Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Ragnar's choice x4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

blizzardvizard posted:

Undead King looks rad. I didn't expect an colorful Egyptian themed boss from how the Stratum is like, but he still looks great. Mechanically interesting, too. I'm really liking how the boss encounters are designed in this game.

And, uh, Ragnar's choice x4.

The boss design in EO5 is miles better than the bosses in EO2U. You aren't straight up punished for not being psychic, and the fights don't spiral as easily out of control as they do in EO2U.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Let's see

Lanzon, because wonder necromancers twins power activate.
Raven as a Death-bringer because the Undead King has a long overdue debt, and Death has come to collect. Who knows, he may even manage to sound badass while saying that (he won't).
And I dunno, Kaelin as ruler of F I & L. Mostly for the explosions.

Sasha for the tank slot.

Joeaverage
Aug 1, 2014
Lanzon, Raven, Alexis, Kaelin

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I''m glad about all of us being in agreement of necromancers fighting each other.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.
I don't think there's a single thing I don't like about this boss's design.

I'm just gonna say Alexis and Ragnar's choice x3 because I get the feeling that this would be the boss I'd get stuck at for weeks on end and constantly bug Ragnar on Steam with how hard it is with my horribly optimized party.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Lanzon and 3x Ragnar's choice

Clearly there needs to be a necromancer in the party at least.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Guests only have terrible builds if they're not named Baldur.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Sasha, Raven, Iseria, Mio

and Your choice on specializations

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

vdate posted:

It's really, really hard to screw an Imperial, all their skillset revolves around their gimmick.
A monkey on a typewriter could get you a serviceable Imperial build, as long as it hit at least one of the drive skills.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

vdate posted:

Eh, Wufan's build was flawed but serviceable, in my opinion.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Omobono posted:

It's really, really hard to screw an Imperial, all their skillset revolves around their gimmick.
A monkey on a typewriter could get you a serviceable Imperial build, as long as it hit at least one of the drive skills.

It's nearly impossible for him to screw up his build, since he maxed out every single skill possible and then some.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I was in the shower just now and I realized as I was that when I said I mentally replaced Soleil with Tlachtga, I actually meant Ren, and I'd been getting those two characters' names mixed up the entire time. Have I ever even played a game in this series

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
In light of a successful test run, voting is closed.

quote:

My choice: 17
Raven Death-Bringing: 14
Lanzon Destroying: 11
Mio Love: 9

Sasha Adamantine: 6
Alexis: 6 (+2)
Sasha Gunpowder: 3
Cecil Combo: 2
Kaelin Ruler: 2
Dosen: 2
Gram Falcon: 1 (+6)
Jana Single: 1
Kaelin Master: 1
Iseria: 1

The Undead King party is:

Alexis/Raven, Lanzon/Gram/Mio.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's nearly impossible for him to screw up his build, since he maxed out every single skill possible and then some.

Talk about being OP. Hmph. Show off.

Iwantthoseskills. I always want the skills.

But whatever, I guess he needs something to back himself up being the prince of the imperials.

Also, yay for npc guest fights. I like them a lot.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Given your limited number of summon slots I can understand why you might not want to bring her with you.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

By the way, I'm pleased the 3rd stratum had a haunted ghost lady trying to poison you event, even if it was a failed sense mana check.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 23. Card games. Also the Undead King boss fight.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
:allears: I love the Yu-Gi-Oh bits.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I actually didn't think too highly of Reapers at first when I saw the data on them, but having played through the game with a Death Bringing one, I was surprised at how much weight they could pull. And I found them to be fairly flexible in what they can do (support or damage) which makes a fairly decent fit for some teams.

Poison is a much better status than it used to be, both in terms of utility and actual design. It really had the issue of just completely dominating one part of the game, while being useless for the rest of it (or in EO3, being useless all game) I feel that making it scale with levels instead of being fixed damage really smooths out those problems.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Updaaaate yay! :toot:

Don't you just love it when you land a low % ailment?

I really like listening to the character banter. It just adds so much life to your otherwise cardboard characters, who just rely on your imagination to give them a personality.

Also, what was with that 4th stratum entrance? It isn't even connected to the boss room. That is so... evil.

Then people would be like, "where is entrance to 4th stratum" if they haven't marked in the shortcuts on their map. And even if they did, normally you would think that kind of shortcut is you know, a secret area or something.

Also, the Yu-Gi-Oh part about summoning the boss along with its description was very appropriate. Of course mirror force solves all problems.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
And so the saga of "usually this boss is harder" continues.

But your team was pretty drat crazy. No heal, a dodgetank that attacked for a small amount, a support and four damage dealers.
I believe there is only finely ground bone dust left where boss once stood.
It's easy to see that a dodge tank will not work in all situations but when it works - holy drat, it really works.

I think it's a nice attention to detail that the way to the fourth stratum is hidden outside the boss room.
Because the boss is not something guarding the way up but just some maniac that came from the outside and made his home in the labyrinth.
No reason for him to put his hideout right in the middle of the road.
An he would have gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for that meddling anti-convinience field forcing adventurers his way. (And also Lily.)

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.
You know what usually bothers me? In pretty much every EO game once you reach that stratum that no other explorer has reached, pretty much all the townspeople know more about the stratum than you do. Case in point, Ceric saying that the fourth stratum is completely unexplored, then turning around in the same sentence and asking for an item that I'm assuming is only found in said stratum. It's just one of those things that breaks immersion for me.

