Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If this LP doesn't end with nurses taking Jegan back to his nursing home because he ran away again, I'm giving this thread a -7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Just so happens that deaths attack is lower than a general jagen at base

And guess who just reclassed bitch

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

This update was Real Good and I laughed a lot

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I was surprised how many units you were killing so I looked it up. Every gaiden chapter requirse 15 or fewer units?!

I thought you just needed, specifically, x amounts of deaths by chapter whatever. Which ok I guess is technically still true but not to this extent.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Yeah, I get that the Gaidens are meant to help players that are struggling, but I cannot imagine how incompetent you'd have to be to need them, much less trigger them in the way that was intended (i.e., not on purpose.) Maybe you might get some use out of them on Hard 5, but if you're getting more than the first Gaiden chapter on Hard 5 you're either doing it as a challenge or you have no business playing Hard 5.

LordHippoman posted:

: Everything I’ve told you is part of the old legends. Naturally, we’ve learned some more factual information since then.

: Weren’t you there, Sir Jagen?

: Eyewitness accounts aren’t always reliable.

I love these lines, just by the way.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

If this LP doesn't end with nurses taking Jegan back to his nursing home because he ran away again, I'm giving this thread a -7

You already gave the thread a 1 for lack of Wallace. I'm onto your schemes, pal!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Just so happens that deaths attack is lower than a general jagen at base

And guess who just reclassed bitch

Scythes aren't a valid weapon type, so Death is constantly crippled in the Fire Emblem universe. Rumor has it he now has a pot on his head and uses lances.

biosterous posted:

This update was Real Good and I laughed a lot

Appreciate it!

rannum posted:

I was surprised how many units you were killing so I looked it up. Every gaiden chapter requirse 15 or fewer units?!

Yes, every Gaiden except the last one, which has some other odd requirements, wants you to stay below 15. It's baffling, because not only does that become much harder as the game goes on, the units you get from the Gaidens tend to just get worse. Athena's really the best of them.

Camel Pimp posted:

Yeah, I get that the Gaidens are meant to help players that are struggling, but I cannot imagine how incompetent you'd have to be to need them, much less trigger them in the way that was intended (i.e., not on purpose.)

I think they may have been a weird, misguided attempt to try and help new players who were having trouble, but if you're seeing the second Gaiden you're probably not having too much fun anyway, since all your units are dying left and right. And even then, one new unit or some usually inferior to the normal cast Generics aren't going to help you out much.

This was the last game before Casual Mode's debut, and that's a far better way to ease new players into Fire Emblem. That's also around when the games started selling really well.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

The "everybody dies" updates are the best updates :buddy:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I'm kind of curious, actually; has anyone gotten a gaiden chapter in this game on accident, apart from the last one?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Chapter 12x: Saint Jagen (Battle)

This chapter is pretty simple, so let’s just get it done.

Dejanira’s face is absolutely horrifying.

: That accursed Archanean wench! Never mind Camus’s pleas. We should have put her to the sword with the rest of them…

Horace seems uninterested. By the way, Horace’s portrait changes in the sequel…

His eyes just get wider. That’s the only change. I like to think he’s slowly been getting more and more surprised as the years go on.

: Hm, something bothering you, now? Don’t tell me you are toying with the idea of rejoining your motherland? Because if you do, I think you know exactly what will befall your people.

: Yes, you’ve made it quite clear! I am an Archanean knight no longer. I knew this day would come when I gave my lance to Dolhr. I will not flinch.

: Good. Then gather your soldiers and kill these rebels before they cause any more trouble.

Marth has a bit of a hidden passive movement ability, in that he can cross these one tile rivers. He can’t walk on oceans like Pirates, but this is still situationally handy.

Combined with the abilities of our actual pirate, the nearest two enemies are down without much of an issue at the start of the map.

Afterwards, I’m splitting the group. Your more powerful units will probably want to be on the right. As will Marth, because that’s where the villages are.

This conversation is triggered at the end of the player phase on the first turn.

: Good.

: Shall we advance on the enemy?

: …No. That won’t be necessary. We’ll lure them in close, then strike. No one attacks unless the enemy makes a move first. Is that clear?

