Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Red Oktober posted:

As far as keeping track of non-netflix shows, I've found a TV tracking app really useful - there are several ranging for free to paid. You put in the series you are watching and it'll show you what's airing soon and allow you to mark an episode as watched.

Ooh got any recommendations on these apps? I always lose track of what I'm watching and when new seasons are aired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Aphex- posted:

Ooh got any recommendations on these apps? I always lose track of what I'm watching and when new seasons are aired.

I find TVShow Time to be pretty comprehensive.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Aphex- posted:

I've been using EpisodeCalendar.com, which is one of the free-but-ad-supported options.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I use TV Show Tracker, which does the job. There are probably better options out there, but it's not like it needs to be complex.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahaha this thread got awesome

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I use a short-term memory solution to keep track of my episodes. It's a very barebones setup but it works for my lifestyle.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

I use a short-term memory solution to keep track of my episodes. It's a very barebones setup but it works for my lifestyle.

What version do you use? Does have third party support?

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
Just finished binging Hap and Leonard and really enjoyed it, its got the same good ol' country vibe that Justified had and the two leads play off each other well. 6 episodes also kept the plot tight and left me itching for more

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

What version do you use? Does have third party support?

That depends on your religious beliefs.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

TryAgainBragg posted:

Just finished binging Hap and Leonard and really enjoyed it, its got the same good ol' country vibe that Justified had and the two leads play off each other well. 6 episodes also kept the plot tight and left me itching for more
They ended the season with a GOOD "cliffhanger", too.

But one thing I'm confused on (ending spoiler) - did his ex-wife die?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I've been slowly working through the wire. I know how acclaimed it is by the people who have seen it, but it's not really clicking for me.

Season one was pretty good and I've just started 2. Overall I like the cast and I think the setting is good. Maybe it just doesn't lend itself to binge watching that well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Season 2 is more of a side story about Trump voters. It gets back to the good stuff in season 3. Season 4 is also the best one and it's about the failing public school system which sounds boring but it's not.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
S2 is the second best one though

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014

coyo7e posted:

They ended the season with a GOOD "cliffhanger", too.

But one thing I'm confused on (ending spoiler) - did his ex-wife die?

Read some info for season 2 that confirms it but it was left really ambiguous and I wasnt sure either before reading it

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Kingtheninja posted:

I've been slowly working through the wire. I know how acclaimed it is by the people who have seen it, but it's not really clicking for me.

Season one was pretty good and I've just started 2. Overall I like the cast and I think the setting is good. Maybe it just doesn't lend itself to binge watching that well.

The second time you watch the series, season 2 will be your favorite.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nah. Season 4 forever and always.

You gonna look out for me, Sgt. Carver?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I watched a few episode of a show called Superior Donuts and boy it's a little heavy handed on social issues. It might as well just have a bumper at the beginning of each episode saying what it's about, like "This week we will talk about protesting"

I wanted to add that I do genuinely think it's pretty funny, especially for a laugh track sitcom that I usually am pretty averse to.

RenegadeStyle1 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 15, 2017

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Just finished Falling Skies and I kinda regret wasting my time with it. Seemed a lot more interesting in the beginning than it turned out to be. In fact, most of what seemed interesting to me on the first seasons were dropped or just forgotten later. Like the "skitters" were quite fascinating and original aliens at the start and then end up generic irrational mass-produced monsters by the last season. I had the impression they planned it for 3 seasons and then had to make up some bullshit to fill 2 more.

I should have stopped it when I realized I disliked almost all characters (I think I only liked Ben and Pope, and Pope become quite annoying later on), That final revelation that the ultra advanced espheni who almost wiped all the humanity with little trouble were here to avenge getting their asses kicked by Incas 1500 ago made almost ragequit the show 15 minutes before the end

Anyways, now I need a new alien invasion/post-apocalyptic show to watch

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 18, 2017

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elias_Maluco posted:

Just finished Falling Skies and I kinda regret wasting my time with it. Seemed a lot more interesting in the beginning than it turned out to be. In fact, most of what seemed interesting to me on the first seasons were dropped or just forgotten later. Like the "skitters" were quite fascinating and original aliens at the start and then end up generic irrational mass-produced monsters by the last season. I had the impression they planned it for 3 seasons and then had to make up some bullshit to fill 2 more.

I should have stopped it when I realized I disliked almost all characters (I think I only liked Ben and Pope, and Pope become quite annoying later on), That final revelation that the ultra advanced espheni who almost wiped all the humanity with little trouble were here to avenge getting their asses kicked by Incas 1500 ago made almost ragequit the show 15 minutes before the end

Anyways, now I need a new alien invasion/post-apocalyptic show to watch
I dunno... Colony maybe? It's weird because the way they do the invasion is just like SUUUUPER low-key to the point where half the time you're wondering why even make it aliens/futurepeople? why even set it present day? why not just make it about soldiers occupying in ww2? THey do drat near NOTHING with the scifi aspect focusing more on the one family and a few government people. It's technically a scifi show but like...almost barely.

