Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

I was about to come into this thread and ask for stuff like this, actually!

I'm completely lost with Path of the Strong. At level 116 I'm currently using a katana and kusa blend, but my killing power has dropped so dramatically. I have both weapons divine, and a full set of Red Demon divine gear, but otherwise I'm clueless about what I should be doing. Pumping amrita into Saorise to get her bonuses up, but otherwise...nada. It's not that I'm struggling to kill anything, it's just that it's taking a lot longer than before and feels like something's wrong with my build.

Unfortunately all the POTS information I can find details optimizing gear and builds for people who are already blazing through the game mode.

Look for Divine gear with green plus marks beside the level indicator on it. Either forge it or look for drops of it. That will be your gear from now on. Gear has a hard level cap of 150, but Divine gear can go beyond that if you soul-match plus-marks with each other. For instance, +2 gear will become +3 if soulmatched with gear that's +2 or greater. Increasing Divine rank gives pretty big bonuses to your kit, and will be your main means of advancement from now on. Divine gear without plus marks, for the record, cannot be improved via soul matching, and should be disassembled for Divine Fragments or sold instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wow, I've been looking for an explanation that simple. Thanks. :haw:

Guess I should tweak my stats to take advantage of scaling and look at the different sets so I know what other attributes to have. Hmm. Thank you for that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Wow, I've been looking for an explanation that simple. Thanks. :haw:

Guess I should tweak my stats to take advantage of scaling and look at the different sets so I know what other attributes to have. Hmm. Thank you for that.

Set bonuses are useful, but optional. I'm onto the Sekigahara region of NG+, and have been rolling the Onmyo Mage's Joi outfit (generic equipment without a set bonus) all the way. Mind you, that's as a magic user. I don't know whether more physical builds need a set bonus to level the playing field for them.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Should I start NG+ right away or help white spirit some more. I'm about 25 even for everything but dexterity magic and spirit

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Alan Smithee posted:

Should I start NG+ right away or help white spirit some more. I'm about 25 even for everything but dexterity magic and spirit

I recommend going to NG+ as soon as possible because the difference in loot is huge

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I AM NATURE'S GREATEST MIRACLE. :black101:

this fight is in path of the strong as well isn't it, oh god

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why is the game named after those two guys anyways

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's literal translation is "benevolent king", but the term's supposedly used to refer to statues that represent the guardians of Buddha and are the personification of his wrath.

Sounds cool basically.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

I keep forgetting about block. :saddowns:

I'm also kind of annoyed there are no female options in the treehouse. There are female NPCs with combat animations already, waaah.

Nobunaga (?) actually has dialogue that addresses this. Something like you can't appear as a woman because the only way to truly know the female form is by smashing.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

poptart_fairy posted:

It's literal translation is "benevolent king", but the term's supposedly used to refer to statues that represent the guardians of Buddha and are the personification of his wrath.

Sounds cool basically.

Interestingly the Nioh are literally Hercules after Indians learned from Greeks, Chinese from Indians, and Japanese from Chinese.

Like buddhists put statues of Hercules in front of their temples in 1600s Japan

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Modest Mao posted:

Interestingly the Nioh are literally Hercules after Indians learned from Greeks, Chinese from Indians, and Japanese from Chinese.

Like buddhists put statues of Hercules in front of their temples in 1600s Japan

This puts William's character in a new perspective

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I don't like the toad boss, or the level he's in. How do you win better?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well that's the best level and the best boss.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
An easy way to boost your damage is to look for +attack bonuses on gloves that can be passed on through soul-matching (the [] > [] icon) and applying it to all of your gear. Also if you're worried about damage iirc Saorise doesn't have any damage boosting passives so maybe another spirit might suit you better

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

The Skeleton King posted:

Stay close, dodge his spear and jumps, then attack from the back. Blocking can work in a pinch but it burns a lot of Ki.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The Skeleton King posted:

dodge the spear thrust by running forward-left and attacking after. Make sure you dont dodge his jump attack right away, there's always a delay. ALWAYS anticipate the 3 combo strike (swipe swipe thrust). If you stand on his blind spot just behind him during the combo you can get a free attack withuot having to dodge it though. Play it enough times you'll know where it is (I forget the direction he swipes)

Phase two make sure you dont get too far away or he'll shoot poo poo at you. Just close enough to bait an attack and move in, just watch for the pipe strike since it's a delayed tracking attack. Also the combo attack changes up and he does a fourth jump attack so watch for that.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Okay, I beat him. I didn't notice that I was overencumbered, so that helped a lot.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 18, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Another round of POTSt Crusher titles, this time from the three Sekigahara bosses. I'm definitely having to mix up my tactics a little more as I approach the endgame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKMss-68wIo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwjBLlSwTcA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9aJLvB2ccY