If your hint sirens aren’t blaring here, you may not have played a lot of Fire Emblem before.

Even as a Hero, Sedgar doesn’t really pump out damage, but he doesn’t really die either. So it works out.

Be wary of the two moving mages here, they’re dangerous just by virtue of being mages in Shadow Dragon, the game where nobody ever gains a Resistance point.

Then again, they’re also mages, so they’re easy to cut up, even without a dedicated tool. Athena demonstrates by julienning this man into convenient strips.

Ogma finishes off the Cavalier for a very sad level.

The right side continues to push up, because believe it or not, those first two enemies were all you have to worry about on the left for now!

The Archanean soldiers here all belong to Horace’s group. If you aggro one of them, they will attack, and this is bad news, as Horace will join them. Thankfully, you can skirt around their attack ranges, as the game seems to helpfully hint at by gluing this Knight in place.

This Archer isn’t with Horace, though.

I’m gonna gently caress up that Archer.

Whoa, you were supposed to shoot Dolph! Not cool.

Yikes. There’s pretty much the only thing that will threaten you on this map.

And he’s brought a friend. Be careful not to get into the Archanean Knight’s attack range. You can be in the Cavalier’s ranges, or even Horace’s, without them attacking, but for some reason the Knights specifically count. This map’s a little wonky like that.

Sedgar was just getting bored, so I gambled a little. It paid off!

With the mages out of the way, Marth can visit this village. Which is definitely the only one on this map. Just clarifying.

: After the palace fell, though, he bent his knee to the Dolhrian emperor and has been servin’ him ever since. For that, folks call him a traitor and say he tarnished his knightly brethren’s reputation. Well, that’s a load of hogwash.

Hogwash is a great word.

: He broke his knightly oaths to protect us! Not ’cause he’s some traitor. Please, sire, you have to help clear his name. Here…Lord Horace’s father, bless him, gave me this weapon as a gift long ago. I know he’d be glad to see it used to restore his son’s honor.

Well, we won’t be using it on this map, but it is pretty good. It’s the Lance version of the Killing Edge, as you probably guessed.

Sedgar saunters forth, Devil Axe at the ready. Please ignore that strange formation of forest that looks like a village.

Instead, focus on what a cruel trap that Save Point is.

I got obscenely lucky here (That huge gap in screenshot titles is for a DIFFERENT reason.), Sedgar hit twice with the Devil Axe and didn’t take a hit from the Manakete.

Frey can lure out the bow wielders now. Dejanira doesn’t move, so these seem like the last real threats. This map is sort of a pushover, yeah.

So long as you don’t step into this area, you should be fine. I think. Pretty sure.

This sniper is notable for having a better weapon than the boss he’s right next to. C’mon, Dejanira.

A level, but not a dead Sniper. I’ll need a finisher.

Unfortunately, the fearsome reinforcements have arrived!

It’s...one Pirate with an Iron Axe.

: Our greatest champion rises to face Dejanira. Unafraid. Unflappable.

: He puts up a brave fight. Sweat pours from his brow, and he bleeds Altean blue.

: But this is the death of Penvo. They say that, in his last breath, he gave Marth the courage to face the Empire. And taught the world to love.

Meanwhile this pirate will get here eventually. Setup.

Response.

Results.

Maybe Athena can succeed where Penvo failed. I’m not attacking this turn, just getting in position.

OH poo poo TWO PIRATES THE STAKES HAVE BEEN RAISED.

Actually, it’s three, the one in the fort south of here showed up again. Apparently if you let the map go much longer, the other forts start to generate them as well.

We’ll need our defenses at full strength to accost our aquatic adversaries.

Jagen’s now officially gained more Magic than most of my natural magic classes in these games. Dammit, Lena.

Athena didn’t quite finish Dejanira, but Marth takes care of it. Once the boss dies, reinforcements also quit spawning, but we do have those three Pirates still up.

Deploy the welcome wagon!

Goodbye, Welcome Wagon.

Still, they don’t last long after that.

Now, you’ll get the good ending to this map (and a new unit) if you finish it without killing Horace.

But that DOES only apply to Horace.

Nobody said anything about his men.

