Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Also I forgot to note, that buddhists don't traditionally train in tai chi, that's a Taoist, Wudang thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
They also don't have 36 Chambers.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Episode 8 would have been much better if Claire had shut the gently caress up and we never talked about that stupid thing.

No, killing is sometimes justified. There are reasons and excuses when it isn't wrong. For instance, to defend yourself or another person. Besides, you know the Hand is full of zombie ninjas. Please shut the gently caress up with this lets not kill bullshit. Especially when we've spent the whole season learning about how the Iron Fist is a weapon and the enemy of The Hand.

Double gently caress you for having a sword fight that ends in Coleen using her sword hilt to knock the other swordslady out. Tripple gently caress you if we're supposed to believe beating people into comas and generally mutilating people, as has happened repeatedly so far, is fine, but don't kill them.

You don't need to kill everyone, and there's no need to go out of your way to kill people, but, Jesus, this is stupid even by Daredevil justification levels. We've even commented on the fact that any member of the Hand who you beat up but don't kill will then be killed anyway. This is loving stupid, especially when you then go on to acknowledge that Madam Gao is just ruining lives left and right. Would it be wrong to kill Hitler too, Claire? Would it really?(No, Madam Gao isn't Hitler, but goddamn does a living Gao kill a lot of people.

Magic Ninjas in a war with Celestial Cities from other dimensions is not the fight where we question violence and the moral quandary of force. It's Nazis, robots, monsters, and ninjas. These are the things where killing is not questioned.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 18, 2017

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I got to the point in the series where Danny starts taking off his shirt. I'm supposed to believe this dude trained for 15 years? lol.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

nooneofconsequence posted:

I got to the point in the series where Danny starts taking off his shirt. I'm supposed to believe this dude trained for 15 years? lol.

Very few people in this show look like they've been training for even half as long as they claim.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Really hoping Episode 7 Ward buys those tickets and peaces out .

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hollismason posted:

Really hoping Episode 7 Ward buys those tickets and peaces out .
Oh no..

Oh, no!

It just keeps getting worse.

Poor Ward.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
I'm about to start the third episode, and I gotta say... I'm liking it so far.

From the first episode it seems like the theme will be classism/rich vs. poor, and not only because of how Ward keeps treating Danny, but also how everyone else treats him. Everytime he tried to explain who he is, he's met with hostility, with people having weapons/guards at the ready because they don't want to see beyond his hobo facade.

I don't think it would be the same with an asian lead, because then people would just go "they just don't trust him because of racism!" and I don't think that's what the show is going for, especially after Luke Cage dealt with that theme already.

And also:

Kal-L posted:

It depends on the presentation. Personally, I hope that the asian characters treat Danny as a huge weaboo everytime he starts talking about K'un L'un: "Suuure, buddy, your fortune cookie wisdom is great. Tell us more about those secret techniques the kung-fu masters in the ancient city teached you". :rolleyes:

At least until he punches a wall into bits. :getin:

This wouldn't work with an asian lead, because it's very different to not take seriously a white dude talking about kung-fu magic and chi, than it would be for an asian dude. It would come across as hugely racist to just dismiss religious/cultural stuff if it comes from someone who has a more deeper connection to it than Danny.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Ward and Harold are the most interesting characters. Danny Rand seems buh-faced a lot of the time and the fights are really slow and poorly edited which is kind of disappointing. It feels like 99% of the special effects budget went toward the hand, because every cut-away to Kun Lun is terrible. It seems like every episode of the netflix marvel shows has a "dock" episode where the heroes go to the pier and try to be sneaky.

The drunken boxing fight was so incredibly disappointing. The drunken master had plenty of charisma but none of the blows carried any impact and the editing seemed like a rough cut.

I was kind of hoping they were going to "get the martial arts right" with Iron Fist but it doesn't seem to be the case

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I have to agree that who ever coordinated the fights for the series really failed miserably. They're at best just okay at least so far and I am on episode 7.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I really hope Finn at least took some karate classes at the YMCA before filming the Defenders, because man do they cut up the fight scenes to try and work around his inability to throw a punch.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I have to agree that who ever coordinated the fights for the series really failed miserably. They're at best just okay at least so far and I am on episode 7.

The part I felt most disappointed was when Danny was challenged (ep 5) by the Hand to duel their best fighters. The two butchers felt okay and had a decent enough fight, but the second fight felt like a scene out of Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. The chain link fence, blue lighting, and torn construction-plastic around topped with more tepid fight scenes made me think who budgeted this and if they're trying to starve out these shows or something

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 18, 2017

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'm still in the first half, but it seems like every now and then in the fights the actors slow themselves down and plot their moves well in advance so the other actor can hit their cue. It's like they got five minutes to practice before each scene to learn where they needed to be. They really should have gotten a lead actor with some martial arts background to make this convincing, and while they're at it, someone that looks like he's worked out for more than a month.

