Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Very Legal method I'm watching this fight on doesn't have my favourite commentary team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Solid action in round 1. Don't know if Stevens can hold on for too much longer.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Great googly moogly what a touch by Lemieux

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

been a while since I felt uncomfortable watching a boxing match

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

been a while since I felt uncomfortable watching a boxing match

so what happened? ended early?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Marching Powder posted:

Stevens got blown out with a perfect hook and left in a stretcher

EDIT: At least he was moving his arms and talking to Kathy Duva while he was being taken out.

https://twitter.com/Main_Events/status/840794098294480896

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 12, 2017

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

https://twitter.com/HBOboxing/status/840793668944457730

followed by Stevens doing a great 2012 Pacquiao impression

E: alternate video

https://twitter.com/FightDiscovery/status/840795905259376643

Jump King fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 12, 2017

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

ahhh booo i got here too late.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

you beautiful man.

that was crazy.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Lemieux's power is so sick. Hope Stevens is alright but he should think about hanging 'em up.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Lemieux's power is so sick. Hope Stevens is alright but he should think about hanging 'em up.

I don't know if Stevens has been knocked out like that before but you don't want more than a couple of those in a lifetime.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
I was working production at this fight and after the lovely under cards before it, this one turned out to be a great match. We all thought he was dead for like a good 5 minutes. It was pretty scary but amazing to watch live. He was moving his arms when they took him out and last I heard he was doing ok.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 12, 2017

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
GGG-Jacobs is getting an online PPV stream. I would consider doing this.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

online PPV stream.

this is how you get me to pay for boxing in case any of the billionaire promoters are reading the somethingawful forums

seriously though good poo poo. i've never seen jacobs fight somehow. if gennady carries him a little will he make the 8th round?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

this is how you get me to pay for boxing in case any of the billionaire promoters are reading the somethingawful forums

for real, piracy has always been about access, not price

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

for real, piracy has always been about access, not price

eh boxing ppv's are expensive as poo poo. Boxnation's model is best but its a shame sky get all the big fights on ppv since that kind of defeats its usefulness

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I don't know that a ton of people are going to be willing to pay 64.99 for it though.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

gtkor posted:

I don't know that a ton of people are going to be willing to pay 64.99 for it though.

I could see that, but I'm going to be buying it for sure (especially since I don't know anyone with the ability to buy the fight on cable or satellite TV)

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Getting hype for GGG card on Saturday. The dude fighting Choclatito seems pretty good and I literally don't think I've ever seen a fight end like that before.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=4ADGlccJ0Ls

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

seriously though good poo poo. i've never seen jacobs fight somehow. if gennady carries him a little will he make the 8th round?

Jacobs is good he's a big puncher with slick movement, but he's a bit chinny, so the feeling is that either way this g we it ends early

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I think it is probably a lot like the Lemieux fight. I think Jacobs is better than Lemieux, but that doesn't change the fundamental flow of things. GGG is there to be hit, Jacobs hits hard enough for that to matter, but GGG is still more skilled and might break Jacobs face before any of that matters.

Longer it goes, the more Jacobs power fades with the punishment and the easier the work gets for GGG.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I am worried that GGG is gonna eat a bad punch sometime. He's pretty cocky and lets people hit him quite a bit. There are definitely fights where he's started to get in actual trouble, but puts the gas back on at the last minute and punches his way out. That seems pretty easy to gently caress up.

I mean, I guess that's Big Drama Show, but I'd rather see him just dominate people (like Lomachenko) than toy with taking a bad shot presumably on purpose.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

I am worried that GGG is gonna eat a bad punch sometime. He's pretty cocky and lets people hit him quite a bit. There are definitely fights where he's started to get in actual trouble, but puts the gas back on at the last minute and punches his way out. That seems pretty easy to gently caress up.

I mean, I guess that's Big Drama Show, but I'd rather see him just dominate people (like Lomachenko) than toy with taking a bad shot presumably on purpose.

The Lemieux fight is the blueprint though. He didn't gently caress around with him at all, just jabbed the poo poo out of him defensively for like 5 rounds, then went into seek and destroy mode.

It's not always the case, but the guy will take some shots carelessly just to gauge the other guy's power (Monroe, Stevens, Geale) and then go to town if he decides they're not on his level. That is something that could get him into trouble, but I think he and his team are smart enough to know that Danny Jacobs probably isn't a guy that you employ that strategy against.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I don't think we've ever seen GGG in real trouble, which is why I think a lot of people have trouble ranking him. When a fighter is always dominating, it's a little harder to know their full range, so every problem becomes a bigger deal and it's easier to imagine the floor suddenly falling out. I think that's why people are always saying GGG is going to get exposed.

GGG can box really well, hitting hard has been an important part of his american game, but you don't go 345-5 in the amateurs without having finesse.