What I do, I do for the experience points.

Ahem. :toot:

Fade out…

And we’re at the castle now.

: Spare the lives of my soldiers and treat my people kindly, and you may do with me as you see fit.

nobody tell him

Stacheman!

: Dolhr threatened him, said they’d raze the land corner to corner if he didn’t comply. So you see-

: Hush! You’ve said enough.

: But, Lord Horace…

: I betrayed my fellow knights and besmirched their good name. I will not dress up my sins as kindnesses! I accept my punishment. Allow me to die a knight’s death.

Give her a second, she’ll be up in a bit for this cutscene.

: …! Princess Nyna?

: Horace. I heard what you said. And you have it quite right. Your crimes deserve death, or worse.

I don’t think Nyna knows how this army operates, like half of our forces tried to kill us at one point.

: But I shall give you no knight’s death. I shall give you a traitor’s life. You say you will not dress up your sins. I say you will not run from them either.

: Your Highness…! Are you saying you wish me to live?

: You did all in your power to protect these people. That was honorable, Horace. But if you die today, no one will remember you for anything but your one act of betrayal. Your soldiers will have to bear that shame in your stead. Do you call that justice?

: …..

: Starting today, you shall prove to the world there was value in your actions. Show us a traitor’s worth. Show us what the soldiers who fought and died for you saw to be true.

: I...I do not know what to say.

: I have claimed your life, Horace. You have no say.

Wow, Nyna, lay off of it a bit. :stonk:

: Heh...Very well, Your Highness. As you command.

Map’s done! :toot:

Now, if I were to put a second village in this map, one that might easily be missed on the second take of an LP playthrough...it would say something like this.

: Are you with the League? Please, sir, I’m beggin’ ya…You have to help Lord Horace. He’s always looked out for us small folk, before and after he inherited the land. He’s a pillar of strength, he is. We’d be dead if he hadn’t made the tough choices he did. The least we can do is rescue him from his plight now. Here, I’ve got this magic tome one of our villagers found after the last battle on our soil. You take it, and find some way to save him. Promise!

And Jagen would totally say it, and then give you a Blizzard tome. Theoretically.

Horace has some pretty drat strong base stats for this point in the game. This is good, because he’ll need them, his growths are horrible. His highest is a 15 in Luck.. Still he’s pretty usable, especially on Normal.

Next time we do what might be the worst chapter in the game.

Bonus Content
There’s no Horace card.

The Assistant Leader of the Wolf Knights, Sedgar

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You're soulless and I love you. I'm giving this thread a 511

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Doplh? DOLPH?! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLPH

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I refuse to accept a reality where Penvo, best son of Archanea and true hero, died.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

I refuse to accept a reality where Penvo, best son of Archanea and true hero, died.

In the other timeline I don't think Penvo existed at all.

This LP is designed to make you make the hard choices.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Better to have loved and lost.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I'm pretty sure I try to rate this thread 5 after every update.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

My 3DS broke 2 months ago so this LP was hurting me a bit as it was pretty close to a fire emblem machine, but now I've mourned and its time to catch up.

Edit: Caught up. I love the everyone dies chapters, except when you killed Linde, you monster.

Imagine a timeline where she gets Def on level up and eats all the shields and robes, go on imagine it. I did that. I swear she could solo the game. Shes my favorite.

Fire Emblem LPs mess me up a bit because youre so underleveled from using units once or twice and soaking up the EXP, I normally start promoting this chapter.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 14, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

Better to have loved and lost.

i'm sorry

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
RIP Penvo. Gunned down in his prime.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

This is Navarrles Barkley tier of good content, thank you as always.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

RIP Penvo. Gunned down in his prime.

Technically it was a Steel Lance.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 13: Pretty Much Just Me Sighing For Several Images (Prep)

Welcome back to the main run. Last time we managed to take back Archanea Palace.

Now it’s time to hate video games.

GODDAMMIT.

: the dreaded “Wooden Cavalry”. Missiles crashed down, rocking the earth as the enemy ballistae rumbled forward. Had Marth and the League any hope of triumphing over such firepower?

: No.

: Nae.

