Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Drifter posted:

Uhhh, with the caveat that FRINGE is actually good, though.

...people trying to compare AoS to Fringe for gently caress's sake... :rolleyes:

Yeah I like AoS a bunch, but the cast of Fringe acted rings around it. Everybody except for Pacey played at least three different versions of their characters. It was also a decidedly weirder show right out of the gate. In the pilot they tap into a comatose guy's memories with the help of home brewed LSD. Fringe was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I'll never understand the big deal about actors playing different versions of characters. They're actors. That's what they do.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Drifter posted:

Uhhh, with the caveat that FRINGE is actually good, though.

...people trying to compare AoS to Fringe for gently caress's sake... :rolleyes:

AoS is better than Fringe.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Piell posted:

Yes and Daisy's quest was boring as hell

Daisy's quest sucked at times. Her parents themselves owned, though. It helps that the boring part of her quest coincided with RealSHIELD and Edward James Olmos taking over.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AoS and Fringe are both extremely good, there's no need for this

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I agree, but AoS gets no loving credit where it's due while Fringe is universally beloved here. AoS is literally the best show of the entire superhero genre on TV right now, excepting maybe Legion for when it is a bit more mature. Not sounding like the highest praise, I know, given the competition, but I really think AoS is fantastic.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Apoplexy posted:

I agree, but AoS gets no loving credit where it's due while Fringe is universally beloved here. AoS is literally the best show of the entire superhero genre on TV right now, excepting maybe Legion for when it is a bit more mature. Not sounding like the highest praise, I know, given the competition, but I really think AoS is fantastic.

Speaking of which, why is Gotham so beloved? I watched the first half of the first season and I was just completely turned off by it. It was way more dull than even AOS at its worst. Did something drastically change?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

notthegoatseguy posted:

Speaking of which, why is Gotham so beloved? I watched the first half of the first season and I was just completely turned off by it. It was way more dull than even AOS at its worst. Did something drastically change?

Things in general got worse but at least the very worst part loving Fish Mooney is finally gone. Unless it's back, I stopped watching like six episodes ago.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

notthegoatseguy posted:

gotham has more in common with the 1960s batman than any of the modern adaptations, plus tim burton gothic architecture. As the show progresses, the writers eventually catch up to the audience and figure this out.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Junkenstein posted:

I'll never understand the big deal about actors playing different versions of characters. They're actors. That's what they do.

Agree. The great thing was though that for the whole of the first season Torv was lambasted for being a terrible actor, but it just turns out she was a good actor playing a fairly repressed loner character.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Apoplexy posted:

So where should I watch AoS if I'm a big Marvel fan who was kinda meh on the first few episodes and just lost track? When does it start to shift from monster of the week to real story stuff?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So where should I watch AoS if I'm a big Marvel fan who was kinda meh on the first few episodes and just lost track? When does it start to shift from monster of the week to real story stuff?

Cant help you with where, but as for when, poo poo started to get real (as the show is based on SHIELD) around the episodes that aired when Winter Soldier came out. S01E17 I think. Opinion in the thread for the show was divided about whether you should recommend people skip straight to that episode or power through the (fairly mediocre) first half of the season to get the context. Depends on your tolerance for monster of the week, if you can stand it then stuff that happens later will have more weight as you will know the characters better, but I find it hard to recommend watching the start of S1 to most people and dont think you lose too much if you just skip to maybe S01E15 and watch from there.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Personal tastes are personal tastes, if you enjoyed everything there's nothing wrong with that. Chances are there's someone who'd like a badly reviewed piece of entertainment. It's not like a poor rating on a movie should make you less able to enjoy it.

An example with me, I thought Real Steel was pretty good and that's only got such unparalleled high marks of 'average'

Real Steel is a fun time at the movies.

edit;

Apoplexy posted:

I'm willing to let Clark Gregg get away with anything. Agents of SHIELD is the best thing that's been on TV in years that isn't Fargo.

I'm straight up apoplectic at this perplexing apoplexy post

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 15, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Real Steel is loving great because it's such a ridiculous premise but Jackman gives it 110% and the final fight owns.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Tatum Girlparts posted:

TRACKS, episode 13 of season 1. It's, essentially, the first part of a two-parter that really kicks off the show's real plotlines. TAHITI, the episode after, is where they introduce both Bill Paxton's awesome loving character, and advance the whole 'what actually happened to Coulson' mystery to an interesting point. Episode after that has an Asgardian fugitive and Lady Sif, and is loving amazing. Then the Winter Soldier tie-in happens and you know what that means for SHIELD itself. Everything after that is gold. Season 2 begins the Inhuman plotline and is FANTASTIC with Kyle MacLachlan playing Skye's dad and Reed Diamond putting on the worst German accent ever. I cannot recommend enough watching for season 2 alone. It's so worth the build-up, and what comes after is, at times, even better (S3 was fantastic, but S4 is, easily, the best the show's ever been)

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Tatum Girlparts posted:

S1E16 End of the Beginning, then Winter Soldier, then E17 Turn Turn Turn.

