Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey it's the most exciting night of boxing in a year and I'm going to half rear end an OP for you. I would have liked to a big one, but I'm beat.

There are a lot of stories here tonight, but it'd be silly to not address the big one out of the gate: Gennady Gennadyevich Golovkin is the most exciting star in boxing right now and he's finally found himself a real challenger.

The Champ: Gennady "GGG" Golovkin

If you've followed boxing to any degree within the past few years, you've probably heard of this guy. He's the sort of fighter that builds legends. Hailing from Kazakhstan, he's had to go a long way to move from obscurity to the forefront of the sport. He's really earned it though, do yourself a favour and search youtube some of his highlight reels. You'll find a lot.

Over the past few years Golovkin has been on a quest to collect all the belts in the middleweight division and then command ultimate power and take over the world. He's picked up 3 of the 4 belts he needs, despite being one of the most avoided fighters in the sport. Notably, one of the most popular boxers vacated his belt rather than fighting Golovkin. In this fight, he's making a mandatory defense against Danny Jacobs, who holds the minor version of the WBA belt. In defeating Jacobs, he hopes to purify the WBA belt into one, much more powerful belt.

Out of the ring, Golovkin has built up a bit of a reputation as humble and nice guy, with that type of awkward charm you can only get from somebody learning english while on the job. He has a lot of fun and goofy catchphrases developed through that language barrier, "Respect box" "He is good boy"
and his favourite "I want to put on Big Drama Show"

Inside the ring though, he's a stone cold motherfucker. This is the part that makes him so much fun to watch. He boxes very well, he moves effectively, he's got a granite chin and he hits hard. Really hard. He's on a 23 KO streak. He's not a one punch guy either, his favourite tool is his jab, but after working over guys for a number of rounds, they just can't keep up anymore and succumb to his unearthly power. It might sound like I'm being a bit too reverent here, but GGG does always come across as a bit strange. The most terrifying thing he does is smile in the ring. He loves fighting, and whenever an opponent gets him with a really good shot, he starts grinning ear to ear. I can't imagine how disheartening that would be.

If somebody was going to beat GGG, they'd have to be able to stare death in the face and not blink.

The Challenger: Daniel "Miracle Man" Jacobs

Jacobs has the best story in boxing right now. Jacobs was a fairly typical American prospect with a big punch 10 years ago. An exciting fighter who's career was unfortunately derailed by two unexpected events. The first is a fellow named Dimitry Pirog, who knocked Jacobs out in 2010. This was a big deal at the time, but it's worth nothing that Pirog was a very good fighter in his own right and their were high expectations for him before he sustained a career ending back injury. Back to Jacobs, his rebuilding period was interrupted when he was diagnosed with a very serious case of bone cancer. He's since recovered, earning him the moniker of "Miracle Man"

There were obviously questions about his ability to perform in the ring after these setbacks, but Jacobs has arguably been a better boxer since his come back from cancer and he's built his way back to the top of the division, where he is now ranked at a comfortable #2. He is the underdog here, but make no mistake, he's the most dangerous opponent that Golovkin has faced yet, and poses a serious threat to the undefeated champion. They're both power punchers, but Jacobs is a one punch power guy with fast hands and active combinations. He starts quickly.

The Undercard

Wait don't leave yet! The undercard is good too!

Roman Gonzalez vs Srisaket Sor Rungvisai

Gonzalez is thought by many to be the best boxer in the world. Srisaket Sor Rungvisai is not considered to be the best boxer in the world by anybody, but he is pretty good and there's reason to believe he could pose a problem here. Gonzalez has gone up a few weight divisions and there are signs he's been struggling a bit as he moves up. His last fight was his first one at Super Flyweight and he barely scraped a decision against Carlos Cuadras. Cuadras was the de facto #1 ranked fight in the division, so a competitive fight wasn't a surprise, but ctrl v Srisaket Sor Rungvisai does have a natural size advantage over Gonzalez and has some pretty serious pop on his punches. He's a good fighter, and while he's not the biggest challenge Gonzalez has faced, he's a top 10 guy in the division and he's there to win. Gonzalez's long time trainer also passed away late last year and this will be his first fight in quite some time without him. Will that have an impact on the fight? Maybe!

Carlos Cuadras vs Daniel Carmona

Hey there's Cuadras right now. This is basically a stay busy showcase fight for him, while we wait for a rematch with Gonzalez. Carmona is probably a fair and decent fighter, but on paper he's not supposed to be a challenge for Cuadras. If they both win their fights, Cuadras and Gonzalez are expected to rematch each other later in the year.

Ryan Martin vs Bryant Cruz

I don't really know anything about these guys other than that they're both American lightweight prospects and Martin is the one considered to have more potential. One paper it's a good 4th billed fight though, a meeting of two guys relatively early in their careers, ready to step up in competition.