It's not as horrible as everyone claimed before it came out, but then again maybe that lowered my expectations. I'd rather watch a show about Colleen trying to tutor the kids of her neighborhood, beating up drug dealers and fighting against her own internal rage demons, but I guess that's not going to happen.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Episode 9

I want to feel bad for Kyle, but seriously, dude asked for vanilla ice cream. If he could live forever he would eat Vanilla Ice Cream for Breakfast and Lunch. Kyle was an inhuman monster and the world is better without him.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Episode 7

God drat it. Faramir was the only character I liked. And man was that telegraphed. Felt exactly like Cottonmouth's death in Luke Cage, which I hated, too. I was hoping they'd surprise me. Oh well, I hope he comes back from the dead again.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Gyges posted:

Episode 9

I want to feel bad for Kyle, but seriously, dude asked for vanilla ice cream. If he could live forever he would eat Vanilla Ice Cream for Breakfast and Lunch. Kyle was an inhuman monster and the world is better without him.

I maintain that what Harold did wasn't really murder, just a delayed abortion.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Episode 8 Oh, Claire wants to just go to China with Danny? Uh... nobody she'd like to call first? Nobody who could help in a fight?

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
Good god this show is bad. I was barely able to finish the first episode. The writing and Finn Jones makes this one of the most unlikable characters I have ever seen. How are you guys just shrugging your shoulders and saying this is good or better than Luke Cage?

Do I live in a bizarro world or something?

Did everyones expectations get lowered that far?

TowerofOil fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 18, 2017

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

When Ward doesn't have product in his hair and it's all floppy he really gives me some Bobby Brigs/Twin Peaks vibes.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

not sure if this is a spoiler, but I'm loving Hogarth here more than I did in Jessica Jones

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Gyges posted:

Very few people in this show look like they've been training for even half as long as they claim.

Lol, what? I also got to that point, and he seems good to me. He's also a guy who's supposed to be more about technique than tanking like Luke Cage, and to an extent, Daredevil.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I just finished episode 7, Danny is the least interesting person on the show. I cared more about the hobo in the park with the iphone than I do about Danny at this point.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

So like this show isn't amazing by any stretch and is easily the weakest marvel netflix show, and the first episode was garbage, but why are reviews making this out as worse than transformers? It's a solid C in television, nothing ground breaking but nothing horrid.

Danny is pretty weak compared to the rest of the cast.

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 18, 2017

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

C-SPAN Caller posted:

So like this show isn't amazing by any stretch and is easily the weakest marvel netflix show, and the first episode was garbage, but why are reviews making this out as worse than transformers? It's a solid C in television, nothing ground breaking but nothing horrid.

Danny is pretty weak compared to the rest of the cast.

Reviews painted it exactly as a C.

The sticking point was always that essentially every review labeled it as such. Not that it was called outright horrid or the worst ever. Though Gyges kind of covered why that perception ended up being what won out I guess.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

Reviews painted it exactly as a C.

The sticking point was always that essentially every review labeled it as such. Not that it was called outright horrid or the worst ever. Though Gyges kind of covered why that perception ended up being what won out I guess.

Alright then. Rotten tomatoes just had it at like a 17% which seemed insane, but if everyone is giving it a C that seems about right, which is a shame since the other netflix shows ranged from high B to mid A in quality and were serious reasons to get netflix.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah RT doesn't actually give a poo poo about context so the negativity gets inflated. A mass of critics just felt it wasn't a particularly good show due to multiple things and the way that gets reflected on RT is that it looks like the worst thing ever produced. It makes sense given how the site works, as you noted, but man is it not actually indicative of the reception.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Alright then. Rotten tomatoes just had it at like a 17% which seemed insane, but if everyone is giving it a C that seems about right, which is a shame since the other netflix shows ranged from high B to mid A in quality and were serious reasons to get netflix.

Rotten Tomatoes doesn't really distinguish from reviews that are all somewhat bad and super stinkers if there's a big concensus on it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Finished the first two episodes. The second one holy poo poo I couldn't stand the psych hospital parts. Boogity boogity boo! They'll never let you out after the 72 hours. Sure, Ward was pulling strings/manipulating, but it seemed like a lousy Cuckoo's Nest retread.

And man, I got super annoyed by the constant use of flashback to the plane crash. We've seen your mom get sucked out of the fuselage three times already, so... oh. Oh, you're going to show it AGAIN. Great.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Jesus gently caress this is awful. And I hate that it's awful, because I've liked them all so far and I'm worried that this one bombing so bad will cause netflix to pull back on future marvel shows, either lowering the budget or canceling them completely.

I'm on episode 8 now and I'm forcing myself to continue out of sheer stubbornness.

The most disappointing part is that Jessica Henwick is alright, even though everyone's dialog is terrible. A show about her character- cage fighting for money to keep her dojo afloat while she fights The Hand for the safety of her stable of young gay martial artist apprentices would at least be interesting. Instead, we got Not-Oliver Queen stumbling around bumping into poo poo and announcing to literally anyone who walks by that he's from a mystical land where there are dragons and how he can do magic if he focuses his chi, and then getting inexplicably furious when nobody takes his naruto bullshit seriously.

