Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Apparently the models "got scanned" in 2015 and that was the whole process. Stand in one of those Airport Dick Detector Tubes for a moment, and they've got an art asset ready to go.

Man, that's an amazing concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
We've certainly come a long way from LA Noire utilizing that technology when it was in its most primitive form; it cost a fortune and was very limited in what you could do with the assets it produced, but boy is that not the case now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

I don't see why it's a flub on their part, video games and movies recast characters as totally different looking people all the time. The counterargument to which has consistently been "but it's Chris" :T

It's a flub because it confused almost everyone and still has people unsure. While I think that it's looking more like they just redesigned him than some broad Hunk related conspiracy, it was pretty poorly executed.

Like, his entire purpose in the game is to reveal a familiar face at the end and make you go "woah it's Chris!" And then it looks and sounds nothing like him. I don't know how you would look at that and go "yup just a recast" it really doesn't work at all as a scene in the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's fair. If they didn't have him go "I'm Redfield :smug:" nobody would have any idea who he was supposed to be, most likely.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it's not that they gave Chris a new look that doesn't work, it's how it was executed really.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Capcom: OK people so we had to use a real life human for Redfield and also the guy who recorded all his grunts and screams from RE5 wasn't available. This is gonna confuse people. How do we get the point across that he's Redfield?

Also Capcom: How about the only thing he says is, "I'm Redfield"?

Capcom: Good, good. But people might think that's a code name or he's the brother or something.

Also Capcom: And we call him Chris Redfield in the credits?

Capcom: Nice! I think we're all set here.

Players: WHOA WHOA WHOA what the gently caress

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, ok sure. I guess basic common sense just can't compete with these plays you keep writing featuring fictional Capcom employees.

The ending is literally like if at the end of Force Awakens Luke pulled his hood off and it turned out to be Rob Lowe and he said "I'm Skywalker!" But I guess this is the 99% of players that were totally confused by its fault.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 17, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think I'd buy Gadget's implicit argument more if the Resident Evil games

1) Already didn't have goofy things about clones and identity theft or whatever

and

2) If the helicopter had a BSAA logo instead of a strange Umbrella one

Combine that with how different Chris looked and sounded...yeah, I still say "Hey this might not actually be Chris Redfield" isn't an unreasonable theory to put forth.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it wasn't, but only until they showed that you play as the same dude in the chris redfield dlc. people just don't like giving up their pet theories.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What common sense are you talking about? I feel like you're watching 1954's Godzilla and patting yourself on the back for noticing it's just a guy in a monster suit.

Yeah, Redfield looks and sounds like a completely different person. It's clearly because of a technical limitation.

And what could they have possibly done better than have him introduce himself by name with a lingering close-up and a dramatic helmet reveal? They straight up owned that poo poo. They could've had him pull a Wilson-from-Home-Improvement and always have poo poo in front of his face. Or do like they did in RE5 (use a 3d model from a different game and say it's Jill with side effects that make her look different) and say that his virus exposure caused muscle wasting and facial bone-morph?

Maybe it comes down to personal preference, but given that Redfield literally had to look like a new person I think they made the best of the situation.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't think I buy the technical limitations argument from Capcom. Like it has shades of Square-Enix saying "Towns are just too difficult to make in HD!" after FF13 came out.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the technical limitation is that they had a limited pool of white male models to choose from so they picked one that seemed okay and called it a day.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You not understanding how it was a poorly executed narrative moment is beyond me and I have no idea what you are on about with Godzilla, but this is clearly going to go nowhere so if you thought it totally made sense good for you, you caught on before like, literally every other person that played the game.

I'm seriously not even talking about the redesign, I'm just saying the way it was presented was pretty confusing for completely understandable reasons.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

veni veni veni posted:

You not understanding how it was a poorly executed narrative moment

No, I don't understand (your opinion that) it was a poorly executed narrative moment.

veni veni veni posted:

good for you, you caught on before like, literally every other person that played the game.

Awesome. Didn't seem that complicated so I'm pretty surprised.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm just saying the way it was presented was pretty confusing for completely understandable reasons.

Here's something we can maybe have an actual conversation about? What was confusing about it? I was being facetious earlier, but he literally introduces himself by name, and they reinforce the name in the credits. Was it just confusing because he looks different?

When I first saw it, I literally thought to myself "ah that makes sense. Buff Redfield would look stupid and they're going for a realistic thing".

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the technical limitation is that they had a limited pool of white male models to choose from so they picked one that seemed okay and called it a day.

also Yeah, this is 100% what I mean. Call it an "art direction limitation" if you want, but given the design decisions they made, they were limited to actual human males so they went with the one that kinda looks the same if you squint your eyes (insert Gob quote about the Japanese here)

additional edit. The internet is stupid. I don't actually care enough about resident evil, or character models, or Godzilla or whatever to justify being so snippy and flippant with you. Too easy to let temper flare up. Sorry about that.

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 17, 2017

Vakal
May 11, 2008
On one hand I'm kind of dissapointed in how different Chris looks is RE 7, but on the other hand he looks like Micheal Beihn from the Terminator/Aliens days which I can totally get onboard for.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Capcom: OK people so we had to use a real life human for Redfield and also the guy who recorded all his grunts and screams from RE5 wasn't available. This is gonna confuse people. How do we get the point across that he's Redfield?

