Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Elsa posted:

I borrowed a timing light once and let the cord touch the belt. I'm sorry, universe.

HAHAHAH. I have the feeling that I've got one of these coming.

My dad gave me a 40 year old timing light from Sears.
The first time I used it it shocked the poo poo out of my hand. That was like 10 years ago.

Ever since then I've been offering to let other people use it and encouraging them to check their timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There was a fun incident when I was doing the timing on my beetle, crouched on my toes. Something unbalanced me and I tipped forward, caught myself with one hand that I planted right on the coil in an attempt to avoid all the dangerous spinny bits. Knee hit the rear bumper and I guess electricity decided I was the fastest route to ground.. zapped the gently caress out of me.

The next day I put in an order for all new ignition wiring to replace the 20+ year old cabling that probably wasn't insulating for poo poo anymore.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

There's also the unresolved issue of more stringent regulations impacting low income individuals more than anyone else, and they're already more likely to be operating unsafe vehicles. Maybe if we had less sprawl and better mass transit but whelp. :v:

This is the biggest problem, IMO, and also basically the same reason stricter licensing standards go nowhere. The vast majority of the country can not live a quality independent life without being able to drive. We don't even have decent mass transit in most cities so rural areas have no hope, making just tolerating the fact that we have idiots driving crapheaps the easiest option by far unfortunately.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
4T65e transaxle rebuilt by a guy I know on facebook. It was fine, then there was a massive snowstorm yesterday, now it exploded! I wonder why.

(they often explode when someone gets some wheelspin going, then grabs traction, and the cross shaft and spider gears exit stage left.)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
^^^ Is the explodes-after-wheelspin-then-sudden-traction thing a problem on brand new ones, or is this a bad rebuild job?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
On the topic of belt tension, it doesn't help that once your OEM tensioner fails it's an utter bastard trying to find one that isn't a piece of monstrous poo poo. You have a choice to either buy the outrageously expensive factory tensioner or one of the many crappy aftermarket ones available.

I replaced the tensioner on my 1ZZ-FE only to have the pulley get noisy on it so i tried just replacing the pulley. I don't know how it failed as it was an NSK bearing. I replaced it with a cheap poo poo Dayco pulley which is surprisingly quiet, smooth, and stable.

kastein posted:

4T65e transaxle rebuilt by a guy I know on facebook. It was fine, then there was a massive snowstorm yesterday, now it exploded! I wonder why.

(they often explode when someone gets some wheelspin going, then grabs traction, and the cross shaft and spider gears exit stage left.)

The old AX4S/N Taurus Transmissions do this too. Exact failure mode when the system is shock loaded in low traction conditions and a wheel grabs hard.

Of course you could have a whole thread on all the things that go wrong with Taurus transmissions.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

BobHoward posted:

^^^ Is the explodes-after-wheelspin-then-sudden-traction thing a problem on brand new ones, or is this a bad rebuild job?

Diff spider/side gear installation is pretty hard to gently caress up during a rebuild, tbh. It's just too weak and small for the power they were specced for.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Vanagoon posted:

The old AX4S/N Taurus Transmissions do this too. Exact failure mode when the system is shock loaded in low traction conditions and a wheel grabs hard.

Of course you could have a whole thread on all the things that go wrong with Taurus transmissions.

A lot of early Saturns will also do this, but that's because the roll pin holding the spider gear in shoots out and wrecks the trans and the bellhousing. Operating advice in the community is either to weld that pin in place or replace the pin with a freshie every time the trans is out.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

kastein posted:

Diff spider/side gear installation is pretty hard to gently caress up during a rebuild, tbh. It's just too weak and small for the power they were specced for.

Isn't this more about driveline inertia than power ? When a spinning wheel grabs it stops and the driveline has to stop too, dumping the whole engine, flywheel, gearbox and ring gear worth of energy into the spiders. I doubt most road car diffs can handle this given a driver stupid enough.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Kafouille posted:

Isn't this more about driveline inertia than power ? When a spinning wheel grabs it stops and the driveline has to stop too, dumping the whole engine, flywheel, gearbox and ring gear worth of energy into the spiders. I doubt most road car diffs can handle this given a driver stupid enough.

In general the weakest link should be the traction available at the tire, unless you're running some serious tire. I'd expect the half-shafts to be weaker than the differential as well in most cases, which is backed up by the number of IRS performance cars that basically require axle upgrades if you're running slicks with a manual transmission. Hummer H1s also have a related issue due to the inboard brakes.

If the differential can't transfer enough power to break traction on the kind of poo poo tires those cars end up with I'd call it a weak piece of poo poo.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

wolrah posted:

In general the weakest link should be the traction available at the tire, unless you're running some serious tire. I'd expect the half-shafts to be weaker than the differential as well in most cases, which is backed up by the number of IRS performance cars that basically require axle upgrades if you're running slicks with a manual transmission. Hummer H1s also have a related issue due to the inboard brakes.

