Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

CourValant posted:

1D

"I understand that emotions are high right now; you've spent the past few days tending to the dead and the dying, which is a noble and worthwhile calling.

Remember always that it was the monsters, the forest, the wilderness that killed these people. Not ITEC, not me, and not you.

We are helping, in the best way we know how. Even in the looting of these Salmonsters, it is so that we may become better equipped to handle the fangs and claws coming our way.

And it is coming. Have no doubt. Things will get a whole lot worse before they get better, and we're on the front lines now.

I need you with me, the Team needs you, the people we'll be sent out to help will need you. There will be more dead, more dying, and they all need you.

Focus on the job at hand; you can't tend to the present if you can't see beyond the past.

If you doubt our cause, ask yourself, would the world be better off if we all just stayed home? Or did we do some collective good these past months."

I like this speech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

RandomPauI posted:

I like this speech

Thanks!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

DSeriously, I get the anger but you were with us then. We buried them and you didn't know any better either. Wtf do you want? We were green as gently caress and didn't have any idea they'd attract poo poo like that. We fix as much of this as we can, learn, and move on.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Blasphemaster posted:

DSeriously, I get the anger but you were with us then. We buried them and you didn't know any better either. Wtf do you want? We were green as gently caress and didn't have any idea they'd attract poo poo like that. We fix as much of this as we can, learn, and move on.

I don't think he actually WAS with us that time!

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Who the gently caress do you think you are? We have also brought back supplies and stopped creatures that could have done terrible things to many more people than those who were hurt here. Look at the big picture, get your head out of your rear end, control your temper because this isn't the cleanest business in town. We do good, but must recognize a margin of error. Think of those we pulled from the riverboat. Think of how if the Ankheg was close enough to get to this, he was also close enough to get to the town.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

I mean we literally ran off because a god told us a city was going to explode, gently caress this guy.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

CourValant posted:

1D

"I understand that emotions are high right now; you've spent the past few days tending to the dead and the dying, which is a noble and worthwhile calling.

Remember always that it was the monsters, the forest, the wilderness that killed these people. Not ITEC, not me, and not you.

We are helping, in the best way we know how. Even in the looting of these Salmonsters, it is so that we may become better equipped to handle the fangs and claws coming our way.

And it is coming. Have no doubt. Things will get a whole lot worse before they get better, and we're on the front lines now.

I need you with me, the Team needs you, the people we'll be sent out to help will need you. There will be more dead, more dying, and they all need you.

Focus on the job at hand; you can't tend to the present if you can't see beyond the past.

If you doubt our cause, ask yourself, would the world be better off if we all just stayed home? Or did we do some collective good these past months."

Voting for this.

We're professionals so let's act like it. Having a boss go off at his employees because of a mistake he made is not good for morale.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Dog Kisser posted:

Wut? Don't remember that. Was he Owlbear-sitting or something?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Blasphemaster posted:

Wut? Don't remember that. Was he Owlbear-sitting or something?

Yeah, only you, Kvelar, Abigail and Khami were there for that.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Blasphemaster posted:

We buried them and you didn't know any better either.

Dog Kisser posted:

Correct. You wanted to get to Harst as quickly as possible, so you left half of ITEC behind with the heavily laden adventuring wagon and took only those interested in a Visionary Quest with you. Johakim was not there to inform you of proper conduct.

--

Mr. Nemo posted:

How easily do we think we could get another doctor for our group? If he decides to leave, what do we feel his brothers would do?

Actual doctors are few and far between. Perhaps you could find one in the regional capital, Karg? It is quiet a large city. As for one who would abandon their trade for a life of constant, high risk of death monster hunting? That might be a harder sell.

As for the brothers, they have always seemed like a package deal. Konnie and Tommy like you well enough, as far as you can tell, but there is no guarantee they wouldn't just walk off if Johakim left.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Yeah, I'm kind of not getting why he's so pissed that we didn't know that burying corpses (something that you use would do to hide them) would attract the one burrowing monster that we didn't even know was in the area. And it was buried, so if it was close enough to smell the buried bodies it was going to cause trouble anyway. I think he's just pissed and needs to blame someone.

More to the point the only reason we buried them was because a literal God told us to get a move on. If we're to blame Toil is also to blame, and he's to blame for not coming with us.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

CourValant posted:

1D

This

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Who the gently caress do you think you are? We have also brought back supplies and stopped creatures that could have done terrible things to many more people than those who were hurt here. Look at the big picture, get your head out of your rear end, control your temper because this isn't the cleanest business in town. We do good, but must recognize a margin of error. Think of those we pulled from the riverboat. Think of how if the Ankheg was close enough to get to this, he was also close enough to get to the town.

