Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

sicarius posted:

So I bought in to this game a millennia ago because I like Smite. I've played it like... 6 or 7 times. I'm probably bad, but I can't remember. Serious question, though : What should I be doing that isn't just "loving around"? I know that's a pretty vague question - and I don't want to necessarily be great at the game - but I don't want to just go in and feel overwhelmed.... which is kinda how it feels now with the cards and whatnot.

What should be doing is

1. picking a tank or a healer (frontline and support in Paladins terms) if your team doesn't pick them. That will increase the chance of winning by a lot. Hell pro teams are using right now 2 tanks or 2 healers, or even 2 tanks and 2 healers.
2. Focus on the objective of the game (capturing the point, pushing the payload) instead of playing the game as a fantasy Call of Duty.
3. Pick appropriate items (wrecker against Torvald and Fernando, cauterize against healers, etc)

Cards are a secondary factor in comparison with those 3 points. When you unlock enough cards, you can make a build focused on the ability you like, the default loadouts are usually 'a bit of everything' which isn't as good (less synergy).

edit: also play casually for now, be chill, the balance will be out of whack for a pair of weeks so don't get frustrated if you lose for some BS.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Really: load outs

If you don't know what to do with a load out, go to make a new one and hit IMPORT then go to the leaderboard of the best androxuses or whatever and import theirs. If you dont have all the cards the pro is using then you can but them in this screen.

There, you just copied a probably decent load out that a good player of that champ uses. I did this for androxus and started actually feeling good with him

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
How the hell are people so drat stupid about the PVE game mode? I played six games in a row and told people to just loving wait in base for ten seconds so the bots would go mid so we could AoE them down, but every single time some dumb motherfucker ran out and got killed instantly, spreading the bots out and sometimes even making them rush us. It's 2017 and players out there actually don't know how to exploit AI behavior. I demonstrated exactly how easy it was to win when the bots were mid, and they still rushed out to get rooted and have fifteen Victor bombs dropped on them. I got play of them game five of the six times, but only won seven or eight total rounds of the over fifty that played out. I just want my stupid crystal bullshit so I can buy things for dress up time.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The problem of PVE is that it was called 'PVE', now it's "coop". Those names imply a more casual, noob-friendly experience, and lots of inexperienced players try that first instead of normal online matches.
And truly it's more a 'challenge' mode, where you have to discover how to beat the level in an almost puzzle-like fashion.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Haven't played this game in weeks but I just patched and saw you get a loot chest for your first win of the day this weekend, starting once the servers come back up, enjoy!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Maeve has been super nerfed. RIP.

Inara seems it will be a tricky character. No shields, no movement skills, it will depend of using well her deployables.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Turin Turambar posted:

Maeve has been super nerfed. RIP.

Inara seems it will be a tricky character. No shields, no movement skills, it will depend of using well her deployables.

She deals decent damage in close-medium range at least, and her right-click makes her insanely tanky. I'm glad we're getting more utility-oriented tanks.

Maeve is completely gutted and I expect her to never be picked again. Hi-Rez went full Blizzard with their balancing.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 4, 2017

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Yeah I was wondering if I was alone on feeling they might have nerfed her a bit too much. Getting rid of Nine Lives healing was fine, but the rest of it seems a bit much. Maeve is the flanker I like playing the most, so I'll see how she does once these changes hit the game.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
So.....How the gently caress are you supposed to deal with Torvald?

He can silence and disarm you for a really long time, doesn't need to aim his laser, gets a silly strong shield, and his ultimate is basically a guaranteed team wipe, considering the knockback almost always knocks you off the map.

It feels like the answer if you're playing Skye is "lol get hosed". I haven't unlocked him yet, but he seems like the only frontliner I've seen in the past 6 or so games, and with how insane he is on flank and front I can see why.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

He can silence and disarm you for a really long time, doesn't need to aim his laser, gets a silly strong shield, and his ultimate is basically a guaranteed team wipe, considering the knockback almost always knocks you off the map.