If the differential can't transfer enough power to break traction on the kind of poo poo tires those cars end up with I'd call it a weak piece of poo poo.

We are talking about load on the spider gears here, those see zero loads in drag racing applications and very little in normal use. And shock loading is quite different than constant load, it's basically the equivalent of a clutch dump, but on the gears that are only really meant to see a small percentage of engine power. And with the whole driveline contributing inertia instead of just the engine.

Kafouille fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 16, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Vanagoon posted:

:lol: I did so many neutral drops in my 89 it was stupid. But that was before they were electronically controlled and everything went to poo poo in...91 I think.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Vanagoon posted:

My mom had a 1996 Taurus

Transmission #1 - died around 100k miles
I bought the car from my mom with a new transmission.
Transmission #2 - died under a year, rebuilt under warranty.
Transmission #3 - lasted about 35k miles, had it rebuilt
Transmission #4 - dunno how long it lasted, I sold the car not long after

This was before I started working on my own cars. The bills from that Taurus drove me to buy tools. It seemed like it needed brakes twice a year. And towards the end, the temperature gauge used to fluctuate up and down while driving.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Kafouille posted:

Kafouille posted:

We are talking about load on the spider gears here, those see zero loads in drag racing applications and very little in normal use. And shock loading is quite different than constant load, it's basically the equivalent of a clutch dump, but on the gears that are only really meant to see a small percentage of engine power. And with the whole driveline contributing inertia instead of just the engine.

Sorta kinda.

The spider gears see full load when drag racing too, they just aren't spinning. They still have a huge amount of force applied to them, because they're what engages the side gears.

Shock loading is a serious problem, but I've done poo poo like that to the differentials in my jeeps (aside from dana 35s - which suffer the same sort of failure shown here) dozens if not hundreds of times, onroad and offroad, without blowing the spiders out of any of them, even with oversize tires installed. The fact that this silly rear end 4T65e can't handle a bit of wheelspin (on an open-diff FWD car... that they presumably know is going to be driven in the snow, given that it's produced by a company based on Detroit) and then grabbing traction is not much of an endorsement for those who designed it.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
Story of mine:

Coming back from Lincoln NE in late August of last year hauling an alumalite gooseneck full of goats and assorted peripherals when the dash on the 08' Chevy 2500 reads "Hot transmission". Well poo poo.

Pull over, it's puked a portion of the tranny fluid all down the back of the drive train, onto the trailer, just making a mess. Ended up calling the brother in law to bring a case of fluid so we could drive for 15 minutes to stop for 15 to let it cool down. It should have been about 2.5 hours to go the 150 miles home. It took about 6 hours and towards the end the truck refused to shift out of second, and didn't have reverse. This thing was cooked and you could smell it a mile away.

2k and 10 days later the local shop rebuilt the transmission and we had a conversation that basically went "well, we're not sure how you managed to get it into our shop, but she's driving fine now"

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I've never done any towing myself but I've always heard that if you're doing it to any serious extent you should fit the largest transmission cooler you can onto your vehicle.

My favorite autobox preventative aside from fluid changes is Lubegard
http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-303/LUBEGARD+Automatic+Transmission+Fluid+Protectant

Supposedly a lot of transmission shops rate this stuff highly. Once I discovered it - I put it in everything I have ever owned and I've never had it cause a problem. Always seems to make the transmission less "Lazy".

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
It's me, I am truly the horrible mechanical failure...

My wife has had this 2000 Corolla since almost-new and it developed a misfire yesterday, I can't possibly imagine why...

As much as this picture is a story about my horrible maintenance routine on that car, it's as much a story of just how hardy these Toyotas are. Nearly 210,000klm on the motor, it gets fluid changes when I occasionally remember that cars-need-fluids, and obviously gets plugs even less frequently. As I've never touched them previously, those plugs need to be at least 6 years old. Come nuclear winter, the only things left alive will be Keith Richards, mountains of roaches and this Corolla.

I'll shed a tear when it eventually dies or gets sold to a uni student.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How much did that palm tattoo hurt?

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

How much did that palm tattoo hurt?

More than you'd think. Also a little piece of dignity. Thankfully my only real horrible tattoo failure... so far.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This just in, prop planes need propellers.

