Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, good to know I'm not just being unobservant and missing something obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I've been playing for a couple of weeks. So here's my thought about keys and prestiging. It's not a bad system, but the old system in which you used those keys to also unlock buildings felt good. Getting a some % bonus and then also unlocking cool buildings felt really good.

The thing is, on top of that, it actively encouraged prestiging! Several times I was just waiting it out on city 5 until I had the 40 keys I needed to unlock that cool building. The net effect is that I don't wind up like that guy before me frustrated that a week on city 8 hasn't even netted him a win. Basically the old mechanic coupled with the bonus % would drive players to prestige more often and get burnt out slower.

That said, once you have enough building assets, make new buildings obtainable through bux ALSO. I love multiple ways to unlock cool things. Make a few bux-exclusive buildings even and Jack up the cost to incentivise breaking open that pension pig.

It's solid right now, but does start feeling a but needlessly grindy and prestiging isn't rewarded in a way that feels like it also gets you something.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Agreed. At the expense of just a 'me too' post, I used to look through the buildings and think, okay, I really want that one, so I'll prestige after I get enough keys for this, that, and that. Now it's just prestige whenever and don't unlock buildings because I'd rather save my bux for increasing the rate of something.

Well, I admit I did pay bux for some buildings, but I like the planning involved with the old system. If there was some way to bring that feeling back that'd be great.

On the plus side, I think though that you are starting to see equal similar and opposed opinions and feedback which means you are getting pretty close.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

eeenmachine posted:

I'm honestly surprised you made it to City 8 without prestiging.

I did as well. I got to about 850k pop before I said gently caress it, too many changes to give meaningful feedback anymore. But that's where my prior comments about lack of content were coming from.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Saxophone posted:

I've been playing for a couple of weeks. So here's my thought about keys and prestiging. It's not a bad system, but the old system in which you used those keys to also unlock buildings felt good. Getting a some % bonus and then also unlocking cool buildings felt really good.

The thing is, on top of that, it actively encouraged prestiging! Several times I was just waiting it out on city 5 until I had the 40 keys I needed to unlock that cool building. The net effect is that I don't wind up like that guy before me frustrated that a week on city 8 hasn't even netted him a win. Basically the old mechanic coupled with the bonus % would drive players to prestige more often and get burnt out slower.

That said, once you have enough building assets, make new buildings obtainable through bux ALSO. I love multiple ways to unlock cool things. Make a few bux-exclusive buildings even and Jack up the cost to incentivise breaking open that pension pig.

It's solid right now, but does start feeling a but needlessly grindy and prestiging isn't rewarded in a way that feels like it also gets you something.

I had something similar to this typed out earlier, but couldn't find a way to say it as well as you have. When the update that came out switched from keys to bucks for buildings I lost all desire to play. The prestige hook that good idle games do so well just isn't there anymore. Maybe a new bonus to spend keys on? It needs something more than an insignificant bonus to income.

Also, moving the bonus from universal to building specific on ones we purchase returns to that problem of having to build certain things and lacking customization in our towns. It seems like a step back.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Looks like the beta is open again on Android! Installing now.

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

Finally finished city 8. I kinda assumed pressing the Complete City button would auto prestige me but I don't think the text told me that until after it did it. It wasn't a problem for me but you might wanna give a heads up message instead of a hindsight message.

I'm playing this more than I should so I'd still love a clock, or option for a clock, in the white space at the top. I still dunno if that's a good idea or something that would just specifically benefit me though :)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Edit: nm, I'm mistaken. Yes, a clock would actually be pretty nice.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

OK, I've been testing Bit City on a Samsung Galaxy S7 and an HTC Nexus 9.

I may have a unique perspective because I never played a NimbleBit game before.

Here are some random thoughts:

I agree that the empty property color is too similar to the desert terrain color. I had to search for an embarrassingly long time to find these. I was starting to think I had found a bug preventing me from advancing to the next city but I eventually spotted them.

