Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Hoss Corncave posted:

I didn't even do that. Just full on attack with Arthur, Basso, Doyle, and Lisa and hope that I could kill it in two turns and then use Return and go back to Enrich to stay in the inn to heal when Melody, Akane, and Lisa were out of MP. I was pretty high after leaving the sewers though, although it was unintentional.

And there's nothing scarier in that game than the words "<enemy name> cast Soul Steal". Well, maybe "Air Polyp T summoned Air Polyp U" by which point you have to run away because at that point you're out of, well, everything.

"Scissor Crab blew bubbles." Or really anything that isn't Basso using a breath attack. And that game supported a lot more grinding than you needed to beat the game: Arthur and Melody get their last spell upgrades at 28 promoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Ardeem posted:

"Scissor Crab blew bubbles." Or really anything that isn't Basso using a breath attack. And that game supported a lot more grinding than you needed to beat the game: Arthur and Melody get their last spell upgrades at 28 promoted.

Yeah, I always found that dumb that you got Aura 4 with Melody much later than Akane, and the same time as Lisa considering that Melody was the primary healer in the game. Arthur's last spell didn't bother me too much since by that point, the only thing you should have been dying to is the random chance on a Soul Steal, plus several other characters had revival magic anyway, and Arthur only really needed to use Spark and Inferno a few times and then hope that he threw out Sonic Waves every time after that.

I think it was the first time I played through it that I did fine all the way through the game up to a point. Bosses being tough, but it wasn't until I got to Blader that I got absolutely wrecked and had to go and level up a lot and get money for the best non-blacksmith weapons armour in the game. I also resorted to my boss strategy of attack with three people and do a high level aura spell every round. I'd always be surprised when the boss would die and I'd be in fine condition.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
So, today I remembered that I own an artbook for this game and have Google Translate in my phone. I also discovered a table of explanations for the names. Some of probably make a lot more sense to native Japanese speakers, or at least not fed through a machine translation.

Dantares was partially named after Thales.
Eldar is just the elder sister.
Frank was named after this Frank
Obright was either named after a wrestler, or a wrestling move.
Horst is from hostility
Garosh isn't named after the shoes, really.
Kahn is another wrestler.

Anybody have character they want looked up?

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I would absolutely love to know what "Death Helen" is supposed to be.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
"Obright" is probably a transliteration of (Gary) Albright:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Albright

Fun Fact: Gary Albright teamed in Japan with "Wolf Hawkfield", an actual wrestler based wholesale off the Virtua Fighter character.
Another crossover Sega connection...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Nephrite posted:

I would absolutely love to know what "Death Helen" is supposed to be.

"... beautiful woman who caused the Trojan war."

• Locked thread