Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

CommonShore posted:

How long til the punchmen start punching?

about 45mins i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

isn't it at 9 EST? so in like another hour?

writing an op, it's gonna suck but what can you do

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i hope i can stay awake for this and not fall asleep during round 3* like i did with thurman - garcia

*if it even goes that long

thehappyprince fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 19, 2017

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I think it's that magic time of year when US clocks have gone forward and ours haven't so we'll get it an hour earlier than usual. I wasn't gonna stay up but it turns out you get boxnation with BT Sport these days. You'd think they'd advertise this sort of thing, probably why boxnation is going down the shitter

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Doing my part and shelling out the $65 for the first time in a while. Gennady deserves it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813921

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

doctor thodt posted:

Doing my part and shelling out the $65 for the first time in a while. Gennady deserves it.

Same. I was hoping they'd start a pre-show or something like that on the stream, but it just restarted the countdown clock for another 45 minutes :sigh:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

ozymandius1024 posted:

Same. I was hoping they'd start a pre-show or something like that on the stream, but it just restarted the countdown clock for another 45 minutes :sigh:

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

They have some prelim fights streamed for free on youtub right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OS9rytk-lY

For some reason they never advertise this stuff well

Andy Lee is fighting right now

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
That was the best night of boxing in quite some time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Lionel Richie posted:

I think it's that magic time of year when US clocks have gone forward and ours haven't so we'll get it an hour earlier than usual. I wasn't gonna stay up but it turns out you get boxnation with BT Sport these days. You'd think they'd advertise this sort of thing, probably why boxnation is going down the shitter

wait really?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What causes that relative inaction from Golovkin? Was it something visible in the fight, like Jacob's lateral movement and stance switching keeping Golovkin from getting his feet set/finding his rhythm, or something more internal like a possible Golovkin injury or the timing/reflexes not being there? I'm assuming it's a thousand little things that have to be there for the punches to not be forced and since Jacob's is a well regarded boxer/puncher it was harder for Golovkin to have a high punch out.

I guess I'm just noticing that sometimes the skillful activity you're watching in the ring is actually most evidenced by what the opponent isn't doing. Golovkin wasn't as busy in that fight as I thought he would be, but I'm thinking that's Jacob's achievement rather than Golovkin's failure.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I think he wanted to jab Jacobs to death like Lemieux couldn't judge the distance quite right and was wary of the size and reach advantage

Looking forward to a pissed off GGG brutally sacrificing Saunders to the Astana crowd this summer

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
I just wish me and MMM Watcha Say could agree on something for a change :(

Also it seems like Chocolatito just might not be built for anything above flyweight strange as that sounds. He really hasn't had the same explosiveness since moving up when he couldn't put away Arroyo. He was really fading against Cuadras and was bullied by Rungvisai. Might favor him in a rematch but I would definitely be worried if he got in with Inoue who would absolutely dwarf him. I favored Inoue for a while but would worry that the Monster would really hurt Gonzalez.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's no fun to agree on everything

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The SituAsian posted:

I just wish me and MMM Watcha Say could agree on something for a change :(

Also it seems like Chocolatito just might not be built for anything above flyweight strange as that sounds. He really hasn't had the same explosiveness since moving up when he couldn't put away Arroyo. He was really fading against Cuadras and was bullied by Rungvisai. Might favor him in a rematch but I would definitely be worried if he got in with Inoue who would absolutely dwarf him. I favored Inoue for a while but would worry that the Monster would really hurt Gonzalez.

Gonzalez was cool to watch just bodying dudes but at this weight he seems incapable of not having foty's.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Jack B Nimble posted:

What causes that relative inaction from Golovkin? Was it something visible in the fight, like Jacob's lateral movement and stance switching keeping Golovkin from getting his feet set/finding his rhythm, or something more internal like a possible Golovkin injury or the timing/reflexes not being there? I'm assuming it's a thousand little things that have to be there for the punches to not be forced and since Jacob's is a well regarded boxer/puncher it was harder for Golovkin to have a high punch out.

I guess I'm just noticing that sometimes the skillful activity you're watching in the ring is actually most evidenced by what the opponent isn't doing. Golovkin wasn't as busy in that fight as I thought he would be, but I'm thinking that's Jacob's achievement rather than Golovkin's failure.

Jacobs kept moving to prevent GGG from being able to get set. Switching southpaw was another way to change up the look he was giving GGG.

