Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

If art was truly celebrated in this world there would be a faithful anime version of the entire Getter Robo manga with an infinite budget.

Also getter robo would have been allowed to end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Schwarzwald posted:

I loved Shin Mazinger but it was not a success by most measures.

Apparently we do in fact live in the shittiest loving timeline don't we?

What kind of world is it where Shin Mazinger isn't successful?

A WORLD FULL OF TRUMPY MOE rear end gently caress THAT'S WHAT KIND OF WORLD IT IS. :argh:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

moe is good. any recommendations on a moe robot show?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

Zone of the Enders Dolores : I

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Captain Rufus posted:

Apparently we do in fact live in the shittiest loving timeline don't we?

What kind of world is it where Shin Mazinger isn't successful?

A WORLD FULL OF TRUMPY MOE rear end gently caress THAT'S WHAT KIND OF WORLD IT IS. :argh:

I really have mixed thoughts about the show. I think I love it more for the kind of show it tried to be more than the show it actually was.

dogsicle posted:

Diebuster.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

As much as I enjoy Shin Mazinger, if I could make one anime not a flop it'd be pretty far down on my list. I'm happy with what we got.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Droyer posted:

Zone of the Enders Dolores : I

ZoE: Dolores, i was at least a fairly fun show. And fairly unique for having a middle-aged trucker with a family as the protagonist.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

dogsicle posted:

Reconguista in G

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Marcross is pretty moe.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I would be elated to get a dougram remake.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

So I finished Fafner Exodus. It was really cool! I'm really glad I decided to start Fafner, I've really enjoyed the ride and am now eagerly awaiting The Beyond. The main criticisms I have of the franchise as a whole is that it starts kinda slow, and they throw a lot of terminology at you and expect you to infer the meaning. Also it isn't really a complaint, but the power escalation is insane, especially in Exodus when everyone gets superpowers out the wazoo!

As a side note: I swear at the end of ep 24 of Exodus when Kazuki comes to save the day an instrumental version of this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYe1snx1A78 starts playing, which blows my mind. Can anyone confirm this or am I just making a connection that isn't there?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hopefully, this film won't get buttfucked by in-studio advertising disputes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Those Jaegers look a lot more like humans in armor than the old ones did.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kanos posted:

Those Jaegers look a lot more like humans in armor than the old ones did.

anorexic humans in armor, maybe,

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

anorexic humans in armor, maybe,

So, Evangelions?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dammit, I was hoping for a bigger time skip. There's no way those forearms can do rocket punches. :(

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Dammit, I was hoping for a bigger time skip. There's no way those forearms can do rocket punches. :(

That might be what the big one at the back is for.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Speaking of rocket punches, Mazinkaiser is finally getting some Soul of Chogokin love:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm not a big fan of those designs since I think they lack a lot of the feeling of weight in visual design the originals had but Gypsy already had a nice rocket punch variation in the elbow rocket, and I'd prefer it retain that since it's distinctive than get a regular rocket punch.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Since I'm caught up more or less on the stuff I wanted to watch before SRWV hits, I decided to finally check out the first episode of Macross 7.

Seems like it'll be my jam. I thought the fakeout with the vampire imagery with Basara hanging upside down was weird at first, though it turned into quite the stage entrance.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Macross 7's problems don't really start until about 10 episodes in and you realise you've been listing to the same four songs play over the same stock footage for the whole time and nothing else has happened.
Basara is uniquely assholish and unlikeable from the start though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Basara isn't an rear end in a top hat, he's genuinely autistic.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Guy Goodbody posted:

Basara isn't an rear end in a top hat, he's genuinely autistic.

Wait, what? How decently is he portrayed? (It's me, I'm always eager to see anime with autistic folk in it.)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wait, what? How decently is he portrayed? (It's me, I'm always eager to see anime with autistic folk in it.)

He genuinely wants people to understand him and each other through his music, but struggles extremely hard to effectively communicate with people in any other medium.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

M7 starts out really, really slow and it took me like 3 months to get through the first 20 episodes or so, but once I slugged past that I finished the show in a weekend. Basara feels less like a jerk rival-ish type character and more like the actual protagonist of the series around that time.

Also he does things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYps5fUrAWs

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There is legitimately no plot development whatsoever in Macross 7 for about 30 episodes, with far more stock footage and repetitive songs than could ever be acceptable. Basara is also kind of a jerk in a way that just makes him alienating as opposed to, well, anything else you'd want in a MC.

That said the endgame episodes are fairly decent, Gamlin kind of makes up for Basara a little bit, and what music you do get is actually pretty great. Plus you are still getting Max and Milia doing cool stuff. So ultimately I probably still prefer 7 to Zero and Delta because at least it has those positives.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You know it just occurred to me that Max's name is literally Ma(cross).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Is this where I post about Xabungle, because I am watching Xabungle and this show is fun as heck. Everyone is super likable, the action so far is this weird mix of genuine cool stuff and slapstick, and the whole three days concept is a very silly yet strong lynchpin for the whole thing to be based around.

