Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Elysian mid range seems to be the new big stupid deck to beat. Thing is gross. Unlimited number of fatties and a million ways to draw cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
You mean Shimmerpack or a different deck? Rng has shimmer, big combrei and armory as tier 1 in today's post.

Edit Ah assume you mean Cirso decks.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 16, 2017

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I went from diamond 3 to 1 last night with this

4 Initiate of the Sands (Set1 #74)
3 Permafrost (Set1 #193)
2 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
4 Friendly Wisp (Set1 #82)
3 Storm Lynx (Set1 #353)
4 Temple Scribe (Set1 #502)
3 Amber Acolyte (Set1 #93)
4 Dawnwalker (Set1 #86)
4 False Prince (Set1 #356)
4 Sandstorm Titan (Set1 #99)
4 Xenan Obelisk (Set1 #103)
2 Cirso, the Great Glutton (Set1 #362)
3 Mystic Ascendant (Set1 #116)
3 Predatory Carnosaur (Set1 #118)
3 Scouting Party (Set1 #488)
6 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
7 Time Sigil (Set1 #63)
4 Amber Monument (Set1 #420)
4 Elysian Banner (Set1 #421)
4 Seat of Wisdom (Set0 #63)

There's a lot of room for variation here too. Mostly I'm losing to opposing Mystic Ascendants so I'll probably try to find room for Polymorph or maybe Rain of Frogs when I play tonight.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Oh hey I saw you play on stream last night. Vs Goat Boi.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

bamhand posted:

Oh hey I saw you play on stream last night. Vs Goat Boi.

Yeah same list he was playing.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Today's lesson learned: If the other guy plays Icaria, just concede.

Arghonautz
Oct 31, 2011

bamhand posted:

Elysian mid range seems to be the new big stupid deck to beat. Thing is gross. Unlimited number of fatties and a million ways to draw cards.

Its been my go to ranked deck since last season, really consistent matchups against the other meta decks. I've been running this:

3 Permafrost (Set1 #193)
4 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
4 Storm Lynx (Set1 #353)
4 Dawnwalker (Set1 #86)
4 Cirso, the Great Glutton (Set1 #362)
2 Hunting Pteriax (Set1 #363)
2 Mystic Ascendant (Set1 #116)
5 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
10 Time Sigil (Set1 #63)
2 Cobalt Monument (Set1 #418)

Hunting Pteriax gives great surprise burst and clutch flyer removal. Dawnwalkers are meta dependant, if you are seeing a lot of statuary maidens / stewards of the past the quickly become useless, but i find them key to winning a lot of matchups so include them most of the time. Subbing in crystallize or passage of eons helps with the mirror.

You can also go the scouting party/ crystallize route for a different draw engine.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

delfin posted:

Today's lesson learned: If the other guy plays Icaria, just concede.

double vanquish off the top baby

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

ShaneB posted:

This, except lands for 5 more turns

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

It's a good time for Thunderstrike Dragon, Shadowlands Feaster and Scorpion Wasp with all the Icarias running around.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

ShaneB posted:

Wasp is more efficient imo

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Whether I Wasp it or Vanquish it, assuming I have either available at that stage of the game, the next item up for bids gets +5/+5.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Lone Goat posted:

I went from diamond 3 to 1 last night with this

3 Permafrost (Set1 #193)
2 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
3 Storm Lynx (Set1 #353)
4 Temple Scribe (Set1 #502)
3 Amber Acolyte (Set1 #93)
4 Dawnwalker (Set1 #86)
2 Cirso, the Great Glutton (Set1 #362)
3 Mystic Ascendant (Set1 #116)
3 Scouting Party (Set1 #488)
6 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
7 Time Sigil (Set1 #63)

There's a lot of room for variation here too. Mostly I'm losing to opposing Mystic Ascendants so I'll probably try to find room for Polymorph or maybe Rain of Frogs when I play tonight.

I went from Diamond 3 to Masters tonight with a slightly modified version of your list.
I ran -1 Lynx, +2 Wasp, -1 Obelisk, +2 Crystallize, -3 Ascendant, -1 Carnosaur and +2 Shimmerpack
I only have 3 Obelisks and should really craft the 4th. Crystallize is Incredibly Good right now.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Actually... I have most of the pieces for Icaria Blue if I trim a handful of legendaries to make my two Icarias. I'm a control guy at heart. Is this still a viable option and what meta decks will roll it?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
What's the deal with the off-color banners? They don't drop, but you can craft them? Are they going to drop in future expansions/patches?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Wait, you can craft banners for the other colour pairs? What are they called?