Time to give Marth those boots, they’ll come in handy on this map, because crossing it as quickly as possible is pretty important.

Make sure to bring Midia along on this one. I dropped Jeorge for her, otherwise our lineup is looking pretty typical. It’s a good idea to restrict fliers and squishy units for this map.

There are three main “Lanes” here. The top one is the least dangerous.

The middle is where you’ll want to put Midia, as well as probably a healer, because there are a lot of dangers ahead.

The bottom group only gets three character slots, so put your hefty guys here. Vulneraries aren’t a bad idea for this map. They’re never a bad idea, really.

And, if you haven’t guessed already by my consistent whining throughout this entire update, I would now like to present you with the cast of enemies for this chapter.

:smith: :smith:

FOUR OF ‘EM and also this guy, who Midia has to talk to. Why, no, she’s not very sturdy, why do you ask? :smith:

And three on bottom. And there are quite a few Arrowspates, so don’t think you can just Caeda this one. Welcome to Ballista Hell.

The boss should not be surprising.

There are 17 enemies on this map.

14 of them are Ballisticians.

Maybe this village will help us!

M...maybe….

bonus content i guess

Let’s try and squeeze personality out of Tomas.

: Haha, that was incredible wasn't it? Did you see it, Steve?

: Yeah, but if you ask me, it was more like…

: Man, it swept over your head and THEN hit the apple!

: Did you forget it also grazed Sir Jagen's throat when he was passing by...? I'll never, ever forget the wrath in Sir Jagen's face at that time.

: Sir Jagen's tempestuous and unending sermon was just as incredible!

: He even got angry at me, too... Honestly. We're lucky nothing bad happened since Prince Marth stuck up for us, but...

: Yeah, Prince Marth is really kind. I must polish my bow skills more and more so I can repay my debt!

: You're really stubborn aren't you, Tomas...? Oh well, if you're going to train now anyway, I suppose I'll keep you company. ...We'll be in trouble if somebody else got hurt, after all.

: Yay! Thank you! Then, please take this! Thanks!

: Huh? A grape? Wait, didn't your target shrink too much all of sudden?

: Ready, go!

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 17, 2017

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Oh hey, this is the map they used for Fates's Ballistician DLC

It uh....is suddenly very clear why they chose this map, I suppose.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I want to say that in the original game ballisticians could only attack 2 spaces away, like archers, so this map was piss-easy.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

: Who is Chris? I don't know any Chrises, I'm Steve.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

rannum posted:

Oh hey, this is the map they used for Fates's Ballistician DLC

It uh....is suddenly very clear why they chose this map, I suppose.

Fates has a Ballistician DLC?

That's terrible.

Camel Pimp posted:

I want to say that in the original game ballisticians could only attack 2 spaces away, like archers, so this map was piss-easy.

Only like, 2 of them can move, thankfully.

AweStriker posted:

: Who is Chris? I don't know any Chrises, I'm Steve.

Ah gently caress I avoided it for this long.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Fates has a Ballistician DLC?

That's terrible.

Yeah, it & the Witch are the two classic classes they brought back for dlc. They might be the gimmickiest class in the game and you basically have to go out of your way to dump resources into one to make it worth while. They move up to 5 spaces, can use bows normally, or use their launch command to fire a + shaped set of arrows on the over world (so you could theoretically hit up to 5 enemeis at once) . Their entire skill set is devoted to supporting this.
Note that, like the stationary ballista/launcher/magic orb, they can't actually kill anyone using their launch command. its just to weaken things up to 1 hp.

To say the witch is a better deal is putting it lightly, shall we say.

THey look neat in motion, though. Riding around giant wooden tanks, basically.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

LordHippoman posted:

Ah gently caress I avoided it for this long.

On the other hand, Tomas has an actual character trait now: he's awful with names.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

AweStriker posted:

On the other hand, Tomas has an actual character trait now: he's awful with names.