Everything is terrible. The writing is terrible, the special effects are terrible, the fight scenes are terrible. It's a movie about a kungfu master in which the fight choreography is laughably awkward, with Not-Oliver Queen flailing around in slow motion as stunt men do their best to hit his fists with their faces. I do not understand how we went from the Daredevil stuff to this nonsense. There's a different director, i guess, but is the rest of the crew all new as well? How did this go so wrong?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Gawain The Blind posted:

Jesus gently caress this is awful. And I hate that it's awful, because I've liked them all so far and I'm worried that this one bombing so bad will cause netflix to pull back on future marvel shows, either lowering the budget or canceling them completely.

I wouldn't, my guess is that it's going to get a ton of views regardless of critical consensus. Marvel properties have hit the point where they can coast to great numbers on inertia alone.

Another thing that really annoyed me about this show - they lean way too hard on the "Danny's Chi is messed up, whoops, can't use the powers that would allow him to easily win every fight". It's transparently something they use to limit the show's budget, but it contributes to the aura of ineptitude and blandness surrounding Danny. In real terms, he's either the most or second-most powerful person on the Defenders roster, but walking away from the show you'd think that Daredevil could probably merc his rear end without much trouble.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I will say that this show at least does 1 on 1 fights pretty well, a couple of them are really great too, and I'd argue that one particular fight is in the contender for best 1 on 1 fight any of these shows has had. It's the Drunken Master fight.

Also I think this show really does get weighed down by the choice of actor for Danny, because he just doesn't work as well as another choice probably would've. It doesn't help that I'm so used to actors looking really close to how I imagine the various Marvel people should look and Danny just doesn't match what I think when I think Iron Fist.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I disagree, I made a longer lost before but that fight was particularly disappointing. There were a million cuts to hide bad choreography.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Lord_Magmar posted:

I will say that this show at least does 1 on 1 fights pretty well, a couple of them are really great too, and I'd argue that one particular fight is in the contender for best 1 on 1 fight any of these shows has had. It's the Drunken Master fight.

I hated that. Not because of the quality, but Because Drunken Masters are the good guys dammit!

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I think that episode 8 fight everybody is talking about is the best one in the series but it's still a crappy scene compared to what other shows and movies have been coming out with over the last couple of years. It was also really obvious when it was Finn fighting and when it was the stunt actor.

I don't know if Iron Fist was contractually obligated to show his face all the time but seriously, just put a mask on and let a professional handle it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kal-L posted:

Lol, what? I also got to that point, and he seems good to me. He's also a guy who's supposed to be more about technique than tanking like Luke Cage, and to an extent, Daredevil.

In no universe does Finn Jones have the body of a man who trained for 15 years to defend the gates of heaven via punching a dragon.

Kegslayer posted:

I think that episode 8 fight everybody is talking about is the best one in the series but it's still a crappy scene compared to what other shows and movies have been coming out with over the last couple of years. It was also really obvious when it was Finn fighting and when it was the stunt actor.

I don't know if Iron Fist was contractually obligated to show his face all the time but seriously, just put a mask on and let a professional handle it.

Daredevil already stole Danny's look, so they decided to try hoodies. It didn't work and the cuts between Finn and the stunt double are bad. At one point in a fight the camera clearly cuts to Finn just punching around the camera, then back to the opponent. Finn as Danny Rand, the naive dumbass is fine. Finn in any sort of physical activity is poo poo.

R.I.P. Yellow Bandana of power.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The title intro for Iron Fist is trash compared to the other 3 so I'm going to go ahead and say this show is probably also bad.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Gyges posted:

Daredevil already stole Danny's look, so they decided to try hoodies. It didn't work and the cuts between Finn and the stunt double are bad.

R.I.P. Yellow Bandana of power.

In the first ep, when he has the cheap parade mask on when the goons were chasing him I was like 'great, you won't be able to tell it's the stunt double!'

Does he just wear hoodies the entire time? Not even like, a Ninja Turtles style bandanna?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's worth watching since it's such a cringe worthy trainwreck compared to the 3 previous really good series.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
E10: Davos: Wow. You are the worst Iron Fist ever.

That made watching it this far worth it to me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

How do you mess up kung fu this bad in 2017. Get Gordon Liu down there and force these idiots to watch a ton of Shaw brothers poo poo. These fights are disgraceful.

There's no continuity to the fights at all and that's probably the biggest issue. They cut and people have moved large amounts or are flying through the air and you have no idea why.

Besides the awful fights why did they make Danny a functional idiot? Just - trrrible choice. Ward carries this show so hard it's not even funny. Colleen Wings actress was particularly atrocious. So dissapointed. Sad, low energy kung fu is the worst kung fu :(