Also that Undead King card is definitely something I'd use if I still played Yu-Gi-Oh, but it's also something that I feel like would be banned before I got a chance to.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Efe posted:

You know what usually bothers me? In pretty much every EO game once you reach that stratum that no other explorer has reached, pretty much all the townspeople know more about the stratum than you do. Case in point, Ceric saying that the fourth stratum is completely unexplored, then turning around in the same sentence and asking for an item that I'm assuming is only found in said stratum. It's just one of those things that breaks immersion for me.

Also that Undead King card is definitely something I'd use if I still played Yu-Gi-Oh, but it's also something that I feel like would be banned before I got a chance to.

Well, this is kind of a spoiler, but Ragnar did something slightly out of sequence that better explains the reactions of the townsfolk. There's something you're expected to pick up there before you come back to town.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 23, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Efe posted:

The townspeople also have some advice to give you regarding those floors in the series, and the alternative is having absolutely nothing explained to you at all (EO3's 6th Stratum) or have things explained to you way too late. (Several cases in EO2.) It's sloppy, but less annoying than the alternative.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Efe posted:

You know what usually bothers me? In pretty much every EO game once you reach that stratum that no other explorer has reached, pretty much all the townspeople know more about the stratum than you do.

If I'm not mistaken the labyrinths are usually talked about in ancient legends which indicates they were at one point explored further than they seem to be at the start of the game.
Like there was a treaty between the Forest Folk and the humans of Etria and there are records of the Grail of Kings and the birdfolk in High Lagaard.

However some games state that the labyrinths only opened recently - so at some point they must have been closed for whatever reason.
At this point the explorers of old most likely took their maps and refused to share them so that specific knowledge got lost in time making the mazes effectively "unexplored" again.
But tales about how the Stratum looks and horror stories about the beasts living up (or down) there survived as did records about the legendary materials in the books of merchants from that time.

At least that's my head cannon explanation.
While they sometimes get a bit too specific I feel for the most part they stay reasonably vage at least for the first floor of a new stratum.
And for the floors afterwards you opened the floodgates by defeating the boss. There are now several group of explorers cataloging everything there is about this new environment.
As we see whenever an NPC joins our group normal adventurers have pretty broad and badly optimized builds so they probably have trouble with FOEs and bosses but can take out random encounters just fine (for the most part).
So they are able to cover a huge amount of ground and probably get ahead of us if they directly stumble upon the stairs to the next floor just by virtue of having multiple experienced groups hungry for new areas to explore.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Or they could just go with, "yeah, we used to send explorers up there all the time but then <name of last boss> moved in and everything went to hell." I mean, old maps can go out of date pretty quickly, but an elephant is p. much the same today as it was back when the medieval bestiaries thought they were half-snake/half-horse abominations sired by the Devil.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw, it was just that one secret door? I thought there'd be this big complicated thing to unlock the next stairs up. Then again, it's been a while since a geo pole.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 24. See the title.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The executioner's got a pretty neat gimmick. Cut your offense and clog up a buff slot.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Taking into account what I know about resistances in EO does Flame Sign mean your party takes less damage from fire after it's used?

Also congratulations on your new, snazzy hat.

werbear fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 27, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

rumble in the bunghole posted:

The executioner's got a pretty neat gimmick. Cut your offense and clog up a buff slot.

It's got a bit more going for it than that. Hitting it with a Fire attack at any point will cause it to counter with Scorching Wrath. That's why it's skillset is so odd, and why it's trying to bait your party into hitting its weakness. If an FOE wants you to hit it with their weakness, you really shouldn't oblige unless it's locked down.

werbear posted:

Taking into account what I know about resistances in EO does Flame Sign mean your party takes less damage from fire after it's used?

Alo congratulations on your new, snazzy hat.

You take more damage from it.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

It's clearly, the super resurrection bomb! Strong enough to wake even the dead.

But considering there are skeletons and undead in this game, is that even a good thing?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Considering Four God's name, is it wierd that I think of Jana saying "Genbu, Suzaku, Byakkyo, SEIRYUU!" while she says it?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Well, that was certainly an end with Kaelin. Grams got a lot of teachin to do.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I beat Undead king on the first try (I think I got lucky with binds/status effects and he didn't actually do much) but I had a lot of trouble with the next boss even though I read a lot of people saying it was a pushover.
I think your mileage just varies a lot in this series.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Item Getter posted:

I beat Undead king on the first try (I think I got lucky with binds/status effects and he didn't actually do much) but I had a lot of trouble with the next boss even though I read a lot of people saying it was a pushover.
I think your mileage just varies a lot in this series.

It also depends on your playstyle and team composition. I didn't have too much trouble with the Undead King myself, but I managed to completely hogtie it with a few Lead Blow casts, and had a party that could heavily capitalize on that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I guess you really need to have, like, no other pets for a workable Pillbox?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It took a couple tries for me to kill the Undead King, mostly because I didn't expect to be instantly wiped by a Cursed Ice Bomb in the second phase. I killed the next boss without even letting it get an action. I still don't really know what it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 25. I'm actually not that big a fan of Earthworm Jim. MDK's pretty good though.

• Locked thread