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

Bet that made a noise.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/passenger-planes-propeller-shears-off-in-midflight-forcing-emergency-landing-at-sydney-20170317-gv0i1c.html

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

PuntCuncher posted:

Bet that made a noise.

apparently the noise in question is WOOOOP

and of course its a 340B. I fly on those weekly.

just another reason to refuse being seated in 2A

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

While i don't entirely doubt your claim, i challenge you to find a peer reviewed randomized controlled trial proving so. :colbert:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

buttcrackmenace posted:

apparently the noise in question is WOOOOP

and of course its a 340B. I fly on those weekly.

just another reason to refuse being seated in 2A

The air races combine the best of airpower and NASCAR; it's annoying to work at the armory right next to them when they're on, but I still enjoy them when I have a moment to really appreciate them.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
From the FOOF thread:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
It is likely to be a while before the final accident report is available but my money is on a counterfeit part.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unapproved_aircraft_part

quote:

The crash of Partnair Flight 394 in 1989 resulted from the installation of counterfeit aircraft parts.[5]

In 1990 President of the United States George H.W. Bush appointed Mary Schiavo as the Inspector General of the U.S. Department of Transportation. Schiavo began campaigns to curb the sale of unapproved parts. The investigations under Schiavo, by 1996, lead to over 150 criminal convictions and over $47 million USD in restitutions and fines. The resulting prison sentences from the convictions ranged up to five years per person.[5]

In August 1993 a group of criminals stole a cockpit computer from a Carnival Airlines aircraft at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport. During the day the criminals contacted potential buyers at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City. The buyers were actually Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) agents of the "Operation Skycrook," which performed sting operations to thieves of commercial aircraft parts.[6]

In 1995, after American Airlines Flight 965 crashed into a mountain in Colombia, scavengers took cockpit avionics, engine thrust reversers, and other parts of the aircraft, and took the parts from the mountain by helicopter. The stolen parts appeared for sale in the Greater Miami area. In a response, the airline published a 14-page list stating all of the parts missing from the crashed aircraft. The list included the serial numbers of all of the parts.[5]

An FAA study concluded that from May 1973 to April 1996 unapproved parts contributed to 174 aircraft accidents and minor incidents, causing 39 injuries and 17 fatalities. None of the involved accidents and incidents in the study involved major commercial airlines. Some critics, including William Cohen, a member of the U.S. Senate from Maine, argued that the FAA may have understated the role of unapproved parts of some accidents because the agency did not want to take the responsibility of regulating the aircraft parts industry. James Frisbee, who retired in 1992 as the quality control head of Northwest Airlines, argued that unapproved parts may have been a factor in more accidents than the numbers stated on U.S. federal accident and incident records.[5]

The U.S. government passed the Aircraft Safety Act of 2000 to allow the government to target the sale and use of unapproved parts.[7]

Around 2003 the U.S. state of Florida was an international center of unapproved aircraft part vending.[8]
Every single one of those 'accidents' is a case of horrible mechanical failure.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cartoon posted:

In August 1993 a group of criminals stole a cockpit computer from a Carnival Airlines aircraft at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport. During the day the criminals contacted potential buyers at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City. The buyers were actually Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) agents of the "Operation Skycrook," which performed sting operations to thieves of commercial aircraft parts.[6]

In 1995, after American Airlines Flight 965 crashed into a mountain in Colombia, scavengers took cockpit avionics, engine thrust reversers, and other parts of the aircraft, and took the parts from the mountain by helicopter. The stolen parts appeared for sale in the Greater Miami area. In a response, the airline published a 14-page list stating all of the parts missing from the crashed aircraft. The list included the serial numbers of all of the parts.[5]

It pleases me on an aesthetic level that both of these incidents involve the Miami area.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Where else would shady as gently caress aircraft parts go to find a buyer in America?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I work with someone know who did aircraft maintenance in Miami in 95. He told me a story of one of his colleagues getting busted for trying to buy one of those AA parts. The story was so crazy I chalked it up to be fake and tuned out.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

um excuse me posted:

I work with someone know who did aircraft maintenance in Miami in 95. He told me a story of one of his colleagues getting busted for trying to buy one of those AA parts. The story was so crazy I chalked it up to be fake and tuned out.

Miami up through the late nineties was basically the aircraft parts equivalent of a Russian arms dealer in 1991.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Wrar posted:

Where else would shady as gently caress aircraft parts go to find a buyer in America?

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Stolen genuine parts are probably less risky than counterfeit ones from a safety perspective.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Stolen from an aircraft or hangar yes, stolen from a crash site? Maybe not...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Bomb future crash sites to prevent illicit salvage.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Stolen from an aircraft or hangar yes, stolen from a crash site? Maybe not...
They've survived one crash already! Why would you want unproven parts?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

They've survived one crash already! Why would you want unproven parts?

Who knows what the spilled mind control chemicals do to the metals?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Who knows what the spilled mind control chemicals do to the metals?
*Asks work metallurgist if we do thorazine embrittlement testing*

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Man, that would gently caress up some rescue workers.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Man, that would gently caress up some rescue workers.

Don't send rescue workers.
The passengers bought their tickets. They knew what they were getting into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh dang I got LSD in my LSD