I had some complaints about the quests:
1. An early one didn't seem to make the button bounce even though I qualified to collect it (I'm sorry, I don't remember which one, but I'm sure it was one of the first five quests).
2. The wording about "build 50 buildings" seems wrong because what it really means is something like "Use a 'build' or 'quick build' button 50 times".
3. I got a quest to have 4 StarBits cafes in my city and I had one, so it showed 1/4. Then I moved to the next city but it still showed 1/4. This seems weird to me? Is the quest to "build 4 StarBits cafes" or is it to "have 4 StarBits cafes in your city" as it currently says? If it's the latter, this seems like I found a bug.

As a new player who never played a NimbleBit game before, I didn't really understand prestiging. How do I know when is a good time to prestige? I did it when I had 40 keys and the thing was bouncing, but I have no feeling for if I did it too soon or too late. Is it basically "I feel like I'm not progressing quickly so now I should restart with a boost"?

I also didn't understand special buildings. It seems really strange that they are buried in the options menu. If they are something I can spend money on to make my city better it seems like they should be in the City Hall dialog and not in the options dialog.
I purchased a radio station business but it never showed up in my city. Then I went to the next city and it showed up right away. Is this a bug or expected behavior because the existing businesses in that city when I purchased were already leveled up?

I had a lot of fun playing around with the camera. There was an interesting divergence of behavior between the Samsung phone and the Nexus tablet. On the Samsung there is a slight tilt-shift filter, but not on the Nexus. I kinda liked the look of it, if that's from the game and not from the camera software then it would be nice to adjust it to be stronger or turn it off. However I think it might be from the camera software because on the Samsung the resulting photo could only be shared with the Samsung SMS app or the Samsung email app. Very annoying that I couldn't upload it to Google Drive from there. Maybe file a long-term low-priority feature request to do your own screenshot code rather than using the system-provided camera app.

It would be nice if there were some bit clouds or something in the sky, the sky looks very plain:

I found myself wanting what you might call "Sim City features". I know this isn't an actual city simulator so probably none of these will get filed as feature requests. But I figured I would share them anyway as examples of what was occurring to me:
* Rename your city
* Rename historical buildings
* A way to highlight which properties are currently zoned as residential, business, or services, maybe also showing current demand for each
* A chart showing a breakdown of where income is coming from, e.g. residential, business, services, automobiles, airplanes. Oh and energy.
- For that matter the energy mechanism isn't very clear.

Ummm, I think that's all I can remember right now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rastor posted:

I had some complaints about the quests:

2. The wording about "build 50 buildings" seems wrong because what it really means is something like "Use a 'build' or 'quick build' button 50 times".
3. I got a quest to have 4 StarBits cafes in my city and I had one, so it showed 1/4. Then I moved to the next city but it still showed 1/4. This seems weird to me? Is the quest to "build 4 StarBits cafes" or is it to "have 4 StarBits cafes in your city" as it currently says? If it's the latter, this seems like I found a bug.

I'm not one of the devs, but I can help with some things here:

2. The wording isn't incorrect, what counts towards your building count is a) placing a building for the first time, and b) having that building upgrade/level up, as it gets torn down and rebuilt either into something else, or the same thing if you've marked it as historical (in which case, think of it as renovating, to tie it to some sort of realism). Eventually, you get a city hall perk that's autobuild. There'll be a small line on the top of the Build button that will automatically hit the button for you if it fills completely to green and there's something to be built when it does. You are correct in that, every time you hit the Build button, your counter for those specific quests goes up one, but there's slightly more to it than that which still works with the wording of the quest.