Also he just straight-up nearly kills people by practicing in really ill-advised ways. Of course, in Shadow Dragon, he really is just completely generic, thanks to having fewer lines than most of the random villagers. Shadow Dragon didn't really do much to expand upon the cast, it wasn't until New Mystery that most of these guys got anything resembling personality. Much as I liked Shadow Dragon, it was actually pretty meh, in terms of writing, especially compared to the games both before and after it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

EclecticTastes posted:

Also he just straight-up nearly kills people by practicing in really ill-advised ways. Of course, in Shadow Dragon, he really is just completely generic, thanks to having fewer lines than most of the random villagers. Shadow Dragon didn't really do much to expand upon the cast, it wasn't until New Mystery that most of these guys got anything resembling personality. Much as I liked Shadow Dragon, it was actually pretty meh, in terms of writing, especially compared to the games both before and after it.
poo poo like this is why everything that's been revealed about SoV so far is heartening. It looks like they're really trying to incorporate the lessons from Shadow Dragon.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I actually like thiis chapter, I dont think I've ever been hit with a ballista. So its like a free win. Also my playstyle means Midia is my only Horsy so I like her.

Can I ask why you use Vulneries? Ive literally never touched them outside of a forced tutorial. Exp for the staff gods and blood for the combat gods and all that.

I'm a bit worried about 15, there was an article that said no "Battle Supports" and I have no idea what that means since its basically in the middle of 3 different mechanics, and if it means no actual supports like 11 here, I dont think I can do that.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Vulneraries are great because you can heal without needing a healer around. So if you have some units that need to heal but the healer can't get to them or it's too dangerous for them to be there, vulneraries are very nice . Try playing with an unit composed of units with higher move, like more Paladins/Draco's.

SoV's probably has something like supports. We've seen something that looks like support bonuses, we've seen the red heart things for Fates/Awakening. But we haven't seen any pair up in it. So there's a good chance they meant "no pair up or dual attacks" when they said "no battle supports". Plus, they've given some characters conversations before battle, so I think they're trying to avoid how FE11 has a lot of units that never get a chance to express themselves.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

MythosDragon posted:

I actually like thiis chapter, I dont think I've ever been hit with a ballista. So its like a free win. Also my playstyle means Midia is my only Horsy so I like her.

Can I ask why you use Vulneries? Ive literally never touched them outside of a forced tutorial. Exp for the staff gods and blood for the combat gods and all that.

I'm a bit worried about 15, there was an article that said no "Battle Supports" and I have no idea what that means since its basically in the middle of 3 different mechanics, and if it means no actual supports like 11 here, I dont think I can do that.

Pair Up and the Attack/Defense stances are gone (so far as we know), but supports are definitely in and provide the usual boosts to avoid if nothing else. We've also seen some in-battle "Talks" with units you already have so its also feasible we're going back to in-battle talks rather than base talks.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

MythosDragon posted:

I typically only have one or two stave users out at once, and they can't cover the whole map outside of Physic, which has a pretty precious 10 Uses. I also tend to use units who are big chunks of HP (See: Barst) and can hold out pretty well with just a little sustainability.

Vulneraries/Elixirs are great for any unit that needs to block a choke, especially if they can't have a healer glued to the back of them because of ranged weapon users. 10 HP is pretty big early game to mid game, and even late it can make the difference between 1 HP and 0 HP. If you're running a team that uses more tanky staff users/staff users in general, or one that relies more on dodges, I can see why you wouldn't want them.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

rannum posted:

Pair Up and the Attack/Defense stances are gone (so far as we know), but supports are definitely in and provide the usual boosts to avoid if nothing else. We've also seen some in-battle "Talks" with units you already have so its also feasible we're going back to in-battle talks rather than base talks.

It makes sense that Pair Up would be removed for the remake of Gaiden, it would require a massive overhaul to the mission design to compensate, and would ultimately result in an experience too far removed from the original Gaiden to feel like a proper remake. Supports seem to exist as they did in previous games (though the exact numeric benefits are not yet clear), as you've observed, and character skills may also be included, but I can't see actual in-combat support happening this time around.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Sov already solves the problem of lack of personality on characters by having.everyone speak at every single level up, being selected for turns, and they're expanding the story a ton.

Mae has more personality in 20 seconds than basically most of shadow dragon so far.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

LordHippoman posted:

I typically only have one or two stave users out at once, and they can't cover the whole map outside of Physic, which has a pretty precious 10 Uses. I also tend to use units who are big chunks of HP (See: Barst) and can hold out pretty well with just a little sustainability.