I mean the guy hops out of the Xabungle to jump in a turret in its hands to shoot more robots, a turret he rip off the head of another robot. This show is awesome.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I found Xabungle a little weird at first, because the 3 day rule was so silly to me. It does inform proceedings for a good chunk of the show, but the cast never treat it like it's all that serious so I quickly got over it and Xabungle became one of my favorite mecha/anime once I got in to it. I really need to re-watch it some day, because a lot of the second half is a blur to me after a few years and I find things tend to stick a lot more once I re-watch them. It's a very silly show a lot of the time, but it does have it's serious moments, and I think manages to stick a lot of them. One I particularly liked was Elchie's dad falling out of the window of the big mecha ship. Given the show's tone I expected him to be fine, but he died, and while it should probably come as inconsistent given the slapstick I think it worked in show because the cast reacted accordingly. Especially Elchie. I'll always love that when he died she chose not to chase revenge and instead stuck to her principles and decided that "culture" was more important to her, so she wanted to let it go. It's part of why I dislike the direction she was taken in the second half, since it rather disregards a lot of that character strength.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I read the orignal manga for Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger and Grendizer. They were interesting from a historical perspective, but I don't think they were very good.

After Mazinger Z introduced the important characters the rest of it was just repetitive MOTW stuff until the end of the manga, the plot wasn't even resolved until Great Mazinger. Also I think the anime and manga must have been going on simultaneously, because Boss Borot was just there suddenly one chapter with no explanation.

Great Mazinger was better I'd say, but it did some really weird stuff plot-wise. For example, in one chapter they established that the Great General of Darkness took orders from the Emperor of Darkness, but at the end of the manga he's never confronted. They defeat all of the various generals and then we're just told that the rest of the army give up and slink away, which isn't really satisfying.

Grendizer was blatantly unfinished: At the end of the manga the Vega empire has not been defeated, and it just ends with "But as long as Grendizer is there Earth is surely safe!" which isn't satisfying at all. Also we're given no reason why Grendizer and the Mazingers aren't all working together. All the pilots are around, all the robots are around, and they have cameos in a chapter or two, so why aren't they working together all the time? This seems to me like the obvious thing to do not only from a plot perspective but a fan service perspective as well.

An issue all 3 had was that the main characters seemed like completely different people in the comedic scenes compared to the more serious ones. Something that was neat though was seeing how many plotbeats and specific shots are used and homaged in Shin Mazinger, and I'm really in the mood to rewatch that now.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've only read a bit of Z, but I've heard the issue is that partway through it shifted from being its own thing to a promotional/companion piece for the Toei anime, hence stuff like Borot suddenly popping up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macross 7 is a show with a whole boatload of characterization more than anything. The early pacing is bad but the early bits are also necessary to show the characters and their development. You could probably have cut 10-15 episodes without losing much but at the same time a lot of episodes contain at least a few solid moments that help develop the characters and set up their eventual goals. Gigil would absolutely be less effective without his early bits.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Droyer posted:

Grendizer was blatantly unfinished: At the end of the manga the Vega empire has not been defeated, and it just ends with "But as long as Grendizer is there Earth is surely safe!" which isn't satisfying at all. Also we're given no reason why Grendizer and the Mazingers aren't all working together. All the pilots are around, all the robots are around, and they have cameos in a chapter or two, so why aren't they working together all the time? This seems to me like the obvious thing to do not only from a plot perspective but a fan service perspective as well.
The Ota version gets an ending. And what an ending it is.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
When the first general Mecha thread was created in ADTRW maybe a decade ago, back when there were hardly any mecha fan translations, I remember a few shows that were highly talked up by the few posters who had actually seen them in Japan. Most of them, like Zambot 3 and Ideon, have since been completely fansubbed (and refansubbed), and others, like Reideen, are still being worked on.

But one show I remember that was particularly highly recommended back then was GoShogun, which, outside of one episode in 2009, has never been translated or had any sustained fan effort put toward being translated.

It's just been fully licensed by Discotek, and the full series and movie will be available this June.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-03/discotek-licenses-goshogun-tv-anime-goshogun-the-time-etranger-film/.112975

https://www.facebook.com/Discotekmedia/photos/a.196378827057886.55668.147168055312297/1600664309962657/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/Discotekmedia/photos/a.196378827057886.55668.147168055312297/1600659809963107/?type=3&theater

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 4, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I know nothing about the GoShogun TV series, but I've seen the movie which is (not very) famous for being a direct sequel to a mecha show that doesn't have any mecha in it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Macross 7 update:

:allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gamlin Owns.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

New Eureka Seven movie trilogy announced.

I know this should make me happy but after the last time we had an Eureka Seven movie, not to mention the horrible sequel, I kind of don't want anyone to ever do anything with E7 again. Nothing apart from the original series was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You're in luck since they're compilation movies of the original series, with some new stuff mixed in.