3. In my (and others') previous posts, this has been mentioned. How it works now is that when you're working towards X number of Y buildings, whenever you hit a new 'record' of those buildings on your map at the same time, yes, the bar/counter reaches that number and stays there, even if all of those buildings are changed to something else, or when you start over in a new city with nothing. As far as I can tell, this is intended behaviour, as I seem to remember one of the devs saying that they specifically changed it to be like that. I have to be honest, I'm not sure why. In fact, I have a small FEATURE/QoL REQUEST: Have an option (on the quest dialog window) to mark all applicable buildings historical OR to auto-mark them as historical until the quest is completed. Sure, it might be fun for some of us to play Where's Waldo's Workplace, but overall, I think it's more annoying than anything else to have to find every instance of whatever building we're trying to get 6 of. This is especially troubling when you've got auto-build going (maybe have an option to toggle auto-build?), so you need to find those ASAP before they're upgraded and gone for now. This would be less of a problem if the quest counter accurately reflected how many of the required building you currently have, not 'the highest number you've had, historically, while the quest was active'. At least that way, if it says I have 3, two are marked historical, I know I'm looking for just one. And if after a few minutes, it changes to then say that I've only got 2 so far, then I can safely stop looking for the third.

As for prestiging, I don't think it's a Nimblebit thing, more of an Egg Inc thing, which I haven't played. Most people in this thread have played it, however, so they'd probably have more info on that whole system. But prestiging is a 'now vs later' sort of thing, where yes, you have to decide 'Am I going to keep on trucking with my current bonus rate, or do I start over, but faster this time?'. I like it, think it's great, really kind of adds a good incentive to go through old levels/cities again, especially since the start up for those is notably faster with the added % bonus.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 21, 2017

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

(maybe have an option to toggle auto-build?)

Yes, an option to pause auto build would be great, because it also interferes with trying to line up pretty screenshots when you've got construction sites popping up all over.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rastor posted:

Yes, an option to pause auto build would be great, because it also interferes with trying to line up pretty screenshots when you've got construction sites popping up all over.

If that's the case, the "pause autobuild" should of course allow current builds to be finished, so if you wait a bit you won't see any construction.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

As for prestiging, I don't think it's a Nimblebit thing, more of an Egg Inc thing, which I haven't played. Most people in this thread have played it, however, so they'd probably have more info on that whole system. But prestiging is a 'now vs later' sort of thing, where yes, you have to decide 'Am I going to keep on trucking with my current bonus rate, or do I start over, but faster this time?'. I like it, think it's great, really kind of adds a good incentive to go through old levels/cities again, especially since the start up for those is notably faster with the added % bonus.
Prestiging is usually when you get bored with the pace you are currently progressing. Sure it takes time to catch up to where you were, but not as much as it took to get originally and you might have enough bonus to smash through what was bogging you down before.

Ideally after you prestige it should only take a few minutes to burn through the first tier or two, getting progressively faster with each prestige.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Speaking of how autobuild interacts with historical, I had a situation happen the other day where I had a building marked historical and I was in the info screen viewing it. I tapped historical off, and autobuild came in and changed the building on me literally while I was still in the info screen.

two things:
-The "bottles canned" or "cups of coffee served" or whatever line changed immediately to reflect this, but the name of the building ("bottling plant" or whatever) did not refresh immediately.

-I'd appreciate it if removing the historical toggle only took effect when you close the info panel.

In this case it was an intentional tap on something I was doing so no big deal, but if someone was trying to get X of a building type and they had one sniped out from under them due to a mistap, I bet that'd be annoying. Holding the actual removal of historical status until they close the panel would give someone time to tap it back on if they made a mistake.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Why cant I click on a building that is under construction? Some large buildings take forever to build, and when I want to see which building is my new police building I cant just click on it and check for quite awhile.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

OR

Hear me out....

OR... the whole system could be inverted, where all buildings stay what they are when they're first placed, with an option to have them switch every time they're upgraded.

Eh? Ehhhhhhhh?

I don't know, that might suck. Who knows? :shobon:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

You could probably extract a lot of bux from autists by letting them pay to select a specific building...

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

God dammit missed another window to join this it looks like :cry:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Boten Anna posted:

God dammit missed another window to join this it looks like :cry:

I'm not nimblebit but it seems real close to release so you don't have to wait long

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

Any chance of an autobuy mechanic like the auto upgrade mechanic?