Vulneraries/Elixirs are great for any unit that needs to block a choke, especially if they can't have a healer glued to the back of them because of ranged weapon users. 10 HP is pretty big early game to mid game, and even late it can make the difference between 1 HP and 0 HP. If you're running a team that uses more tanky staff users/staff users in general, or one that relies more on dodges, I can see why you wouldn't want them.

I guess its just my playstyle being hyper efficient, If I dont plan to use a character they dont get a single bit of EXP ever and actions that dont give EXP just arnt efficient enough for me. This leads to the first few chapters being the hardest chapters since the characters I plan to use are never around till like chapter 4, but right here is where I break the game over my knee completely because every single one of my characters is Level 17 or so by now and a few are promoting.

If someone ever make a hyper efficient LP writing program(HA) I'd probably do a FE LP myself to see how this feels and leave myself at the mercy of the thread. Thanks for humoring me.

Since I mentioned it, I always imagined you guys had a specific word program that let you directly upload images where you wanted them and perfectly matched the format you'd get posting here, none of this manual nonsense that nearly gave me a mental breakdown when I tried to LP Growlanser 4.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 13: Pretty Much Just Me Sighing For Several Images (Battle)

Ironically this was way easier than I thought it be. I did get fairly lucky. It’s still a bad map because Ballisticians are just not fun to play against.

: Nonetheless we must face them head-on; they stand between us and Altea.

: That hunger for danger worries me, Marth. Humanity’s hopes rest on your shoulders. I would sooner not see them crushed.

Way to pass the buck there, Nyna. You’re part of this royal mystic poo poo too.

: Which? Humanity’s hopes, or my shoulders? …Have a little faith, Nyna. The enemy ballisticians can strike from afar, but they’re powerless up close. All we need to do is move in and silence them before they do too much damage. Watch!

Marth is so dead.

Wow. That’s a lot of red.

Here it is with just the Arrowspates marked. Caeda is going to have quite a bit of trouble advancing on this map.

Squishy units like Linde, Maria, and Julian need to stay back, because they’ll die pretty quick...at least to anything physical. Holy poo poo, does she really have 15 Res?

Everyone who can charges the enemy Ballistas, and here’s the trick to this map. Stonehoists have poo poo accuracy. It’s almost always in the 30’s. Much of your success on this map, without fancy Warp tricks n’ such, will be weighed upon how many times Stonehoist misses, because there are a ton of them and they’re difficult to avoid.

That said, remember that Ballistas are useless to anything within 2 squares. Cain is safe here...from this set.

I’m not going to show every single Ballista shot because that would take forever and be dull as hell.

Just know that this guy chose to advance forwards. He has movement points.

This did not end well for him.

Old Man Wendell also took a hit, so Maria’s Physic stave is going to be pretty drat crucial. This is probably Physic’s best map, which is a heavy statement to make.

This guy also has 4 movement. I’m not sure why there are only two of them that do this, and it’s these very arbitrary two.

I really just do not get this map in general, I guess.

Still, he ain’t going anywhere now.

And that frees up a slot for Wendell to work his magic. Literally. Ballisticians have gross Defense, but their Res is as awful as any other melee class in this game.

And with the Arrowspates dealt with, Caeda can move into position. Don’t be afraid to rush these first few turns, the less of these Ballista around, the better your odds of survival.

Here’s a slightly better shot of Stonehoist’s animation. The rock shatters and explodes into rubble, it’s pretty neat, but hard to get in screenshot form.

Also, Astram attacks his girlfriend. While she is in range of two different Ballistas.

Well, this was a good try. gently caress you, Astram.

But there was a miracle. The miracle of “These Two Guys Didn’t Even Fire”.

I don’t know how it happened, or why it happened. Maybe Shadow Dragon’s taking mercy on me. Maybe it’s like “Oh, hey, you’re a little over halfway done, you’re on the Ballista chapter, we feel you.”

But I do know that I’m healing Midia IMMEDIATELY.

Also, visiting a village. I’ll let Astram stew and feel bad for a while.