It feels like the answer if you're playing Skye is "lol get hosed". I haven't unlocked him yet, but he seems like the only frontliner I've seen in the past 6 or so games, and with how insane he is on flank and front I can see why.

Skye should absolutely melt him at his effective range, especially if you're using her base legendary. Get Wrecker on top of that and unless he gets the jump on you and disarms you with the extra disarm duration legendary, you'll win handily.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Neurolimal posted:

If there's a Torvald on the enemy team I generally consider taking Wrecker, especially if I'm playing a Damage character. Helps to burn down his shield faster and prevent him from being able to regenerate much of it (he can't do anything while recharging so you can keep attacking). If you're playing a flanker, I'd say try to wait until he's dealing with another one of your teammates and get some shots in.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

drat, they really need to make a good item tutorial. Just today in different matches I've seen:

-Most of my team buy Haven (def against projectile damage) against an enemy team with Pip, Bomb King and Drogoz (aoe damage).
-A Grover being the only healer of my team who bought Rejuvenate (extra healing when healed by other players).
-People buying Wrecker (good against shield) where the only enemy frontline was Inara (the only frontliner that doesn't use shields).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is there any truth to those rumors about items like Wrecker just saying "+50% damage" in non-English clients? People keep repeating it on Reddit but I never see anyone post screencaps of the foreign clients or example text with translations.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Turin Turambar posted:

drat, they really need to make a good item tutorial. Just today in different matches I've seen:

-Most of my team buy Haven (def against projectile damage) against an enemy team with Pip, Bomb King and Drogoz (aoe damage).
-A Grover being the only healer of my team who bought Rejuvenate (extra healing when healed by other players).
-People buying Wrecker (good against shield) where the only enemy frontline was Inara (the only frontliner that doesn't use shields).

I had a mirror match just now against a Ruckus who bought Deft Hands. I bought Haven, so obviously I soloed him with little effort.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New champion, Lex. Videos from pros, so in them Lex seems very OP, but in my hands he won't be so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkNVGDXNObE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGyxBh7ty70

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Well thank you HiRez for Nerfing Makoa's ult so everyone can disable him. Lex seems like a very momentum based hero. If he gets the bounty kills he can come online faster than other flankers but if he can't he'll just get outstripped by other flankers who are alot more mobile than he is.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Annointed posted:

Well thank you HiRez for Nerfing Makoa's ult so everyone can disable him. Lex seems like a very momentum based hero. If he gets the bounty kills he can come online faster than other flankers but if he can't he'll just get outstripped by other flankers who are alot more mobile than he is.

In all fairness, as someone who plays Makoa a bunch, his ult was basically a free push/defense break. Like guaranteed.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I feel they nerfed Ancient Rage in the wrong way, but it definitely needed to be nerfed. This game has so much CC that keeping a melee hero out for 8 seconds is pretty trivial. Maybe reduce the health gain to 7000 instead of 10,000 or something.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Ancient Rage is now good for Makoas who need to make a quick getaway and need the bonus HP to not die. You can still do the major plays/kills with Makoa, but you first need to either have no cc champs on the enemy team or the cc champs are dead.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
Hey folks, I didn't see one up, but is there a Discord server or something to set up for people to get together and do some Paladins play?
I lack consistent friends and I'm tired of losing because of the horrifically bad matchmaking system. :(

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah just type in Paladins on the search bar and you'll find the official Reddit Discord Group.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Just keep in mind that if you are in a 4 or 5 man party the game likes to put you against much better players.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Rubellavator posted:

Just keep in mind that if you are in a 4 or 5 man party the game likes to put you against much better players.

This is also true for most multiplayer games; the idea is that you'll coordinate better than solo queuers, so you get pitted against other groups + solo/duoers above your mmr

this is also why seeing group queuers in games act like dickheads to you is funny.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rubellavator posted:

And thank god for that, the average skill in Paladins is quite low and you really need to either play scrims or against other premades to have anything other than a 4-0 stomp or 1:30 payload win. Granted the people I queue with are like ex-Invite players in other games but still, the most fun games are the ones where we go 1-4 against some comp player and then see ourselves getting owned on their stream a few minutes later.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Annointed posted:

Yeah just type in Paladins on the search bar and you'll find the official Reddit Discord Group.