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I got a spear with earth power, and twin swords with paralysis. Now I have purple effects on my weapons. I am using the Ox spirit and I am wearing all purple so I can have maximum purple. Life is pretty good.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
There seems to be a weird issue with "arena" type sub-missions. Basically, dying on the second "phase" or later of the fights in a given area counts as beating it. I just got the one that had two tongue guys and they killed me, and after I died the "you won" sound played, really weird. This has happened on a few of them now, anyone else?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

It happened to me on one of them, when two wheel-guys killed me. When I respawned they weren't there anymore and I moved on to the next part and it continued like normal.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That happened to me a bunch of times.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Welp the worst boss thus far is Umi-Bozu. What a tedious lovely fight. Everything else has been top-notch or at least free of lame gimmicks.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hercules is cool and good

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

TheHoosier posted:

Welp the worst boss thus far is Umi-Bozu. What a tedious lovely fight. Everything else has been top-notch or at least free of lame gimmicks.

Hyakotto masks and fire absolutely devastate it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I just did level 9, the ninja mansion and there was a kodama I could not figure out how to get to shortly before the boss. I could see skid marks on the floor from a secret door that would exit out of the room it was in, but I couldn't find any way to get in there on the second half of the level.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Holey moley, so I spent an hour or two grinding Revenants to get my gear up to scratch, and tweaked my build to go full Dexterity. Even though I'm mostly in Red Demon armour - seriously, why the hell is that so common - I hit like a goddamn truck with my spinny chain, and all my damage issues have completely disappeared. POTS is no longer a grind. :haw:

Still quite squishy, and my weapon arts aren't optimal, but the advice really helped. Now I just need to find a katana or axe that scales with dexterity...

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I've been rocking Magoichi's set and the damage you can do with a gun on someone unaware is the funniest poo poo to me. Haven't gotten the bandana or pants, but thanks to that accessory that reduces set requirements by one piece, I'm doing fine. Do power pills bump up damage for guns too? I'm going to take this as far as I can.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Holey moley, so I spent an hour or two grinding Revenants to get my gear up to scratch, and tweaked my build to go full Dexterity. Even though I'm mostly in Red Demon armour - seriously, why the hell is that so common - I hit like a goddamn truck with my spinny chain, and all my damage issues have completely disappeared. POTS is no longer a grind. :haw:

Still quite squishy, and my weapon arts aren't optimal, but the advice really helped. Now I just need to find a katana or axe that scales with dexterity...

Red Demon is the Havel of Nioh

I don't use it just out of spite. Instead I forged my own Yagyu set

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm trying to build towards Iga Jonin and Justice Ministry. The former because it scales well with Ninjitsu, the latter because it looks really cool.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Btw does anyone have tips where Veteran set pants might drop? Revenants don't count unfortunately

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?

Digirat posted:

I just did level 9, the ninja mansion and there was a kodama I could not figure out how to get to shortly before the boss. I could see skid marks on the floor from a secret door that would exit out of the room it was in, but I couldn't find any way to get in there on the second half of the level.

Been a while but there's a second trapdoor that's not near the Yoki, could be there?

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
As someone who has been in 7/7 Iga mainly using a kusarigama am I going to want to move away from the Iga set for NG+? I'm starting to get to the end of my first play through and I feel like my build is tapering off.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

Red Demon is the Havel of Nioh

I don't use it just out of spite. Instead I forged my own Yagyu set

Not really. It's not a crutch. It's really just the best general purpose light armor by far.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

And if you like spears, it's so God drat good with spear builds. I use one no regrets.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
They really need to up the drop rates on smithing texts, or make it one text for the whole set. It leads to the sets you can grab from duel missions being wildly overrepresented.

I want to make an obsidian set, but nuts to that.

Edit: It's actually the ebony set, but it's dropped by the obsidian samurai. How many different ways can you say he's black??

Hackan Slash fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 18, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone else been filling out their Crusher title collection on Path of the Strong? I'm finding it a very exciting and satisfying way to play the game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm chipping away at that now in fact! Getting much better at it - not chugging medicine like I did before, and I've got a solid handle on the mechanics. Game is loving fantastic, and even the likes of Dark Souls are going to feel way too slow now. Was caught a little off-guard though:

Went to beat up not-Amygdala for Crusher, and ended up getting the platinum trophy. Didn't even know I'd made that much progress. :psyduck:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm chipping away at that now in fact! Getting much better at it - not chugging medicine like I did before, and I've got a solid handle on the mechanics. Game is loving fantastic, and even the likes of Dark Souls are going to feel way too slow now. Was caught a little off-guard though:

Went to beat up not-Amygdala for Crusher, and ended up getting the platinum trophy. Didn't even know I'd made that much progress. :psyduck:

Congrats!

If anyone else wants to upload videos of cool poo poo in their games, I'd be happy to see them. Funny deaths, spectacular boss takedowns, weird AI behaviour, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I didn't get it recorded, but I was summoning revenants on that one mission where you fight Onryoki and an NPC shows up. Well this revenant guy got stuck in one of those rock pillars and was pretty hard to coax out of there.