Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I think the real lesson here is that at one point the American Sonic comics where an embarrassing furry soap opera and the only really good version of Amy is the one from the British comics where they kept her CD design, armed her with a crossbow and sent her off to have universe-hopping space adventures with her genius canary girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mr Phillby posted:

I think the real lesson here is that at one point the American Sonic comics where an embarrassing furry soap opera and the only really good version of Amy is the one from the British comics where they kept her CD design, armed her with a crossbow and sent her off to have universe-hopping space adventures with her genius canary girlfriend.

Are you surprised at Sonic's tears, sir? Strong hedgehogs also cry...

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Heavy Metal posted:

Are you surprised at Sonic's tears, sir? Strong hedgehogs also cry...

the problem with being faster than the speed of light is you see only darkness

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Hhmm

Crossbow

Piko Piko hammer

Crossbow

Piko Piko hammer

Sonic the Comic wins again.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

cleary we should discuss the infinitely superior various sonic manga

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
UK Amy sounds interesting, albeit also like a completely different character.

Shame about Sonic himself, who has kept me from reading those comics for years.

But Archie Amy shows you can write Amy as keeping her interest in Sonic and same overall character, while still being proactive, effective, and with distinct relationships like an actual respect and friendship with characters like Sally. That's what has her win over other adaptations in my book.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

People poo poo on him basically nonstop so I'm not particularly surprised he left.

why were people making GBS threads on the only good Sonic writer

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Because Sonic discussions are a joyless hellscape from which light cannot escape.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

why were people making GBS threads on the only good Sonic writer

It was a combination of "lol, you write the sonic comic", him being too enthusiastic (he put a reference to I think BSS in one of the comics and people got angry/snarky about it) and it being one of the absolute most negative times when it came to any discussion of Sonic.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Clearly we need to invite him back and buy him plat to smoothe things over in this, 2017, the year of Sonic's glorious renaissance.

In all seriousness, he's deserved to write a Sonic game for a long time so I really hope he is writing Forces.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TFRazorsaw posted:

Because Sonic discussions are a joyless hellscape from which light cannot escape.
And yet somehow this thread is still quite good.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Spiderdrake posted:

Let's talk about the changes to Sally's outfit.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah given the Sonic fandom's reputation I was shocked at how good this thread is. Mostly I credit this to beep by grandpa's consistently good posting and to the kickass sonic remixes that people post every few pages.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Macaluso posted:

I remember the comic got rebooted because Sega was like :wtf: at crying Sonic but I think it's interesting characters like Sally, Rotor, Antoine etc are still able to be in the story. I wonder if Sega just considerd them established enough to stick around?

RIP Scourge though. Too good for this world

I think it's more that those characters predated Ken Penders and could be easily traced back to Not Penders. The characters got refreshed because of Penders' lawsuit, not because of Sega holding the reins tighter.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Discendo Vox posted:

Let's talk about the changes to Sally's outfit.

All I can say is that I'm glad she has pants now.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

sharrrk posted:

drat the song for this level rules. glad they're getting the guy who did the music for sonic runners back for this, his work deserved better than a canned mobile game

That's Tomoya Ohtani, who's been doing most of the main games' soundtracks since 2006. He's got a lot of range. He did the songs for the Knuckles levels in SA2, too! Crisis City, Rooftop Run, all of Sonic Lost World and Sonic Runners, and Pumpkin Hill... all the same dude.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
With the exception of Windy Hill, Sonic Lost World's soundtrack was the dullest, most generic soundtrack of the entire series. It sounded like a bootleg Mario track, which only makes sense because Sonic Lost World was a bootleg Mario Galaxy minus the fun.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Screaming Idiot posted:

All I can say is that I'm glad she has pants now.

I...don't? I totally see why they did it, but it really bugs me that there's this gender divide on clothing in the series- female characters have to cover their shame, males are the default and can go without pants. I'd really rather just think of all the funny cartoon animals as not having anything they'd need to cover.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Discendo Vox posted:

I...don't? I totally see why they did it, but it really bugs me that there's this gender divide on clothing in the series- female characters have to cover their shame, males are the default and can go without pants. I'd really rather just think of all the funny cartoon animals as not having anything they'd need to cover.

The reason I am glad she has pants is because previous artists gave Sally a lovingly-rendered backside that raised a generation of freaks. The less excuse to draw squirrelcheeks the better.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

sharrrk posted:

drat the song for this level rules. glad they're getting the guy who did the music for sonic runners back for this, his work deserved better than a canned mobile game

The guy who did the music for Runners has been the lead composer for almost every 3D Sonic game from 2006 onwards.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Bring back Michael Jackson! ...oh wait... Bring back the guy who wrote songs for Dreams Come True!

