Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Comments threads in the /rugbyunion subreddit?

e: since snype, any thoughts on the Super Rugby rumblings that the Brumbies/Rebels will combine and the Kings/Cheetahs get the axe?

I have no issue with the Jaguares or Sunwolves being retained as that will help grow the domestic comps in Japan and Argentina (even though SWs are off to a dismal start and look to have all sorts of management issues, I'm hoping that will come right).

The Kings can gently caress off, they never should have been brought in and it was stupid of SA to push for it. Really the only teams I feel for are the Cheetahs as they put out quality players annually that are then poached as they hit their prime. I also feel a bit for the Brumbies from what I read while they are a strong team there isn't as much "market potential" in Canberra as there is in Melbourne so :byewhore:

butros fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

butros posted:

I also feel a bit for the Brumbies from what I read while they are a strong team there isn't as much "market potential" in Canberra as there is in Melbourne so :byewhore:

Hi there. I grew up in Canberra as a Brumbies fan and live in Melbourne as a footy fan.

If they merge the Brumbies into the Rebels and move them to Melbourne, it will be the beginning of Rugby Union in Australia's death spiral. Rugby in Perth is literally never going to fly. Rugby in Melbourne is always going to be a 2nd or 3rd rate sport in terms of coverage and sponsorship. Brisbane and Sydney are a little different, but they're not under any form of threat.

I've been to the last 3 Rebels-Brumbies games and the crowds are absolutely pathetic. Maybe they get better when expats from SA or NZ show, but I highly doubt it. Putting a good Rugby team in Melbourne isn't going to overcome the spending advantage the Melbourne Storm have, and even if the ARU wins that slapfight that only leaves you on track to be the 11th most popular sporting team in Melbourne (at the absolute very best).

Canberra is the largest market without considerable competition from either the NRL (the Raiders exist, but they're mostly an embarrassment for people from "the other side of town") or AFL (GWS plays games in Canberra and has Canberra written where the club initials usually go, but it's viewed as a Sydney thing being transplanted rather than as a Canberra thing) has a surprisingly rabid fanbase and a surprisingly active juniors set up not mentioning how their training set up is light years ahead of what the Rebels have scrounged up, if the ARU pulls out those things are literally never coming back. Canberrans are fickle, but they won't forget it.
I've got family friends who are hard right conservative but who still won't forgive the territory liberals for the 2 or 3 times they promised to build a pool in Belconnen only to conveniently forget about it later.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 16, 2017

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

bigfoot again posted:

Where can I read non-poo poo six nations analysis. Guardian is terrible and there's no way I'm touching times or telegraph

Rugby World is alright and Planet Rugby have an analyst that looks at specific parts of games that is really well detailed but not comprehensive.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Your Scotland team destined to Scotland once more assuming Hogg, Seymour and Wilson don't have a serious concussion relapse before Saturday.

Only change is Matt Scott in for Mark Bennett on the bench and Ross Ford moving to start and Fraser Brown drops to the naughty step bench. Hopefully they've looked at the serious defensive errors made last week and shored that up or the Italian centres and Parisse are going to loving bury Scotland.

1. Gordon Reid (Glasgow Warriors)
2. Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby)
3. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors)
4. Richie Gray (Toulouse)
5. Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors)
6. John Barclay CAPTAIN (Scarlets)
7. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby)
8. Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors)
9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors)
10. Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors)
11. Tim Visser (Harlequins)
12. Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors)
13. Huw Jones (Stormers)
14. Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors)
15. Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors)

16. Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors)
17. Allan Dell (Edinburgh Rugby)
18. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh Rugby)
19. Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors)
20. Cornell Du Preez (Edinburgh Rugby)
21. Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors)
22. Duncan Weir (Edinburgh Rugby)
23. Matt Scott (Gloucester)

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Holy poo poo.

Blues vs Crusaders first half sees the Blues way out in front.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ref's doing his best to help the Crusaders though.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Nothing to worry about - the Crusaders are smashing the Blues with rolling mauls (and a dubious try in Christchurch).

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Obstruction? Looked like tackled without the ball to me...