Oh. Is that what Archanea Palace is called? I think it is.

: After my shameful defeat there, see, I took refuge in this village. And when I heard your army was marchin’ this way, I readied my ballista, hopin’ for another taste of battle. So how ’bout it, princey? Take me along! I’m packin’ thunderbolts, see? The enemy ballisticians’ll never know what hit ’em!

Thunderbolt, huh?

Beck is extremely similar to Jake. He’s got slightly better HP and a bit more Speed, but if your Ballistician is getting attacked and risking being doubled, they’re probably in deep poo poo anyway. Jake’s got the edge in Skill, which is what really matters for Ballisticians. I don’t really like them, as I said, but Beck’s got a special bit of utility for this map.

See that Thunderbolt?

Welcome to effective Magic Damage at a Ballista range against any and all Ballisticians.

You’re alright, Beck. You’re alright.

Of course, we can’t ignore the classics. South side, looking good.

Alright, time for this donkus.

After you hit her twice she was nearly there!

: Oh, Astram! How could you not have heard? Archanea is free! The Altean army came, and liberated the palace along with all the hostages within! Now we fight as one. Come with us, Astram! You needn’t dance to Dolhr’s fiddle any longer.

That is the look of a lady who is heavily considering telling him she “needs to talk”, for a multitude of reasons.

: Now you can. We can take them together.

: That we can. …Midia. I am sorry I left you alone. I will not make that mistake again.

I don’t think they ever explain where Astram was when the castle fell. Midia was with Nyna.

: No, you certainly won’t. Now that I have you back…you’ll find me exceedingly reluctant to let you go.

: Ooh… Yes, I can see that! Just take care you don’t crush me instead of Dolhr!

If you asked me for a summary of Astram as a unit, I’d probably just kinda shrug at you. He’s alright. His growths aren’t terrible, he’s got an extremely respectable 30 in Strength, for example, but he’s going to hurt for defensive stats outside of HP. Those are awful bases for a Hero, but the B in Swords out of the box does him a lot of favors.

I wouldn’t call him a “good” unit, but he’s not “bad” either. He’s pretty okay.

He can also chat with Marth!

: Correct, Sir Astram.

: …Forgive my lack of courtesy, but you and I need to be clear on a certain point.

: Oh?

: While I have decided to lend you my sword, my allegiance lies with Princess Nyna-not you, my lord. I will follow your orders, but should I learn you have been false to her, or that you are manipulating her… Heads will roll.

That’s about the closest thing Astram gets to a catchphrase. In that he also says it in the sequel. Look, you get what you can with Shadow Dragon characters.

: Well, Sir Astram…in the interest of keeping my head atop my shoulders, let me suggest this: Fight with me. Watch me, and then judge for yourself whether I am worthy of your skill and of your help.

: …… Hmm, very well. Your orders then, Lord Marth.

Alternatively, you could just watch his girlfriend. She’s pretty convincing.

Never too many of these.

I decided to use BOTH Physics on Midia, because I’m paranoid.

Abel, meanwhile, being one of our bulkiest allies, is just going to march in and say hello.

Yikes. Not only is Thunderbolt a danger to other Ballistas, it’s magic damage, so keep an eye on it even if you’re using, say, Wolf, to tank these.

These two still refused to fire. I’m questioning if they even want to be here.

But they ARE worth experience.

:effort:

I’m not too worried putting Wendell in Thunderbolt range to patch Abel up. Magic Damage cuts both ways!

Now we can start creeping up on the boss. This is where things start to get very, very dangerous.

Whoops, excuse me, Ogma’s gotta clean up real quick.

Impressive how he can just carry that around.

The other Thief goes down to a Julian/Marth tag team. The thieves on this map are especially nonthreatening.

This spot is outside Arrowspate range, but close enough that I’m hoping Caeda will draw a little fire from the other Ballista.

: Hmph! Care to see what steel the Wooden Cavalry is really made of?

Why didn’t they call it the Steel Cavalry? (He shot at Midia instead)

There’s a Stonehoist, Thunderbolt, Arrowspate, and the Boss’ Pachyderm in this tiny area. Anyone you send in here is going to need good defenses and a little luck. The concept, not the stat.