My assumption is that multicoloured cards for the other 5 colour pairs will appear in the next set, presumably the corresponding banners will be there too.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
So I finally scraped up enough gold to start another draft after going 0-3 the last time (really frustrating because I thought I made good picks and all three games were close losses, but what can you do), and this time I tried to make a conscious choice to not just lock into the first two colors I got a couple decent cards in like I usually do. This is what I ended up with:

1 Finest Hour (Set1 #130)
2 Humbug (Set1 #72)
2 Initiate of the Sands (Set1 #74)
1 Ornamental Daggers (Set1 #69)
1 Valkyrie Aspirant (Set1 #127)
1 Desert Marshal (Set1 #332)
2 Ornate Katana (Set1 #23)
1 Rakano Stranger (Set1 #411)
1 Rebuke (Set1 #141)
1 Amber Acolyte (Set1 #93)
1 Brightmace Paladin (Set1 #147)
2 Combrei Healer (Set1 #333)
1 Crownwatch Deserter (Set1 #316)
1 Gilded Glaive (Set1 #125)
2 Granite Acolyte (Set1 #31)
2 Rebel Sharpshooter (Set1 #30)
2 Sword of Icaria (Set1 #315)
1 Crownwatch Cavalry (Set1 #169)
1 Karmic Guardian (Set1 #341)
1 Rise to the Challenge (Set1 #320)
1 Xenan Guardian (Set1 #102)
1 Field Captain (Set1 #324)
1 Steelbound Dragon (Set1 #60)
5 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
5 Justice Sigil (Set1 #126)
5 Time Sigil (Set1 #63)

My other options from those colors were:

Grenadine Drone
Ruin
Guerrilla Fighter x2
Hellfire Rifle
Refresh
Synchronized Strike
Horned Vorlunk
Towering Terrazon
Detain
District Infantry
Mythril Mace
Throne Warden
Safe Return
Champion of Progress
Minotaur Ambassador

Did I make the right cuts? I know I'm light on the top end but I figured Champion of Progress wasn't worth it with no chance of hitting either bonus unless I dropped Rakano Stranger and played every Justice Sigil in my deck. I know Grenadine Drone is great in draft but I figured I should prioritize getting early flying presence on the board more, maybe I could cut one of the Initiates for it?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Jabor posted:

Wait, you can craft banners for the other colour pairs? What are they called?

My assumption is that multicoloured cards for the other 5 colour pairs will appear in the next set, presumably the corresponding banners will be there too.

Praxis (Fire/Time)
Hooru (Justice/Primal)
Argenport (Justice/Shadow)
Skycrag (Fire/Primal)
Xenan (Time/Shadow)

These cards are already in a set though, set "0", which has more cards than just these. Like all of the "Favor" cards are in that set too.

No Safe Word fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 17, 2017

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I know Grenadine Drone is great in draft but I figured I should prioritize getting early flying presence on the board more, maybe I could cut one of the Initiates for it?

I'm by no means a draft expert, but I think you should think about what your deck is trying to do and how your deck is going to win, when trying to make these decisions.

Grenadin Drone and Initiate perform totally different functions, for example. You want to be aggressive with drone, use the units to get in damage and hopefully buff them to get favourable trades. But you use Initiate to ramp, so you will rarely want to trade it for the opponent's 1 drop. Maybe you can get a fatty out early if you keep it alive. So which one you want largely depends on which one will help you get to your winning condition.

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

This is a neat card game.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Man, my opponent was so unlucky... I started out with only high cost cards, but my opponent was mana-screwed long enough for me to play two Halls of Lost Kings (both could have been for their full effect if I had read the card right).

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Remb posted:

This is a neat card game.