I really hate to be "that guy", but is there, perhaps, a NON-reddit affiliated (goon operated preferred) paladins discord server?
Beggars can't be choosers and all that, I know, but still...

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Dooky Dingo posted:

I really hate to be "that guy", but is there, perhaps, a NON-reddit affiliated (goon operated preferred) paladins discord server?
Beggars can't be choosers and all that, I know, but still...

Yes. This link is for Smite/Paladins.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

They decided to, without even posting it in the patch notes, nerfed the amount of gold you get from weekly challenges and first wins of the day, alongside removing radiant chest rewards for character mastery level 2,3 and 4.

I played enough of Monday Night Combat to know where this is going.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Apparently they decided to put in an "autobuy" option for the stuff you buy with Credits during a game. Confused me for a while because I'd start a game and had already bought something I never buy with that hero. I was actually wondering if it was a bug. If that's showing up, just go to gameplay in the Options segment and turn it off.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Heliotrope posted:

Apparently they decided to put in an "autobuy" option for the stuff you buy with Credits during a game. Confused me for a while because I'd start a game and had already bought something I never buy with that hero. I was actually wondering if it was a bug. If that's showing up, just go to gameplay in the Options segment and turn it off.

The worst part of it is, the autobuy isn't even smart, it'll even buy wrecker against a team that has no frontliners. You can't even customize it to buy things in a certain order that you want so you can focus more on the game. It really feels like a waste of man hours when the solution to their problem was just to have a more blatant and open inventory icon and have more tooltips on what items to buy.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

The auto-buy is a pretty silly thing, because you really don't want to encourage new players to rely on it.

On the plus side, they added the much requested Team UI from Survival into Siege, and you can turn it on under Gameplay.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The new champion, Seris, is pretty cool.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

The new champion, Seris, is pretty cool.

Yeah she is, especially with her legendary that whenever you use her q and the targets have 4 stacks on them they get stunned for 1 second. Only problem though is that although she has alot of sustain, she also isn't as good of a healer as Ying or Mal Dhamba.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I see her being very comfortable in double healer comps along with a Pip, Grover, or Grohk.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Annointed posted:

Yeah she is, especially with her legendary that whenever you use her q and the targets have 4 stacks on them they get stunned for 1 second. Only problem though is that although she has alot of sustain, she also isn't as good of a healer as Ying or Mal Dhamba.

I don't know about not being as good of a healer, honestly. With the legendary that buffs her heal + the loadout card that reduces the CD by 2 seconds at rank 4, she can basically heal anyone to full every 3 seconds.

Before Ying's Lifelike legendary got nerfed, (Alongside with her illusion's heal range.) I'd agree with you 100%.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ughh I don't like the eyes.

New map looks good

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Brightmarsh is leagues beyond their previous maps, aesthetically at least. The new hero seems a bit mediocre but I'm fine with that given Maeve and Lex's launches.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Willow looks a but uncanny valley for me. At least her kit suits me, it screams "i hate you for being on point, let me make your time on the capture point suck."

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Annointed posted:

Willow looks a but uncanny valley for me. At least her kit suits me, it screams "i hate you for being on point, let me make your time on the capture point suck."

She really seems the spammy type. Aoe basic attack with decent speed, aoe cluster nade, a bit less damage than other champions to compensate. I expect to have fun with her but be annoyed against her.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Turin Turambar posted:

She really seems the spammy type. Aoe basic attack with decent speed, aoe cluster nade, a bit less damage than other champions to compensate. I expect to have fun with her but be annoyed against her.

Imagine going up against her, Tyra and Maldamba in the same team. The objective will be AOE hell. D':

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Probably going to be my new frontline:

Probably going to hear a lot of demandss for nerfs.