Jacobs really boxed almost a perfect fight. If he didn't get knocked down and he was a touch busier, he may have won on the cards. As it is, I can't see Jacobs not beating everyone else at 160, if he decides to even stay there. It seems like he'd handle himself just fine at 168 as well.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

my hot take is that golovkin is nearly 35 and is on the way out, his legs are shot etc

https://gfycat.com/FairDisfiguredAntipodesgreenparakeet

the absolute state of his chin tho.

best chins of recent times ranked, imo:

vitali
golovkin
floyd
froch
garcia

thehappyprince fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 20, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hello friends I really like MMA but would like to start watching boxing too but it seems very hard to get into as a sport compared to MMA. I've the GGG card from this weekend waiting for me at home but what fighters should I be getting familiar with? I've rewatched old Tyson fights (around the Berbick era) fairly constantly the last few years.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EmmyOk posted:

Hello friends I really like MMA but would like to start watching boxing too but it seems very hard to get into as a sport compared to MMA. I've the GGG card from this weekend waiting for me at home but what fighters should I be getting familiar with? I've rewatched old Tyson fights (around the Berbick era) fairly constantly the last few years.

The pound for pound list in the thread's OP is a good place to start for who's who in current fighters. An updated version will put Ward and Lomachenko front and centre. This thread usually has a pretty good signal to noise ratio, too.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

thehappyprince posted:

my hot take is that golovkin is nearly 35 and is on the way out, his legs are shot etc

https://gfycat.com/FairDisfiguredAntipodesgreenparakeet

the absolute state of his chin tho.

best chins of recent times ranked, imo:

vitali
golovkin
floyd
froch
garcia

Tell me those shots from Jacobs don't knock any other current middleweight into next week.

Jesus loving Christ.

EmmyOk posted:

Welterweight:
Keith Thurman
Kell Brook
Errol Spence
I guess Danny Garcia if you like douchebags

Middleweight:
Gennady Golovkin (seriously)
Danny Jacobs
Canelo Alvarez (lol)
Jermall Charlo (though most of his good stuff is going to be from here on out, I think)

Light Heavyweight:
Sergey Kovalev
Andre Ward
Artur Beterbiev (monster)
Adonis Stevenson (if your thing is dudes who duck)

Heavyweight:
Vladimir Klitschko (he's almost on his way out though)
Anthony Joshua
Deontay Wilder
Tyson Fury (if he's even serious about getting in shape and fighting again)

That's not even mentioning guys in the lower weight classes like Lomachenko, Terence Crawford, Roman Gonzalez, and Mikey Garcia (who are all right around top 10 P4P talents).

ozymandius1024 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 20, 2017

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Just hang in this thread and ask questions as things come up.

Biggest fight in the immediate future is Wladimir Klitschko and Anthony Joshua to decide the best heavyweight in the world.

Good fighters below welterweight:

Jr Welter: Terrence Crawford
Lightweight: Mikey Garcia, Jorge Linares
Super Featherweight: Vasyl Lomachenko, Gervonta Davis, Takashi Miura, Miguel Berchelt, Orlando Salido
Featherweight: Leo Santa Cruz, Carl Frampton
Super Flyweight: Roman Gonzalez, Carlos Cuadras, Nouye Inoue, Juan Francisco Estrada, Khalid Yafai

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

EmmyOk posted:

Sites like Badlefthook, Boxingscene, and Fightnews are very helpful to keep track of what is going on in the sport.

Outside of the heavyweight division, fighters that appear most often on pound for pound top 10 lists are also the most relevant fighters to follow.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Brook-Spence set for May 27 in Sheffield. It will be on ppv in the uk but on Showtime in the US. Big ups to my ultimate boy 'Showtime' Stevie Espinoza.

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/new...medium=referral

https://twitter.com/ShowtimeBoxing/status/844556125370531840

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm seeing a fair amount of debate around on who is the "new #1" now that Chocolatito lost. I was never quite as big on Chocolatito as others and hadn't considered him as a #1 guy, but I still think his loss and Golovkin's win over Jacobs makes the question of who the best active fighter in the world is a lot muddier. ESPN now has Golovkin as their #1 pound for pound, with Ward, Loma, Kova and Gonzalez rounding off the top five. (I still think Manny Pacquiao deserves to be in there; they have him a spot behind Canelo.)