This

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Yeah, this

I'm not actually mad at him, but I do think him actually blaming us is a step too far. We didn't do poo poo, it's just nature, and an unfortunate interaction. In the future, we'll perhaps be more careful, but we can't see what consequences even our caution will have.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Voting CourValant

Jesus people , let's not piss of our only doctor and half the group.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Wow.

Its all kinds of interesting to see how the split is coming down for this vote.

Cannon_Fodder and I are essentially saying the same thing, its just the tone which is different.

One is more "Come with me, and I will teach you to be the fisher of men", and the other is "Come with me because I don't have time to coddle you anymore"

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
ITEC HQ – Expedition to the Buried Cache
Month 3, Week 4, Day 1.
Mid-day.

You summon your courage and rhetoric to take your rebellious employee down a peg, how dare he question the wisdom of Snuffkins, whom has proclaimed you innocent?

“Johakim, please! You are out of line, remember your place and control your temper! You knew when you signed up that this wasn't the cleanest business, that people were bound to get hurt.
There is a margin of error here that needs to be budgeted for, as our Guild Charter dictates! But I digress, you simply must see to the bigger picture: We fought the Salmonsters and killed them all.
How many more Imperial Citizens would have been lost if they instead continued upstream to Braav? How many people did we save by killing the Snake before it got to any place more populated than a river-boat?
How many did we save by our shrewd negotiating, allowing us to bring home the Slimes?

How should I have known an Ankheg was about, I cannot predict the future! And further, why should I stand to blame for the re-actions of nature? It could just as easily have gone fine!
And as for our mercy; If you recall, I was on a mission from Toil Himself to save an entire city from destruction. A task at which I succeeded admirably, I will have you know!

As an accountant, a monster hunter and a Citizen; the numbers are very clear. A city versus a merchant caravan is no choice at all.”

--

Johakim stares silently at you as you orate, an act that culminates in a deep shrug once you are finished.

“My heart has no head for numbers such as those. It is a shame that your head has no space for heart at all.
At any rare; there is no danger here for me to ward aside from you and my hands ache from over-working; I’m sitting this one out. Have fun rummaging in the dirt and soil. Try not to get anyone else killed when I'm gone. “

--

Everyone stands around awkwardly as Johakim mounts his horse and rides back to Braav.
When he is out of sight, his brothers come up to you and speak their mind.

Ah, don't worry about him Boss, he gets preachy when he's cranky. Ain't none of us who've lived a life without mistakes, yeah? He will get over it.

No he won't, you know how stubborn he is.

Hehehe. Like an old diremule.

“Yeah. Better just stay clear of him for a while Boss.

--

That little instance of on-site human-resourcing over with you return to the task at hand: Looting. Or at least attempted looting, for there is not much to be found. Perhaps some detective work is in order?

From the amount of mounds alone, it is clear the Ankheg spent some time here, perhaps feasting on other monsters or creatures what might have come to also investigating the Salmonsters stench?
Where X would be had you a treasure map is naught but a hole crisscrossed with collapsed tunnels. Digging into them is fruitless, for the Ankheg did not leave stable caverns behind.

The entire area is battered and raw. Many trees have been uprooted and there is an uncomfortable silence indicating the lack of wildlife that you are coming to associate with the presence of a monster.
You see a few quiet birds carefully scouting the location as you walk around without being eaten. Perhaps with their bravery and your example, the natural order can return to this abandoned beach once more.

From all of the above, you deduce that the Ankheg must have left quiet recently. Probably lured away from its dining grounds by what to it would be the irresistible allure of a traveling merchant caravan.

---

You search and search and search some more, but again there is nothing much to find. That is until Abigails quack draws your attention to a peculiar patch of dirty late autumn snow that turns out to be anything but.

"So hey I figured, an Ankheg swallows stuff whole right? Makes them pretty much owls in my opinion, and if there is one thing that likes to roost in boring old Sockne, it's owls!
We had a couple in the attic at the tavern, who would have thought birds could make such a big mess?? Anyway they vomit the stuff they can't digest, like bone? That's what we were looking for right?
So I figured, if I was an owl, or an Ankheg or whatever, where would I vomit?! Gotta be someplace safe and warm but I don't think they'd do it underground because they probably have to keep moving a bunch and it'd just be a terrible mess.
So I'm like, hey, what about this nice spot by the shore? It's got soft soil to dig into to hide if there is danger and there aren't any trees nearby so you can bask in the sun if you like that.
I figure they do because they look kind of like snakes? If snakes, I mean owls, wore their skeletons like a knitted sweater and had like a bazillion spiky legs with witch to pierce you.
Anyway hey presto I found some Ankheg droppings woo yeah I win! What do I win? “

Covered in dirt, dried blood and exploded slime, mud and yes, a bit of snow, the pellet is well camouflaged in its surroundings.
A little excavating reveals it to be a 43cm by 17cm rectangular tray constructed out of what, if Abigails theory is correct, mostly bone, with a thickness of about 3cm.

x01 fused-bone-plate get!