It almost has more in common with Man In The High Castle than it does Falling Skies but you wouldn't think so based on the sales pitch.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

bring back old gbs posted:

I dunno... Colony maybe? It's weird because the way they do the invasion is just like SUUUUPER low-key to the point where half the time you're wondering why even make it aliens/futurepeople? why even set it present day? why not just make it about soldiers occupying in ww2? THey do drat near NOTHING with the scifi aspect focusing more on the one family and a few government people. It's technically a scifi show but like...almost barely.

It almost has more in common with Man In The High Castle than it does Falling Skies but you wouldn't think so based on the sales pitch.

I am watching Colony and I kinda liking the way they keeping the aliens a mystery. Is mostly about an occupation, but the scifi elements are there and becoming more important, it seems.

DOA
Nov 17, 2016
Just watched gomorra season 1 and 2, great series about the mafia in italy. Feels more real and brutal than the american mafia shows, its one of the best series i have ever seen..

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elias_Maluco posted:

I am watching Colony and I kinda liking the way they keeping the aliens a mystery. Is mostly about an occupation, but the scifi elements are there and becoming more important, it seems.

Yeah season 2 has me a lot more interested. I want to know why they're there, what the plan is, whats up with the moon, etc. and it's just not that type of show.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Binged through most of S1 of American Crime last night. I think I'm 2 or 3 episodes from the finale. It's good but really depressing. Does anyone else get Requiem for a Dream vibes off of it? I may need something slightly less depressing to watch, but I can't make up my mind. I'll post some shows I'm considering or 1 or 2 episodes into and you guys tell me what is best.

The Missing - I dig the UK crime/mystery shows, and I read on reddit it was good, but really haven't heard much talk of it at all.
Black Sails - enjoyed s1 a really long time ago, dunno why I quit
Into The Badlands
Bates Hotel
Rectify
e: American Crime Story, the one about OJ. I heard it was good too. Does it have anything to do with American Crime?

There might have been a couple of other prospects I was considering but my mind is blanking at the moment.

E Yeah Hap and Leonard is good. I will probably wait until S2 is done before I go through it, I enjoy binging.
vvvvv

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 19, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TryAgainBragg posted:

Season 2's just started. Favourite show that no-one talks about.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

The Missing - I dig the UK crime/mystery shows, and I read on reddit it was good, but really haven't heard much talk of it at all.

Heard good things, but I've not seen it. It's a seasonal anthology show, which I gather pissed off some people a bit when season 2 rolled around. Once people settled in though, I think the consensus was that the second season was just as good, though quite different.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Black Sails - enjoyed s1 a really long time ago, dunno why I quit

I suspect it's because Season 1 doesn't actually end, it just stops. The first two seasons are really one larger season in terms of construction, and if you think of it like that, the show's actually pretty solid. I've really been enjoying the current, final season, which has had a sense of energy and immediacy that others have always lacked a bit in. I think some of the female characters can be a bit divisive, but I've always liked them. Really likes its monologues though.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Into The Badlands

Remains to be seen if this will improve, though I hold out hope. Great visuals and stunt work, brilliant fight choreography and a couple of really cool, iconic feeling performances let down by an awful lot of weird tat and a very short opening season that spends so much time justifying its setting with a lot of world building that it doesn't end up throwing out much in the way of good, immediate ideas. That, and it's a classic case of AMC not giving a show that needs a bigger budget enough of a budget to pull off the stuff it'd love to do as often as it would like. Still, there's at least two really good fights every episode, and some lush visuals. Nick Frost is joining the show this year as Pigsy (it's a Journey to the West adaptation), so that should be fun.

Camp, in a lovely tatty mid-century way. I think there's a rudimentary quality to the characterisations that harms the show, a quality that a lot of Carlton Cuse shows share, and there's a tendency to spool out earlier seasons on irrelevant drama because what the show's actually about needs more time to develop. The two leads are great, and it's a fairly interesting / rare case of a show raising its standards to meet the quality and tone of its central performances, rather than the other way around. When the writing catches up to the acting it's a great show, until then it's perfectly serviceable (barring some early stuff).

Brilliant.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

]American Crime Story, the one about OJ. I heard it was good too. Does it have anything to do with American Crime?

It's campier than American Crime, and I didn't like it nearly as much -- but a lot of goons would either think the other way around, or not even know what American Crime was. It's actually pretty decent though, despite what I just said, but it's so much more interested in the media and Hollywood culture. It's very much about the story, rather than the crime, if you catch my drift.