I still think Ward's win over Kovalev and overall record still wins out over GGG, but now I think Golovkin has a strong case. Danny Jacobs may not be some hugely accomplished boxer but at the very worst he's at the same level as David Lemieux, and with the performance he gave against Golovkin it seems he's perhaps a good bit better than that. Would any other middleweight have beaten Danny Jacobs that night? I'm not sure, I certainly can't think of anyone I would have picked over him.

Regardless it's an interesting time for boxing. This is probably the first time in a while that the sport does not have a clear marquee #1 fighter. In the past thirty years we've had Sugar Ray Leonard, Pernell Whitaker, Roy Jones Jr. and Floyd Mayweather place pretty clear if not always uncontested claims as the best in the sport. Among ESPN's top five fighters today, two are coming off close and somewhat controversial wins, two are coming off controversial losses, and the fifth guy has eight professional fights.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I feel like Chocolatito more or less won that fight, and GGG didn't, so in my rankings that don't matter at all, Chocolatito is still number 1.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Is boxing experiencing something of a resurgence or does it just seem that way because my friends and I are watching it more?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
At least around here it feels like mma is no longer a unifying blue collar passion, so there's just more room for me to quietly enjoy boxing without having to hear poo poo from someone in a rapture shirt. Rupture? Anyway I feel like boxing is enjoying a comfortable niche instead of always being compared to another combat sport.

Edit: affliction shirt

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i feel like boxing's in a bit of a lull if anything since floyd retired from his position as end boss of boxing

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Imo boxing is settling into a decent groove in 2017/late 2016

We were definitely in weird period for a bit after the Maypac fight, but we've been doing well in terms of quality matchmaking and fights and it look like the mma community is taking a bit more notice too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Re: p4p discussion-

I now have Ward #1, and you may remember a month ago I was making an argument for GGG. GGG's general domination and cruel, decisive victories were the tiebreaker for me in his favour, but that mystique is gone, and Ward's win over Kovalev is now in my mind the most impressive thing in current boxing.

Ward just needs to get more active now.

Re: Boxing's resurgence-

I have only one person outside of this thread with whom I discuss boxing.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
It depends where you are, it's definitely had a resurgence in the UK under that cheeky chappie Eddie Hearn

I'm under the impression that the only people that care about boxing in the US nowadays are latinos and old black guys

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
So is ward gonna fight again or what? Is he gonna fight krusher, or anyone, or just sorta hang out for awhile again

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

david carmichael posted:

So is ward gonna fight again or what? Is he gonna fight krusher, or anyone, or just sorta hang out for awhile again

I thought he and kovalev were supposed to rematch this summer?

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I wouldn't count on a ward kovalev rematch

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yep I haven't heard anything about a potential rematch in months. But as far as big fights go there aren't a lot of options for Ward at the moment. Stevenson has a fight set in April and supposedly has to defend against Elieder Alvarez next, Beterbiev is doing his own thing with (as far as I've heard) no stated interest in Ward, Badou Jack is moving up in weight but I can't imagine he goes for Ward immediately. There's Nathan Cleverly but I haven't heard anything of what he's up to. That really leaves Ward with Kovalev, a tune up vs nobody, or retirement.

edit: As I say all that, a quick google search tells me Kovalev signed a rematch contract and is waiting for Ward:
http://www.boxingnews24.com/2017/03/ward-vs-kovalev-rematch-hbo-ppv/

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
How disappointed do I get to be of the anti climax that is ward refusing a mandatory challenger and getting stripped of his title? I was too young when my hero big George did that so this is my chance.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 24, 2017

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

You can be as disappointed as you like, you shouldn't be surprised though where Ward is concerned

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Wellborne Morisson is some fun poo poo

These commentators are giving me anxiety

Ninja PD fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 25, 2017

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Not sure why the Linares/Crolla rematch is happening but it should be good so whatever. If you were to build the perfect boxer you'd end up with something like Linares, he just inexplicably folds sometimes, out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Lionel Richie posted:

Not sure why the Linares/Crolla rematch is happening but it should be good so whatever. If you were to build the perfect boxer you'd end up with something like Linares, he just inexplicably folds sometimes, out of nowhere.

Between his paper-thin skin and propensity for just that it's amazing Linares has gotten as far as he has. Even forgetting Emmanuel Steward's "one of the best boxer's I've ever seen in my life" which he never could have lived up to.