It is remarkably tough and once you get it cleaned up, very smooth to boot. A quick look around similar sites reveal no other pellets and so you conclude that this must be the only one present.

---

1: With the afternoon fast approaching and the sun already beginning to set, your remaining recruits look to you for guidance. Shall you head back, or keep looking even though every stone has already been over-turned?

A: Keep looking!
Stay another hour or two, but leave after. You won't have time for anything else when you get back.

B: Go home.
Perhaps the Alchemist is back now, or maybe you could try to find someone who could do something with this new toy of yours? Or you could simply call it in early and get a better, hopefully more well-rested day tomorrow.
Write-in suggestions for what to do with the rest of your time once you get home, some time before dinner.

C: Something else?
Write-in.

---

Party thoughts:
Konnie: “Perhaps we can sell it? As long as we don't tell anyone where it came from.”
Kvelar: Unavailable for comment.
Johakim: Unavailable for comment.
Abigail: “Uh, maybe head home? I dunno, maybe if we wait here some more monsters will come by to check us out. Then we could kill them!”
Khami: “Guard your tongue as well as that of others, lest madness accrue and split your world asunder.”
Skvababt: Unavailable for comment.
Tommy: “'Better than nothing, but I doubt we will find anything else of use. Lets just go back home.”
Owlbear Cubs: “Hoot!” (Abigail is wise to our needs! Heed her, feed us tasty grubs! Play with us!)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

B

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
If he's sitting this one out we aren't paying his mopey rear end.

Also keep our eyes out for a new doctor so we can pinkslip this putz when we get the chance

B

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 17, 2017

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
b

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
1A

In for a penny, in for a pound.

Might as well comb the shoreline while we're here, just for the sake of completeness.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
b

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

B

Lets go take a nap with the owlbear cubs.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
B, yeah. I can see his point but he's wrong, it's not like we don't care or like that we kinda got people killed but we're doing far more good than ungood.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
B

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Go home

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

B We out.

Who would we call on to figure out the plate's (if any) practical applications?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Yo, sometimes people get angry at intangible concepts and uncontrollable situations and they aren't 100% rational. Cut Johakim some slack. Also he's salaried, not paid by the job.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
ITEC HQ – Expedition to the Buried Cache
Month 3, Week 4, Day 1.
Afternoon

Putting your newly acquired boneplate in the cargo compartment of the ITEC all purpose adventuring wagon, you make your way back to Braav.
You follow the road for an hour without incident though it begins raining as is the won't of the season. The leaves rustle and birds chirp and it is an all together a pleasant if slightly damp ride home.
Soon most of the days ails are forgotten or at least put away for later and the tone becomes almost jovial as you try to think up uses for your treasure.

Konnie wants to sell it, but that is hardly surprising. He doesn't think it will bring in that much money though. Enough for a feast at the tavern, a good night out? With the right buyer.
Tommy handles it thoughtfully. Taps it with his fingers and -to your horror- attempts to eat it.

According to family legend he once ate most of a cow in one sitting. Could your powerhouse of a fighter really digest bone?
But no, he doesn't actually eat it. It turns out he was merely testing it for strength. Satisfied with the result of no noticeable marks on the surface, he urges you to show the plate to a smith or leathery worker.
Perhaps it could be used for a shield or as part of some armour?

Abigail likes the idea of a shield as well, but only because she not so secretly desires to ride it as a sled come winter.

Khami suggests using it for target practise.
It would probably be ruined in short order if shot with ##Nåzom Stegëth## but maybe it could be used to indicate more readily the penetrative power of your various ammunition types, such as the Salmonster arrows versus regular, mass produced slime arrows.

The conversation continues like this for some time and soon you pass the broken stretch of road where the Ankheg was slain. You are pleased to see work is progressing rapidly on the fix though the workers have gone home for the day. No one really wants to be out after dark.

What is surprising is that the two guards you saw earlier remain. They stare at you as you pass but make no attempt to hinder you. Once you pass they turn, mount their horses and follow at an uncomfortable distance.
The rain lightens up at this point and the late afternoon sun shines it's rays through evergreen treetops.

Some ten minutes later two more guards show up on horseback, also silent. They take up escort ahead of you.

Five minutes later you are forced to stop as two heavily armoured halebardieres cross their polearms in your path.
A third guard steps out of shadow and addresses you with an air of polite amusement.