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The guy who did the music for Runners has been the lead composer for almost every 3D Sonic game from 2006 onwards.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

That's Tomoya Ohtani, who's been doing most of the main games' soundtracks since 2006. He's got a lot of range. He did the songs for the Knuckles levels in SA2, too! Crisis City, Rooftop Run, all of Sonic Lost World and Sonic Runners, and Pumpkin Hill... all the same dude.

Oh sick. This sounds a lot more like his work from Runners than anything else though, I wouldn't have guessed that he did all of that. Good poo poo

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

This time...THIS TIME GUYS...

This is the year in which a Sonic Final Boss will be cool and good.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

so are they ever gonna make an actual new good-style 2d sonic or.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

so are they ever gonna make an actual new good-style 2d sonic or.
the thread title refers to a game

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's mostly remixes of levels from other games as it turns out.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Most of the game is confirmed as new content. All the act 2s are new.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's mostly remixes of levels from other games as it turns out.

Does anyone really care if they call it Green Hill Zone when 85% of the level is going to be new?

I hope they get good music remixes though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I hope there's a 2D version of Pumpkin Hill

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Augus posted:

I hope there's a 2D version of Pumpkin Hill

YOU KNOW ME THE FIGHTIN' FREAK KNUCKLES.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 18, 2017

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Corn Dog Fountain posted:

I'm so excited to go fast you guys

Same.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm hoping that Mania is a way of playing it safe with old content while seeing how the new content is received with a mind to letting them loose with an all-new game in future, maybe even Sonic 5? Sega must be feeling really cautious after completely misjudging Sonic 4, so the fact they're still trying to take steps in that direction is promising.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I hope sonic mania gets dlc in the form of new levels until eternity so I can just roll around in 2d sonic and be happy.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm hoping that Mania is a way of playing it safe with old content while seeing how the new content is received with a mind to letting them loose with an all-new game in future, maybe even Sonic 5? Sega must be feeling really cautious after completely misjudging Sonic 4, so the fact they're still trying to take steps in that direction is promising.
I honestly feel like, over the course of development since the first teasers, they might have loosened the leash. Originally it looked like maybe 3 new levels, then a bunch of remixes. Then the game is delayed right after they show off GHZ act 2, which is all new besides some of the sprites. And fan direction, at least from what I've seen here and on youtube, has been very positive about putting in more new content.

But maybe I'm constructing a fantasy to be positive about the delay

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kikas posted:

This time...THIS TIME GUYS...

This is the year in which a Sonic Final Boss will be cool and good.

Sonic Colors came out in 2010.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Spiderdrake posted:

I honestly feel like, over the course of development since the first teasers, they might have loosened the leash. Originally it looked like maybe 3 new levels, then a bunch of remixes. Then the game is delayed right after they show off GHZ act 2, which is all new besides some of the sprites. And fan direction, at least from what I've seen here and on youtube, has been very positive about putting in more new content.

But maybe I'm constructing a fantasy to be positive about the delay
A Sonic game getting delayed instead of rushed to release is always a good sign.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

TFRazorsaw posted:

UK Amy sounds interesting, albeit also like a completely different character.

Shame about Sonic himself, who has kept me from reading those comics for years.

But Archie Amy shows you can write Amy as keeping her interest in Sonic and same overall character, while still being proactive, effective, and with distinct relationships like an actual respect and friendship with characters like Sally. That's what has her win over other adaptations in my book.
Amy didn't get much screentime in the games until Adventure, which dropped at the very end of STC's lifespan (literally the last story published was a loose Adventure adaptation), so yeah she's very different, but cool and good. One of the real strengths of STC was that because it preceded most of the other cartoons and comics it doesn't really draw from anything other than the Megadrive/genesis era games and spins them off in radically different directions.

What didn't you like about Sonic's characterization? Genuinely interested, as STC sonic is like my favorite incarnation of the character, although did read them as a kid so nostalgia may pay a factor there. It's refreshing to me that they didn't shy away from him being a bit of a prick, he really felt like a character with an attitude rather than a character with 'attitude'.

I've not actually read much of the Archie series, and but given the quality of what I have seen of the modern stuff I've no doubt they've turned Amy into something good, but characterwise I can't imagine she bears much resemblance to the Amy from Adventure anymore, as she barely had any.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm also feeling the Sonic Mania, oh hell yes! Sonic Forces may also be cool, will have to see how the bulk of the gameplay/level design is, but hey I'm pumped that Sonic is back baby, oh yes! Scootin and rootin!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mania will be good but I'm not so sure about Forces since I didn't really like how Generations played. I'll still check it out on Switch if that version is good.

I hope they could try something new again like Lost World. That game was massively flawed but I thought it was a step in the right direction.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Dabir posted:

Sonic Colors came out in 2010.

Yeah which was SEVEN years ago.