Other stuff

Andy Lee is fighting on the untelevised portion of the undercard. I'm not sure why they're not showing it as part of the broadcast. Andy Lee is a fun Irish former champion who's career lurched to a halt 2 years back. He's believed to be GGG's backup plan for if he fails to land either of the two big names (Saul Alvarez or Billy Joe Saunders) later this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

They have some prelim fights streamed for free on youtub right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OS9rytk-lY

For some reason they never advertise this stuff well

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I haven't actually seen Jacobs since he lost to Pirog but I'm reliably told that he's quite good now? and Golovkin has been getting maybe a bit overly gung ho lately? So it might not just be the usual steam rollering? no?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lionel Richie posted:

I haven't actually seen Jacobs since he lost to Pirog but I'm reliably told that he's quite good now? and Golovkin has been getting maybe a bit overly gung ho lately? So it might not just be the usual steam rollering? no?

he's supposed to be legitimately really good now.

golovkin has been playing with his food, but didn't against lemieux, and there's no reason to think he's going to gently caress around with someone as dangerous as jacobs is supposed to be

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jacobs is definitely only getting better. I guess that happens when you give somebody a new lease on life.

A lot has been made about whether Golovkin is getting better or worse. I don't think he's gotten any worse, but I also don't believe that he just takes shots to entice other fighters to go against him like his fans say.

He definitely changes style based on opponent though. Against Lemieux he did some textook boxing and worked the jab all night. His last two fights against Wade and Brook he clearly didn't give much a poo poo and went for a KO as soon as possible, but most people didn't see either of those guys giving him much of a challenge.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

people said the same things before pirog tho

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

brook would've done ggg if he was a middleweight lets be honest tho lads

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Brook isn't that much smaller than GGG. He fought at 154 for a lot of his career and people forget GGG is a fairly small middleweight.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Nice write up.

I'm buying this one on ringtv.com couldn't find out one way or the other if it's the HBO crew or not. Here's hoping it's a good stream, as someone without a cable subscription I'd be very happy to see more fights go with online streaming.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm getting the PPV tonight, but the online one is something I might try out in the future if the reports on this one are positive

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'm getting the PPV tonight, but the online one is something I might try out in the future if the reports on this one are positive

There was no pre-show, which was really obnoxious. Just a blank screen awaiting 9pm, that's still blank at the time of this post

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Looks like the online stream isn't the HBO feed if that's something that's important to anyone.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

the americanism 'coming out party' is so weird

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

Looks like the online stream isn't the HBO feed if that's something that's important to anyone.

yeah, it's pretty important to me, I'm an HBO homeboy and need my Kellerman

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Hard to believe these guys are in the same weight class. Martin looks so much bigger.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The stream seems to have been rebooted with better quality picture but no commentary. Change for the better imo.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Boxing in general is missing a trick by not having a no commentary option

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Still no commentary on this stream lol.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Ninth Layer posted:

$65 well spent :sigh:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The Ninth Layer posted:

Digging the hell out of it thus far

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Don't see how Jacobs has any more chance than Lemieux did tbh

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah it's kind of like being at the venue. I usually end up doing all the commentary with whoever I'm watching the fight with anyway.

Good stoppage, Cruz had nothing on offense and it looked like he was on his way to being stopped too.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Haha okay looks like they got the commentary back up.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It seems like there's some issue where they can have good picture quality or audio commentary but not both?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
cuadras looking good. it's cool that ggg is teaming up with these rad little guys and giving them exposure

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The Ninth Layer posted:

It seems like there's some issue where they can have good picture quality or audio commentary but not both?

Lmfao...

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Well okay looks like they finally sorted the picture quality out. If it looks and sounds like this for the main event I'll be happy.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jacobs looks huge. He forfeited a chance at the IBF title by skipping their mandatory weigh in this morning. Now looks as though that could have to do with how heavy he's coming into the ring

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

Jacobs looks huge. He forfeited a chance at the IBF title by skipping their mandatory weigh in this morning. Now looks as though that could have to do with how heavy he's coming into the ring

good. it'll be a better gauge on how ggg would do at super middle more substantial than knocking out kovalev in sparring rumors

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
Good OP, excited for Chocolatito and GGG

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cuadras has not impressed me too much

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Good use of the strategic low blow by Carmona

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

holy poo poo this body shot war is sick. it was dirty by carmona with those low blows but it really seems to have turned the tide

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Lionel Richie posted:

Good use of the strategic low blow by Carmona

blows

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Cuadras has not impressed me too much

i've got a feeling that carmona would make a lot of great fighters look ok.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Cuadras but only just for me

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Cuadras taking that last round should secure him that fight imo.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

i'd have had him up regardless but yeah that secured it imo. the first six weren't close.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

me too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

all scorecards good

• Locked thread