"Mr Thorgrim and the members of the selfsame Tyrannofaunic Extermination Company!

His Grace, Lord of the Manor and Liege of the Township of Braav, Lord Tel'ia Tel'e'nor (He who casts the spiders net wide across the world) has seen fit to grant you an Audience. Effective immediately.
You will exit your wagon, dismount your horses, give up your arms and make yourselves presentable. At this juncture you will then be escorted to His Lordship post haste.

Please to comply without hesitation, the Master finds tarrying distasteful.
Your possessions shall be returned to you after the Ceremony."

---

1: How do you respond?
You may question the guard at your leisure, though she is might not respond to questions she deems irrelevant.

A: Graciously accept the invitation.

B: Ungraciously accept the invitation.

C: insultingly accept the invitation.

D: Accept the invitation completely neutrally.

E: Something else?
Write-in.

---

[ITEC Pre-Battle Summary]
Morale is stable though slightly on edge.
You are unhurt. You are fatigued. You are being haunted. You fight with a dwarven battle-axe and shield. You don't have any armour, but Skvababt is making some for you. It should be done soon.
Abigail: Is unhurt. She is lightly fatigued. She fights. Sometimes with a wooden quarterstaff. Sometimes with a greatsword. Somewhere along the line she picked up a bandit-quality repeating crossbow. She is waiting for a new suit of Kobold-Leather-Scale, courtesy of Skvababt.
Tommy: Is unhurt. He is lightly fatigued. He fights with a great club, but has a sling as well. He has decent quality leather armour.
Konnie: Is unhurt. He is lightly fatigued. He dual-wields fine quality daggers. He wears Bog-Standard Military Surplus Leather Armour. He has picked up a bandit-quality repeating crossbow.
Khami: Is unhurt. He is lightly fatigued. He wears chain mail under his robes. He fights with expertly crafted iron chains.

For more information on things such as favoured strategies and strengths and weaknesses of your recruits, please refer to the recruit post.

[ITEC Battlefield Conditions]
You are surrounded on all sides by seven heavily armoured guardsmen wielding polearms of various sorts, mostly Halebards. They have positioned themselves so as to hinder any attempt at escape.
There might be more nearby, but none that you can see.
Other then that, they don't appear to be hostile. They seem relaxed and slightly amused.

You are on the cobbled Imperial Road from Grüw to Sockne, not too far from Braav.
A light, evergreen forest surrounds you though you know there to be farmsteads further ahead.
There don't appear to be any monsters nearby.

In the distance, you can hear the murmuration of the river Ennui.

---

Party thoughts:
Konnie: "I don't like this boss. There are too many guards for my tastes. "
Kvelar: Unavailable for comment.
Johakim: Unavailable for comment.
Abigail: "Want me to run them over??"
Khami: Unavailable for comment.
Skvababt: Unavailable for comment.
Tommy: "Better just do what he says. We haven't done anything wrong (that they can prove.) “
Owlbear Cubs: “Hoot hoot!” (Be careful out there!)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I can't think up any questions yet but...

D. Of course. We will comply with the request promptly.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

D

Why does Lord Tel'ia wish to grant us a audience?

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 19, 2017

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
a

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

nothing to seehere posted:

D

This. But isn't this the dude we were asking about Owlbear training and such?

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A this is the guy who we wrote about the owl bears right?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

nothing to seehere posted:

D

"Master can be hard to parse at the best of times, but I assume it has something to do with the nature of your occupation.
My orders are simply to bring you to The Ceremony."

Toughy posted:

A this is the guy who we wrote about the owl bears right?

Correct.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
You've got to be kidding. We're not surrendering our weapons to what could be imposters or a poorly planned scam. Please present you proof of identity and licences to carry arms, licence to wear military uniforms in public, licence to....etc etc.

And what's the ceremony?

Well not surrendering our weapons unless we enter a city or something. Drown them in bureaucratic nonsense. If there's even a button out of place then we are under no obligation to do diddly squat with these toolbags.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

"Please provide some proof" in a polite manner

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

My guess is we're getting an armed escort to a ceremony giving us thanks and behalf of the people of braav for our courageous acts. Other members have been escorted already

Of course it could be an execution too, I'm being optimistic

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

There Bias Two posted:

"Please provide some proof" in a polite manner

Outrail posted:

You've got to be kidding. We're not surrendering our weapons to what could be imposters or a poorly planned scam. Please present you proof of identity and licences to carry arms, licence to wear military uniforms in public, licence to....etc etc.

This will be option F: Bureaucratically accept the invitation.

Outrail posted:

And what's the ceremony?

"Master can be very, ah, Dramatic, during his Audiences."

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
F