:yeah:

Unpacked my first A New Tomorrow last night, and even though it's essentially just 800 shiftstone sitting there doing nothing, I'm still not going to crunch it to stones because I'm a hoarder/completionist

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

No Safe Word posted:

Unpacked my first A New Tomorrow last night, and even though it's essentially just 800 shiftstone sitting there doing nothing, I'm still not going to crunch it to stones because I'm a hoarder/completionist

Crush everything until you run out of stuff you actually need, IMO.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I refuse to crunch anything because

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

jon joe posted:

I refuse to crunch anything because

Sorry about your mana screw, bro :( gg

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Wow the amount of armory on ladder kinda sucks. Also I can't win any ranked games anymore apparantly

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Maybe the devs could think about releasing more than 2 real cards next time.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Oceanbound posted:

I'm by no means a draft expert, but I think you should think about what your deck is trying to do and how your deck is going to win, when trying to make these decisions.

Grenadin Drone and Initiate perform totally different functions, for example. You want to be aggressive with drone, use the units to get in damage and hopefully buff them to get favourable trades. But you use Initiate to ramp, so you will rarely want to trade it for the opponent's 1 drop. Maybe you can get a fatty out early if you keep it alive. So which one you want largely depends on which one will help you get to your winning condition.

Yeah, you're right. Since my deck is low on top-end cards and mostly depends on me getting board presence early so I can buff them via weapons, I ended up swapping out one of the Initiates for the Drone, and it worked out because that drone was key in winning my first match. Second match the guy conceded right away after his mulligan, so hey thanks for the free gold chest, dude!

Also forgot to mention that I lived the 'bronze chest ranking up to diamond' dream yesterday, I'd had it go to gold once or twice before but never all the way.

No Safe Word posted:

I also refuse to shard anything that isn't redundant out of completionism, which is probably dumb because I have not one but two Whispers in the Void. But I also don't care that much about the ladder anyway so stocking up stone is not that big of a deal. It would make grinding up the gold to start another draft run after I have a bad one a little easier, I guess.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Tin Tim posted:

Wow the amount of armory on ladder kinda sucks. Also I can't win any ranked games anymore apparantly

Yeah the game is getting pretty stale imo.

I liked eternal a lot for the first couple weeks but I am kind of burnt out on it at this point, with ranked mode not having enough variety and drafting costing too much to play all that frequently. Lack of competitive deck variety is a problem other ccgs have sometimes too, especially early on when there aren't many cards.. but I find myself more frustrated with eternal than any of the other ones I've played. Dunno why, it might just be because this game also has power flood/screw and somewhat slower games overall.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

There's a ton of totally good decks right now with what is essentially block constructed imo.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I dusted most of my feln control cards that I crafted since it seems to have a really hard time dealing with relic weapons and nobody's playing jito aggro anymore, made an icaria deck since I already had a sword of the sky king for nicto control, having a blast with it so far

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

ShaneB posted:

There's a ton of totally good decks right now with what is essentially block constructed imo.
Show me these decks pls

EvilMike posted:

I liked eternal a lot for the first couple weeks but I am kind of burnt out on it at this point, with ranked mode not having enough variety and drafting costing too much to play all that frequently. Lack of competitive deck variety is a problem other ccgs have sometimes too, especially early on when there aren't many cards.. but I find myself more frustrated with eternal than any of the other ones I've played. Dunno why, it might just be because this game also has power flood/screw and somewhat slower games overall.
Yeah mostly same. I still enjoy draft but ranked seems rather binary right now

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 18, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

EvilMike posted:

Because the number of decisions you make per game is minuscule in 95% of the matchups in this game

It makes Shadowverse look like chess

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
The top Combrei and Elysian decks beat Armory so not sure about the variety complaint. I mean is there a combo without legit decks other than Feln? Will also help when they finish the rest of the combos.

Do agree with the issue with making decisions. Been thinking a tweak to the mulligan system could do wonders.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

Sorry about your mana screw, bro :( gg

Oh did I face you? What was your name?

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
I'm enjoying this game, just made masters tonight. It is pretty easy to get a reasonable deck going quickly. I only have max 1 of any legendary except BSH and I have somewhat watered down versions of several decks. Now that I'm in masters I think I'm going to mess around some with deck building.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Somehow mixing a few topics, I'm running 2 whispers of the Void and a couple of enabling void grabbing cards in Xenan Control instead of the Last Words, and it fucks with Armory pretty well. They can't keep up with the tokens and consistent pressure now that the best anti-void guy isn't something you can splash in.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

jon joe posted:

Oh did I face you? What was your name?

Shanebeeps. It was draft.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Playing a 15/15 Icaria was well worth the shard investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Just hit Masters in draft, real happy about that.