Also Capcom: How about the only thing he says is, "I'm Redfield"?

Capcom: Good, good. But people might think that's a code name or he's the brother or something.

Also Capcom: And we call him Chris Redfield in the credits?

Capcom: Nice! I think we're all set here.

Players: WHOA WHOA WHOA what the gently caress

You forgot the part about him being dressed in Umbrella digs.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Lunethex posted:

You forgot the part about him being dressed in Umbrella digs.

I'm very excited to learn more about that. I don't have a clue where they're going with it, but "inverted color logo" and "flowery calligraphy instead of bold text" are an overt indicator of "We're the Opposite Now". Plus.. having the savior of the world on the payroll.

So... good guys roaming around killing BOW's?

But we don't really know poo poo, so it could just as easily be Secret Wesker Clone ordering his unknowing pawns to "help" BOW victims while gathering the data needed for Complete Global Saturation

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Why couldn't they make a 3D model though and have it fit with RE7's aesthetic? Or edit the captured model of an actor?

Like I know they said they couldn't do these things, but that's the part I'm not sure I believe since other companies are able to do this.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they don't care as much about chris' giant muscles as the rest of us.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Their explanation could be Excuse Making, sure, but it's at least consistent with the rest of their game. The models aren't just face models - they're head to toe scanned for this. Andre is a gangly tall guy in real life, Jack is a solid bastard. Even Grandma just had a wrinkle texture added to her skin, with nothing edited or changed otherwise.

They did modify their hair though. Also you might have noticed everybody's hair looked horrible!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lucas irl is hilarious looking

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They should have scanned this actor in to be Chris again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80H-BZaNvPo

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

veni veni veni posted:

Lucas irl is hilarious looking

I can definitely say I was not expecting dreadlocks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thanks to the RE7 reddit I have seen much more of his body than I ever wanted to. The man does not leave much to the imagination.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah if you ever wanted to see Lucas almost naked in all of his tribal tattooed, dreadlocked glory, look no further Reddit has you covered.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He had to pay for those computer parts somehow I guess.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it wasn't, but only until they showed that you play as the same dude in the chris redfield dlc. people just don't like giving up their pet theories.
One of the things that really threw me was the DLC where you play as maybe-Chris being called "Not a Hero". I mean really that does not help

it's moot now though ofc

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
He probably DID stop juicing after he killed Wesker. I seem to remember it being explicitly mentioned in supplemental materials somewhere that after getting his rear end handed to him in Code Veronica, Chris realized he needed some sort of edge for when he inevitably encountered Wesker again, and started spending all his time in the gym. Thus Roid Rage Redfield.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the year he spent as a wino wasn't enough to weaken bara redfield

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Someone needs to closely examine that scene to make sure he is holding six things or less. "Is that four Steroids, one helicopter key, one gas mask, one grenade, and one pistol in your inventory or are you just happ.... wait, who the gently caress are you?!"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I wanna know how that sexy Chris Evans-looking son of a bitch doesn't get Helmet Hair

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Jolo posted:

Someone needs to closely examine that scene to make sure he is holding six things or less. "Is that four Steroids, one helicopter key, one gas mask, one grenade, and one pistol in your inventory or are you just happ.... wait, who the gently caress are you?!"
The real giveaway is the lack of a lighter, clearly.

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016
As long as they don't gently caress up Leon, we're all good.

Leon's camp adventures in...I dunno, !NotSouthamerica when?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I want Leon to go to Mars to stop the spread of the A(res)-Virus, which has broken out amongst the native population.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 17, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I want Leon to go to Mars to stop the spread of the A(res)-Virus, which has broken out amongst the native population.

I'm sort of surprised we haven't gotten an actual space station yet. "Oh no, the T-Virus broke out on the international space station while Claire was visiting after she won a contest in a box of cheerios" is ripe for excitement.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean I guess there's Dead Space if you need your RE in space fix

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I'm sort of surprised we haven't gotten an actual space station yet. "Oh no, the T-Virus broke out on the international space station while Claire was visiting after she won a contest in a box of cheerios" is ripe for excitement.
I bet it will happen eventually. We already have several doom lasers in space in the RE universe, outbreaks on space stations wouldn't be out of place.

You just know that the people at Capcom would love to try and work a colony drop into these games too.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think we're more likely to end up spending time in an outer space training center in the balkans because actually going to space is not as resident evil as fighting in a zero gravity room thats connected to a tractor dealership inside of a castle that you get to via submarine

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
RE7 seemed like a fairly "Grounded" (by RE standards) reboot... I'd be pretty surprised if we got shot into space.

Wouldn't complain though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ImpAtom posted:

Its a good setting, because you're trapped in the space and have no way to escape. Which is why so much horror sci fi works well.

But the thing is System Shock 1&2 already did that kinda thing pretty well? IDK

Plus we just had the Alien Isolation game.

I'm so so happy that RE7 is a return to creeping around a spooky haunted house. No clue where they go from here though. Lovecraftian fishing village?