Honestly just start at the pilot and watch them all. You're not watching them for the plot, you'll be watching for the interactions between the characters. It makes the twist in E17 better.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Real Steel is loving great because it's such a ridiculous premise but Jackman gives it 110% and the final fight owns.

He really is the best part of any movie he's in, well most of the time. He was great in Eddie the Eagle.

edit; But about the above, AoS is a huge time suck for what you get, kinda alright long running plot-lines twining through cheaply produced and acted generic genre fare.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 15, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Start with 13. 15's skippable, if that's what you're into, but 13's where the show gets quite good.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Season 1-3 is on Netflix. Honestly the first 15 episodes of S1 aren't bad; a lot of characters or plotd that are important in the "good" episodes are introduced in them. And while most of the cast performances are dull, Coulson is pretty drat good, especially in episodes regarding his death.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The guy who said if you like Doctor Who you'll like AoS was exactly on the money. It's like there's a spectrum for sci-fi shows where you have to wade through poo poo to get to the good parts. Fringe is on one side, with a decent amount of poo poo but plenty of really good parts. Doctor Who is on the other extreme, with tons of poo poo and a few good parts. AoS is probably closer to Fringe, it just frontloads and concentrates the majority of it's poo poo into an intensely terrible 15 or so episodes before you get some reasonably OK low budget sci-fi tv

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AoS has bad plotting and that's frequently frustrating. Lots of people don't mind that, but it gets me.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Guy Goodbody posted:

The guy who said if you like Doctor Who you'll like AoS was exactly on the money. It's like there's a spectrum for sci-fi shows where you have to wade through poo poo to get to the good parts. Fringe is on one side, with a decent amount of poo poo but plenty of really good parts. Doctor Who is on the other extreme, with tons of poo poo and a few good parts. AoS is probably closer to Fringe, it just frontloads and concentrates the majority of it's poo poo into an intensely terrible 15 or so episodes before you get some reasonably OK low budget sci-fi tv

Counterpoint; If someone gave me a straight choice between watching the first 5 or 6 episodes of Fringe or hammering nails through my dick, I'd have to give the matter some thought.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SiKboy posted:

Counterpoint; If someone gave me a straight choice between watching the first 5 or 6 episodes of Fringe or hammering nails through my dick, I'd have to give the matter some thought.

There's enough TV that starts good nowadays that it's totally reasonable to not want to watch a show that starts bad just on the promise that it gets good later. Sarah Conner Chronicles is fantastic for about three or four episodes in the second season. Doesn't mean anybody should ever sit through the dreadful first season to get there tho.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So is anyone going to stay up/get up early for Iron Fist tonight? It's kind of sad that the guy who punches a dragon in the heart is the least exciting Marvel Netflix premier.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I've watched the other four and this one will be no different.

Iron Fist is so hated he doesn't even get his own thread title.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Iron Fist was the show I was most excited for, but because I was hoping for an adaptation of the Cities of Heaven stuff Brubaker and Fraction did that was fairly self aware and had some levity as well as nods to the legacy stuff they introduced, like the Indian Iron Fist. I'll check out the show, probably in the first day or two, though Zelda is still eating a lot of free time at the moment, but I'm doing it with a sense of trepidation, not anticipation, because it looks like a rather serious, grim show trying to ape the others and it's not what I'm really looking for. Not that that these show's fault, but it will color my expectations and experience most likely and the reviews being all bad isn't helping.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Heathen posted:

I vote it should be something like "for the fans, not the critics"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
"For the Fans Not the Critics(The Fans Hate it Too)"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Heathen posted:

I'm definitely still watching it, but it'll probably be the only one where I don't wake up a couple hours early to binge a few episodes before work.

Lamont posted:

I vote it should be something like "for the fans, not the critics"

Netflix Marvel: Iron Fist on 3/17/17 "The world isn't ready for a kung fu white man"

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Gyges posted:

Netflix Marvel: Iron Fist on 3/17/17 "The world isn't ready for a kung fu white man"

I changed my mind, this

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Heathen posted:

Brutal but we're just waiting for a good whitewashing pun.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyges posted:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Iron Fist: Fifty Shades of Caucasian.

Or, because I'm a contrarian fucker:

Iron Fist: Social Justice League.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Gyges posted:

SOLD!

Honestly it's midday in Australia and I'm hoping it will drop soon so I can get an episode in before I go out tonight.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rougey posted:

SOLD!

Honestly it's midday in Australia and I'm hoping it will drop soon so I can get an episode in before I go out tonight.

It drops midnight Pacific Time, so about 6 hours from now.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

gently caress. I can't drunk watch it at work.

Because getting drunk at work is sadly discouraged until 3pm

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gyges posted:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Gyges posted:

:five:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've only seen the opening credits and I'm already unsure about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Well you succeeded world, expectations can only be exceeded! Lets do this!