Edit: Doesn't matter anyway

ElectroMagneticJosh fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 17, 2017

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Richie Gray hasn't recovered from his hamstring injury so Grant "Made of Glass" Gilchrist will replace him. :(

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I thought the Chiefs - Rebels game was tomorrow night. In a totally unselfish move, calculated to introduce my new flatmate (from Melbourne) to rugby, I offered to buy her the $100 bottle of Vintage Rose Champagne she was interested in if the Rebels won.

Given the last two Rebels games vs NZ teams, then comparing them to how the Chiefs had gone against the same opponents I was confident

Cue me realising the game was tonight and checking the score at 14 - 14 with 7 mins to go...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

slothrop posted:

I thought the Chiefs - Rebels game was tomorrow night. In a totally unselfish move, calculated to introduce my new flatmate (from Melbourne) to rugby, I offered to buy her the $100 bottle of Vintage Rose Champagne she was interested in if the Rebels won.

Given the last two Rebels games vs NZ teams, then comparing them to how the Chiefs had gone against the same opponents I was confident

Cue me realising the game was tonight and checking the score at 14 - 14 with 7 mins to go...

Mate, for the rebels to have been that close and for having kept it a respectable score I think you should cough it up.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

Ref's doing his best to help the Crusaders though.

That was some questionable reffing, alright.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I wonder what Glen Jackson would have been thinking, being a Kiwi officiating such a crappy game of Rugby. gently caress, we've really fulfilled our destiny of being bad at the game. I don't know how we managed to keep it respectable until now, but there's nothing papering over the underlying problems anymore. Changing back to four teams might make things a bit more palatable, but with talk of it being the Brumbies, that's not likely to turn out well either.

NewAccountUsername
May 5, 2006

Vaders Jester posted:

Your Scotland team destined to Scotland once more

At the start of the tournament I was bored and looking to bet so I put money on this game being the lowest scoring match overall.

Now I think I was an idiot. Was I an idiot?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yes. Scotland came into the tournament looking solid, while Italy's defence is garbage and their attack is completely unpredictable in the "what the gently caress are they doing now?" sense. Someone is going to score points.

edit - The conditions are going to temper all of that somewhat though.

edit 2 - Hm, the lowest aggregate so far is 28. That's actually pretty high. There's normally one game bogged down around 20 points.

goatface fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 18, 2017

NewAccountUsername
May 5, 2006

Thought so. If only betting wasn't so fun.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
This game is incredible; both sides are showing equal levels of incompetence.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Not A Vet Yet posted:

Thought so. If only betting wasn't so fun.

You might still win if they keep up this level of "skill".

edit - Ref included.

NewAccountUsername
May 5, 2006

goatface posted:

You might still win if they keep up this level of "skill".

edit - Ref included.

I think I'm the only Scottish guy to be enjoying it.

That guy just fell over for no reason 5m from the line.

Edit - oh looks like he's injured, too bad

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The pitch is currently tackling better than Italy.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Not the most exciting match but the weather is truly shite here. At least Scotland are taking what chances they're creating but the second half is going to have to be better. Good to see Matt Scott back in though a shame that Jones had to go off to make it happen.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That Italian kicker needs to aim a few degrees to the right.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

goatface posted:

That Italian kicker needs to aim a few degrees to the right.

I like that he checks hes still got arms before each kick

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

I'm glad that Nige was on hand to remind the ref of the laws of the game earlier on though.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not knowing the rules has been a big feature of the tournament this year.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

jfc Italy

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What a shitshow of a final pass.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

:ughh:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He could have just kept his line and dived.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

"But Hogg's 1 on 1 defence is terr:fuckoff:"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it was all part of the master plan to draw the yellow card.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Get Gilchrist off. What a moron.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the second yellow card if they don't stop loving about.

Just grant the loving penalty try already.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Lol

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh my God

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Vaders Jester posted:

"But Hogg's 1 on 1 defence is terr:fuckoff:"

To be fair the Italian did tackle himself on Hogg

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Italy Scotlanding it harder that Scotland.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Absolute clusterfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

goatface posted:

Maybe the second yellow card if they don't stop loving about.

Just grant the loving penalty try already.

I think this is the same ref that yellow carded 4 Scarlets against Glasgow instead of giving a penalty try.