Let’s get rid of one nuisance. I imagine that, after taking this guy out, you’re meant to use Beck’s Thunderbolt on the boss. But I want that experience on someone else, since I’m probably not using him.

Time to patch Abel up and see what we’re working with.

Grigas is the most dangerous boss so far. 27 Damage. In that range. And he’s got an Arrowspate and Stonehoist in the back to back him up, along with a Cleric to patch him up. Obviously you’ll want to remove his support, but the Arrowspate is more likely to hit for less damage, while the Stonehoist has bad accuracy, but a bigger payload. Be careful here.

Allow me to demonstrate not being careful.

Maybe they’ll waste a shot on Caeda!

I wasn’t that lucky. That’s 18! On Barst!

I know you can’t see it too well here, but that’s Barst casually leaning to the left and saving the run.

And now we’re going to get rid of this rear end in a top hat before he heals too much. This also puts Barst in a position where he’s safe from the Pachyderm.

Abel and Caesar doubleteam and down the Arrowspate.

Using both Physics to patch up our damaged units gives levels to each healer.

But Caesar’s also in the blast zone.

Another lucky miss. Thankfully I picked the Arrowspate to down first, because it almost certainly would have hit and killed Caesar.

No more of that.

The handy thing about Grigas is that when he’s all alone, he can’t cover his sides at all.

The super loving obnoxious thing about Grigas is his 16 Defense and ability to vaporize pretty much any Mage trying to get in range.

Still, with a little persuading…(Barst missed for 3 turns in a row here.)

We’re all done here.

That’s not the prince, that’s Barst. Blue hair, I know.

: General Camus and his Sable Order will be upon you rabble very… soon…and you will die…on the lance… of the greatest warrior…alive…

They...actually won’t be “on us” for a while, but good talk.

Little bit of shopping before we end things here.

And :toot: :toot: :toot:

gently caress :toot: Ballistas :toot: Forever :toot:

: Today, there was this commoner… She mentioned Grust was divided about the war. Some of its people wanted to fight with Altea, she said…Ever since I lost my father and kingdom, I’ve held nothing but hate in my heart for Gra and Grust…

Fun fact, you can meet that “commoner”. She’s in the house by the Armory, and she basically just says “wow Dolhr sucks I wish we could be on your side, but Camus got to us first.”

: And now you find your hate for them has been lessened?

: No… the hate remains. I will never forget the pain they inflicted upon me, the rage I felt. Yet now, at least, I can tell you it’s not just hate…Not anymore.

: Not all evils are wrought of evil purposes. Perhaps this sounds naive, but…A true leader needs to look at his opponent and see more than just an enemy.

: ….

Next time we get to fight someone who kinda goes against Nyna’s whole thesis there.

Let’s avenge Frey :black101:

Bonus Content

The Incredibly Persistent Assho-

The Love Longing Brave, Astram

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 19, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I like the basic idea behind a map like this. Maybe throw in a few mages with long range tomes on both sides and turn it into a sniper's map, but this one feels unpolished. Like they just threw the ballisticians at it and called it a day. I think they could have done more

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You'd think there would be a clause in Astram's AI to stop him from attacking Midia, or at the very least, special dialogue if it happens. But nope, nothing. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

If you asked me for a summary of Astram as a unit, I’d probably just kinda shrug at you.

Whereas I'd go on a long, profanity-laden rant about how much I hate this son of a gently caress :v:

I MEAN LOOK AT THIS poo poo

He literally only has one single point of skill more than Ogma would have if he promoted the moment he joins the party in chapter 2, and he has even less HP, Jesus gently caress Astram what are you doing with your life what chain of events led you to become this loving awful-

Blaze Dragon posted:

You'd think there would be a clause in Astram's AI to stop him from attacking Midia, or at the very least, special dialogue if it happens. But nope, nothing. :effort:

And also there's that (an ailment Astram isn't the only one to suffer from, admittedly).

:arghfist::saddowns: Astram.

(But hey, at least there's a Shadow Dragon character who inspires me to feel something other than blank indifference!)

• Locked thread