I have plenty of money and can prolly buy like 20 plots of land right now but the idea of going through the purchase land/choose type sequence 20 times in a row feels monotonous so I keep putting it off.

Most of the times I open the app the idea of repeating the buy/choose/buy/choose/buy/choose process keeps me from actually doing it so I assume that may be a detractor for long time players.

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

I'm now stuck on river ridge because I'm missing one plot of land to buy. After looking for two minutes I gave up cause, well, systematically going through hundreds of plots looking for the one empty one is boring at the least.

I'll try again later. This would be another reason I'd suggest an autobuy feature.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

In my (and others') previous posts, this has been mentioned. How it works now is that when you're working towards X number of Y buildings, whenever you hit a new 'record' of those buildings on your map at the same time, yes, the bar/counter reaches that number and stays there, even if all of those buildings are changed to something else, or when you start over in a new city with nothing. As far as I can tell, this is intended behaviour, as I seem to remember one of the devs saying that they specifically changed it to be like that. I have to be honest, I'm not sure why.
The more I play the more this seems like a bug. If the quest is to "have four X in your city" it should actively track how many X you currently have in your city.

I have 2 additional bugs on Android, I'm having a hard time getting a clear reproduce case, partly because they involve sometimes lengthy timers, but here they are:

1. I had a notification that my bank vault was full but collecting didn't clear the notification. But it hasn't reproduced more than once.

2. Technical Issue loading video ads. It's happened to me twice now. Both times I verified I had working internet connectivity. The first time, I had to switch away from the app while the timer was still going, when I resumed later I couldn't load video ads. Tried switching between wifi and cellular connectivity, no difference. I rebooted and it started working.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cender posted:

I'm now stuck on river ridge because I'm missing one plot of land to buy. After looking for two minutes I gave up cause, well, systematically going through hundreds of plots looking for the one empty one is boring at the least.

I'll try again later. This would be another reason I'd suggest an autobuy feature.

We are going to change the design of the empty lots to stand out more at least.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cender posted:

Most of the times I open the app the idea of repeating the buy/choose/buy/choose/buy/choose process keeps me from actually doing it so I assume that may be a detractor for long time players.

i'm on city 8 at the moment and I've filled in all the large plots ... trying to fill in like 500 small plots to finish out the city is :negative:

I don't know what a good solution is, but I think this is an issue. It doesn't matter how fast you make money, so it's not like restarting for more keys solves this. And it's not every city - most cities are small enough that it's fine but 7 drags and 8 is just ridiculous on this front, imo.

Also, small bug on the "Megalopolis" mission - reach a population of 500,000. On my phone the progress numbers under the bar wrap onto two lines, so they actually overflow onto the button. Like it does this:

quote:

437,000/500,0

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Psion posted:

i'm on city 8 at the moment and I've filled in all the large plots ... trying to fill in like 500 small plots to finish out the city is :negative:

I don't know what a good solution is, but I think this is an issue. It doesn't matter how fast you make money, so it's not like restarting for more keys solves this. And it's not every city - most cities are small enough that it's fine but 7 drags and 8 is just ridiculous on this front, imo.

Also, small bug on the "Megalopolis" mission - reach a population of 500,000. On my phone the progress numbers under the bar wrap onto two lines, so they actually overflow onto the button. Like it does this:

Yea, I'm noticing it in my game as well. One thought we had is to figure out some button somewhere that puts you into a mode where tapping on an empty lot just buys it.

*edit* even moving the zone buttons to the center of the screen, closer to where you just tapped the lot would probably make a difference.

marshmonkey fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 23, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Next time I prestige I'll see if this happens again, but last time I did it, I feel like the prices for plots were kind of all screwed up. Like, in general, are the large plots not equal to roughly 4x the small ones? I seem to remember a small plot being, at one point, something like 800k, and the large one was 35M. Has anyone else experienced this?