I'm a little skeptical about his reckless fighting, it seems too easy to handwave everything away with "oh he does that intentionally for big drama show" but it's also clear he adjusts his style to his opponents. A big hitter with less defence like Lemieux gets one of the highest thrown jab percentages in the sport. A quicker boxer like Kell Brook gets rough trades around the corners of the ring. GGG took a lot of big hits in the Brook fight, but Brook's eye socket was broken while GGG was fairly alright, so the trade off clearly worked.

I would love nothing more than for Jacobs to really get GGG, to get him in trouble. I want GGG to win, but seeing him overcome genuine adversity to do it would be amazing. It wouldn't reduce my estimation of him either, we've seen a lot of really good fighters who had to struggle for wins, that's part of what makes somebody a great fighter imo.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That Lemieux knockout gives GGG some p4p points.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

little disappointed gonzalez isn't rematching cuadras.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

little disappointed gonzalez isn't rematching cuadras.

That'll probably happen if he wins this fight.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I would love nothing more than for Jacobs to really get GGG, to get him in trouble. I want GGG to win, but seeing him overcome genuine adversity to do it would be amazing. It wouldn't reduce my estimation of him either, we've seen a lot of really good fighters who had to struggle for wins, that's part of what makes somebody a great fighter imo.

The other positive to this would be him looking "weaker" and hopefully coaxing Alvarez and Golden Boy into a potential fight (lol jk, we all know that's never happening)

ozymandius1024 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 15, 2017

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
With the Leimieux knockout on Saturday and Golovkin looking committed towards fighting BJ Saunders in Kazakhstan in June if he wins the ship has pretty much sailed on Canelo-Golovkin being relevant when it happens if at all.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

With the Leimieux knockout on Saturday and Golovkin looking committed towards fighting BJ Saunders in Kazakhstan in June if he wins the ship has pretty much sailed on Canelo-Golovkin being relevant when it happens if at all.

I disagree, Canelo's still a star and also the lineal middleweight champion according to RING magazine

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I'd also argue with GGG it is as much about who ever decides they are going to fight him first. GGG is going to fight anyone with a belt, or whoever is the best challenger he can get at the time.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Canelo being lineal middleweight champion is all Sergio Martinez's fault for not taking his beating off Golovkin like a man and fighting Cotto instead, which also started this trend of middleweight champions who don't actually want to be middleweights

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

To be fair, Martinez on those legs against GGG is no way to live. I'd have told him to fight Cotto 10 times out of 10 before Golovkin.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

Lionel Richie posted:

Canelo being lineal middleweight champion is all Sergio Martinez's fault for not taking his beating off Golovkin like a man and fighting Cotto instead, which also started this trend of middleweight champions who don't actually want to be middleweights

I would argue that it goes back to Martin Murray getting robbed in his fight vs Sergio

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

To me the most obvious person to blame is Canelo and ODLH

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I disagree, Canelo's still a star and also the lineal middleweight champion according to RING magazine

RING "stripped" Adonis Stevenson of the lineal 175 title for fighting subpar oppsition in his own division but Canelo is still lineal champion despite having no fights against anyone ranked at all at 160 and having vacated his only title. Thinkingface.jpg

edit: Its because RING is owned by Golden Boy Promotions.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 16, 2017

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

RING "stripped" Adonis Stevenson of the lineal 175 title for fighting subpar oppsition in his own division but Canelo is still lineal champion despite having no fights against anyone ranked at all at 160 and having vacated his only title. Thinkingface.jpg

He's actually entirely followed the rules for defending the belt as written

The rules are poo poo, but it's not entirely arbitrary.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

sergio spared ggg more like

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
How did you guys like "Bleed for This" the Vinny Paz movie. He's in the very foggiest parts of my young young memory from watching USA tuesday night fights with my dad.I felt like they kept as much actual fighting out of the movie as possible, sort of the opposite of Creed, but I guess it's a nice double feature for the Roberto Duran movie. Which was equally mediocre but had better fight scenes.

Where does passion come from, where do drive and discipline come from, there's so much humanity in boxing but the fighting tells the story, so a fight movie really has to be about fights, even if they're kind of cartoonish and stupid as in the rocky movies

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Thanks for reminding me that I've gotta see both those movies. Haven't seen a boxing movie since Creed.

I'm out of town so won't have a chance to make a thread for Golovkin vs Jacobs. If someone else wants to write something up go ahead, it's a fight worthy of some attention. At the very least I think I convinced my crew to buy the fight, worst case I'll buy the online stream for my laptop.

My opinion is that this is going to be a harder version of the Lemieux fight for Golovkin. Jacobs is imo a better boxer than Lemieux and has comparable power. So it's a matter of whether he can beat GGG in a boxing match. If they trade shots, Jacobs will lose. I don't have high hopes for Jacobs' chances but he does have one punch KO power and will be a threat to Golovkin for as long as the fight lasts.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

How long til the punchmen start punching?