Additionally, going off your tastes, I'd suggest checking out Manhattan, Underground, Outsiders, (The WGM Trinity of good shows no-one talks about), The Americans, and maybe Legion. They all seem like they'd be worth a shot at least.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Just watched the first ep of Ash vs Evil Dead and holy lol why didn't I start this sooner

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

Heard good things, but I've not seen it. It's a seasonal anthology show, which I gather pissed off some people a bit when season 2 rolled around. Once people settled in though, I think the consensus was that the second season was just as good, though quite different.

I suspect it's because Season 1 doesn't actually end, it just stops. The first two seasons are really one larger season in terms of construction, and if you think of it like that, the show's actually pretty solid. I've really been enjoying the current, final season, which has had a sense of energy and immediacy that others have always lacked a bit in. I think some of the female characters can be a bit divisive, but I've always liked them. Really likes its monologues though.

Remains to be seen if this will improve, though I hold out hope. Great visuals and stunt work, brilliant fight choreography and a couple of really cool, iconic feeling performances let down by an awful lot of weird tat and a very short opening season that spends so much time justifying its setting with a lot of world building that it doesn't end up throwing out much in the way of good, immediate ideas. That, and it's a classic case of AMC not giving a show that needs a bigger budget enough of a budget to pull off the stuff it'd love to do as often as it would like. Still, there's at least two really good fights every episode, and some lush visuals. Nick Frost is joining the show this year as Pigsy (it's a Journey to the West adaptation), so that should be fun.

Camp, in a lovely tatty mid-century way. I think there's a rudimentary quality to the characterisations that harms the show, a quality that a lot of Carlton Cuse shows share, and there's a tendency to spool out earlier seasons on irrelevant drama because what the show's actually about needs more time to develop. The two leads are great, and it's a fairly interesting / rare case of a show raising its standards to meet the quality and tone of its central performances, rather than the other way around. When the writing catches up to the acting it's a great show, until then it's perfectly serviceable (barring some early stuff).

Brilliant.

It's campier than American Crime, and I didn't like it nearly as much -- but a lot of goons would either think the other way around, or not even know what American Crime was. It's actually pretty decent though, despite what I just said, but it's so much more interested in the media and Hollywood culture. It's very much about the story, rather than the crime, if you catch my drift.

Additionally, going off your tastes, I'd suggest checking out Manhattan, Underground, Outsiders, (The WGM Trinity of good shows no-one talks about), The Americans, and maybe Legion. They all seem like they'd be worth a shot at least.

Thanks for the effort post my man. I do watch The Americans, it's a great show. I'll put the other ones you mentioned in my list to check out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just to clarify American Crime and American Crime Story are not related at all

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I just finished The Man in the High Castle. Overall I thought it was very entertaining, although the parts about the films released by the titular character with the alternate timelines wasn't the most interesting part of the show to me. Assuming they are making a new season, I hope they don't get too into the science fiction aspects that I worry they are going to.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I watched all of Parade's End yesterday and I'm considering picking up the books. Apparently the author regretted writing the 4th book and fans prefer to think of it as a trilogy, I'm interested in seeing where the series *should have* ended

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Still chipping away at The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones. It's good, but I think the "two episodes edited into a 1.5 hour movie" format makes it a little bit slow-going some of the time.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Jericho is so good, Im about halfway through it and already sad it got canceled

Does anyone knows why it was canceled, by the way?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It had poo poo ratings and was cancelled for the usual reason. It was actually notable in that it was cancelled after the first season but the passionate fanbase went on a huge push demanding its return including sending bags of peanuts to tv execs. So they brought it back for a second season that was kind of iffy but gave some closure.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 22, 2017

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

STAC Goat posted:

It had poo poo ratings and was cancelled for the usual reason. It was actually notable in that it was cancelled after the first season but the passionate fanbase went on a huge push demanding its return including sending bags of peanuts to tv execs. So they brought it back for a second season that was kind of iffy.

It really is great, though. Excellent characters and acting and writing and a very interesting plot that always feels so believable

Maybe its because of the pace, which is kinda slow (but I like it)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was a big fan. I mean, not "send bags of peanuts to people" fan but a regular viewer who was really excited it got resurrected for a S2.

I don't know that I think it was "great". Some of the "crisis of the week" episodes are a little fillery and S1 could probably have been condensed a bit, and the second season is a little up and down. But it was a fun and interesting ride with a really different kind of story. Definitely something I'd encourage people to check out if its something they think would interest them.

And it introduced me to Lennie James.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just blasted through Hap and Leonard. It was pretty good, but got kinda dumb in the last two episodes with characters doing just really stupid stuff that didn't make sense at all. Really like Soldier as a bad guy though. Slap happy insane villains are my favorites. Are they gonna make a second season?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
2nd season is on right now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

......huh. Well there ya go!

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Since is hasn't even gotten it's own thread, I figured I might as well ask here - is Marvel's Iron Fist a dud?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think there's just a catch-all Marvel Netflix thread. But basically everyone says it's the worst of the four shows, even the people who like it.