They seem to be ok now, but at first, there was a definite scaling issue.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

marshmonkey posted:

Yea, I'm noticing it in my game as well. One thought we had is to figure out some button somewhere that puts you into a mode where tapping on an empty lot just buys it.

Something like that would auto cycle between types to keep you at 33/33/33 right? I could see that working okay. Sort of like the autostock button in TT.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Psion posted:

Something like that would auto cycle between types to keep you at 33/33/33 right? I could see that working okay. Sort of like the autostock button in TT.

Either that, or you would pick the type before going into that mode. Cycling through types would probably be the simplest though.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
Also, just an update as to where we are - we have a release build which should be coming out on the 13th of next month!

We just got that finalized today, so we will be working on some stuff for the first patch / content update until then which might show up on TestFlight. We have GDC and a vacation between now and the release though, so probably not going to be a whole lot until then.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rastor posted:

I had a notification that my bank vault was full but collecting didn't clear the notification. But it hasn't reproduced more than once.

OK, I got this to reproduce:

Got notification that bank vault was full
Opened another, large app (Pokemon Go)
Task switched to Bit City
Got the NimbleBit logo, which I assume means the app had been kicked out of memory
Collected my bank earnings
Still had the notification that bank vault is full

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

If you guys are running out of ideas for new special buildings, I don't see a Kowloon Walled City in there.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Can we get an option to rotate buildings? It looks very wrong to see a building with the front facing the side of the building on the plot right next to it...

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
My city is upside down.

(more clearly, I like to put my iPad with the charging side UP so that the cable doesn't make it list weirdly to one side - and wish all dev's would take advantage of the orientation features).

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
This blimp has issues. No other vehicles do this. Am I too late?

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

porktree posted:

This blimp has issues. No other vehicles do this. Am I too late?

Oh, the bitmanity!

You'll see that often in camera view as well if you pan around a blimp a bit.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Is it safe to download the "final" version of the game from the App Store or it will it wipe all my data after using Testflight builds?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I downloaded it without removing the test version, the only thing missing is the orange dot beside the name.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

A couple of things. One, the 'build X building' quests can get really annoying when it's for something like 4 small buildings and buildings that have been built and then replaced by the auto-builder don't count towards your total. You basically have to watch it intently and be ready to grab the building and set it to historical immediately. If you can even notice it when you're dealing with a spread out city with lots of plots all over the place. That's not quite the experience I look for in my semi-idle games. There needs to be some kind of option to, say, auto-set a building to historical when it's part of a quest, or something similar.

Also, your ad provider is trying to serve up a 2 1/2 minute long movie trailer to me. That's a bit ridiculous for a 10 minute bonus. On that note, I'd also be happy to just toss a few bucks your way for an ad-free VIP option a la Tiny Tower.

Edit: Since I'm having a whine already, the placement of the camera button isn't great. I've tapped it way more often on accident when trying to hit something near it than I have ever tapped on it intending to open the camera view. Feels like something that should be in a sub-menu, not in a place of prominence on the main UI.

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 16, 2017

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

BobTheJanitor posted:

Also, your ad provider is trying to serve up a 2 1/2 minute long movie trailer to me. That's a bit ridiculous for a 10 minute bonus. On that note, I'd also be happy to just toss a few bucks your way for an ad-free VIP option a la Tiny Tower.

Someone else just told me this, did you happen to notice if it was skippable after 30 seconds? If one of our ad companies is really serving up un-skippable 2 minute ads then we are going to have to go yell at someone. Some of our ad providers are starting to get very "creative" with their ads...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Didn't see the ad again since complaining about it. I don't think it was skippable, I just kept backing out of it and trying a new one until I got a normal length ad, usually only took a couple tries. And then I saw you got a permanent speed doubler added, so congrats on earning some google surveybucks.

(Still wish there was an option to auto-set quest buildings to historical status)

• Locked thread