone so far. It feels kind of old-school, somehow.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Dr. Stone is good.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
So far it's been 10,000,000% good!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i hope they keep freeing people with increasingly specific skill sets for a while longer at least.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

i hope they keep freeing people with increasingly specific skill sets for a while longer at least.

I'll anxiously wait for the moment when they find an island where the only way to reach it is through grinding a long line of phone cables and they have to free Tony Hawk.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I guess giving into whatever the phenomena that turned everyone to stone and letting your consciousness fade out doesn't kill you.

Which is probably for the best because spending 3000 years inside your own head would likely render most people batshit insane.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Somehow I think the guy they just unstoned is gonna be the primary antagonist.
It just seems like a perfect set up, hes strong like the meathead and at least smart/intuitive enough to coolhead his way through like the smart guy.
Natural rival villain material.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
The guy who did Kuroko's Basketball is back with a series about golf

Robot x Laserbeam

its a pretty typical first chapter for a sports series but the MC is funny. i like it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Law Cheetah posted:

The guy who did Kuroko's Basketball is back with a series about golf

Robot x Laserbeam

its a pretty typical first chapter for a sports series but the MC is funny. i like it

I wonder how a golf manga would work, at least if it was actually focused on the sports angle (which I'm guessing this will be). It's a sport where you don't really compete directly against others (like tennis or volleyball or whatever) and there aren't really many upgrades you can get other than "can hit the ball more accurately/further."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Wait KuroBas is over

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Wait KuroBas is over

Yup. There was a side story after it ended where they played the rear end in a top hat showboating American team

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder how a golf manga would work, at least if it was actually focused on the sports angle (which I'm guessing this will be). It's a sport where you don't really compete directly against others (like tennis or volleyball or whatever) and there aren't really many upgrades you can get other than "can hit the ball more accurately/further."

There was a golf manga by the Ashita no Joe author that was super popular back in the day (... the eighties ...) and even got an anime series. (And inspired Tiger Woods to take up golfing.)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Ytlaya posted:

King Golf does a good job of this.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I know that there's assholes in every sport, but at the same time "rear end in a top hat Golf jocks" is just hilarious to me. Like I'm sure they exist, but the mental image of a bunch of teenagers being like "Heh, I'm the supreme golfer, you suck kid!" is hilarious beyond reason. Seems like a fun manga even though I'm not super into golf. Like I enjoy sports mangas in general, but I wish there was one about a sport I actually liked you know? My dream manga would be a Baby Steps type manga made about fencing.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

rear end in a top hat golf jocks are older white men who smoke stogies.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Hopeford posted:

I know that there's assholes in every sport, but at the same time "rear end in a top hat Golf jocks" is just hilarious to me. Like I'm sure they exist, but the mental image of a bunch of teenagers being like "Heh, I'm the supreme golfer, you suck kid!" is hilarious beyond reason. Seems like a fun manga even though I'm not super into golf. Like I enjoy sports mangas in general, but I wish there was one about a sport I actually liked you know? My dream manga would be a Baby Steps type manga made about fencing.

you're in luck!!

The Paladin of Silver White

its a new series about fencing. i dunno if its gonna be about the actual sport of fencing in the way sports mangas usually are, though. its hard to tell from the first chapter

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Law Cheetah posted:

you're in luck!!

its a new series about fencing. i dunno if its gonna be about the actual sport of fencing in the way sports mangas usually are, though. its hard to tell from the first chapter

There was also some other short-ish manga about fencing, but I remember it focused more on interpersonal drama than the sport itself. I can't remember what it was called.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Law Cheetah posted:

I'll take it!

Ytlaya posted:

There was also some other short-ish manga about fencing, but I remember it focused more on interpersonal drama than the sport itself. I can't remember what it was called.

Maybe you're thinking of Attaque? It's a manwha about 50 chapters long. I read it ages ago, but my brief recollection is something like bully gets in a car accident and then ends up trying to join the fencing club after a member saves him, as he can't protect himself anymore.

Beginners joining a new sport is still pretty much my favorite sub-genre of SPORTS haha, so I'll take anything I can get.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ah yeah, it's Attaque, I forgot it was a manhwa.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Law Cheetah posted:

you're in luck!!

You don't know how happy you made me with that. I think that manga was canceled at some point if i recall, but even a couple chapters about fencing are gonna make me really happy.

Ytlaya posted:

Ah yeah, it's Attaque, I forgot it was a manhwa.

Attaque is great, but it unfortunately only has one actual fencing match in it. Wish it could have gone on for longer!

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
I remember seeing a chapter or two of another fencing manga. I can't remember the name, but I can remember it was focused on an all girl club.

Ringing a bell for anyone else?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Duel? 2 chapters were translated.

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=118432

Or maybe one of these.

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?category=fencing&exclude_genre=Adult_Hentai_Smut&filter=some_releases&perpage=50

EDIT: I haven't actually read any myself, I just googled Fencing Manga and found a link on reddit.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
That's the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Ended up re-reading Attaque, and I gotta say the thing I love the most about it is that it accurately portrays the feeling when you're fencing someone so far better than you that they might as well be wizards. Like the first time someone flicks you it's like "...What the flying Christ just happened? Did I get hit? How? His blade wasn't even going in that direction it makes no sense!" And that one moment you realize even though you want to win super badly there is no anime power-up coming out of nowhere, so you improvise with strategies even knowing you're still gonna fall short. It really captures a good fencing match, 'is what I mean. And it's a shame it wasn't longer because I'd read every chapter and buy anything I could to support it if it was a thing. It also even portrays "How to cheap shot a better fencer precisely because they are better than you" really well :allears:

The story itself wasn't anything special, but I really loved the way it portrayed fencing.